MIA - XiuChen

Falling in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



The cafeteria was buzzing with the usual din of high-schoolers chattering away. Here, a group of girls gossipping about a new couple. There, a group of boys having a heated discussion about the previous night's soccer match. A little far off, a couple in their own world. There were replicas as such all over the place, it was nothing new.

Two boys were whispering to one another, often gazing at a certain boy with high cheekbones and curly brown hair standing in the next line up ahead.


'Go for it, Minseok!' the taller male encouraged, almost shoving his friend out of the lunch line.
'No!' Minseok hissed. 'Are you crazy? Kim Jongdae would think I'm a freak, at this rate!'


Kim Jongdae, the subject of their hushed conversation, was a student of music and also the love interest of a certain Kim Minseok.
Kim Minseok - just a regular student who hoped for nothing but for the day to pass quietly without any hassles. He'd started hoping for the same especially after meeting Kim Jongdae by chance at the music room two months ago.


It was a stereotypical meeting - Minseok had walked in on Jongdae singing, and Jongdae had walked in on Minseok singing and dancing the next day. They'd exchanged compliments and Minseok had made it a point to hide behind the door and eavesdrop on the younger student singing every day ever since.

Unbeknownst to him, Jongdae had been doing the same to sneak a peek at Minseok. Wu Yifan, Minseok's best friend and also the captain of the basketball team, knew this but chose not to reveal this tidbit as he wanted things to unfold naturally - he swore to hold his tongue in spite of Minseok's nervousness making him want to scream with frustration.




'Freak? Sure,' Yifan scoffed, beginning to fill his tray with food once he realized that they were at the front of the line. Minseok shook his head and headed toward their usual table, halting in his tracks when he saw Jongdae hail him from his seat. Yifan glided past his shorter friend and walked over to Jongdae, talking to him for a bit before pulling Minseok out of his trance.
'I... y-you---'
'He was asking me if I was free to tutor Zitao, you blithering idiot,' Yifan poked Minseok's forehead fondly. 'Zitao was absent today, which is why Jongdae asked in his place.'
'O-Oh...' Minseok exclaimed, shoulders visibly deflating. Yifan sighed.
'Why don't you go talk to him, hm?'
To which the short male shook his head fervently and Yifan let out another sigh.


























































The duo were walking to Yifan's locker at the end of the school day, engaged in a discussion about atheism.
'Hey! Just in time!' came a chirpy voice, interrupting their conversation. Minseok perked up at the voice and looked in front - lo and behold! There stood Kim Jongdae, leaning against Yifan's locker in all his glory. The tallest of the three waved to Jongdae, motioning for him to step aside and allow him to open his locker.

'Minseok-hyung! Hi!' Jongdae grinned, his greeting reciprocated with a gummy smile from the older male.
'Ready to go?'
Yifan took what he needed, stuffing them into his bag and nodding.



















The trio waited at the bus stop patiently, getting into the same bus - Minseok and Zitao apparently lived in the same area. Minseok sat beside his best friend, ignoring his teasing jabs and occasionally glancing at Jongdae, who was seated in front of them and was listening to music. Seven stops later, they got off and walked two blocks ahead.

 

 

 

 



'Well, here we are,' Jongdae announced, looking up at Yifan.
'Have fun.'
'Thanks for leading the way! Minseok, will you...?' Yifan raised an eyebrow, silently communicating with the shortest of them. Minseok nodded and gave him a small smile.

'So...' he started once Yifan had gone up the stairs leading to Zitao's apartment.
'W-Would you like to go get some ice-cream, hyung?'
'Wha--- sure!' Minseok all but squeaked, slightly red in the face as Jongdae laughed.

'Let's go! I know this cool Baskin Robbins parlour down the corner,' the younger of the two said, casually throwing his arm around Minseok's shoulders as they walked. Jongdae frowned a little as he felt Minseok stiffen at the contact, slowly retreating his arm after a few minutes. Minseok whined almost inaudibly in the back of his throat, mourning the loss of warmth and close proximity with his crush. They soon reached the air-conditioned parlour, taking a deep breath and relishing the slight smell of chocolate wafting through the air.

'What would you like, hyung?' Jongdae asked, stepping up to the counter and looking up at the flavour-board. Minseok hummed thoughtfully, his eyes lighting up once he'd made his mind up.
'Coffee flavoured ice cream, please.'
Jongdae nodded, ordering a Rocky Road for himself. He paid for both the scoops and headed for a table by the window. Minseok frowned and followed him.

'You didn't have to pay for both of us, you know,' he started.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter