The Red Velvet

The Reckless Racoon and the Tame Tigress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So did you give her the gift?"

"Yeah."

"And...?"

"And nothing. That was a waste of my time."

Yeri frowned. "Impossible. Wendy didn't say anything at all?"

"She said "Thank you". The end."

"Well, you're hopeless," Yeri sighed, waving her arms in defeat. 

"Yes I am, because I trusted your foolishness. I am never listening to your advice again about what to do with my relationship."

"Oh please," Yeri scoffed. "That relationship of yours is fake."

Irene rolled her eyes. She was a fool for listening to Yeri and her dumb suggestions.

 

Wendy had been staring at the red velvet cupcake nestled on the kitchen island, ever since she returned from work. She had her arms atop the surface, with chins propped in the palms of her hands. 

"If you have no intention of eating it, I am gobbling that down my throat in one mouth," Joy commented.

"I don't understand," Wendy muttered. She turned to Joy. "I don't get it. Why did she get me a cupcake as a token of apology? You know what surprised me? The fact that she apologised. Her younger sister told me that Irene never apologises."

"Then I guess you're the only exception. Afterall, you are her fiancee. She's probably trying hard to please you so that you don't back out from the agreement."

"That would make her a pain in the , then."

"You would be a pain in the if you're not going to let me eat that," Joy corrected as her index finger pointed in the direction of the cupcake.

 

"Why am I always called to your office?"

"Because you're my fiancee and I have to make that loud and clear in the office."

"Says who?"

"Says I. My grandfather will be making his rounds in the office. I don't know when he will check in, but I figured it would be better to have more of your presence here. Just in case he decides to ask my staff questions about the frequency of your visits here."

It annoyed Wendy slightly every time Irene spoke so matter-of-factly. Her tone was always so dry, laced with disinterest, yet at the same time had a twinge of authority.

"Why are you so worried about what he thinks?" Wendy wondered aloud, her eyes scanning each nook and cranny of Irene's private office. It was bland, like Irene. Nothing about the private office made it inviting for anyone to stay long enough. It felt like a mortuary, where the dead only came. 

"That's none of your business."

"Fair enough."

Wendy glanced over to the transparent glass that allowed her to view the employees outside Irene's personal office. "Are your staff afraid of you?"

"I don't care about how they feel or think of me."

"How would you describe your leadership style?"

"10 out of 10."

"What a load of nonsense," Wendy sniggered. "Do you know the welfare of my staff is something I highly value? I prioritise their well-being, that's why they love working in my school. The turnover rate is close to 0%. You know, team work makes the dream work. Maybe you might want to look into the psychological well-being of your staff. It will probably answer your question."

Irene stopped her work and trailed her gaze to Wendy's face. "What question?"

"Why your department's performance is dipping."

"Who told you?"

"No one has to tell me that. At one glance upon entering your department, I could already tell. I am afterall, a leader too."

Irene smirked. "You're pretty smart."

"No Irene, I am pretty and smart." Wendy's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter