Adventures abroad

Balancing act

Jin excitedly read the letter sitting on the countertop in the kitchen. He smiled proudly. 

"You have been invited to come study abroad with us in Los Angeles, California..." Read the note.

Jin could barely contain his emotions. He immediately called his mom and dad telling them the news. Both screamed with happiness. 

"When do you leave?" His mom asked.

"In two weeks!" 

As soon as his mom got home, her and Jin ran to the store to start packing for his trip. He excitedly ram around the store throwing everything and anything in the cart. After a lot of running around, the three of them met up to go out to dinner to celebrate the news. 

"Maybe you'll meet a cute American girl!" His mom teased.

Jin laughed, shrugging.

"I don't know, maybe. But I'm supposed to just be there for studying." He answered.

His mom smiled.

"Yes. But you never know, honey." 

The next few weeks seemed the drag on for Jin. He felt so excited but nervous. He stayed up late at night constantly thinking about how it would be when he was finally in America. He felt confident that he'd be able to make lots of friends and hopefully people to help him with his English. He knew he would be living in a shared dorm house with but he hadn't seen or met the others yet. Early on the  morning of his flight, he quickly moved around making sure he had everything he could possibly need. 

"I'll call you as soon as I get there." He said.

"Yes! Do well. Study hard. Make good choices! Don't let people make bad decisions for you!" He mom called as he was leaving the car.

Once he got through TSA, he sat in a cafe near his flight gate patiently waiting and sipping his coffee until it was near the time to leave. An hour passed and finally, it's time to go. He took a deep breath and found his way to his seat, leaning against the window. Many hours later, Jin finally made it to America. He stretched, cracking his knuckles and neck. It was late at night, he took a taxi to his dorm. Yawning and rubbing his eyes, he smiled happily. He was finally here. Jin knocked on the door. No answer. He looked over the address once more, worried he might've had the wrong address. Finally after one more knock, someone answered. A short black haired boy with adorable chubby cheeks. He rubbed his eyes, staring.

"Uh...hi?" He said.

Jin stated quietly, cheeks turning red. He bowed quickly.

"H-hi...I'm...Jin...I'm the new exchange student-"

"Oh! Yea. Okay come on." He said yawning.

"So..it's late. I'll show the house tomorrow but your room is right here. There's 6 others here. A lot of them have jobs. Some have a couple of jobs. Go ahead and get ready for bed and we'll see you tomorrow. By the way, I'm Jimin. Welcome to America, nice to meet you." He said with a smile.

Jin nodded, smiling.

"Thank you." He said bowing one more time before getting ready for bed. 

He quickly texted his parents saying he made it safely to the dorms.