anything for you

Anything for You

“It’s really not a big deal,” Xuanyi says as Fu Jing finishes dabbing ointment on her legs, being so careful about it Xuanyi can barely feel her touch. “You’re acting like I fractured my legs or something.”

“Shh, don’t say that. Your legs getting damaged is a crime against humanity.”

“Is it now?” Xuanyi says wryly, but she can’t help the way tugs up at the corners. “I wasn’t aware I’m that important.”

“You’re very important, Xuanyi,” Fu Jing says seriously, taking Xuanyi’s hands in her own. “Be careful out there. Don’t get hurt.”

“I just tripped, it was no big deal.”

Fu Jing’s lips pinch into a taut line. “You don’t value yourself enough.”

“Lucky I have you to remind me of my worth, right?” Xuanyi says it lightly, playfully, but she tightens her hold around Fu Jing’s hand, and she knows Fu Jing understands when she squeezes Xuanyi’s hand in return.

“Right. You’re so lucky to have me,” Fu Jing says with the half-cocky, half-shy smile Xuanyi loves. Only Fu Jing could pull off a combination like that.

“I am,” Xuanyi says sincerely.

“Hey,” Fu Jing says in a breathy voice, lowering her lashes. “Do you want to continue this massage somewhere more private?”

Xuanyi swats her on the shoulder. “Why are you always so erted?”

“Why are you always so hot?” Fu Jing counters, and then rubs her shoulder with an exaggerated pout. “And ow, you hit hard.”

“Do you need the ointment?” Xuanyi says wryly, reaching for the tube in Fu Jing’s hand, but Fu Jing snatches it away.

“Hang on, I’m not done with that yet.”

“I swear you’ve done like, ten coats of it already, I think I’m good.”

“You’ll be thanking me later,” Fu Jing tells her.

“And how should I thank you? Won’t I bruise my knees again doing that?” Xuanyi laughs at the deer in headlights look Fu Jing gives her, accompanied with a reddening of her cheeks. Only Fu Jing would casually make an innuendo but then blush when Xuanyi does the same.

“You’re so cute, Jingjing,” Xuanyi says, affection, pure and warm, washing through her voice.

Fu Jing blinks. “Thank you?”

“So cute,” Xuanyi repeats, leaning forward and practically falling against her, burying her face into the crook of her neck. “My Jingjing. Mine.”

Fu Jing is blushing so hard that Xuanyi can feel the heat from her skin, which is probably flushed cherry red. “Xuanyi,” she breathes, and it only enflames Xuanyi further.

“Yes?” Xuanyi murmurs, her fingers dancing up Fu Jing’s thigh.

“You should really have a rest, you really exerted yourself out there.” And then Fu Jing is extricating herself, all while having this concerned expression, but Xuanyi can see the sparkle barely contained in her eyes. That little tease—

“Next time, don’t push yourself so hard,” Fu Jing says with a crease in her brow. “You could have gotten hurt out there.”

“I just wanted to do my best.”

“I know you did, but you don’t have anything to prove, okay? You spraining something wouldn’t have done us any favours.”

Xuanyi frowns. “It wasn’t that serious.”

Fu Jing sighs. “Of course it wasn’t.”

“What’s the matter?” Xuanyi asks softly. “I didn’t get hurt. You don’t have to be so worried.”

Fu Jing’s eyes rove over Xuanyi’s face, and then move to her legs, a sweeping motion that is plenty familiar to Xuanyi, but there’s no heat in Fu Jing’s gaze, only concern and fondness.

“Xiaoxuan,” she says, and Xuanyi almost shivers. “I know how hard on yourself you are. How much you push yourself, sometimes without regard for your health or safety.” She holds up a hand as Xuanyi opens for a rebuke. “Let me finish. I’m not just talking about this time. You’re a workaholic, you can’t deny that. I just want you to take better care of yourself. It’s not a bad thing to give it your all, but it’s also not a good thing to push yourself past your limits all the time.”

Xuanyi is silent.

“And, I know, I know,” Fu Jing continues. “You probably think I’m nagging and worrying too much, but – can you blame me?” She reaches for Xuanyi’s hand and cups it in her own. “Of course I’m happy to remind you, but I want you to think to take care of yourself too. I can’t always be there.”

“You are,” Xuanyi says.

Fu Jing looks confused. “What?”

“You may not always be there with me physically, but you’re always there.” Xuanyi puts her free hand over her heart. “You’re always here with me.”

Fu Jing’s eyes soften, but because she’s Fu Jing, she adds, “That sounds like I’m dead.”

Xuanyi swats her on the shoulder again. “Why do you always have to ruin the moment?”

“I’m sorry,” Fu Jing whines. “That’s just how it sounded, okay? And why do you always have to hit me?”

“Here, accept my sincere apologies,” Xuanyi deadpans, before kissing Fu Jing in a way that makes colour wash over her face again. “Am I forgiven?”

“I might need to be further convinced,” Fu Jing says, and Xuanyi laughs before sealing their mouths together again.

 

“I know you’re concerned about me,” Xuanyi says, idly running a hand through Fu Jing’s hair. She loves it dark like this, but she also misses Fu Jing’s tawny hair from the show. It really made her look like a lion. A lion cub, that is, one whose bark (growl?) was worse than her bite. “I don’t think of it like nagging. I appreciate it, I do.” She presses her lips against Fu Jing’s hair and murmurs the words against the dark tresses. “I know you love me.”

“I do, and I want you to love yourself more too.”

“Is that why you bought me that toy?”

“Xuanyi!” Fu Jing splutters.

“Sorry,” Xuanyi says, struggling to keep a straight face.

“That’s for…whatever.” Fu Jing clears . “I mean it – you don’t value yourself enough. Even if it’s for the Yiyuans and Chaofens, you should take better care of yourself.”

“Okay,” Xuanyi agrees.

Fu Jing’s eyes widen. She clearly hadn’t thought it’d be this easy. “Okay?”

Xuanyi smiles and brushes a hand down Fu Jing’s cheek. “How can I deny the number one Yiyuan?”

Fu Jing swallows, but her expression hasn’t relaxed. “You shouldn’t be doing it for me.”

“I’m not.” At Fu Jing’s unconvinced look, Xuanyi adds, “I mean, I am, partially, but – you’re right. And I know if it were the other way around, I wouldn’t be okay with you neglecting yourself, so. I’ll make more of an effort, okay?”

“Okay,” Fu Jing says softly, the tension in her face finally easing. Xuanyi feels a spike of guilt, at being the reason for it, followed by a wave of affection.

“I know you love me,” Xuanyi repeats, “and you know I love you, right?”

I’d do this for you. I’d do anything for you.

Fu Jing grins. “Of course, you’re the number one Paofu too.”

Xuanyi breaks into a smile. “I am,” she says, and tugs Fu Jing in. “I really am.”