City of saints

Sonata from Autumn to winter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The gray-haired immortal being was standing on the top of a cathedral inside the city of saints, as vampires would call it. 

To be more exact, she was on the roof of St Peter's Basilica, in Vatican City, and the reason for that was Francesco’s personal invitation.

The Italian king, one of the original vampires who made a deal with Moonbyul a couple of centuries before, sent her a letter explaining he got precious information inside the pope’s territory and he summoned the powerful woman.

Although the former human didn’t trust anyone, she always respected Francesco among all kings, and that might also be her only chance to find a way to end her existence. So she decided to go for it.

The night was quiet, as if a powerful force had frozen time and space.

It was 12:22 when the handsome and charismatic vampire heard a male’s call in her mind, just near the surface. Afterall, the Italian king knew he had no power to invade that head. 

Moonbyul knew exactly where to go and how to reach the destination.

3 minutes later, the vampire reaper was deep inside one of the most protected and sacred Catholic church buildings and the guards had been put in a sleep by her.

Francesco looked healthier and better presented than the other times they met years before.

There was a woman covered in a black cloak, standing at a good distance from them, and Moonbyul heard her heartbeat.

That was a human, even though she didn’t fear any of the two creatures who could end her existence in a second.

__ This is Agnes, the key-bearer.__ Francesco introduced the stranger without ceremonies.

__ What the hell does this even mean?__ The gray-haired vampire said with annoyance.

The woman glanced at the famous monster and responded in Francesco’s place:

__ I have the tools to open the gates of heaven and hell.

__ But you are just a fragile creature...__ Moonbyul was feeling suspicious.

The black-haired woman smirked:

__ Aren’t we all, Ms. Moon Byul-yi?

The vampire raised her eyebrow:

__ How do you know my name?

__ I know many things. You are very... famous. Even the Pope knows about you.

Moonbyul grunted and turned her back to leave the underground of the cathedral:

__ Huh? Why the would a mere mortal know or have any interest in me? Francesco, this woman must have lost her mind. I am leaving.

__ If you go now, I’m afraid you may never get some of the answers you seek.__ Agnes’ voice sounded like a drop of water hitting the floor of an empty cave.

Francesco sounded exhausted:

__ Crescent, it took me years to find Agnes. Although she is human, her kind is different. She has been touched by a celestial. She has also been touched by the underworld. Her time is ticking.

Rolling her eyes, the female turned around and asked:

__ Why must we meet in such a terrible place? It smells like death down here.

__ Because some secrets should not be revealed to the living ones. The underground belongs to the dead. They speak no more.

Moonbyul insisted:

__ Hmmm... Alright, creepy lady. I’ll ask again. Why does the pope know me?

The woman started walking deep into the tunnels and the other two followed:

__ You are wasting time on unimportant things. But I’ll satisfy your curiosity. Every pope has received reports about you since you became... what you became. Well, soon you will understand they expected your arrival even before your birth.

Neither Francisco nor Moonbyul said a word until they reached a room with chairs.

The three of them sat and then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter