NOTE: Why the journey's over and where it would've gone

A Wrench in the Stars [DISCONTINUED]

Hi everyone. Today's a sad day for me, because I've brought two stories of mine to a halt. I explained a lot of it in the other one, so I'll be inserting some of that explanation into here, as well as more specific things for the story itself. This update/note will also include scenes I'd written for the future. The oldest was sitting in my phone since December. 

The main reason I'm stopping is honestly The Night and the Fae: my first and only completed story so far. To put it short, that story is a good 200,000 words. I love every letter of it and I'm honestly proud. When I was finishing it up, I think I almost wrote 20,000 words in less than a week and that was a tad exhausting. Once I got there, the rest of the stories, which I'd already put on hold, were even farther away when it came to writing for them. 

This all sounds like a load of excuses, which it probably is. In comparison, AWitS is about 73,000 words. Not short, but also not that long. Still, while there's a lot that still needed to happen, I couldn't get to the end I wanted. I also just didn't have the passion I once had to write this. I haven't stopped writing completely. There's another story that's basically 'proof' that I'm still able to write. It just isn't this one, or IJF. I feel really bad that I wasn't able to finish this, but I didn't have a set place where I saw it ending. And point is too far away and I really wouldn't be able to bring the story there in the way I want. I tried to force myself to write things, but I only ever managed max 200 words in a week, if even that. And if a story is a chore for me to write, that's where the writing really stops being fun. 

As for my personal life and how it ties into this, my uni started pretty early and it's a massive amount of work. We're also in two 3-4 hour lectures every day (and I'm complaining) and when I get back to my dorm, my mind is usually not on writing. If it is, it's not this story, or the other ones. This story also started while I was watching Star Wars and the inspiration continued when I played the game Outer Worlds. At the moment, I've got zero sci-fi in my life. I could see myself having a small burst of inspiration for it, but not enough to get this story to 100,000, which is the minimum word count I think the entire story would've needed. 

However, below are some scenes that I'd had prepared for future updates, not just the chapter this was supposed to be. I hope they'll at least be something you'll enjoy!

Scenes

Nayeon sat on the ramp to the Breakthrough, head in her hands. JiU and her team stood by the car, the sympathy on their faces was joined with confusion. They couldn’t understand why what had just happened was devastating. 

The captain looked up and her eyes hardened. 

“Was this the plan?” Nayeon stood. “Get us over here with promises only to leak who we were?” She strode over to her. 

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw SuA reach for her gun. Mina waved her off. 

“There was no plan for this,” Mina replied. “The plan was to keep you safe from discovery.” 

She snorted. “Well it went to anyway, and who’s winning?” Her eyes narrowed. “The people who don’t have to pay up.” 

It made sense. And that was exactly why Mina had to come. The emperor and empress were just as confused as they were. Mina had been at a loss for what to do when she’d seen Dahyun’s face broadcasted across the three systems. 

“You’re still going to get your money and a safe passage out of the system.” She was grateful that Nayeon wasn’t reaching for her. Even with her training, Mina still had no real idea what the ex-Aphroditan was capable of. And then there was the metal arm, a blow from which Mina was certain she’d have a hard time recovering from. “That an identity is known doesn’t change our side of the bargain.”

“One of the pictures was from that Earther raid,” Nayeon said. “They have all our faces and’ll probably get the names too.” 

“I know,” Mina tried to keep her voice level, “so they’ll be wanting something. No demands were made yet, but they’ll come.”

“You mean turning us over to them.” She turned away and looked at the Breakthrough. In that moment, Nayeon only looked worried. 

Mina took that moment to remember several things. Kepler had been Nayeon’s second chance for a proper life. She didn’t know why she needed that chance, but it was clear enough that she did. All of them had each other as their stability, while said stability was ensured by remaining as anonymous as possible. And now one of their leaders, one of the people who’d made this life of theirs possible, had been unmasked before all of human society, spread out across three systems.

Mina went over to her. “Can we go inside?” she whispered. 

Nayeon shot her a questioning look, but she went up the ramp anyway. 

The door to the medical bay was open. Tzuyu sat on one of the beds, looking defeated. Chaeyoung was pacing across the space in front of her. 

“Tell me there’s a new plan,” Nayeon said quietly. Now that the doors had closed behind them, she looked less angry and more lost. “Tell me you know who leaked those pictures.”

_____

There were so many familiar faces around her now. The one Sana was most happy to see was her attendant. 

She was currently posing her lips at the state of Sana’s hair and clothes. 

“Half the system will believe it’s a trend,” Seunghee sighed, “the rest’ll be debating if you were being blackmailed by the width and angle of your smile.”

Sana smiled. She both loved and hated to be reminded of the eyes on her. She loved to remind herself that people still viewed and respected her as their future leader. She hated to see how others tried to tear those things down—tear her down. 

“But what sort of care do they have on a ship like that?” She brushed through Sana’s freshly dried hair, getting out the remaining knots. “No conditioner, oil, anything?” 

“The main thing is to be clean and not smell terrible,” Sana replied. 

Seunghee huffed. “And I suppose they did that well. People were expecting all manner of creatures to emerge from that ship. Some still are.”

And the brief levity vanished. “Except for one.” 

A small pause. “I suppose it’s a bad thing out there?” Her voice was both gentle and disapproving. She, like so many others who had greeted the girls, were grateful to the crew for bring Sana back to safety, but they’d been more than taken aback by who said crew was and with whom they’d been involved with. 

And not one of them would live with the girls in close quarters if they had the choice. Not one of them would learn to look past that any time soon. 

Sana wondered if the crew would be there long enough for that. 

“One reveal ruins the life she’s built in Kepler. All six,” she trailed off. 

“I understand,” Seunghee began to style Sana’s hair, “but desperation can be dangerous, Your Highness.”

Sana shook her head, at least she did as best she could. “I have seen them desperate. They are no threat.”

She pursed her lips, before the expression softened. “So you’ve come to trust them.”

“I had to trust them,” Sana said. “To get off the staton we met them on, and then out of the system. I needed to trust them.”

And now they’d need to trust that Sana would make sure they were safe now. It’d be through words and not weapons—through cameras and not ships. 

Seunghee, thankful, changed the subject. Lords and other businessmen, as well as women, who’d stepped forward to declare that they were devoting much of their time and resources to Sana’s rescue. 

“Ramon organised a quasi-fleet for you.” 

“I saw him at the border station. Many of them.” 

“Ah,” Seunghee chuckled, “the Keplan blockade. They’ll be facing lawsuits for that.”

“I may pardon them,” Sana said. “I was a Keplan ship, after all.”

Technically from the Coruscant system, but she’d have to ignore that part. 

“They won’t be pleased about that.”

“Nothing will please them,” Sana replied. “Only my being on one of their ships would’ve done that. And still there would’ve been dissatisfaction.” 

“So was it better that outsiders brought you back?”

“Mostly worse,” Sana admitted. She didn’t think of the many positives, not even a particular mechanic. “But I won’t have to bow to their demands for rewards, increases in influence, and,” she shuddered, “even more courting.”

Seunghee pinched her cheek. “They’ll still be doing much of that. All must see that you’re truly well.” She winked. “Over a coffee, lunch, or dinner, but they must know you’re alright.”

She raised a brow at her. “While they charm me rather than listen to what I have to say about Keplan culture?”

“Precisely.”

“I’m keeping them out for the rest of the week,” Sana sighed, “to recover from a long and arduous journey, adjusting to a proper planet as well.”

“Good.” Seunghee had almost completely finished with her hair. “And Sana?”

She looked up. The woman had tears in her eyes. 

“Even with the too dry hair and highly outdated clothes,” the first tear fell, “I cannot tell you how happy I am that you’re safe.”

Sana stood and pulled her into a tight hug. “Thank you for making my return feel normal,” she said quietly. “And making my hair nice again.”

The response was a mixture of laughs and sniffles. 

Tears pricked at Sana’s own eyes. Seunghee might not have been there for Sana’s entire life, but she had been there when Sana’s ‘unruly phase’ had started to unravel. She’d listened to Sana’s worries and frustrations, as well as dreams and plans. She knew of Sana’s many failed courtships and attempted relationships. She was perhaps one of the best secret keepers in the galaxy. And she was perfectly honest. 

“Enough!” Seunghee pulled away, face streaked with tears. “Your eyes will be swollen on camera and the editing software will condemn you to bug eyes after.” She huffed as she wiped her face. “Now on to your face. Wipe the tears and we’ll fix it.”

_____

Dahyun was pacing in the room when Sana came in. For a moment, she was stunned. Sana’s hair had been made wavy, her eyes neatly framed, and all blemishes (even if there’d been little before) were gone. She wore a dark blue dress without sleeves. 

“We’re not going on that stage,” Nayeon said. 

Sana nodded. “I was going to be alone. It’s not just Aphrodite who’s upset with my return, or you being the ones responsible.” 

Right. The Earthers had wanted that rescue to be made by one of their own. And someone who wasn’t a criminal or runaway from another system. Dahyun was both. A part of her wished she hadn’t been the rescuer either. 

“You’ve read what I plan to say?” Sana glanced at the tablet in her hands. The screen was dark. It was sleeker than anything Kepler had to offer. Whatever planning that’d gone into its shape would be impressive. 

Looking at it, Dahyun found her voice. “Yeah. All fine, but we agreed on one more thing.” Just the thought made her stomach twist. She was stuck between the calm that came with chaos, and absolute terror. “You’re telling the universe who the rest of us are. Or at least your broadcast will.”

Sana gaped at her. In spite of the luxury surrounding her, Dahyun saw the girl she’d known on the Breakthrough. 

“We put down what details you need,” Nayeon said. “Mina was working on the statement and apparently your broadcasters got our bios.”

“It’s sent,” said the spymaster. She’d either been sympathetic or she’d worn a cold business type of look. It was the most they’d seen her emote. It either took her being fully competitive, or absolute disaster, to get to that point. 

Sana nodded and the screen of her tablet came alive. The surprise on her face vanished, replaced with focus. She mouthed what she read and tapped on the screen a few times. “Are you sure?” She met their eyes. It was both the princess look and the friendlier, space-traveler one. 

“It takes away some of their power,” Nayeon replied. “They won’t expect it, since it’s the last thing we wanted.”

Meaning it’d by them a little time. Or Aphrodite’d just jump straight to killing them. 

And it’d be good for the MZ empire’s image. Better they actually reveal the information about their crew than it come out anonymously. Already, there’d been debates about whether or not the princess had known what she’d been dragged into. Already, people thought they’d blackmailed her. As if they’d have any information to use against Earth. 

For a moment, Dahyun wondered if Mina was offended by that—the idea that she could be fooled or taken advantage of by space rats. 

“Alright.” Sana made another change, dragging something across the screen. “This’s what I’ll say.” She held it out to Dahyun. All the poise in her expression eased away. It was just Sana. 

Dahyun felt a lump in then. She looked away and took the tablet. She skimmed through what she knew and looked over what else there was. Sana had changed it only a little, but the changes just about transformed the effect of the text. The story was framed a little more emotionally and the descriptions seemed to both understate what they’d done and explain it in a little more detail. 

Basically: there are criminals, but they’re the good kind. Dahyun would’ve been charmed if everything else around them hadn’t gone to . 

She nodded. “All good, I guess.” She passed it to Nayeon. 

Sana held her gaze. There was a question there, one Dahyun really didn’t want her to ask. It didn’t matter if it was a ‘how are you’ or a ‘can you think of any changes?’ If Dahyun had to say anything else, she wouldn’t trust herself to form a stable thought. 

Again, Dahyun looked away. She knew Sana would be confused by that. Maybe she’d even be a little hurt. She’d forget about it soon enough. 

Nayeon shrugged. “Can’t make it any worse, so we’re good.”

The guards who were there frowned. Jiu looked a bit offended, her lips pursed as if she was going to protest. 

Sana just nodded. “This’ll be an hour at most, I think.” An empty chuckle. “You were supposed to get a tour and then food, but you can skip most of it and we’ll have the food brought to your rooms.”

“Now?” Nayeon asked. “Might be too soon, or”?

“We can have it broadcasted to this room,” Sana said. 

“With the food?” Chaeyoung asked. She’d recovered better than Dahyun had, but she still looked shaken. 

“We’ll have it arranged,” she nodded at one of the guards, Dami, “better if they go through the rooms or make a proper stop by the kitchens?”

“Through,” Dami replied. 

So that no more people than necessary caught sight of them? If there was a worm in the empire, Dahyun actually preferred that. 

Sana nodded again. The professionalism wasn’t surprising, just unusual. “Tomorrow you’ll be called in for further information on what we’re dealing with.” 

“Not coming to join us after?” Nayeon asked. 

“Mina will be having lots to do tonight.” Sana aimed a pointed look at Mina. It was filled with sympathy. “I’ll be joining her.”

“Then shouldn’t we be there too?” Nayeon narrowed her eyes. 

“You can,” Mina replied. “But with the timezones and being surrounded by actual gravity and an atmosphere, trying to get proper sleep may be ideal.”

To Dahyun’s surprise, Nayeon nodded. Was she really—

“Then just me,” her co-captain said. “I’ll catch up on the rest.”

“Might not be the best idea,” Tzuyu said. “She was right—”

“I know Coruscant better than just about anyone here,” Nayeon sent her a reassuring smile, “and the rest of you know everything else more than me.” She spread out her gloved hands. “I’d say that balances things out.”

“You don’t trust them?” Jiu crossed her arms. The look in her eyes said, watch your mouth

“I trust the people who were on the Breakthrough, plus the Emperor and Empress. No one else,” Nayeon smiled at the guard, “I’d say no offence, but you don’t trust me either.”

She smiled back. “Good to know we’re on the same page.”

_____

The broadcast was nothing special. The only reason Nayeon bothered to watch the whole thing was to make sure that the princess kept to the script. Sana had tweaked some things on the go, but there was nothing to suggest that the Breakthrough had been a prison to her, or that there was a free reign to arrest or assassinate them. 

Of course, an announcement had come from another member of the imperial family—the Emperor to be precise. In celebration of their daughter coming home unscathed, there’d be a grand celebration for all involved in her rescue. That included everyone who’d left Earth to purse her, as well as the Keplans—at least a few members of government. 

And that was going to be their way out. They’d have to be there, all dressed up and briefed on what they could and couldn’t say. But when it was all over, they’d have an opening. 

Nayeon looked over the list Dahyun had given her. It was neatly organised, but she knew how terrified Dahyun really was. Making a supply list was all she could really do. 

“What’ll it take to get this?” She sent it to Mina’s terminal. 

The spymaster was silent, but she was reading it over, eyes flying over the words. Nayeon almost couldn’t believe she was actually reading it. Then again, with all the information this woman was tasked with handling, it made sense. 

“Time,” Mina said. “Some of this isn’t even available in the system.”

“And if you factor in your black markets?” Nayeon still didn’t get how Mina could live the life she did and not immediately consider the illegal side of things. 

“YouR’e in the Earth system,” Mina glared at her, “and you have been pardoned from forgery and smuggling by the imperial family.” She lowered her voice. “You will not be found going off in search of black markets and smuggler trails.”

Nayeon fought the urge to roll her eyes. “We wouldn’t be found. You’ve got to have crafts that aren’t linked to the imperial navy.” She folded her arms. “We’ll just use one of them.” 

“Your faces are known all across the three systems,” she said slowly. “You asked. For that before any plan was made for your suppliers.”

“Mina.” She held up a hand. The spy looked between it and Nayeon’s face. Had it been her healthy arm, Nayeon would’ve been afraid that Mina would rip that one off to. “You’re forgetting that I’ve done this type of thing a lot. I’ve been to Earth for a lotta missions and smuggling runs.” She grinned at her, loving how Mina’s annoyance grew once she did. “I know it’s possible. Besides, are you really gonna tell me you don’t have spies and agents in training who can do this type of thing?”

She cocked a brow. So it was definitely possible to have backup. “You’re telling me I should send them on fetch quests?”

Nayeon almost didn’t catch the gaming term. It reminded her of the person she’d caught glimpses of on the Breakthrough, a hopelessly competitive one who was capable of smiling. 

“Yep.”

Mina gave a long sigh. “Aphrodite will be tracking how many ships leave Earth. They’ll look after their trajectories and if there’s the smallest of patterns, they’ll know what you’re trying.”

“Then announce a new line of weapons or ships. Sana—her royal highness, was working on a lotta new products. Boost that up and you’ll be doing a -load of supply runs.” The only reason she swore was to watch Mina’s brow twitch. 

“And the preparation for the celebration,” Mina nodded, “can we import Keplan specialities?”

Nayeon couldn’t help but laugh. She knew the Earthers in the room would discount her as some wild Keplan, but that wasn’t all that bad. “If you count our great booze, and crappy shows, I guess we do.”

She gave her a sharp look. Be serious, that said. Nayeon decided to ignore it. 

“Put in the orders,” she continued. “We’ve got a crew who’d get those in plus a little something else if it fits the ship.” Yuri and Joy had never been in the Earth system. They’d get a kick out of how uptight they were here. 

“As long as I let them through minimal customs and ignore their past.” Mina tapped a finger on the side of her tablet.  

Nayeon winked. “And now you’re thinking right.”

Mina didn’t react. She just looked back at the list. “And you really think you can built a ship without test runs, with rushed plans, and live?”

“You spent weeks on the Breakthrough,” Nayeon smiled, “and was that baby any less trusty than your fancy ships over here?” She continued before Mina could reply. “The bulk of that was made when we were all thinking we were gonna have an atomic bomb tossed our way.”

“If I remember correctly, you had the base of that ship already.”

“Yeah,” Nayeon shrugged, “we’re all gonna need one of your unlisted ships, because I know you got those. For science and .”

Somebody in the room snorted. Nayeon counted that as a victory. 

Mina was frowning at her, but she wasn’t saying no. 

Another little victory. Nayeon hoped it was the start of many. 

_____

“I’ve already been put in a dress, you don’t have to make me feel more uncomfy.” Dahyun turned away, but it just exposed her . The golden dress they’d put her in complimented her skin perfectly. 

Sana’s face warmed. “Who picked it out for you?” 

“Your dear cousin.” She crossed her arms. “I’m cold.” A pout appeared. “That venue better have the best heating ever, or else I’ll hike it up myself.” 

She laughed. Then slipped off the shawl she was wearing. It’d match Dahyun’s dress, but the contrast might draw even more attention than she’d already get. “It’s warm enough.” She walked over and draped it over her shoulders. She tugged it down at the back, her knuckle brushing the skin there. Dahyun jumped. “Sorry.” 

“It’s okay.” She looked at the mirror then back at her. “Please tell me you have other cloths like this. A collection?” 

“Yes, Dahyunnie. I do.”

“What are they actually called?” She pinched the edge of it. “I’m pretty sure not bandanas?” 

“Scarves.” 

She smiled and turned back to her. “Thank you.” Her eyes glittered with the makeup. “Also for not letting them make me wear those ty shoes.”

“They’re painful when you start. Momo hated them.” 

“But they do make you so tall.” She whined, craning her neck to look at the ceiling. “Pretty unfair. Chaeng would love them.” 

“Bet she would,” Sana extended her arm, “help me get there on the ty shoes?” 

Dahyun laughed. It just made her smile more. “You sure that’s a good image to have? Junkrat and princess?” 

She frowned then. “More like me and one of the people who helped me get here.” 

“Not saved you?” She raised a brow. 

“Saved me,” Sana elbowed her gently, “but yeah, that’s a good image.” 

_____

The party was one of the most terrible environments Dahyun could ever have imagined. 

“I’m so exposed. We’re so exposed,” she whispered. 

“If you think like that you’ll never be comfortable,” Nayeon replied. “People look at us just the same with the masks on. Here they just know what you look like.”

“Even worse,” Tzuyu said. 

With the dresses, her crew looked positively beautiful. 

“Well it’s the same for everyone else,” their captain replied. “And at least now we can read their faces.” Her eyes lingered somewhere before widening. “I didn’t know sneaks were allowed to party.” 

Dahyun followed her gaze. Mina was in a dark blue dress, her hair curled and eyes gently outlined. She knew that girl belonged in a place like this. All three of them did. She looked then to the place where Sana still greeted the newcomers. She wore a bright smile that actually reached her eyes. Either she was enjoying this, or her public mask really was that good. 

“You’re staring, Nabongs,” Jeongyeon snickered. 

“What, I can do that,” she flipped her hair, “she’s gorgeous.” 

“You gonna tell that to her face?” Dahyun asked. 

A small smile. “If she wouldn’t rip my head off in public, yeah.” Something in her eyes softened, saddened. 

“Are you the ones who rescued Princess Sana?” 

They all turned to the speaker. It was a young man and his mother. Or very old wife. 

“No,” Nayeon said. 

He blinked. “But you arrived with her.” 

“You said we rescued her,” Dahyun replied. “All we did was bring her home.” 

“Ah,” the woman smiled, “they’ve instilled our customs in you well.”

“We’ve been here just a week,” Chaeyoung said. “Woulda needed longer than that to learn your tricks of the trade.” 

The easy smile flickered. Not great at hiding under courteousness. 

“And why are the technicalities important?” Nayeon asked, crossing her arms. was set in a line, making her scars more pronounced. While the dress had softened many of her edges, she still carried a veiled threat in her eyes. Nothing you’d catch on to if you didn’t know her, but something that would still make you feel uneasy. 

Exactly that happened to both partygoers. 

“Lady Frest,” someone cut in, a bright smile on her face, “a General Yuop wanted to make his acquaintance with you and your wonderful son.”

The discomfort faded. “Good night to you.” The woman smiled sweetly at them. Any one of them would’ve normally sneered at that, but they couldn’t do that here. Customs indeed. 

Mina then turned back, her expression hardening a touch. “That woman would do anything to get a whiff of information out of you. And the state of Sana.”

Dahyun frowned. “Why does that matter?” 

She gave her a look. “Proposals are in full force.”

Proposals? To Sana? Now? 

“She just got back from a journey they know nothing about,” Jihyo said. “Why the hell does that matter?” 

“Keep it down,” Mina said. “I should’ve told you this before, but not one guest here needs to know any detail of the way back. All information can and will be used against you or us.”

Dahyun wanted to know why them even knowing that they’d gone shopping together would be an issue, but Nayeon spoke then. 

“Gotcha,” she said. Then she smiled. “You look beautiful, by the way.” 

The spymaster’s poised expression faltered in an instant. “Thank you.” She looked away. “Enjoy the party.” Then she was off, no doubt steering people away or listening to conversations. 

“Smooth,” Chaeyoung elbowed her, “you scared her off.”

Nayeon’s smile just grew. “My head’s still on my shoulders. I count that as a win.” 

_____

Sana couldn’t find her anywhere. She’d looked in the rest rooms, well not in them, because no one would ever let her go there, but she’d glanced over repeatedly. No sign of Dahyun. 

She saw the rest of the crew still at the very edge of the hall. They all looked uneasy. Some were glancing in the direction of one of the many balconies. 

Sana went to said balcony, Momo trailing behind. 

“Didn’t Frest Jr want to talk to you?” 

Fresh air greeted them, she in a breath. 

“So do Jerr, Hammond, and Paulson,” Sana muttered. “I want to talk to someone else. Help me out here.” 

Momo gave her a look. “You do know this isn’t going to—” 

“Stop,” she said. “Let me be alone here for a few minutes.” Well, not alone. 

Another look, but a nod nonetheless. Sana wanted to give her a tight hug. Instead she walked down the length of the balcony. It was just about deserted. One person stood looking over the city, her back slumped. 

“Too much?” 

They jumped. Then relaxed. “Yep. How’d you grow up in that?” 

“It’s what I’m used to,” Sana replied. 

“I guess that makes sense.” Dahyun sighed. “And I get why you don’t allow them, but I could really use my mask. My ship.” 

Sana wanted to reach out to her, but she knew they were being watched. If not from the balcony, then from above. She wanted nothing more than to take Dahyun into her arms, tell her it was all going to be okay, tell her that she looked breathtaking, and kiss her. 

She could do one of those things. “It’ll be okay. You’ll get used to it pretty soon.” 

Dahyun grimaced then. “, sorry.” A sigh. “Sorry for swearing too.”

Sana giggled. “It’s okay.”

“Well, I wanted to apologise for being insensitive. If anyone’s exposed on this planet, it’s you.” Another frown. “No offence?” She chuckled. “I at this.”

“Maybe a bit,” she nudged her with her elbow, “but I know what you mean. My face was broadcasted across three systems after all.” 

_____

“This is serious? They’re serious?” Dahyun’s eyes were as wide as saucers. “You marry me? Earth royalty to,” her words paused, “whatever I am?” She stood and walked from wall to wall, the bewildered expression never leaving her face.

Sana resisted the urge to laugh. It was such a comical sight, but she knew the mechanic wouldn’t appreciate it. 

“Don’t you have other wonderful suitors? Ones who are actually rich? Business savvy?” She swirled on one heel to look at her. “You do remember why we needed that reward, right? I’m not business savvy.”

“But you are rich.” 

She let out a long huff. “Not rich, but well off.” A huge pout appeared and she sat back down, but not on the chair. Instead she was on the floor, pouting. 

Sana couldn’t help but giggle. 

“And now you’re laughing at me,” she muttered. “Lovely turn of events.” 

“You can say no.” A weird thought came to her, but Sana didn’t ignore it. A part of her hoped she’d say yes. It wasn’t like the rest where she’d be concerned for the initial years of discomfort and awkwardness. Maybe it’d be awkward with Dahyun, but she wouldn’t be uncomfortable. That phase had passed. 

The girl looked at her and sat down beside her again. “I hope this isn’t sounding as if I dislike you. You’re lovely,” a small smile, “but a princess doesn’t marry someone like me, and someone like me doesn’t marry anyone like you. And that’s not even counting the time part!” 

“Hey,” Sana reached out to pat her hand, “calm down.”

She let out a small laugh. “I’m freaking out, am I not?” 

“A little.” 

“Sana–er, Lady Sana,” a sigh, “I’m sorry.” 

“For?” 

“I’m marrying up if this proceeds. You’re marrying,” she trailed off, “far far below your station.” Her brow rose. “And a crook at that! Did you tell your parents about the counterfeit weapons?” 

“They know,” she said. “That’s part of the reason why.”

“Because I can recreate your tech? Have you seen the number of forgeries? A galaxy is very large.” 

Sana laughed. “We have, but yours impressed even the lead designer.” 

Dahyun gave her a look. “You’re the lead designer.” 

She couldn’t help but wink then. “Exactly.” 

______

So if you can't tell, I was going for a happier ending. I hadn't exactly figured out how, but I was planning for Saida to officially get together. Dahyun's, ironically, 'down to earth' way of leading paired with the style Sana was raised with, as well as the beliefs she acquired during her life, would've made them, more or less, a power couple. 

Minayeon were so promising to me here. I loved the dynamic of two spies. It might be something I explore in the future, but I'm not sure if it'll be in this context. I'm also not in the position to be making too many predictions about my writing, so I won't be doing that. 

I'll gladly explain this more if you want, but the plot behind Sana's kidnapping was that Aphrodite and Ramon (from Mars) had essentially made a deal. This all sounds a lot more unspectacular than it might've been in the story, but this is all I can do at the moment. Ramon wanted to become emperor and Aphrodite wanted to branch out into the Earth system. 

As with the other story, if you have any questions about how the story would've continued, then just ask them and I'll answer all of them to the best of my abilities! 

If I'm gonna be fully honest, I never expected this story to get more than 100 subscribers, which is still a lot, but I was almost 100% sure it wasn't going to compare at all to my first two stories. It was science fiction, it was very different to what I'd written before, and it was based on video games and movies I'd been semi-obsessed with at the time. And then people actually started to enjoy it! It was honestly a bit of a miracle for me and made me so happy. I was writing this story around Christmas and New Years too, so that time is associated pretty well with this story. And while I was looking through the extra scenes, I couldn't help but smile at the different dynamics and details there'd been. 

So thank you so much for supporting this story! Some of you had written that this wasn't exactly in your comfort zone of reading, which made me even happier! Science fiction is a genre I very much love and really want to write more in. I haven't gotten the story for it yet, but when I do, I'll devote some more time to it, get it outlined to the end, and give it to you then. I think my problem was that I'd tried a lot at the same time. I'd been juggling four stories at one point and when one of them was done, my drive for the rest of the stories basically crashed and burned. I'm sorry if I've disappointed you with this update/ending and I hope that the scenes included, or the answers I'll have for your questions, will make it a little less unsatisfying of an end. 

Thank you again for reading this until here. It meant a lot to me. 

Twitter: @hblake44

If you have any other questions regarding the au.