The Reliable One

The Reckless Racoon and the Tame Tigress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before the lights were switched back on, Wendy managed to quickly wipe away her tears, dabbing her face to remove any trail of tears on her cheeks. She moved her head from Irene's shoulder, mouthing a soft "Thank you" as a grateful smile decorated her face.

Irene acknowledged it with a small smile.

"Thank you and enjoy your weekends!" ended the two hosts before the curtains were drawn. 

"I'll bring Wendy home first. She's not too well," Irene told her family.

"You're not going to bring her back home with us?" Tiffany asked with a worried look.

Soo Man was equally worried. "Do you need to go to the hospital, Wendy? You don't look well."

Wendy wanted to reply. But Irene beat her to it. "You don't have to worry. I'll take care of her and make sure she's fine before I send her home," she responded assuringly. "Come, let's go first before the parking area gets crowded."

The blonde nodded weakly. She stood, giving the family a bow before turning away to hold onto Irene's arm for support.

"Do you need me to carry you?" Irene asked, eyeing Wendy intensely as she held the blonde by the waist.

"It's fine, I can manage," she answered, averting her gaze.

 

Wendy remained quiet as she settled in the front passenger seat next to Irene. The intensity of Irene's gaze hadn't decreased and it was making the blonde slightly uncomfortable. She shifted a few times in her seat.

"Here," Irene said as she handed a Werther's candy to Wendy. "There's chocolate filling inside. You need the endorphins."

Wendy suddenly burst into a laughter at Irene's response. She opened the wrapper and popped the candy into . "I've never had this before. And I thought you're not into sugary stuff."

"I bought it for Rose. It keeps shut when she bugs me in the car."

"It's yummy. I like it."

"There's more in the storage compartment. I got a few packs for Rose. You can take one if you need," Irene said, driving the car out of the parking lot. "You need some fresh air."

 

Cool air greeted the two when they stepped out of the car. Irene brought out her long padded jacket and handed it to Wendy. "Wear it," she said. After Wendy had put on the jacket, Irene bent down slightly to pull the zipper up. "It's cold, so you need to zip up."

"That's sweet of you," Wendy said, touched by the thoughtful gesture which she wasn't expecting from Irene. 

Irene's lip curved upward to form a small smile. "You wouldn't need the jacket if your outfit wasn't so revealing."

"Well, I wouldn't need the jacket if you didn't bring me here," Wendy responded in a lighthearted manner.

Irene didn't reply. She sat on the bench, which overlooked the Han River. Wendy followed suit, keeping a gap between herself and Irene.

"I can see why you previous partner fell for you." 

"That's random. Why do you think so?"

"You're reliable and thoughtful."

"Those qualities didn't keep her by my side."

Wendy contemplated her next choice of words. "Yeri said it was mutual. Was it?" she asked carefully, hoping it didn't sound invasive. 

"It was," Irene nodded. "But I think we wanted very different things in life at the point in time."

"Oh."

"Are you okay?" Irene asked, eyes searching Wendy to make sure she was okay.

"Yeah. The caramel helped a lot," Wendy chuckled. "Thank you."

Irene smiled. "You're welcome."

"Do you always come here?"

"I used to. When I needed to clear my head. What about you?"

"Me?"

"Do you have a go-to place to clear your head?"

Wendy pondered awhile. "Not really. I like to cook. So whenever my head's a mess I would cook."

"So your go-to place is the kitchen," Irene came to a conclusion. 

"Yeah, you can say that." Wendy chortled. "You're a kind person. Beneath the icy exterior. It's refreshing to see this side of you."

"You're a caring person too." Irene maintained her neutral expression. It sounded almost robotic. "I have never met someone who could tolerate my temper this long."

"I don't really have a choice, do I?" Wendy laughed, causing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter