Chapter 5

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Please Welcome Jaebum, the second youngest one to join TAD board" Seulgi, the HR director said in their meeting as Jaebum stepped into the room.

Jaebum bowed with a smile to the board members and said: "Hello, I'm Jaebum, the new logistics director, please take care of me,"

The board members smiled and clapped for him. He smiled back, locking his eyes with certain surprising ones. He grinned at her and excused himself to sit. He went to her and sat next to her.

“Congratulations, You deserve all the best," She whispered.

"Thank you, Jennie" he smiled at her then both of them focused on the meeting.

Jennie couldn't say that she focused on the meeting. Jaebum's sudden presence in the meeting was something she didn't expect., she falsely hoped that after their little talk at the cafe, they would talk more and would tell each other things like that. But Jaebum hadn't texted her since that day. He would like some of her social posts, but nothing more. He would be online but wouldn't text her and it somehow made her think that it was just a casual talk to drop their awkwardness.

The meeting ended earlier than she thought and luckily, the recap of the meeting made her understand the most important issues discussed in the meeting. Once Seulgi announced the end of the meeting, Jennie got up while gathering her stuff. She could feel Jaebum's eyes on her.

"So, we are working together now?" He asked.

“Mostly, yes,"

“And you won't treat me for a coffee to celebrate with me?” He said with a grin. Jennie finally looked up at him. She didn't expect he still remembered that. Getting no response from her, he continued, "You owe me coffee, remember?”

"I still remember! Okay, fine! Let's have coffee together in the break," She said with a fake grumpy face. He chuckled and nodded.

They walked out of the meeting room, they parted away to their departments with a smile on their faces.

_____________________________________

Jennie had college on the weekdays and worked on her weekend, and that day was a hectic day at work. They were a lot of typos in the content, the designs had some things to get fixed and clients and audiences were too demanding that day.

"Okay, Guys! After the break; Taehyung, edit the design, it's too bright... Yoongi, Instagram messages are piling up, check them out at ASAP... Jimin, Check out our emails," She ordered her team members. She saw them nod, then sighed.

She put her hands on her face and closed her eyes. She was so tired and needed some rest. She heard someone knocking on her desk. She rubbed her face before opening her eyes to see Jaebum leaning on her desk.

"Tough day?" He asked in concern. She hummed with a nod then got up and took her bag.

"Let's go," she said with a tired smile. He smiled and motioned her to lead them. They went to a new Vietnamese cafe nearby. Jennie plumbed on her seat as Jaebum took the seat in front of her. They saw a waiter coming with a smile to take their order.

"What would you like to order?"

"I want French hazelnut coffee, please,"

"I want egg coffee, please" Jaebum ordered the waiter left. Jennie arched her left eyebrow at his order.

"Egg coffee? What is that?" She asked.

"It's the local Vietnamese coffee, during some war, they couldn't afford to have milk to put it with coffee so they used eggs and it becomes a local coffee since then." He explained.

"Wow, you know a lot about this, I know that they have a lot of coffee types but didn't know that they had a background history of them,"

"I'm a coffee addict, that's why,"

“Good for you!” Jennie replied awkwardly and silently cursed herself silently to say something like this. Jaebum chuckled.

“You should taste mine,"

"Ugh! No, its okay really “Jennie protested. As her luck ditched her again, the waiter came with their coffee at that moment.

“I insist. It's just a sip,“ Jaebum said as he held his cup and put it in front of her lips.

Jennie looked at him at first, then at the cup. She lowered her head, opened as her lips touched the cup of warmth. Jaebum tilted the cup a little to have the coffee slip in . His fingers that were holding the cup touched the jaw that made Jennie look at him again to see him staring at her. Jennie drew back and coughed, then looked away, avoiding his gaze.

"Jennie?" Jaebum called her to look at him. She looked at him to see him holding tissue with his hand that within a second it was on her lips wiping . Jennie got surprised by the action. It didn't take seconds, but Jennie could feel something warm spreading in her. She only saw this in Webtoon and dramas and never thought Jaebum would do something cringy like that. She giggled, making him arch his eyebrow in confusion.

"So, how’s coffee?" Jaebum asked, reminding her of the reason for what just happened.

"Oh! Yeah, it's good, it's sweet, not what I expected,"

"Good" Jaebum replied with a smile as he took a sip of his coffee. Jennie took a sip of hers, not sure what she should say. So Jaebum tried to say something again.

"So, the board is good, should I be careful about something?" Jaebum asked.

"They are nice and friendly, I think being respectful is enough,"

"I can do that, actually I never thought a day would come to work with you or sit with you," Jaebum said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter