Black Ring

The Color of My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yangyang groaned as he turned over and glanced at the text message he had just recieved from his best friend, Renjun. Picking up his phone, he opened it grudgingly. 

'Sorry, didi. I know its early, but ur headed out soon anyway.. Theres something odd about my ring and I know ur better at figuring things like this out, and I could use some advice right now. Im at a loss...'

Heaving a deep sigh that turned into a yawn, the young man got out of his bed and seriously considered going over to his friend's house in his pajamas...and giving him a lecture on proper grammar, even if it was just a text message. It still wasn't an excuse for something that didn't make sense. Rummaging through his dresser, he found a simple black shirt and black jeans, pulling them on quickly before remembering to send a text to Renjun. 

'I'll be there in a minute.'

Deciding against socks, Yangyang shoved his feet into his closest shoes and headed out the door after grabbing his backpack. He would need to head to his college classes in a few hours, so it was better to take it with him. Locking the door, he walked across the lawn to Renjun's house and opened the door he already knew was unlocked, since his friend didn't take the same safety measures as he did. 

Walking straight down the hall, he glanced into the other bedroom to make sure Renjun's roommates were gone and smiled when he found the room empty. He paused when he glanced into Renjun's room, noticing the far away. serious expression on the shorter man's face. That was a look that usually pushed Yangyang straight back out the door, if it had been anyone else. Chewing on his lower lip, he reminded himself that this was his best friend and not some random stranger, knocking on the doorjam lightly.

Renjun smiled at him, an action that didn't meet his eyes. "Oh, hey. Thanks for coming over. I would have gone over there but I knew that you would be leaving in a little while." Forcing a grin, he added an encentive. "I'll give you a ride to the university on my way to work."

Yangyang smiled at him, dropping his heavy backpack on the carpet. "Thank you. I would appreciate that, since it's save me the bus trip." Glancing at the ring on Renjun's hand, he sat down on the bed. "So, what's up with your ring? May I see it?" 

Renjun nodded, twisting the ring to take it off. "Um, you know how these rings are supposed to change color, based on the mood of our soulmate? Well, it was light blue just last night." He fell silent, a definite sign that he was distressed. Handing the ring to Yangyang, his eyes flicked to his friend's face. 

Yangyang took the ring in his hand,  noticing the color of it right away: it was solid black and dull, a typical sign that the person's soulmate had passed away. Sighing, he felt a pang of guilt, glancing at his own ring, which was almost always a soft green or pink color.At the moment, it was pink, but now he wished that he knew the true meaning behind the rings and there colors. "I'm sorry, Renjun. It might mean something else, too. like maybe they're sick or something." 

Renjun nodded, chewing on his lip nervously. "I don't know, Yang. I mean, when my dad died, my mom's ring went black, and it was the same with my grandpa." 

Yangyang noticed the tears forming in his friend's eyes, knowing that the emotion was coming from more than just some guy he hadn't met possibly dying. His friend was t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter