Where am I

The Beginning of All

Pitch black.

As I opened my eyes from my slumber, all I could see was nothing. Only dark, black spaces enveloped me into its immortality. I held my hand to my head, feeling dizzy as I tried to sit from the uneven ground I was laying. And a sudden gush of wind hitting my skin, the coldness it brought creeping inside of my bones, shuddering down my spine. I could hear the sound of dripping water echoing near, making uniform noises much like heartbeats. And the smell of stale air permeating throughout the area, seeping through my nose till it reach my lungs. I clench my nose in response, annoyed.

 

Princess, hide here. The sacred mark will protect you”

 

“Where are Father and Mother?”

 

“The enemies broke the main gate!”

 

“We’re outnumbered!”

 

“Stay safe Mina, we love you my daughter.”

 

“I love you Princess, please stay safe.”

 

“They’re coming!! Prepare for combat!!!”

 

“Father!!! Mother!!!! Jeongyeon!!!”

 

 

Ugghhhhh… I winced and grabbed my head tight for the sudden pain. The surged of memories kept coming and stung me.

 

Where am I?

What happened to the castle? Who attacked us?

What about Father and Mother? And Jeongyeon?

And the townspeople?

How many soldiers did we lost?

 

The numerous questions keeps piling up inside the back of my mind. My breathing started turning into an irregular, fast breath. I held my chest tight, clenching on my white garment which now tainted by debris and dust surrounded me. And the sudden realization hit me.

‘Is the war not over yet? ’

If so, I need to hurry and assist everyone. I can’t let the castle downed and the city burned. I MUST protect my subjects.

 

My vision started to adjust itself to the darkness. My breath slowed down and I could see a tiny gleam of light coming out half a mile in front of me. I mumble some magic words under my foggy breath, praying the tiny energy I had preserved would be enough to light my way.

“Light”, I uttered weakly, almost like a whisper. And the flame started to form on my left palm. The fire was weak, almost died down, but it was there.

 

I pulled up my numb feet slowly, trying to stand properly. My right hand moving side to side till a concrete hit it. A wall!

I tried to examine the now dimly lighted place. Rough, bumpy, stone walls beside me, enough space for me to stretch out my arms. The top of the walls arched forming a shape of a dome on top of me from there where stack of stalactites hanging and the water dripping down forming a small ripple beneath my feet. In front of me stood piles of stalagmites, protruding from the stone floor.

Again, a gush of wind running into my way, shivering me and fluttering my flame.

I took a deep breath, inhaling the musty odor. And let out a long sigh.

 

My hand started trailing the jagged wall as a guide for my move. I gathered all of my strength, my pupils dilated to absorb more light, and I hauled myself into my feet, steadying it.

“One step at a time Mina. You can do it” I muttered as if encouraging myself.

 

 

As I ventured further, my steps got lighter. I could feel my once heavy, weary steps had now adjusted to my tempo and my surroundings. My hand would jammed the fissured wall for handhold as I paced my step. And my ears sensor sharpened. I could hear the water dripping here and there and the sound of something whirring nearby. I could hear the sound of my stomach rumbling louder inside pinching my gut mix with the echo of my footsteps. And the crackling of the flame I created, it got smaller by the time I almost reached my destination.

 

There was a sign. Inscribed into a single yellow tap in front of the cave mouth from where I saw a set of steps, spiraling to the top where the source of the light came out. The sign read:

 

“ Do not cross “

 

I ripped off the tap and walk into the narrow passage of the threshold. By this time, the small friend of my palm had nearly died down. It flickered a couple of times before it finally disappeared into vanity.

I blew out another sigh. The cold air hitting my bared skin as if it was mocking me. Clenching my hand tighter, I kept walking in my unwavering resolute stance. My eyes was fixated to my goal. The exit.

‘I almost there.’ I kept repeating inside of my brain.

 

The stairs was well-made. The step was even and there was a handrail which I gripped tightly with my two hands, not wanting to slip myself from the damp floor. I gritted my teeth and kept watching of my surroundings, being wary.

As I kept climbing, the dim light turned brighter and I could see the exit mouth a few steps away from me. I was elated but at the same time trembling from the anticipation of something bigger. My heart racing and I could feel my clammy, sweaty hands being brushed by the cold handrail.

There was a noise, much like people chattering among each other. I froze, stopping my legs in the middle of my quest.

 

‘Who?’

‘Friends or foes?’

 

I wrecked the inside of my brain and rummaged the inside of my pockets in frustration and found a green crystal bottle. An elixir. The last bottle I had. This would be enough to restore my energy and power. But I have to use it wisely. Not now. Not here. Let’s find out the situation outside and make plans.

 

I gulped once.

Then twice, before I finally soared my feet through the remaining stairs. The last step and I would be there.

I saw another yellow sign blocking my way. Read:

 

‘Do not cross. Staff only’.

 

This time I decided to duck over the sign, not wanting to draw any attention.

I scanned my surroundings, hand in pocket, gripping the elixir in case of emergency. I walked a small step at a time, pupils started to contract and my heartbeat sounded faster and louder like a drum. Cold perspiration running down my forehead despite the cold air.

The same old pattern. The same wall stone. The same stalagmites and stalactites, and –

!!!!!!

!!!!!!

I halted my footfalls. Froze for the second time. Jaw dropping and my grip loosen. I shifted my sight side to side around me. My body started to tremble not from the horror but in wonderstruck.

Millions of millions of iridescent lighting illuminated the space, the wall, the top of the cave as if they were millions of fireflies flying, flickering its light. It was so bright it blinding me for a second. My racing heart skyrocket. No words could escape from my mouth. It was….. magical.

 

What kind of sorcery is this?

How much power do the person need to enact to make this huge fantasy?

 

I found myself trailing through the enchanted light, still in awe of the various shaped of source of the light. Some were square, some were oval, and some configured themselves into irregular shapes. Nonetheless, all were stunningly beautiful. As if I was in a different universe. As if I was living in a dream.

I saw people walking by. All of them seemed to have a company of one or two people with them. There were two things I noticed after walking in this magical cave for some times. First, all of the residents here wore these weirdly looking garments which I never saw before. The texture was different and the garment shaped itself into numerous odd styles, some were long and some were short. Some printed with different kind of floral on it and some were just random character of words. Even their shoes were different from where I came from. I couldn’t seemed to comprehend their culture. And the second thing which ticked me off since a while ago was that everyone who I passed by would look at me weirdly. Some were laughing, some whispering, and some were just gazing at me quietly. It put me unease. Don’t they know who I am?

 

My feet kept dragging me around until a true horror haunted me.

I saw a dragon.

It was not as big as what I ever saw before when I was a kid but it was still a dragon with the fangs, and the big green scales over its body and the eyes were looking straight into mine. I turned my gaze in panic. Wondering why nobody reacted, I contemplated on using my last resort, the elixir.

No no no no. This is my last resort, I can’t use it now!

So I started running. And running. I didn’t know how long nor how far I ran until I bumped into something… or someone. My weak body fell down in an instant.

 

“Oh hi, sorry. I didn’t see you coming.” He extended his hand, trying to help me stand. He was not that tall, but well - built if I might say and his shoulders were broad. His short brownish hair looked so soft and his black eyes were big and round and mesmerizing.

“Dragon! There was a dragon. You have to run!” I half shouted.

“Oh yeah. The dragon was there right? Wasn’t it awesome?” He said calmly, not showing any sign of fear nor terror.

“What?” I asked, incredulously.

“What?” He asked back at me almost instantly.

“There was a dragon” I repeated, this time calmer.

“Yup! It felt so real right? Like it could fly or spit a fire breath at any moment.”

“What?” I asked, this time more eagerly.

“Hm? What? What?”

“The dragon was not real?” I yelled in high pitched.

He looked at me in confusion. The tips of his lips started curling before he burst into a loud laughter.

“Of course it is not. Who would thought it is? You’re funny. Hahahha..” He paused his laugh for a minute before making a serious face as if he came into a realization. “Wait. Did you? Really?”

I nodded silently in embarrassment, hiding my reddened cheeks. I was waiting for another series of laughter but the boy in front of me looked at me and smile amusingly at me.

“Umm.. can you tell me where are we? And what year is this?”

“Of course! I thought you must been through something horrifying or knocked your head really hard to be disoriented but I’ll tell you-“ I gave him a dagger stare which silence him for a moment. This man is annoying. Like super annoying. And I could see him giggled a bit afterwards. What was his problem?

“Sorry, sorry. But we are in Gwangmyeong Cave, a little bit outside of Seoul and today is 15th March 2020.”

“Seoul? 2020? But how? I was in my castle.. and there was a war.. and… is this some kind of a parallel world? But how I - “

 

*Grooowwwlllllll*

 

I pressed my stomach quickly. Why now? Not in front of him again. This is really embarrassing. Can’t you hold it a little bit more, stomach? But I am really hungry now no doubt. I haven’t had anything else since dawn.

“Here” the man said, encircling his jacket around my bare shoulder. Maybe he noticed my skin was shivering from the cold because the garment I wore was thin and tore in a couple of places.

I saw him taking his backpack and rummaging the inside of it, trying to find something. I stood there the whole time, tugging the jacket tightly, watching him till he took out a packet of something, on it written: Choco Pie.

 

“Actually this is supposed to be Dahyun’s but I lost him and Tzuyu on my way. He would definitely kill me if he knew his choco pie were gone. But I think… sharing is caring?” he smiled at me and shove the biscuit to me which I accepted gladly. I was really hungry.

He watch me gobbled the pie amusingly which I admitted was not-so-ladylike. But what could I do? For my stomach already calling for me to succumb.

“Eat slowly” he giggle.

“I still have some if you want. And water too.”

“Oh, and I haven’t introduced myself. My name is Chaeyoung. Son Chaeyoung.” He grinned, extending his hand to me for a shake.

 

I looked at his hand and his face back and forth contemplating whether to take it or not which he responded with a bigger smile. In a normal situation, this guy would instantly be apprehended and received a sentence for his action trying to approach a royal family. But something in his eyes soften me….and drawn me. I was curious what it was. Besides, he gave a pie and a jacket. I need to reward him.

So I decided to reciprocate his action.

I extended my hand, took his surprisingly warm hand and smiled.

 

“Mina. Myoui Mina.”

.

.

.

.

.

And that was how we met.

 

Fin~

 

P.S. Get well soon Chaeyoung. Take care TWICE. Health is number one priority.

We love you small cub. 💜 💕