One

Leading Us to This New Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As much as he didn't want to show it, Hyukjae suffered when his relationship with Donghae came to an end.

He remembered when he took his stuff and put it in the moving truck. He remembered also putting the ring in his pocket and saying it was better that way, since none of them would suffer in a relationship that seemed to have no future.

But they loved each other.

They loved each other unconditionally.

However, Hyukjae and Donghae couldn't even stay in the same place without them fighting in front of the employees.

Hyukjae was a chef at his restaurant Scarecrow while Donghae was a pastry chef.

They practically spent 24 hours a day together and it wasn't working. That didn't work out.

So after a long conversation, they decided it would be better to break up. But Hyukjae never thought Donghae would quit his job at the restaurant. It was like a stab in the heart and he knew he couldn't be without the brown-haired man there. But Donghae was determined to move away so that they would at least recover from all that tense moment.

It worked.

Hyukjae noticed that his mood had improved and Donghae realized that part of his mood had returned. Obviously they still loved each other, but they used that distance as an incentive for personal growth.

But after four months away from each other, Hyukjae received the sudden visit from Donghae.

And what he heard left him gaping.

But happy.

They would have a baby.

How? Donghae couldn’t explain. All he needed was Hyukjae beside him in that confused moment. And he was afraid his ex–boyfriend wouldn't support him.

- And how are we going to do this? – Hyukjae asked – I mean, I... It's all so confusing.

- I know that, but I don't know what to do now. Just want to know if you will help me or not. If your answer is no, I'll be back to Mokpo and not bothering you with anything at all.

At that moment Hyukjae's eyes widened. Despite being surreal, he didn't want to miss anything from one of the most amazing moments in his life. And that's exactly why he held Donghae's hand and said:

- You can count on me for everything. I would never stop supporting you. – they smiled – We just have to make it work for our child and for both of us.

Donghae nodded and let Hyukjae use his thumbs to wipe his cheeks. And even if they weren't together as a couple, they would be together as parents of that unborn baby and the bond they would have forever.

And so, at three in the afternoon on October 31, Lee Arrow was born, bringing a huge happiness to his parents’ life.

***

Hyukjae couldn't stop looking at the baby who was sleeping peacefully in his arms.

While Donghae was recovering after a long night feeling pain because of the healing on his belly, Hyukjae had a chance to stay with their son that morning on November 1st.

And he was so happy.

Arrow was born healthy at just over 5 pounds and 50 centimeters. He had chubby cheeks and until that moment it wasn’t possible to tell whether he looked like Hyukjae or Donghae. However, all they knew was that they both wanted the world to know how excited they were about that new stage in their lives.

After all, Hyukjae's friends questioned the chef several times about how he and Donghae would raise Arrow when they were actually separate parents. Hyukjae hated that kind of question, because he didn't want to give details of his life like that – not even to his friends – about what he and the brown-haired man decided about raising their son.

Donghae, in turn, had been bombarded with questions that made him cry for an entire night. Some people made the brown-haired man doubt himself about his ability to care for a baby without Hyukjae being present. Donghae felt a pain that has never been there before. He imagined having to explain daily to Arrow why his parents didn't live in the same house or why he had to spend some weekends at Hyukjae's house.

It was a situation.

But Hyukjae was an ex-boyfriend who supported Donghae blindly.

He went to the brown-haired man's house and they spent the entire morning talking about what they were going to do to raise Arrow. And in fact, everything was very simple: each one would have their lawyer to discuss child support and visits. But everything was simple because they were friends, even after they broke up, and they just wanted Arrow to have a good life – after all, the baby would always be their top priority on the list.

- Hyukjae-ssi? – the nurse called, taking Hyukjae out of his reverie while looking at Arrow who was sleeping with his little finger in his mouth – Can I take him?

- Already?

- Unfortunately. – and as Hyukjae pursed his lips, the nurse laughed softly and said – No need to worry. Soon you will be able to see him again.

Hyukjae nodded and handed Arrow to the nurse, but not before rubbing his nose on that chubby, soft cheek. The baby grunted and frowned when he felt something was wrong, but he didn't wake up when the nurse left to take him back to the nursery.

Hyukjae sighed and drummed his fingers on his thighs, looking at the bed where Donghae slept without even having seen the nurse bring and take Arrow. The brown-haired man slept practically the rest of the previous day and the beginning of that day, as he felt exhausted after all the hard work he had.

And being with Donghae at that moment was a gift to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae managed to leave the restaurant as soon as Leeteuk, his cousin, said he would take care of everything while he ran to the hospital to see his son being born. Hyukjae has never been so grateful before and just had to be careful not to have an accident on the way. But luckily he arrived as soon as Donghae was being taken to the operating room.

Hyukjae stayed with Donghae the entire time. He held the brown-haired man's hand and kissed him on the forehead after whispering that everything would be fine. Donghae smiled and thanked him for his support, looking at his ex–boyfriend who didn’t stop smiling while holding his hand. And they were in that little world so happy that they only looked away when they heard the cry that filled the room.

And so they saw Arrow.

And so they smiled widely.

Arrow was beautiful and only theirs.

Their son.

And when he held Arrow in his arms, Donghae felt that all those months of suffering with nausea were worth it. He felt that the cramps and contractions were absolutely nothing. After all, he was carrying his first and probably only child there in his arms and nothing could take that away from him.

“My God!!!!!!!!!! My nephew is so beautiful! I need to see him!”

Hyukjae chuckled when he read this message from Leeteuk and only replied with a “rest assured that you will see him soon”, as Donghae woke up and tried to sit on the bed – but he just couldn't do it because he was in pain.

- Want help? – the brown-haired man nodded and the older one helped him to sit down – I'll just put the pillows here for you to be comfortable.

- Thanks. – Donghae smiled when Hyukjae adjusted the pillows. And after touching that soft pile, he his own belly – The baby really was born... – and smiled – Where is Arrow?

- The nurse just left here with him.

- Oh... – he pouted – I wanted to see my son. I couldn't see him after I came here.

Hyukjae smiled.

- You'll be able to stay with him. What happened was that Arrow slept and the nurse needs to take him, but soon he will wake up to drink the milk and so you can feed him.

And as frustrated as he was, Donghae had to smile. This was the moment when things started to get real more and more.

- And what is Arrow like? – Donghae asked with enthusiasm that made Hyukjae laugh – Really, Hyukjae! Is he quiet or crying a lot?

- I think Arrow was calm while he was here. He tried to get used to the light and tried to understand who I was.

- And he came to me?

- Certainly. I walked with him in my arms around the room and showed you so he could see you better. Arrow's eyes were so curious when he saw you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter