The Past and the Present

Just Another Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heads-up: Scenes regarding adoption

  'Most companies nowadays refuse to follow the rules of professional ethics, and end up even defying the Law. We, as lawyers...' the professor's monotonous voice droned on, beating loudly against Junmyeon's eardrums. He stifled a yawn and the corner of the page lazily, eyes b with tears of sleep. The moment the bell rang, he hurriedly packed up and jogged out of class. Dodging elbows in a crowd of twenty year olds to catch an early train was no walk in the park - literally. Junmyeon inhaled deeply and set out. 

 

 

 

   As he was moving around a large crowd gathered on the pavement, Junmyeon's ears picked up a rather melodious voice... one that had a non-Korean accent to it. He slowed his pace, arguing with himself that he could afford to kill ten minutes, at the most. He made it to the third row of the semi-circular crowd and craned his neck to get a better view.

 

 

 

   A young male, mostly Chinese, was strumming his guitar and singing 'Footsteps' by Na Yoon Kwon - Junmyeon's favourite song. He hummed it almost every morning! Riddled with curiosity, Junmyeon stayed for the whole performance. Clapping and placing some money in the jar nearby, he noticed the performance was for donations to an orphanage. Smiling to himself, Junmyeon lingered for a bit before gathering his guts to talk to the singer.

 

   'That was beautiful,' the trainee-lawyer commented.

 

'Ah, thank you,' the singer beamed. He flashed a dimpled smile at him - somehow, Junmyeon felt light-headed. They talked for almost fifteen minutes passionately about music, before thoughts of the train struck Junmyeon.

 

'Ah!! I'm late!! I'm sorry... you were great. How about... we meet up next week for some coffee?'

 

'...same time next Wednesday at the cafe just across the street,' the singer smiled after a few hesitant moments, punching his personal number into the other's phone.

 

'Wait, what's your name?!'

 

'Zhang Yixing,' the singer smiled at Junmyeon's absent-mindedness. Hurriedly exchanging names and numbers, Junmyeon stumbled through the crowds. Yixing looked on, anticipating the next week.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   'Ah~ it's almost been two years since we know each other!!' Yixing sighed and rolled to his side, deeply inhaling the sweet scent of freshly mowed grass. Junmyeon a drop of dew lightly as a smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

 

'Marry me, please?' Junmyeon whispered loud enough for his boyfriend to hear. Yixing turned slowly and stared into the other's eyes. Junmyeon felt nervous and he sat up, dusting his arms.

 

'I mean it. I'm in love with you, Yixing. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you.'

'... but we can't! I mean... it's not legalized!' the Chinese sputtered.

 

'So? What... legalization, when we do love each other?' Junmyeom argued. 'Despite me being a lawyer's assistant, myself,' he mentally added. 'We can go to... New York and get legally married, if you want! Or we can even have a private ceremony like the one done in 2000... or---'

 

Yixing hugged him tightly and buried his face in the crook of his neck. Junmyeon stayed still and stiff, afraid of what was to come next.

 

'All right, then. A private ceremony. Just... don't get into any problems at work.'

'So that's what this is about,' Junmyeon mused, pulling away to crash their lips together messily.

'I love yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter