The Trip: Vienna

The Reckless Racoon and the Tame Tigress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anyone in Irene's position would have been shocked at that unexpected relevation. Irene was stunned, and her heart felt like it was about to leap out of her ribcage. 

"Wh-what did you say?" She wanted to make sure she had heard it right, from the blonde, and that she was not hearing things. Taking in deep and long breaths did nothing to help her heartbeat slow down to a reasonable rate.

"I said I like you."

Irene wanted an elaboration. It was too vague of an answer. "Like a friend? Or what? Or more than that?" It sounded as if she was demanding for an answer. Unabashedly, she was. 

"Something like that," Wendy responded inaudibly, her head still on Irene's shoulder. She hadn't budged at all, throughout the conversation she had been maintaining with Irene.

Irene was beginning to feel desperate. "Something like what?" She asked, with a tone of slight frustration in her voice.

She waited for an answer.

As always. Like how it usually happened when Wendy stayed overnight at Soo Man's house and she was always babbling and leaving conversations hanging. 

In the end, all Irene got as a reply was light snores from Wendy.

Hell, she doubted the blonde was even aware of her confession.

 

"It's time for breakfast," Irene said, gently tapping Wendy's lap.

It was taking every cell in her body to restrain herself from violently shaking the girl awake. It was simply to show that she had been raging for the past few hours. Irene hadn't slept throughout the flight. Wendy's unfinished business left her so frustrated that it kept her wide awake. 

"That was a good sleep," Wendy said groggily, covering as she yawned. She looked at Irene, eyes rapidly blinking to rub away the sleep. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Irene replied. It was best to keep her replies short so that her frustration wouldn't show. "Someone had a very good sleep." She forced herself to speak more, thinking it would probably appease her anger by redirecting her attention.

Wendy stretched her arms and leaned her head to the side to crack her neck. She faced Irene with a playful smile etched on her face. "Oh yes, I have to thank my Joohyun for that."

Irene's ears perked up. Something as clear and audible as that would not go unheard. "Can you repeat what you just said?" 

"Thank you for letting me sleep soundly?"

"No you said something else. You called me by my Korean name, Joohyun."

"Yeah I did." Wendy nodded slowly, slightly bewildered by Joohyun's urgent tone. "You've got a nice Korean name. Maybe I should start calling you that."

Irene wasn't sure how to feel about Wendy's compliment, on top of the fact that the blonde was considering to call her Joohyun. Irene had a hunch that Wendy was up to something, but she decided to give the blonde a benefit of the doubt. Maybe Wendy was just being honest and friendlier than usual. "Do you remember what you said before you sleep?"

"Yes I do."

As a seed of hope began to blossom, Irene was a bit more positive. Maybe this time Wendy would actually give an explanation for what she had said earlier, before dozing off.  "What did you say?" she asked nervously, eyeing the facial expression of the blonde.

It was nerve-wrecking to say the least, Irene felt like she had been interrogating Wendy the whole time.

Wendy moved closer. "I thanked you for always looking out for me." She pulled away, giggling softly as she proceeded to retrieve the menu of their next meal which had been tucked in the backseat pocket.

"Forget it," Irene grumbled. Trying to get any answers out of Wendy was an impossible feat.

The blonde was far too smart at dodging questions. 

 

The most joyful thing about taking a night flight was the empty immigration area during the wee hours in the morning that greeted the pair after they disembarked from the airplane. Clearing the immigration was a breeze for them, and they did not have to wait long to claim their baggages.

"Is someone fetching us?"

"No." Irene unlocked her phone to check if her network had already switched to the local one, since she was expecting a message. "But someone is coming to send us a car." 

"You'll be driving?"

"Yes, I always drive when I have business trips."

"Won't you be jet-lagged?"

"I'm used to it," Irene shrugged. "Are you? We can just rest the whole of today at the hotel if you'd prefer that."

"That's fine, I think I can manage. It'll be boring to just stay in."

"Good, then I'll bring you around later in the afternoon," Irene smiled, before swiping the screen of her phone to answer a call. 

 

Wendy finally understood what Irene meant by the money spent on a business class ticket would be better used on the actual trip. The hotel which they resided in was one of the tallest skycrapers in the capital city. 

The presidential suite boasted a glorious panoramic view of the city centre. It had a bedroom with a king-sized bed, a spacious dining area, kitchenette, a private office area with a desk, and the marble bathroom was equipped with a jacuzzi tub and a shower area installed with a rain shower head. A deluxe room was even connected to the suite.

The luxury suite exhibited its grandeur through its Hermes-themed interior setting, together with its high-end furniture and appliances. The chandelier in the living room further emphasized the elegance of the suite with its Swarovski crystal prisms illuminating the entire space.

To top it off, there was a grand piano, reflecting the essence of Vienna - the city of music.

"How much does this entire suite cost?" Wendy wondered aloud, still reeling in from the astonishment. 

"I don't think the price tag matters." Irene mumbled a quick thanks after the bell-boy left their baggages in the suite. "Do you want to sleep separately? I got them to connect the suite to the deluxe room, in case you want your own private space at night."

"Sure," Wendy agreed, wheeling her baggage into the deluxe room. The room was as equally elegant, with its lofty ceiling and tall windows letting abundant natural light in. 

"Don't you want to shower?"

"Ah," Wendy yelped, reflexively putting her hand over her chest. Irene's sudden appearance at the door had startled her. "You scared me," she chided the COO.

Irene fought the smile threatening to surface upon witnessing Wendy's cute reaction.

"You're showering now?" Wendy asked. 

"Well, yes, because we've not showered for more than half a day. And you don't know what kind of germs you've been collecting on the way to the hotel." Irene displayed a look of disgust, earning a chuckle from Wendy.

"I didn't know you're a germaphobe."

"No I am not, I just happen to have a respectable sense of hygiene."

"Eh," Wendy snorted, "if praising yourself fuels your current state of ego, then I'll let you be."

Current state of ego? Irene squinted at Wendy briefly, wondering if the latter was trying to insinuate something that she knew. "We can shower together," Irene suggested with a smug smile. If Wendy was playing games with her, then she would do the same. 

Wendy quirked an eyebrow. "Ha, when did you get so bold?"

"When I realise you're reliant on me."

"Yeah, I am. You like that, don't you?"

"Why won't I? It means I am in control."

"Funny how you're the one who's been listening to me all this while, yet you claim you're the one in control."

"I am, you just don't know it yet," Irene responded cockily. "Go shower. We're heading out at 2pm to have a walk around the old town. I'll call room service to deliver us lunch so we don't have to be out so early."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter