Falling in Love - SuLay

Falling in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


It was just another cafe slowly filling up with lazy customers on a Sunday afternoon - people trying to keep up appointments, whiling away time, maybe even waiting for a companion to chill out with. 

 

The faint noises of trains whizzing through Seoul's train station resonated in the small cafe, providing a constant hum in the background. Waitresses clad in stereotypical black-and-white uniforms bustled through tables with small notepads, attatched-pens, their skirts rustling gently as they scurried around. Customers placed their orders nonchalantly and continued chatting or skimming through messages, not even sparing the waitresses a glance of acknowledgement. The calm sounds of coffee beans being put into the maker, accompanied by the even calmer sounds of hot coffee being poured into white mugs built up to a crescendo, closely followed by the drink's infamously intoxicating smell. The light clanks of cutlery as people relished their simple yet lavish food set in a comfortable atmosphere, polished by the warm colours of the cafe emitting a home-sweet cozy effect. 

 

Zhang Yixing sighed as his ears perked up to yet another customer's newspaper rustling as they turned pages. He rested his chin atop his open palm and closed his eyes, soothing his soul with the simple music surrounding him. Faint yet distinct, he could lose himself in the jazz rendition of Kim Hyunsik's 'Like Rain, Like Music'. The musical jingle of a small bell caught his attention yet again as someone entered the cafe. Yixing peered through his eyelashes at the newcomer through a large wall-mirror and his eyes flew open in an instant - it was him. He'd finally come. 

 

He craned his neck, his heart beating faster with anxiety as the man of the evening searched for him. Yixing slowly raised his hand, successfully catching said male's attention. The man's eyes perked up with recognition and he made his way through to the booth, which was conveniently tucked away at the back. Yixing let his eyes scan his approaching date - the man was clad in a white V-neck and blue ripped jeans. His feet were snug in black sneakers that slid across the floor, dodging others' shuffling feet. A silver Rolex adorned his left wrist - 'He must be really well-to-do,' Yixing mused. The other tumbled into his seat and he balanced himself, grinning sheepishly in apology. 

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting?"

"No, not at all! I was early..."

They lapsed into an awkward silence. Yixing found himself mesmerized by the other's black hair that was tousled by the gentle yet firm gusts of wind that blew through the streets all afternoon - it looked somewhat messy, but in an attractive way. He coughed and blinked when the other caught him staring. 

"Would you like to place an order?" he smiled, his eyes sparkling a little. 

"Oh, sure," Yixing smiled nervously. A waitress was hailed and a house-special for two was placed. Yixing raised his eyebrows questioningly. 

"You said it's your first time coming here... you said this over text a week ago? So I thought I'd order what's pretty famous."

"... You come here often?"

"Oh? Yes, with classmates after University."

Yixing nodded and they reverted to looking around with fake interest, both of them obviously internally panicking. Yixing his lower lip nervously and played with his fingers - this first date was definitely not going well. 

"So, tell me about yourself!"

"Uh... Well... my name is Zhang Yixing. I'm a Chinese... I'm studying Music at the Seoul University for Arts. I do voluntary work at the Seoul Child Orphanage every week and... yeah..."

"Cool," the other whistled, making Yixing's stomach do a flip. 

"I'm Kim Junmyeon, Korean turning twenty one next month. I'm a trainee lawyer at the Seoul University's Law sector. I love music, too!" he smiled cutely. The corners of Yixing's lips twitched. 

"You're so pretty," he muttered, sudddenly self-conscious. Junmyeon looked like a milky-white model while he was comparatively a cactus. Yixing squinted his eyes shut and groaned - Junmyeon was way up above! There's him, then there's Yixing - a dark red shirt hidden under a navy blue sweatshirt, put together with some black jeans and a pair of white convos. Unfortunately for him, Junmyeon heard his words. 

"Ah, thanks," he laughed awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. Unconsciously, he stared absent-mindedly at Yixing's bowed head and hummed along to the song playing in the cafe. He then softly sang under his breath. Yixing mustered some courage and looked up. 

"You sing, too? You have a nice voice."

"Ah, not really. I mean, I do but I don't... like, I'm not sure? Ah, this is so confusing to explain," Junmyeon ranted. Yixing let out a small smile and hummed along. Slowly, they sung along to the recording and harmonized. Yixing closed his eyes and sung passionately, his voice sounding unearthly to Junmyeon's ears, almost like water gently caressing pebbles on a beach basking in clouded moonlight. Junmyeon's lips curled up into a smile as he sang, his voice slowly fading out to Yixing's. The Chinese opened his eyes and pouted. 

"Ah, sorry, I got carried away," he awkwardly grinned when he realized Junmyeon had stopped singing. 

"No, I like it," the male smiled against his wrist. 

They locked gazes and stared deep into each other's eyes, completely lost in the moment. Rather, both were well aware and squirmy, but refused to break contant for fear of facing embarrassment first. A waitress placing their French chocolate mousse and mega-cuddle cups of hot chocolate before them, broke them out of their reverie. Yixing stretched his lips in nervous exercise and burnt his tongue on the drink in a hasty attempt to hide his blush. 

"Oh my God, Yixing, you can't just gulp it all down!" Junmyeon chastised and cleaned the other's chocolate-covered chin with a tissue. Yixing sipped some water to soothe the pain and mentally face-palmed himself. The tips of Junmyeon's fingers ghosted over his lips, almost poking through the frail tissue. Yixing held his breath and dared not move. Junmyeon shrunk his arm back and scratched his nose. 

"Well... let's eat!"

 

 

The cafe started their half-hour musical quiz, c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter