Chapter 1

I Could Be Yours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sehun lazed on his cot, idly reading, his long black tail slowly tapping the bed as he lounged.  It was an indolent Monday afternoon at the shelter though, to be entirely honest, most of his afternoons, and mornings…and evenings were unindustrious, as--though it was a perfectly adequate shelter--there wasn’t exactly enough money for very many enrichment programs.  Aside from library discards, and classes given by the occasional volunteer, there was never really anything particularly interesting to do.  His friend and roommate, Kwangsoo idled on the other cot, distractedly flipping through channels, his own silver tail flickering in agitation, though his face was the perfect picture of ennui. 

Though the days were interminable, Monday afternoons were especially so, as hardly anyone ever came to adopt after the flurry that happened every weekend.  Here Sehun was, on yet another Monday, after yet another weekend that saw him still there, still unchosen.  Nevertheless…the shelter, despite the boredom, and the lack of privacy, wasn’t the worst thing.  No, the opportunity to live in peace and quiet, with three square (albeit relatively bland) meals a day was far better than…his mind shut an iron door on that thought.  Sliding to the side, his thoughts went down a tangential avenue.  Even though he was safe, and warm, and fed--even so--he felt…trapped.  There were some days that he wanted to claw the flesh from his very bones if he had to look at the beige walls of the shelter for one minute longer, eat another meal of juk and grey meat, take another round of supplements and vitamins from overworked, burnt-out, whey-faced doctors.  Yes, he was taken care of…but he wasn’t…

He wasn’t free. 

Sehun knew that he had it better than a lot of hybrids who slept rough…among other things.  Despite that, in his heart of hearts, when he lay on his cot at night, staring out the window at the black velvet sky, listening to the soft snores of whatever roommate he happened to have at the moment…he wondered why.  Why had he never been chosen?  He was attractive enough, he knew--from almost a decade of being told so.  So why…

Suddenly, one of Kwangsoo’s ears flickered toward the door—though his expression didn’t change—and he turned down the incessant chatter of the television. 

Orienting toward his roommate—desperate for a compelling distraction--Sehun put a finger in his book to keep his place as he leaned forward in interest.  “What is it?”

“Shhh,” Kwangsoo hissed.  “Someone just walked in.  She’s talking to one of the employees.  She sounds pretty.” He turned to Sehun, a gleam in his eye.  “She wants to adopt.”  Soundlessly slipping from his cot to the floor, Kwangsoo peeked around the door.  Instantly, his shoulders slumped and, standing abruptly, he sauntered back to his cot before flopping down on it once more, and picking up his remote.

“What?  What is it?” Sehun repeated, lifting up on one elbow, dropping his book as all of his attention concentrated on his roommate.

Kwangsoo scoffed.  “Not worth getting your hopes up—just keep reading.”

“Ah, Hyung!” Sehun whined.  “Tell me!”   

“You don’t want to be adopted by her, trust me.”  Kwangsoo snorted.  “Just another desperate 30 year old spinster, head full of nonsense from overheated hybrid romance novels, looking for a captive love interest.  Why these old women think that we’ll want them when their own men aren’t even interested is beyond me.”  Noticing that Sehun hadn’t responded, Kwangsoo froze.  His tail twitched.  “She’s…right behind me, isn’t she?”

“Yep,” you said easily.

“Well,” he said stiffly.  “This is awkward.”  A sudden leap and he was scampering out of the room, leaving Sehun behind to deal with the tense atmosphere.

Not knowing what to do, Sehun raised a hand laconically.  “Hi.”

“Hi, back,” you said, giving him a cool raised eyebrow and a small bow.  When he remained silent, you bowed once more.  “Well, then,” you said, with a turn back to the employee. 

“Wait!” Sehun called.

You paused, turned your head slightly.

His mouth worked.  He wasn’t sure why he called out—though he wouldn’t have put it as baldly as Kwangsoo--he was a man, and he would much rather be adopted by someone young and pretty.  While you weren’t unattractive, per se, you were entirely too thin—your cheekbones jutting sharply over a square little jaw, your eyes slightly sunken into large dark hollows, the bones of your throat and chest prominent.  If that wasn’t enough, you were practically swallowed in a large, grey wool coat that swept to your ankles, and looked as if it were about 65 years out of fashion.  Despite not immediately explaining his request for you to stay, you waited patiently while he said nothing, until finally, you turned back to him, your stern expression softening.

“Look,” you started gently, and he had to admit that your voice was sweet and melodic, despite the way it was packaged.  “Don’t feel embarrassed.  I know that you didn’t say anything.  And even if you did,” you shrugged, “so what?  You’re entitled to your thoughts and feelings.  Makes no difference to me.  So, relax.  Finish reading your book.  Have a nice day.”  Once more, you started to turn.

“You’re looking for a hybrid,” Sehun blurted, arresting you in your tracks. 

You nodded once, pensively.  “I am.”

“What sort of hybrid?”

“Preferably a predator.”

“Why?”

“I live alone in a…less than savoury part of town.  I would like the protection that a predator hybrid could provide.”

Sehun sat up, folding his long limbs and indicating the newly freed space on his bed.  “I’m a predator hybrid.”

You raised an eyebrow. “Oh?” 

When you made no move to sit, he flushed.  “I would…like…to talk to you…”

Silence reigned as you carefully regarded him.  Then, with a careless shrug, and a nod to the employee who made herself scarce, you moved to sit on the bed.  Introductions were made, and then it was quiet once more.  After several awkward moments of quiet breathing, you spoke.  “So.  What did you want to discuss?”

“Tell me more about what you want.”

Shrugging out of your coat, you silently gave him a look, asking for his permission, and laying it at the foot of his bed when he indicated acquiescence.  “To be entirely honest, I was thinking of a German Shepherd hybrid, or maybe a Rottweiler, or Doberman.  Maybe a Pitbull.”

“Mr. Worldwide,” he said weakly, fluttering his fingers in jazz hands, but slowly lowering them in embarrassment when you blankly stared.  “You know, like the singer?  Pitbull?  Although I don’t know if he’s so much a singer as an entertainer.  A rapper, I guess, I don’t know--”

“Ah,” you said laconically, interrupting him and putting him out of his babbling misery.  “I don’t really have much time to keep up with music.  I’m a grad student.”

“Ah…yes…” Sehun said softly.  “Well…I’m not…one of those hybrids that you mentioned…but I’m still a predator.”

You looked up at his softly rounded black ears, then down to the long, sleek, short-haired black tail that softly thumped, every so often, over his thighs.  “Black ja…guar?” you asked, your voice going unsurely up at the end.

Flushing, Sehun grinned, his eyes crinkling into half-moons.  “Everybody always says panther!”

“Well, I like to be precise.”

“Yes, well…” he inhaled deeply, steeling himself.  “What else do you want?”

“You’re full of questions, aren’t you?”

“I’m very curious.”

“An admirable trait, but I’m afraid that I don’t have much time to chat.  I really wanted to do this and return home before it’s dark, so I really should continue on to the dog hybrids.”  Standing, you gathered your coat and gave him a small bow.  “It was a pleasure meeting you, Sehun.”  You were turning when his large hand shot out, wrapped around your forearm.  You both stared at it in surprise.  Your eyes rose to his, and you were startled to see the grimness of his expression.

“I could be yours.”

You blinked at each other for some moments before you raised your hand to his, gently disentangled it from your arm.  Sehun felt a flash of disappointment before you set your coat back down, turned to him.  “Alright, then.  Let’s talk.  What are you looking for?”

Sehun’s eyebrows shot up in surprise.  No one had ever asked him that question before.  “I don’t—I’m not—I’ve never…” he paused, his lips in consternation.  “No one has ever asked me that before.  I haven’t…I…don’t…”

You sighed.  “Well, then.  Let me tell you what I have to offer.  Despite what your friend said, I’m not looking for love.  In fact, you would very much have your own bed, in your own room, with a lock.  I don’t need a lover, I need someone who will protect me, and my home whilst I’m away.  I want the security of coming home, and not having to investigate every nook and cranny before I feel safe. I want to know that no one will break in and steal the little that I have while I’m away.  I’m looking for the safety of another human being in my living space when I sleep.”

“Human being?” Sehun grimaced.

You carelessly waved a hand, “Hybrid, whatever, same thing.  I need all of that without the hassle of training an animal, which I am eminently unqualified to do, beyond the one fat little white housecat that I have at home.”  You sighed. “If only she were about a hundred pounds heavier, then I wouldn’t need to do this.” 

Despite himself, Sehun snorted. 

“I’m going to be completely honest with you,” you started.  “I can’t offer you much, because I don’t have much.  Life with me would not be a pampered existence.  I shop at thrift stores and yard sales, I grow vegetables, and I’m a regular down at the food bank.  In the winter, you can almost see your breath in my apartment, because heating bills are outrageous, and in the summer, I can only afford to cool one room in the house, so I pretty much camp in the living room.  I basically live on eggs, preserved vegetables from my rooftop garden, meal replacement shakes, and rice and beans, but I would be able to work more fish into my budget for you.

“So, no, I can offer you almost nothing in the way of creature comforts, but what I can offer you is peace, quiet, plenty of alone time to do your own thing, and freedom.  Despite what society thinks of women my age adopting hybrids, I’m neither needy, nor clingy, and all I really require from you is your existence.  If you can clean up after yourself, and promise to act as protection if the need arises, then…” you shrugged, “I neither require nor desire more.”  You leaned forward, baring your neck to him.  “Go ahead, test me.”

Surprised at your knowledge of hybrid behaviours, Sehun nonetheless put his hands on your shoulders, deliberately drew closer.  You didn’t move, didn’t even react.  Slowly, he ran his nose up the side of your neck to just under your ear, closed his eyes.  You smelled…trustworthy. Open.  Not even the faintest whiff of either deception, or desire.  Sehun’s mouth had fallen slightly open in a better bid to catch your scent, and when he backed away, you smiled up at him, gently tapped under his chin to close his mouth.  He flushed; tail flickering in agitation over forgetting himself and reverting back to instinct.  Backing up, he stared thoughtfully just past you as he considered your words.  Quietly, pensively, he began to speak, his eyes cutting back to you, his gaze sharp.  “You said…that you were a grad student.  What are you studying?”

“Hybrid psychology.”

His eyebrows once more flew toward the heavens.  “Really?  Why?”

You shrugged.  “I’ve just always had an affinity for it, I guess.  Who knows why we like the things that we do?”

“So…once you graduate…” 

“I hope to be hired by a hospital, but eventually, I’d like to start my own practice.”

“Yes, but…what…would happen…to me?”  He carefully watched your expression as you blinked in uncertainty. 

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I assume that once you start working, then you’ll make a lot of money, and you’ll want to move to a less dangerous neighbourhood.  What will you do with me, then?” 

Your eyes were level as you reached out to take his hand.  “Listen very carefully to me, Sehun.  If we decide to adopt one another…then you are my friend for life.  I’m never giving you up; I’m never leaving you behind.  Now, I’m not going to lie and say that it’s going to be easy, because it won’t.  I am poor, and if you let me adopt you, then you will be, too.  It’s going to be a struggle.  There are going to be a lot of things that you want that I won’t be able to give you, even after I’ve landed a job because, I don’t know if you know what student loans are, but, oof. 

“We’re going to have to work together, but, unless you choose to leave me, then I promise that I will take care of you until the day you die.  If you choose to let me adopt you, then the next thing that I’m going to do is write you into my will so that, if anything happens to me, you will be taken care of, understand?”

Saying nothing, he let his fingers play idly with yours as he weighed your words.  Suddenly, something occurred to him. “Have you ever had a hybrid before?”

“My family had one when I was growing up but, I haven’t seen her since I moved out for college.” 

His gaze was piercing as his nostrils gently flared, taking in the scent of your distress.  “Why not?”

Sighing, you tried to pull your hand from his, tsking in mild annoyance when he tightened his hold.  “It’s…a long story.  I’m sure that you have one of your own.”

Sudden shame washed over him, and he let go of your hand.  “I’m sorry.  That was rude of me.”

“That’s alright,” you answered easily.

“It’s just…I wanted to know…if you knew…what you would be getting into…  Not just because of what you may have studied…but…from experience…”

“Are you talking about ruts?” you asked bluntly.

Grimly, he nodded. 

“Let’s see, being a cat, yours would be twice a year…  I know that they’re not the overwhelming, all-encompassing things of…how did your friend put it?  Overheated hybrid romance novels?  I guess the question is…would you prefer suppressants, or a hybrid partner?”

Sehun stared at you in shock. 

“What?” you asked, eyeing his expression in confusion.  “Did I say something…wrong?”

He shook his head.  “No, it’s just…you’d give me the choice?”

You frowned.  “Of course.  It’s your rut.  Who else would make it?”  He silently blinked at you.  You patiently waited as he sorted his thoughts.  And as he drew closer.  And as he leaned his cheek into the side of your neck, and began to rub.  A deep rumbling purr roared to life in his chest and though he couldn’t see it, he could hear your smile.  “Well then,” you murmured softly, slowly bringing up your hand to gently scratch between his ears.  “I guess that’s that.”

 

Forty minutes to pack, and say his goodbyes, and a brief stop for your personal and financial information to be input into the microchip in his earring, so that he could be returned to you, if lost, and make purchases under your account, and then…he was free.  Walking down the street, assaulted by sounds and smells, and sights—even if everything was slightly muted by the grey January fog—Sehun felt more alive than he had since…since…since before puberty, when his body betrayed him, setting him on a path to—no.  He would not think of that right now.  He shivered, the winter chill seeping into his inadequate jean jacket, but he ignored it, too excited about his freedom to be bothered by the cold.  He looked sideways to find you eyeing him.

You held out your hands.  “Give me your bag.”

“What?  No.”

You snorted.  “I’m not going to steal it—I’ll carry it for you.”

He looked down at you.  “Absolutely not.”

Pausing at the intersection as cars rushed by, you gave him an appraising look.  “How old are you, Sehun?”

He winced, his shoulders hunching.  “25.”

“Mm,” you said, nodding, before reaching out your hands once more.  “Well?  Give noona the bag.” 

Despite the new appellation, you hadn’t dropped to banmal, so he felt safe enough to deny you again.  “I’m twice your size, noona,” he said, stressing the title as he hitched his luggage further up on his shoulder.

“It’s noona’s job to take care of you,” you said calmly, hands still outstretched.

Rolling his eyes, he looked around as if for strength.  “Say something that makes sense.  You adopted me to protect you.  I’m clearly bigger than you, so why would I let you carry my bag?”

“I did adopt you for protection, but I also don’t want to be the one receiving all of the benefits.”

The light turned to red, and Sehun stepped forward, long legs momentarily leaving you behind in the bustle of the crowd before you caught up to him.  “Consider this me protecting you from a strained muscle.”

Snorting, you dropped your hands.  “You’re a hardheaded thing, aren’t you?”

Inhaling deeply to let all of the new scents run riot on his perception, he smiled.  No, this wasn’t bland.  This was life, this was colour.  Turning down to where you walked beside him, he smiled again, the sense of freedom, of the ability to say no, a fire in his veins.  “Yes, well…you knew what I was when you picked me up.”

You weren’t kidding when you said that you lived in a less savoury part of town.  Sehun locked and loaded his resting face as soon as he saw the quality of the neighbourhood start to go down--from the increase in graffiti, to the seemingly aimless men dotted here and there on stoops, at corners, eyeing you hungrily as you walked by, the soft, yeasty smell of beer surrounding them like clouds.  More than once, he had to give a man who looked as if he were ready to risk it all, one of his patented, toothy smiles—the one that put all of his fangs on display.  Between those and his pupils, which he was sure had narrowed to slits in his displeasure, all of the men who were considering a word thought better of it, shuffling back to their friends for more beer, and more loitering, though some of them felt brave enough to mutter unpleasantries as you passed, which both of you chose to ignore.

Finally, you were home, trudging up the four stories to your rooftop apartment. 

“Here we are,” you said, opening the door, and ushering him inside.  “Home sweet hovel.” 

He stepped inside, noting the nominal temperature change from the outside.  It was just warm enough for him not to be able to see his breath, and he suppressed a small shiver, not wanting to seem high-maintenance.  Sehun looked around, taking in the pale hardwood floors, and sparse furniture, the open plan, with the kitchen, living room and dining room all on display, broken only by a number of tall, dark, well-laden bookshelves. 

After you both removed your shoes, you took him by the wrist, leading him past the low-lying table, and an odd, bicycle-looking contraption in the corner, along with a large, white rectangular thing, to the opposite end of the apartment, where there were two closed doors.  Leading him to the one on the left, you opened it, and then stood back, gesturing for him to go inside. 

Drifting past you, he wandered inside, looking around.  There wasn’t much to see, just a small bed piled high with quilts, and the aforementioned rotund white cat, sleeping—her nose tucked industriously under her tail.  The bed was flanked by two small nightstands—a lamp on the one to the right--an open door to the left that led to an empty closet, and a dark wooden dresser.  Setting his bag on said dresser, he walked to the bed and sat, groaning as he immediately sank into the softness. 

Indolently opening first one eye, and then the other, the cat unfurled herself and stretched, taking the few steps needed to be able to give Sehun a cursory sniff, before bunting him with her head. 

Reaching down to oblige her silent wishes, Sehun scratched all the places that he loved best.  “What’s her name?”

“Gongju.”

He snorted.  “It would be.  I can already tell that she’s spoiled.”

“My one pleasure in life is spoiling that girl,” you said, smiling at her softly, before looking up at Sehun.  “I hope that one day, I’ll be able to spoil you, too.”

Not knowing what to say to that, he stayed silent, though he could feel his face flush with heat.

Waving a hand, you indicated his room.  “I hope you don’t mind that I furnished it already.”

“No, it’s fine; I’m not particularly into decorating.”  Sehun looked down, a finger of one hand slowly tracing the pattern of the fabric, whilst the other hand was busy paying homage to the local queen.  “Nice quilt.”

You smiled.  “Thank you.  I made it.” 

He looked up in shock.  “You made this?”

You chuckled.  “Poor, remember?  I don’t throw away a thing—use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without…” 

Despite your words, he could smell the nervousness pouring off of you, and his eyes dropped to where you were mindlessly squeezing together your laced fingers. 

“I made the curtains, too.”

“They’re nice.  It’s all…nice,” he said softly.

“Yes, well…what I can’t offer you in heat, I can make up for in blankets.  Of course, you can rearrange the room to your preference.  Everything in here is yours.  Just let me know if there’s anything else you need, and I’ll see what I can do.  Oh!”  Pointing to the closed door to the left of the leftmost nightstand, you said, “That’s the bathroom.  We share it, so…please leave the toilet seat down.”

Sehun nodded numbly.

“You can use any of the products that you find in there…you don’t have any allergies, do you?”

“Not that I know.”

“Good…good…  Um…now I guess that we should go over house rules?”

He straightened, gaze sharpening as he oriented on you.  Here it was.  This was it.  His stomach twisted nervously as his mind raced with all of the weird rules and regulations that he had to obey in the past, and he pulled the little white cat onto his lap, as if for protection.

“Okay, so, quiet hours are from 10-7, please observe them, or else the neighbours will complain.  I don’t have any subscription services, but my friend Junmyeon is about to buy another TV, and he said that I could have his old one, which I’ll put in here.  I don’t really watch much television, but I do have an account at the local library, which includes an online movie site, as well as rentable DVDs, so between those and TV, you should be fine.  Since you can read, you’re free to any of the books you see.  My tastes are rather esoteric, but if you tell me what you like, then I can look around the library surplus giveaways to find books more to your taste.  When you have enough, we can build you a bookshelf—“

“You built those bookshelves in the living room.”

“That I did.”

“How?”

You shrugged.  “Youtube.  And friends who let me borrow their tools.  Now, where was I…?  Ah, yes, rules.  Feel free to cook and eat whatever you want—“

“I…don’t know…how…”

You looked at him to find his mouth drooping into a pout as he looked shamefacedly down at your feet.  “That’s fine.  I really enjoy cooking anyway, so I don’t mind cooking for you.  Do you know how to wash dishes?”

Sehun’s face heated.

You tilted your head.  “Do you know…how to wash anything?”

Shrinking in on himself, Sehun’s voice was almost a whisper as he said, “I wasn’t…really…that wasn’t what I was for…I…they…” He cleared his throat.  “That wasn’t what I was for,” he finished miserably.  You set your jaw, and he could smell anger coming off of you in waves.  Shooting his head up so that he could meet your gaze, he began to babble.  “But, I’m sure I can learn; it’s not hard, right?  I want to learn—I don’t mind.  I’m a fast learner—you can teach me, or show me a video, and—oh, please don’t be mad—don’t take me back—I’m sorry, I—“

“Sehun!” you said firmly, arresting his word vomit.  “I’m not angry at you.”  Huffing, you blew your bangs off of your forehead in frustration.  “I’m not going to ask you about your previous owners.  You’re always free to tell me, but that’s personal, so I won’t pry, but…I think…that I can guess…some of what you underwent…that’s why I was angry.  Not at you, kitten.”

He cringed at the nickname.  “Please…don’t call me that.”

Your face was sad as you nodded.  “Alright.  I won’t.  Um…but…okay, so…sure, yes, I can teach you how to wash things.  I’ll do the cooking, and it would really help me if you could do the cleaning.  We’ll keep laundry separate, but I’ll teach you how to wash yours.  So…I guess…other than clean up after yourself…here endeth the rules.”

Sehun stared at you blankly.  “That’s it?”

“That’s it.”

He narrowed his eyes in suspicion.  “Are you sure?”

With a laugh, you leaned against the doorjamb. “Should there be more?”

His mind flashed to all of the rules from his past homes—don’t walk into a room before your owner, don’t look your owner in the eye, don’t eat before your owner, always be ready and willing when they want to—no.  He would not think of that right now.  Maybe later, when he felt strong enough.  But not yet.  “I don’t know.”

“Oh, yes, actually, that does remind me—“

His stomach dropped.  He knew it.

“I won’t come into your room without permission, and I would appreciate it if you would return the favour.”

“Is that it?”

“That is now it.  From me, anyway.  What are your rules?”

Sehun gaped.  “My rules?”

“Of course.  You have to have some preferences.  What would you like for me to do, or not do?”

He cast his mind, slightly agog at the freedom he was being given.  Realizing that the silence had gone on for too long, though you remained patiently waiting at the door, he blurted the first thing that came to mind.  “Please don’t touch me.”  Your eyebrows raised slightly, and he winced.

“Fair enough,” you said easily, “Alright.  I promise to never touch you except in case of necessity.”

Sehun’s heart was beating so fast he thought that he was going to be sick.   He felt simultaneously exhilarated and apprehensive.  Would you really follow this rule?  But then, the way you had worded your agreement sounded so final.  Was he sure that he absolutely never wanted to be touched?  The softness of your ear scratches at the shelter had been nice, so—“Except for pets…sometimes…when I ask for them…”

Your face crinkled in a bright smile.  “Alright, Sehunie.  Except for pets…when you request them.”

“Sehunie?” he asked.

“Ah, sorry.  Do you not like that, either?”

“No,” he answered quickly.  “I…like that…it’s just that…no one has called me that…since I was little.”  You smiled, blinking very slowly at him, and his heart stuttered.  He was still scared that this might all turn out to be a lie, but he couldn’t help the feeling of safety and protection that he felt around you.  You must be very good at your studies.  Standing abruptly, he thoughtlessly reached out for you, only to be surprised when you took a step back, a guarded look suddenly flashing across your face.  He stopped.  Let his hands drop back to his s ides.  “I’m…sorry.  It’s just that I…I wanted…I would feel better, if…”

Though you said nothing, understanding lit your eyes, and you nodded.

Stepping forward again, though more slowly this time, he rested his hands on your shoulders, leaned down until his cheek hovered around your neck.  Eyes sliding shut, he began to purr, gently rubbing his cheek over your jawline and neck, first one side, then the other, until he felt satisfied that you smelled like him.  When finished he straightened, took a step back, now feeling more relaxed.  “Thank you.”

“No problem,” you said easily. “Now, I think that the most important item of business is to plan buying a proper coat for you.  Most of the—“

A loud gurgle echoed throughout the relatively empty room.

Your smile was delighted.  “Okay, so, second most important item.  Why don’t you unpack while I make you something to eat?”

“Thank you, noona,” he said softly, stepping back into his room. 

You waved a hand.  “No need to thank me.  Just doing my job.”

“You’re a good owner,” he said obediently.

Your nose wrinkled.  “Ah…about that…new rule--how about we cool it with the word, ‘owner’?  It makes me uncomfortable.  Let’s just say that we’re roommates.  Or that I’m your noona, and you are my precious dongsaeng, hm?”   You tilted your head.  “How about that?  Isn’t that nicer?”

Sehun’s forehead wrinkled in confusion.  “But…you are my owner—“

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter