The Initial Stage

Just Another Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

'Oh my God, baba, this looks so weird on me!' Zitao scrunched his face at the plaid shirt, tugging at its ends irritably. 

'It's just for a few hours, Tao-zi,' Yixing sighed, exasperated with his yonger son. 

'Appa. Tell baba this looks weird on me,' the boy turned to the awkward adult nearby and huffed. Junmyeon pursed his lips at the random attention and rubbed the back of his neck. 

'Anything that Zitao's comfortable in will be fine...' he trailed off, smiling sheepishly at Yixing's facepalm. 'Besides,' he continued. 'It's nothing formal. So he can wear his---'

'THANK YOU, APPA!' Zitao squealed and fumbled with the black buttons of his shirt, carelessly discarding them on the floor once Yixing freed him. They watched in amusement as he squirmed into his long sleeveless shirt, sighing in contentment and grinning widely. 

'Baba, what's with this sleeve?' a bored Sehun stepped into the room and pointed at his wrists. Junmyeon knelt down and buttoned his sleeves. 

 

 

'Okay, so... water bottles, napkins, phones, wallets, driver's licences, candies...'

'Baba, let's go!!' Zitao jumped in the backseat and kicked Sehun's lap in excitement. 'I want to meet the giant!'

'Is Uncle Giant really coming today?' Sehun piped up. 

'Yixing, let's go. It's a thirty-minute drive,' Junmyeon pleaded. Yixing nodded and got in, adjusting the children's seatbelts and wearing his own. 

 

On the way, Junmyeon's phone began to chime to a random acapella. Yixing nodded and took the call for his husband, pursing his lips in worry at the voice of the male over the line. 

'I can't do this,' a clipped voice announced. 

'You can, Yifan,' Yixing assured and shook his head with a small smile. 'You ju---'

'But what if something goe---'

'Just take some deep brea---'

'What if I make a fool out of myself?! I can't have my cool-guy image ruined!!'

'You'll do just fine, Wu Yifan! Who are you? Say it out loud!'

'Wu Yifan,' he mumbled from the other side. 

'Who are you? I can't hear you!'

'WU YIFAN! LET'S DO THIS!' the Chinese cheered and cut the call. Yixing chuckled and shook his head. 

'Newbie troubles.'

'It's always the noobs,' Junmyeon laughed. Yixing leaned his head against the seat's head-rest and closed his eyes, recalling their own first date. 

 

'Oh... I'm going to swear in a bit, I can feel the words coming up,' Yixing wiped his sweaty hands on his trackpants and sighed. 

'You'll be fine, gege, just go already!'  the girl next to him cheered and handed him his change of clothes. 

'Yah, Kwon Nari!' Yixing mock-scolded when she laughed and flicked a crayon at him. 

'What? This is the orphanage's playroom, don't you expect crayons to be all over the place?'

'Oh, haha.'

'No, but seriously, gege. You'll do great. Just play the piano or guitar for him, sing, even, to charm him! Or just smile,' she suggested. Yixing stretched his lips across his face into a goofy grin, nervously half-closing his eyes and asking, 'Is this it?' through his teeth. Nari quickly took a picture on her phone, tapped him and it in his face. 

'Even a chameleon with purple braces and half a liver can do better than this,' she scolded. 'Show those cute dimples off!'

Yixing tried once more, bursting into nervous laughter. 

'Okay, now you just look constipated.'

'Oh, leave me alone!' he threw his hands up in frustration and sat himself in one of the bean-bags nearby. Nari sat cross-legged next to him and squeezed his knee comfortingly. 

'I'm sure you'll charm him. Just be yourself.'

Yixing thought for a while and threw his bag over his shoulder, heading toward the bathroom to change. 

 

 

An hour later, Yixing found himself waiting anxiously in a small cafe near Seoul's train station. He rested his chin atop his open palm and tried to lose himself in the sounds around him - the faint noises of trains whizzing past, the waitresses bustling through tables, the customers placing orders and chattering, the calm sounds of coffee beans being put into the maker, the even more calm sounds of hot coffee being poured into white mugs... the clanking of cutlery as people had their light breaks, the rustling of someone's newspaper as they turned the page...

The front door opened, causing the small bell on top to jingle merrily. Yixing's heart beat faster with anxiety as he craned his neck, only to catch Junmyeon searching for him. He raised his hand - Junmyeon's eyes perked up in recognition and he made his way through to the booth conveniently at the back of the cafe. Yixing let his eyes scan his date approaching him - Junmyeon was clad in a white V-neck and blue ripped jeans. His feet were snug in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter