Yerim

Two People; Different Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was very unusual for Joohyun and Seungwan to have a quiet lunch with their 17 year old daughter, both were looking at each other, eyebrows raising and eyes side glancing at their daughter, trying to convey to each other the words they just can’t say out loud: “You ask her she’s your daughter.” and “No, you ask her you’re her mother.” As if both of those does not apply to the two of them.

 

When Joohyun’s eyebrows scrunched and glances turned to glares, Seungwan knew right then and there that she should be the one to ask. Sighing in defeat, she mouthed an ‘Okay’ at her wife sitting across her, who smirked in return to which she just rolled her eyes, and turned to the teenager on the other side of their table.

 

She cleared to get the young one’s attention, who looked at her with brows raised, “Yerim, you’re strangely quiet today, is there something wrong?”

 

Yerim looked at her then to her right, to her other parent’s direction, who has wide eyes filled with anticipation, then looked back to Seungwan, “Am I that obvious?”

 

“Well,” Seungwan trailed off and looked at Joohyun asking for help, her wife sighed and placed her utensils down.

 

“You usually talk and share stories of your week and now, you’re really quiet and we want to know if there’s something bothering you,” her mom explained.

 

“Oh, uhm, yeah. Mom, Ma, there’s this girl in my school I want to ask out to the coming school dance...” The seventeen year old trailed off.

 

Both parents were waiting for their daughter to continue and when she didn’t Joohyun finished for her, “And you’re afraid to ask?”

 

Yerim gently nodded, her Mama Joohyun always knows what’s going on, “I don’t know how to do it.”

 

“You can just ask her directly,” Joohyun suggested.

 

Yerim scoffed, as if it’s that easy, she wished it was that easy. When her mother realized what she had said she added something that Yerim found so hard to believe.

 

“Seungwan can teach you the ways to woo a girl,” The woman mentioned stopped her chewing with cheeks puffed with food looking like a fluffy hamster, eyes wide from shock when her wife suggested, while looking at the two most important ladies in her life. Seungwan gently dropped her spoon and fork and swallowed what she was eating.

 

“Seriously? Mommy? I don’t believe you, Ma.”

 

“Hey! I do know how to get a girl or two I’ve had a few shares back when I was your age,” Seungwan defended herself, feeling a bit proud reminiscing her prime days but it immediately went away when she saw her wife raising her right brow, she faked coughed, “It worked on your Mom here,” Joohyun just smiled seeing her wife’s flustered face, she held and squeezed her hand telling her to rest easy.

 

“All you do with her are greasy lines though, Mom.”

 

Seungwan turned to Joohyun asking for help, “Come on, hun. Are you just gonna let our kid drag me down?” To which Joohyun just shrugged and laughed it off.

 

Seungwan sighed in defeat, she shook her head and brushed her short hair with her free hand, “Fine, if you don’t want my help you can ask your grandparents.”

 

Yerim’s face didn’t show any qualms, Seungwan hated to admit but she felt sad that their daughter didn’t believe her, but it all dissipated when she saw Joohyun’s smile as if she knows what’s going to happen with their parents giving love advice to their daughter.

 

“That’s actually a good idea, I heard so many stories about Grandma Yul and Grandma Taeng’s experiences with girls, so we’ll go to which house tomorrow?”

 

“That’s not a problem, I will call them to come over tomorrow,” Joohyun said, rubbing her thumb over the back of Seungwan’s hands comforting her.

 

“Great! This is gonna be so fun,” Yerim stood up, immediately facing her phone doing God-knows-what.

 

“Right,” Seungwan muttered, Joohyun stood up and walked around the table and towards Seungwan, she placed her arms on her shoulders and crouched to give her wife a kiss on the cheeks.

 

“It’s okay, Mommy Taeyeon’s and your mom’s charms are nothing compared to yours and I love you for that.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Why do you think I married you?” Joohyun let her go and went on cleaning with the table.

 

“Cause of my body?” Seungwan joked which earned her a gentle push on her head by Joohyun’s free hand, they laughed and Seungwan stood up to help her wife with cleaning up.

 

*

 

Joohyun awoke to the soft lights of the sun passing through the slightly opened curtains. She squeezed her eyes shut trying to get the sleepiness from her eyes away, she wanted to stand up to close the curtains, knowing fully well how her partner disliked the lights while in slumber.

 

In the act of pushing herself up, the arms that circled her waist pulled her closer. Breathe tickled on her nape.

 

“Leave it, stay with me for a bit,” Joohyun smiled widely at her wife’s request. She hummed in response, feeling comfortable in Seungwan’s hold she stayed still and a few minutes she dozed off again.

 

The moment when they’re fully awake it was already 10AM with Joohyun grumbling about how Seungwan didn’t wake her up and how she has to prepare lunch for their parents. Seungwan just gave her a chuckle and something that went along with, “I only said for a bit not for a few hours,” which earned her a glare.

 

“If you’re just gonna talk, please use the mouth of yours in calling our parents and where are their whereabouts,” Joohyun said while chopping a few herbs and spices, “After that come back here,”

 

“Cause you need me in your life?”

 

They both heard a groan from the doorway, they didn’t have to look to know who it was, “You’re really greasy mom.”

 

Joohyun and Seungwan chuckled at their daughter’s statement, with Seungwan standing up to call their parents and Yerim sat at the now empty seat, while typing away on her phone. Joohyun turned to look at her daughter, seeing her smiling she went back to cooking.

 

After a few minutes Seungwan came back hugging her from behind and kissed her cheeks letting out a casual, “Missed me?”

 

Yerim who witnessed everything let out a loud sigh enough for them to hear, both just smiled at their daughter’s reaction then Seungwan let go of her wife and helped her with the cooking.

 

The moment when her grandparents arrived, Yerim who was told to tidy the living room up greeted them, dusting of her hands on her cotton shorts, and hugged them one by one.

 

“My, you’ve grown, Squirtle.” The youngling was greeted with a bright eye smile and a tight hug.

 

“Yes, she’s now taller than Taeng.” A cackle.

 

“As if your daughter is any much taller!”

 

“Shut it you two.” All it took was an icy piercing glare and two of Yerim’s grandparents were now silent.

 

Yerim was about to complain about the choice of nickname but she let it slide, she did missed being called by that name, most especially from her grandparents. She looked at the quartet’s chaos, it’s been a while since they’ve gotten together like this. Yerim smiled and started at the four of the elderly woman, despite of the age they do not look that old. Up till now, she still wonders what their skin care routines re for them to look so young for their age.

 

“Mom!” Yerim heard her own mother exclaimed when she saw her parents.

 

“Seungwan-ah, have you been well?”

 

“Yeah, I hope you and mom are doing well too.” Seungwan answered.

 

After exchanging greetings, she led them to their dining area where her partner was waiting for everyone. Another round of greetings for Joohyun before everyone settled down and started eating.

 

“So Joohyun what’s the occasion, suddenly wanting us to come over?” Joohyun’s mother, Taeyeon, asked.

 

Joohyun took a few seconds to respond eyeing her wife and daughter who just raised their eyebrows at her, she sighed. Why does it always have to be me?

 

“Yerim has struggles,” She said, the other six at the table waited for her to continue but she didn’t, thinking someone should continue the topic for everyone.

 

Seungwan sighed and looked at her parents, “Kiddo here wants both of your help in asking someone to the dance,” she said whilst pointing at Taeyeon and Yuri.

 

“What about us?” Seungwan’s other mom, Sooyeon, asked her eyebrows raised in question while pointing at herself and at Miyoung, Joohyun’s other mother.

 

“It’s okay, Jessica,” Miyoung just smiled and settled her spoon and fork, wiping the excess grease from her lips, “Taeng and Yul are bound to fail anyway.”

 

“Well,” Seungwan let out an airy laugh thinking of proper words to say or she might just strike a chord that would led to her mother bring forth chaos in her home, with her age she might as well have the right to answer back or say anything to her parents, yet with just one look from her mother, Sooyeon, she quivers just thinking of her ice cold glare.

 

Yuri, seeing her daughter’s struggle to continue turned to Yerim and spoke, “You like her?”

 

To which the youngling just nodded, cheeks turning pink in the process.

 

“So what’s that issue?” This time it was Taeyeon who probed.

 

“It’s not easy asking someone out, especially when a lot of people are flocking over her.” Yerim stated as she slumped on her chair earning a slap on her hands from Joohyun, telling her it’s rude to slouch in front of the food.

 

While she sat straight up she heard the adults’ concurrent ‘aah’s’.

 

“A popular girl,” Miyoung said in straight english which made Taeyeon smirk while Yuri and Sooyeon roll their eyes with Sooyeon adding a ‘show off’ in the same language.

 

Seungwan stared at Joohyun, both gave each other a knowing look and smiled shyly at each other, Seungwan definitely can relate as Joohyun was one of the famous students from college – the thought sure brought a lot of memories from her confession to courting and to where they are now.

 

“Yerim’s popular too,” Joohyun stated, now everyone’s turning her way while Yerim narrowed her eyes at her mother, not trusting what she’s gonna say next, “as a troublemaker.”

 

“I am not!” The youngest in the room’s interjection had all the elders laughing for they all know that what Joohyun said was somewhat true.

 

“Well, if you’re talking about troublemakers, bet you didn’t know that we were all called at the Students’ Affairs Office because of your parents.” Sooyeon uttered while rounding her thumb pointing to the other three that she came in with while two of Yerim’s parents went wide eyes, a hint of pink evident on their faces and bowed their heads a bit, clearly guilty of what happened.

 

Yerim looked at her parents head turning to one at the other, eyes full of curiosity. It’ll be the first time she’s going to hear this story, so she tried to be attentive to each detail as much as possible. She didn’t say anything to interrupt her Grandma Sooyeon’s story; she just scanned everyone’s amused faces.

 

“Well, apparently someone who’s a part of the school band got crowded by girls asking for that someone’s pager number,” Sooyeon paused while chuckling, looking at her daughter’s shy smile as she continued, it’s always fun to and Joohyun, “so that someone’s girlfriend for 24 hours didn’t like what she saw, suddenly everything was so chaotic, that’s what they told us.”

 

“And that someone is,” Yuri paused and imitated a drum roll, Seungwan just shook her head finding the actions so ridiculous, “your Mommy right here.”

 

“Mommy was famous?” Yerim asked in disbelief, her thumb pointing to her short-haired parent.

 

“You think too little of me child.” Seungwan responded.

 

“And Mama Joohyun was involved in a fight?” The disbelief in Yerim’s tone is more evident.

 

“Oh, more than a fight it was a brawl, uhm how do you guys call it in this time... a catfight?” Taeyeon chuckled earning a glare from her daughter.

 

“You’re exaggerating mom, there wasn’t any fight to begin with. In my defense, I just told them they’re crowding Seungwan too much, then one girl suddenly pushed me, so I pushed back and just in time a professor saw it.”

 

“Wow, Ma I didn’t know you were the type to get into such things.” Yerim joked, she chuckled at her parent’s reaction who narrowed her eyes at her.

 

“I didn’t know you’re the type to chicken out in asking a girl.” Joohyun retorted whilst raising her eyebrow at Yerim, she crossed her arms feeling like she just dropped the mic. That’s what she imagined like that one show Yerim was watching that one weekend.

 

“Wow, the attack.” Yerim held a hand on her chest mocking an offended face.

 

“Do you have her number though?” Miyoung asked, “’cause that’s how you know if she’s interested.”

 

Yerim’s silence and her fiddling with the utensils was pretty much a giveaway, “so you don’t have her number,” her grandma Sooy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter