Couer brisé

Serendipity

Chanyeol took another sip of the drink and grimaced...no it still tasted tooth rottingly sweet and just bad. Yet every time he was in the departmental store for grocery shopping he ended up buying this particular strawberry milkshake anyway because this reminded Chanyeol of him. Just like so many other things.

From stolen kisses behind the 3rd aisle when they thought no one was looking or fighting over which beer tasted better or when Chanyeol was taught the difference between chonchiglie and farfalle because he was a pasta amateur and these were really important details. Atleast to Kyungsoo who was a chef. But Chanyeol was too mesmerised staring at the those heart shaped lips and doe eyes to even understand different pasta shapes.

It was weird how Chanyeol’s brain was hardwired to connect these littlest of things back to those moments that reminded him of Kyungsoo.

He would do anything to bring the smallest of the memories back even if that meant sipping on the horrible milkshake that Kyungsoo drank because when he kissed Chanyeol the taste of the strawberry still lingering in his mouth - Chanyeol would trade anything to taste that, to evoke those transitory moments, the feelings that were far too precious to be forgotten.

Chanyeol lived in his past.

 

Sighing Chanyeol turned around to move and suddenly bumped onto someone.

“Unnghh”

The other person groaned muttering a muffled curse under his breath. After quickly adjusting himself Chanyeol looked at the man he had crashed onto. He really needed to stop zoning out and pay more attention to the reality. 

The first thing that Chanyeol noticed infront of him was perfectly groomed eyebrows creased over smoothe fair skin, a pair of sharp eyes and thin pink lips which were turned into a scowl.

Chanyeol wasn’t used to seeing people of the same or similar height since he always had a good height over almost anyone he met but this was guy stood as tall as him.

“Oh my god what is this? Gross” the man pulled his tshirt to his nose and sniffed on the pink liquid staining his white T-shirt.

Chanyeol immediately looked at his open bottle of milkshake which was now empty because he had obviously managed to spill the rest of drink on the other.

“Am so so sorry” Chanyeol mumbled in embarrassment “Are you hurt?”

“No but I am covered in strawberry shake and it’s worse” the guy pulled the neck of his Tshirt to prevent it from sticking even more to his body.

Chanyeol inwardly cringed himself for being clumsier than usual. 

“Sorry I should have been more careful..I-il pay for your laundry...your tshirt is ruined..am really sorry” Chanyeol ran fingers through his hair frustratedly.

“Yah well I feel really icky...anyway you have apologised enough” he lifted his palm and made a stop gesture. He had long and slim fingers with a few rings on them.

Not even thinking anything further Chanyeol offered suddenly “My place is just down the block..y-you can come and get cleaned up.. don’t worry i-“

“Won’t kill me and put me in a body bag?” The guy asked with a serious expression. Somehow his knitted eyebrows made his face look really stoic.

“No no I meant il help you get a clean tshirt, you don’t have to come if you don’t want to” Chanyeol stuttered nervously. His face was probably turning all shades of red. 

The guy’s face broke into a big smile making his eyes almost disappear - when was the last time he had seen someone smile so beautifully?

“I don’t think killers drink sickly sweet milkshakes anyway so il take my chances”
he shrugged his broad shoulders still smiling.

“I am Sehun” he stretched his pale hand forward.

Taking his hand in his own and shaking it limply Chanyeol muttered his name. He has always been a little awkward with strangers...atleast Kyungsoo always thought his awkwardness was cute.

 

“Just wait il pay for this and we can leave” showing his empty bottle Chanyeol walked towards the cash counter. He would have to come again since he ended up buying nothing he needed, instead he was taking a complete stranger to his house.

Just the realisation made him feel uncomfortable. It was so long that he had brought someone to his place.

Chanyeol slowly walked and Sehun followed him closely behind. They both were silent. Honestly Chanyeol was too embarrassed to even try to make a conversation.

 

“So you weren’t lying you do stay really close” Sehun said as they stepped inside the apartment.

“Yah” Chanyeol agreed turning the door latch. 
 

Now that the initial awkwardness was gone Chanyeol let his gaze linger on Sehun’s features, who was still toeing his shoes off. Sehun looked neat with his cropped hair, his skin healthy and he seemed well rested unlike his own disheveled self. Chanyeol hadn't even bother to look at the mirror before he had left for the store., Chanyeol was pretty sure that he needed a hair cut since his bangs were almost coming up to his eyes which looked tired from the lack of sleep. 
 

When Chanyeol realised that he has was staring at the other for too long he spoke “The bathroom is straight and on your left. You get cleaned up, il fetch you something if you don’t mind mind” 

“Alright” Sehun walked towards the bathroom and after hearing the door shut close Chanyeol let out a deep breath he didn’t know he was holding all along.

Chanyeol trudged himself to his bedroom,opening his wardrobe he looked for something that would fit Sehun. They fairly had a similar built...not that he meant to stare but he couldn’t help but notice the defined lines of Sehun’s muscular chest which was visible through the now pink splotch on the front of his tshirt. So maybe Sehun worked out unlike Chanyeol who always felt too unmotivated to go to the gym these days. It was not like he had someone to set alarms for his early morning running sessions or push him out of the bed and drag him to the gym. Not anymore that is. 

 

Sighing he kept looking and halted when his fingers touched a familiar soft fabric, Chanyeol slowly pulled the comforter out. It was one of the very few things that Chanyeol had left of Kyungsoo that still smelled of him. He brought the material to his nose inhaling the faint cologne...or what was left of it. Momentarily he closed his eyes and recalled the scarf wrapped warmly around Kyungsoo’s neck in those chilled evenings when they walked around the city.

“Hey am still waiting” the voice made Chanyeol pull himself out of his train of thoughts and he threw the scarf back inside the wardrobe, blindly grabbing a hoodie he ran towards the bathroom.

The door was slightly ajar, Chanyeol slowly knocked and Sehun let out his palm, Chanyeol handed him the hoodie...his eyes fell on the other whose pale chest was peeking out a little..Chanyeol immediately tore his gaze and left. He didn’t want Sehun to think he was staring because he wasn’t.

Chanyeol decided to make coffee..he needed to get rid of all the thoughts cluttering his mind right now. It felt too much.

As Chanyeol waited in front of the coffee maker for the coffee to finish brewing, Sehun walked in dressed in his hoodie which fitted him fairly well except for the sleeves that came down to his fingers. Chanyeol had a thing for oversized clothes which Kyungsoo used to joke about how he practically swam in his big clothes.

Judging from how Sehun’s jet black hair was decorated in water droplets he had probably taken a shower. Sehun was holding his soiled tshirt in his hand which was still dripping.

“I tried to rinse it but erm the stain won’t go.I actually don’t know how to wash clothes” Sehun lifted the wet bundle and smiled awkwardly.

“Handwashing won’t work, you will have to launder it, Il do it for you” Chanyeol said as he turned off the coffee maker and removed the pot.

“No no don’t trouble yourself it’s just a tshirt”


As far as Chanyeol’s fashion knowledge went he knew it was an expensive tshirt from the brand maybe Sehun was just rich or maybe he didn’t care.

“Here” Chanyeol handed him a plastic bag for the wet clothing.

“Thanks” after putting his tshirt inside the packet Sehun placed it on the coffee table table and walked towards the wall shelve which was mainly filled with books and some decorative items.

“Wow so many cook books” Sehun pointed out in a surprised tone.

Chanyeol kept the coffee mugs on the coaster placed on the table. Sitting down on the couch he remembered Kyungsoo buying all those books from his favourite old bookstore. He said the smell of old books were so intoxicating.

“Those aren’t mine” Chanyeol replied curtly. It came of slightly harsher than he had intended. It was a simple question yet he still didn’t know how to react to things that were related to him. 

Sehun turned to Chanyeol frowning, maybe something was in his voice that stopped Sehun from probing any further much to Chanyeol’s relief. Sehun sat down beside him on the couch taking the coffee mug in his hand.

“Soo other than bumping into people in departmental stores what do you do?” Sehun’s lips were tugged into a mischievous smile.

“I work as a layout designer for advertising” Chanyeol said as he sipped on his coffee...barely sweet and bitter just like how he preferred.

“What about you?”

“I am a photographer” Sehun made a clicking gesture with his free hand.

“That’s amazing”

“Most days. Yah. But trust me taking photos of snobby models isn’t always fun that’s why i work freelance” taking a gulp of the coffee Sehun shifted towards Chanyeol. 

“I gotta admit this is the best coffee I have ever had. I have had a lot of coffee in those overpriced shops but this is perfect - it’s just how I like it”

Sehun’s eyes shone brightly at the reflection of the the pendant lights hanging from the ceiling. They were locked at Chanyeol’s own brown ones and it felt too bright and too alive. Chanyeol instantly looked away mumbling a thank you.

There was a comfortable silence between them - having nothing to say they both just sipped on their drinks. Chanyeol eyed Sehun playing with the hem of the hoodie. The dark purple colour looks nice against Sehun’s pale skin Chanyeol thought. 

“Your apartment...it’s really homey too” Sehun muttered eyes set on the wind chime hanging near the window which was making a tingling sound from the light breeze “It’s not like mine” the last words were almost a whisper as if Sehun was speaking more to himself than to him. Chanyeol didn’t know Sehun enough to ask why. Of all people Chanyeol knew very well to never overstep the boundaries. 

With that Sehun placed the empty mug back on the table and got up from the couch. 
 

“Thanks for the coffee” 

“I can give you a ride” Following Sehun, Chanyeol also stood up hastily. 

“Thank you but I have my car...it’s parked near the store”

“Fine then il walk you till there”

 
They both walked out of the apartment gate.

 
“Mind if I smoke?” Sehun asked midway.

Chanyeol just nodded his head. He could already hear the clicking of a lighter from behind.

“You know you are definitely a lot nicer than the person who bumped into me a few days ago in the movie theatre...he didn’t even apologise when i dropped some of my popcorns” Sehun said as he removed the cigarette from his pink lips and blew the smoke in the air carefully.

Chanyeol walked slowly so Sehun didn’t fall behind.

“Guess that makes me feel a lot better” Chanyeol chuckled.

 

“Don’t worry il wash and return your hoodie” Sehun was leaning on his car now.

Sehun pulled the hood of the sweatshirt on his head. 

It was starting to get cold...Chanyeol dropped his hands inside the pockets and hummed in response.

“Anyway I gotta go...bye Sehun..be careful of bumbling strangers”

“Ooh so he jokes too” Sehun arched his eye brows and feigned a shocked expression.

Smiling Chanyeol turned around after saying another awkward goodbye for the second time. He never was good with goodbyes anyway.

Sehun watched the tall guy retreating. Taking the last drag from the glowing stick he threw it on the ground and crushed it with his shoes.
Maybe getting showered in strawberry milkshake wasn’t that bad after all. When the stranger was handsome and nice. But what enticed him the most was Chanyeol’s smile that never reached his eyes which was far too sad for Sehun’s liking.


 

━━━━ ⋆⋅ ☆ ⋅⋆ ━━━━


 

Rubbing his eyes tiredly Chanyeol closed the window and glanced at the digital clock on the corner of the screen, it was half past 1 already which meant he only had a good fifteen minutes to eat his lunch.

Pushing back the swivel chair to get up, his eyes fell on the desktop wallpaper which was a view from the Olympic Park Observation Tower in Beijing, a shot taken during one of Kyungsoo’s culinary competition in China.

Inspite of Kyungsoo’s tight schedule of him going through his menu again and again to perfect it and worrying about the completion Chanyeol had finally convinced him to take some time off and enjoy the trip.

When they had reached the top of the tower the ground below them was alive with lights, like someone had taken a handful of glitter and thrown it as far as the eyes could see.

It was Kyungsoo who had taken the picture while Chanyeol had kept his arm wrapped around his waist worried that his small boyfriend might fall.

Chanyeol jolted up as he felt a tap on his shoulder.

Junmyeon, his friend and co-worker was staring at him with his usual gentle and caring expression.

“You really need to stop doing this”

“Doing what ?” Chanyeol asked as he stood up from his seat leaning up to lock his computer.

“This” gesturing with his hand his friend remarked, “zoning out completely, I asked you twice if you wanted to go for lunch and you didn’t even hear me”

Chanyeol’s finger paused on the keyboard for a second before he looked back to Junmyeon who genuinely looked worried for him.

“Its nothing” Chanyeol smiled.

“It’s not nothing, it’s been 7 months Chanyeol since Kyungsoo has-“

He didn’t want to hear the rest.

Quickly grabbing his suit jacket which was draped on his chair Chanyeol placed his palm on the small of Junmyeon’s back and said, “Let’s go for lunch Hyung, my treat”

 

                           

After lunch Chanyeol went back to devoting himself to work. It was his best distraction. Being swamped with work didn’t let his mind wander off to the beautiful memories that were now too painful to even reminisce.

His phone vibrated for the second time.
It was an unknown number, reluctantly Chanyeol picked up.

“Hello”


“Hey what’s up?”


The voice sounded vaguely familiar but he couldn’t put a name on it, so he asked, “sorry who is this?”


“It’s Sehun the guy you dropped your milkshake on”


“Ohh you, s-sorry...how are you?”


It was Sehun who had asked for Chanyeol’s number before he walked back to his house the day they met. Chanyeol had gotten a text returning after sometime which read ‘This is me - Sehun’ he had stared at it for sometime and decided to save it latter. He wasn’t sure that they would meet again anyway.

“Well the fact that you forgot to save my number hurt me” Sehun sighed exaggeratedly.

“Sorry it must have slipped out of my mind, il save it now”

“It’s been a minute and you have already apologised thrice that’s gotta be a record”
Chanyeol could hear Sehun chuckling on the other side. 

“At least you are having a good laugh on my expense”

“No offence but your awkwardness is cute”
It felt like déjà vu to Chanyeol because Sehun was the second person who said that to him in his whole life.

“None taken”

“Anyway” Sehun sing-songed, “the reason am calling is are you free today? after work?”

“Yah, why?” Chanyeol replied immediately.

“Well I actually want to return your hoodie so meet me at the Moonlight Cafe. When do you get off from work?”

“Around 7pm I guess” Chanyeol himself didn’t understand why he kept agreeing to meet Sehun maybe he was just going with the flow not wanting to come off rude.

“Fine Il see you there at 7:30...don’t be late”

With that the call got disconnected with a click.

Chanyeol kept his phone on the table and realised a few of his coworkers from the other cubicles were glancing at him curiously maybe because he never spoke to anyone on phone during breaks much rather during working hours. 

Sighing he went back to work, but he ended up googling the location of Moonlight cafe which apparently wasn’t very far from his office.


                             

Chanyeol took a seat at the corner. The quaint cafe was full with customers at this time. There was a soft jazz music playing in the background and the air was filled with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee.

He hadn’t been to a cafe for quite a long time, there were too many memories attached to long hours of talking about absolutely nothing and everything over coffee and too sweet cupcakes.

Before Chanyeol could dwell any longer over his nostalgia, he watched Sehun walking towards him.

Sehun was dressed in a light blue shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbow. Paired with dark washed jeans. His black hair was messily styled. Chanyeol’s hoodie folded and draped neatly on his arm. Sehun looked good.

Sehun pulled the chair opposite to him and plopped down with a huff.

“Sorry for being late, I had a shoot” saying he handed the hoodie over to Chanyeol.

“You look good in blue” the words tumbled out of Chanyeol’s mouth without even giving himself a moment to think.

Oh did he just say that out loud?

“Thank you” Sehun looked a little surprised.
Then he added with a smirk, “Actually I look good in a lot of colours you just haven’t seen all of it”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and Sehun bursted out laughing.

“I was just joking....let’s order shall we? I am starving” saying Sehun picked up the menu card and started flipped through the pages.

Deciding on whatever he wanted to eat Sehun raised his hand in the air to get the waitresses attention who was standing near the register.

The young girl strode to their table with a small notebook and pen in her hand, smiling.

“Il have the ham and cheese sandwich with cole slaw, and a mint chocolate please” Sehun said pointing his finger to the particular dish on the menu card.

After taking down his order the girl turned to Chanyeol who hadn’t even taken a look at the menu card “I will have a caffe Americano, thank you”

“What? That’s all you are going to have?” Sehun enquired a bit too loudly surprising the waitress.

“Yah why?” Chanyeol asked blinking.

“Well I can’t possibly eat all these while you sit here and just sip on your coffee...it will make me look like a bad guy” Sehun sulked.

“Am not hungry” Chanyeol had kind of lost his appetite a while back he mostly survived on too many cups of coffee and too many packets of ramyun.

“At least have something sweet” Sehun pulled the menu card to his side to check for the dessert section.

“Sir you can try the Redvelvet cake” the waitress chimed in.

“No no I don’t like sweet things” Chanyeol didn’t want to keep her engaged anymore. He believed that wasting a servers time was a sin that deserved a special place in hell.

After she left, Sehun looked at Chanyeol with a slight grin, “I thought someone who drank sickly sweet strawberry milkshake will have a penchant for dessert”

“I actually hate it”

“Hate what?”

“I hate that milkshake” Chanyeol confessed  and Sehun narrowed his eyes.

“You keep surprising me Park Chanyeol”
With that Chanyeol felt his knees brushing with Sehun’s as he adjusted his seat. They both had long legs it was really hard to move around in the limited space.

Chanyeol quickly glanced at the other, Sehun was staring at him. His eyes glowing a little too bright in the ambient lighting of the cafe.

“You know the waitress seem to have taken a liking towards you” Sehun propped his elbows on the table and rested his chin on the palm of his hands. As if he was about to listen to an interesting story.

“Why would you think that?” Chanyeol hadn’t even looked at her face properly.

“She kept stealing glances, I noticed” Sehun had a cheeky smile on his face.

“Or maybe she was just being nice” Chanyeol argued with a shrug.

“I think there is a difference between being nice and being suggestive. Please tell me you have had some experience in flirting?”

“No not really” Chanyeol could feel his ears heating up just a little.

“I bet you don’t need to flirt you just seduce people with your fatal awkwardness and those big eyes of yours”

Laughing Sehun poked Chanyeol’s arm with his finger whose gaze was glued to the salt cellar and pepper shaker on the table.

Not that he was going to share but Chanyeol had only ever tried using pick up lines on one person in his life because he had fallen for those sparkling eyes the minute he had seen them.

The waitress was back with their order, she placed the coffee cup in front of Chanyeol and smiled coyly at him, to which Sehun nudged his knee under the table startling Chanyeol who accidentally hit the sugar pot with his too big hands spilling the content on the table.

Chanyeol kept apologising profusely after that.

Sehun ended up laughing uncontrollably tears almost spilling from his eyes. Chanyeol reasoned that maybe his clumsiness was embarrassing but it was kind of worth it because Sehun’s loud laugh sounded nice.

Chanyeol almost immediately felt guilty thinking that way. Like he was cheating on someone.


Sehun’s phone rang, picking up the call his facial expression changed quickly into an impassive mask.

“Yah I will be back maybe after an hour”

 

“ “

“Why?”

“ “

“No il see you later”

“ “

“Yah bye”

The sentences were too short and clipped.
Disconnecting the call and composing himself Sehun looked at Chanyeol smiling.

“Do you need to leave?” Chanyeol enquired because somehow Sehun’s smile seemed a little forced.

“No no it’s just my boyfriend, everything’s fine” he fanned his fingers in the air.

“Oh your boyfriend...what does he do?”
Chanyeol took the last swig of his Americano and placed the empty cup on the table.

“He is an aspiring model” Sehun replied unenthusiastically poking his coleslaw with his fork.

“Was he one of your snobby models?” Chanyeol asked with an innocent expression.
Sehun eyed Chanyeol looking amused, “Oh you remember? no not really but I met Baekhyun in one of the photo shoots two years ago during my internship”

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol repeated the name.

“Yah Byun Baekhyun”

For the rest of the evening Sehun didn’t mention his boyfriend anymore instead they talked about anything that seemed to cross their minds. Chanyeol wasn’t much of a talker so he just listened to Sehun. He listened to Sehun’s voice and watched his hands move animatedly as he talked. Chanyeol found himself smiling.

When they came out of the cafe, the chilly autumn breeze tousled Sehun’s hair pinking his cheeks.

“Here” Chanyeol extended his hoodie to Sehun.

Sehun glanced at him confused, “I just gave you back, I washed it myself” he retorted almost as if he was proud of himself.

“Yah but it’s cold and you aren’t wearing any layers, so keep it” Chanyeol shuffled his feet on the ground.

Sehun slowly took the sweatshirt from his hand and slipped it over his head and reaching up to tuck his now messy hair back in place.

“Thank you for today” Sehun murmured.

“No I should thank you...I had a good time”
Chanyeol fished out the car keys from his jacket pocket

Sehun suddenly took a step closer, hesitant “will I see you again?”

Chanyeol looked up to Sehun’s hopeful eyes,
“Yah I mean you do have to return the hoodie” Hearing that Sehun smiled broadly, his eyes turning into crescents.

“Goodnight Chanyeol”

“Goodnight” Chanyeol waved at him slightly and walked towards his car. He paused before opening the car door and turned around to find Sehun still standing there. Eyes fixed on the busy street across them.

“Hey I am guessing I am older than so you should call me Hyung” Chanyeol’s voice made Sehun look at him with a soft smile, he just nodded in reply and turned around probably heading to where he had parked his own car.

Driving back to his apartment, Chanyeol realised that he was still capable of having a good time.

He drifted to sleep thinking of deadlines, the usual pair of doe eyes that never left his mind and the colour bluewhich was something new.

 

━━━━ ⋆⋅ ☆ ⋅⋆ ━━━━