Does No One Have Eyes?

How 21 Students Saved the World

“He still refuses to attend group sessions,” the therapist told Soonyoung, “but he’s improved on how to distract himself. He mentioned… trying to learn French?” 

 

Soonyoung nodded. “Yeah, he found a website where they teach it, Mango languages, and he also likes to spend his time working on this connect-the-dots book.”

 

“I also recommend he takes up a sport,” the therapist said. “It seems like he has a lot of built-up anger and he needs to find a healthy way to release it.”

 

Soonyoung looked over to where Jihoon was sitting in the living, staring at the ground while he swung his legs back and forth. He always got like this after therapy.

 

“I’ll see what we can do,” Soonyoung said. 

 

Soonyoung said goodbye to the therapist and called over for Jihoon to leave. They still had to get some bagel bites, after all. 

 

The two of them were going to have to work overtime the next few days, Soonyoung had noticed, based on what was going on in the office. This was going to be their last normal day where they could lounge around together, doing useless like they always did. 

 

Soonyoung spent so much time at Jihoon’s house and the other vice versa that it made sense for them to just live together at this point. However, Jihoon had asked him long ago and Soonyoung had ed up, and-

 

They never really talked about the incident about a year ago, right when Soonyoung was being a massive to Jihoon. But the only thing that mattered was that Jihoon was here now, safe and cared for. 

 

Soonyoung didn’t say anything until they got in the car, waiting for JIhoon to put on his seatbelt before he started the car. “So, how did today go?”

 

Jihoon shrugged. “Same as always.”

 

“Well, at least it didn’t get worse,” Soonyoung said. “What’s the one positive thing that came out?”

 

“Um… he let me play Mariana and the Diamonds the entire time,” Jihoon admitted. 

 

“Oh no,” Soonyoung said, laughing at his own joke while Jihoon threw punches at him. Jihoon wasn’t really strong, though. “What, you like that song!”

 

“Stop making fun of me.” Jihoon crossed his arms and pouted, refusing to look at Soonyoung. “I don’t make fun of TVXQ.”

 

“I’m not making fun of you, I promise,” Soonyoung said. “Hey, I was thinking of a sport we can do together.”

 

Jihoon turned to look at him. “A sport?”

 

“Kickboxing,” Soonyoung answered. “You can pretend you’re kicking me. You know I need the exercise anyways.”

 

Jihoon laughed. “Only you would allow violence to be inflicted on you.”

 

Soonyoung would have said anything to make you happy when his phone started ringing, interrupting the two of them. 

 

Soonyoung would have let it go to voicemail, but when he took it out of his pocket and say the caller ID, it said Connor, Soonyoung and Sungsoo’s higher up. Why he was calling now at around 7, Soonyoung didn’t know. 

 

He showed the screen to Jihoon. “Why would he be calling so late?”

 

Jihoon looked at the screen and squinted. “Connor? Am I reading this right?”

 

Soonyoung nodded before sliding the button over to answer it. “Hello, Connor, it’s me, Soonyoung.”

 

Jihoon could only hear snippets of the conversation, hearing “really?” “tomorrow?” “for a week?” and he was trying his best to decipher the meaning behind those words.

 

When Soonyoung said goodbye and hung up the phone, Jihoon asked him what the conversation was about. 

 

“We have an emergency meeting tomorrow,” Soonyoung explained. “Me, Sungsoo, and the other department leaders. As for the rest, I can’t tell you right now, but it’ll be revealed tomorrow, trust me.”

 

***

 

“PANCAKES FOR EVERYONE!” Haechan screamed when he walked into the Dream meeting room Tuesday afternoon, lifting said box with the delicacy above his head. 

 

No matter how many times Mark tried to explain to him that it was a breakfast food in America (and Canada, sometimes - Mark was informed of a lot of American customs, no thanks to Johnny), Donghyuck wouldn’t let him have it. Thus, during their movie nights when Mark was having normal desserts like ice cream or that extra slice of cake, Donghyuck would shove a pancake in his mouth. When Mark showed him syrup, Haechan didn’t even drizzle it; he rolled up the pancake like a taco and used the syrup as dipping sauce. 

 

Mark loved it, though, watching Haechan eat pancake after pancake. It was one of the cutest things he has ever seen, right up with Haechan spelling his name and Haechan sleeping. 

 

He promised it wasn’t that creepy. 

 

Mark set down and opened his back pack to take out the plastic plates and forks, along with three types of syrup for the others to pick. “Whatever you guys do, don’t question him. This is what he does for a living.”

 

“Dang, so just throw away our karaoke nights like that, huh?” Donghyuck said, placing the box on the teacher’s desk in front of the room. “Mark, you don’t get a pancake.”

 

“Having pancakes after noon is an atrocity, so no thanks,” Mark commented, getting ignored by the younger ones who were lining up to get pancakes.

 

“Mark and I thought we could use today as a study group day,” Haechan said. “I know I have a lot of work, so if you guys need help, you can ask us, okay?”

 

“Just don’t ask Haechan for help in English,” Mark added. 

 

Donghyuck, who had just gotten a plate and was about to get his chocolate chip pancakes, turned around 180 degrees and squinted at Mark. “Excuseeeeeee moi?” He said in English, or, well-

 

“Haechan, that was French,” Mark said. “Further proving my point.”

 

“Um, what syrup is this?” Jaemin asked, pointing to a thick brown sauce. 

 

“Oh, that’s mexican!” Haechan skipped to where Jaemin was and held up the bottle. “This says cajeta, it means caramel, but not, like, the one on popcorn or ice cream, it’s much thicker,” Haechan explained. “I love it on chocolate chip pancakes.” 

 

“Uh, you’re one of those,” Jisung said. “Anyone liking anything of chocolate. Blueberry is supreme-”

 

Chen Le, who was munching on a chocolate chip pancake, stopped chewing and swallowed before telling Jisung, “you hate chocolate chip pancakes?”

 

“Yeah I do,” Jisung said. “Don’t worry, if I get some, I’ll give them to you-”

 

“Wait, why is this bowl so small?” Renjun said, picking up the tiny dipping bowl next to the syrups. “What is it for?”

 

“Oh, that’s for me,” Donghyuck said. “I pour my syrups in there-”

 

“Reason #5 why you are a maniac,” Mark said. 

 

Donghyuck merely stuck his tongue at him. “You’re just jealous.”

 

“You’re just mad because you’re the only Korean in the world who likes learning French and listening to Marina and the Diamonds.”

 

“So I’m assuming that’s a no to karaoke night tonight?” Haechan said, crossing his arms and pouting. “There went my Tuesday night.”

 

“Wait, karaoke tonight?” Mark said. “I don’t remember that being in our plans.”

 

“It wasn’t, I’m just messing with you, haha, unless?” Hachan said, fluttering his eyelids at the other. 

 

“Now this is what you call flirting,” Renjun whispered to Jeno, who had taken the dipping bowl and was dipping his strawberry pancake in the cajeta. “There’s no way Mark will pass up an opportunity to see Haechan dance.”

 

“You’re so smart, Renjun,” Jeno said, while the three of them (Jaemin included) were watching Mark say a stumbling yes. “You’re, like, the love expert.”

 

“Nah, I just watch too much kdramas. Watching these two is so much better than doing any actual studying.”

 

***
 

“So Ten and I last night had a long discussion about you,” Johnny told Jaehyun later.

 

“So you and your boyfriend talk about me after ? I’m flattered,” Jaehyun said. 

 

“Hey, you know we’re both s!” Johnny screeched. “We were watching Harry Potter and started guessing which houses we would be.”

 

“Why do people always go to that topic when talking about Harry Potter?” Jaehyun asked. 

 

“I don’t know, but anyways, we were sensing you and Taeyong getting closer, hmmm?” Johnny starting winking at Jaehyun. “Wonder when you’ll officially ask him out.”

 

Jaehyun sighed. “I’ve been talking to him for a week, Johnny, give me time,” Jaehyun pleaded. “Why are you so desperate that we get together so soon?”

 

“Because Ten wants to go on a double date, why else?” Johnny said.

 

Jaehyun gave him a look. “Really? That’s why?”

 

“No, I just want to see you happy,” Johnny said. “You just have to show him your interest through the little things. Offer to take him home. Give him a little gift. If he has a problem, let him rant to you. He’ll appreciate it, and even if he doesn’t want to date you, he will really be glad to have you as a friend. 

 

“Jaehyun nodded at his friends words. “You know what? You’re right for once.”

 

“Of course I-wait, what?”

***

 

Haechan was at his house, again, like always, setting up the microphone set while Mark searched for the television remote .

 

“I love love LOVE karaoke~” Haechan sang out loud. “I’ve been practicing the English songs in the shower!”

 

Mark shook his head. Haechan only knew 5 English songs that he could sort-of sing along to, but of course it was karaoke - they did this for fun. Donghyuck, however, had the most beautiful singing voice Mark has ever heard, even better than Ukiss. Which meant something for Mark. 

 

“Haechan, are you planning on taking an English class in college?” Mark asked. “Just curious.”

 

Donghyuck tapped his chin as if to indicate that he was thinking. “Maybe. I know I at it, but…” he shrugged. “I want to at least understand it.”

 

“You don’t at it!” Mark shouted. “You’re just learning, of course it’s common to make mistakes.”

 

Donghyuck shook his head. “You guys wouldn’t make fun of me if I didn’t at it.”

 

“I-well, it’s a joke, Haechan,” Mark tried to explain. “It doesn’t mean anything.”

 

Haechan sigh. “Don’t worry about it- hey, so, I have a question about the Ukiss videos.”

 

Mark could tell Haechan didn’t want to talk about the issue, so he let it slide for now. It wasn’t like his friend to abruptly change a topic. “Go ahead.”

 

Haechan went to sit back at the couch with Mark, who was messing around with the remote. “Why do they always list each MV as full MV or color MV? If it’s like 3 or 4 minutes we know it’s the full MV and we can see if it has color or not.”

 

“Well, that’s just Ukiss,” Mark explained to him. “I think they have only one of the original members left.”

 

“I hate groups who go through different members.” Haechan shook his head. “So confusing.”

 

“Excuse me?” Mark got up from the couch, ready to throw hands at his best friend, the reason for his existence, the true definition of love. “I know all 10 people who participated in Ukiss.”

 

“That’s too much,” Donghyuck added. “It would be cool to be in a band though.”

 

“Yeah, imagine if we were in one, named…. I don’t know, after school, NCT?” Mark said. “Maybe we never lose members, we just add.”

 

“I would love to be in a band.” Haechan grabbed the microphone from the set and got on the couch, standing up on it. “Come on, Mark, you have to get in the mood.”

 

Mark waved him away. “I’m fine, don’t worry. So, I’m assuming we’re starting with-”

 

“MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS!” Donghyuck pumped his fist in the air, changing his balance on his feet over and over. “Let’s get this bread!” He said in English.

 

“Out of all the English slang you could have memorized,” Mark said, but used the remote to put the song “Oh No!” on the television. 

 

“YESSSS!” Haechan shouted during the intro until the lines finally came on screen, which he didn’t even need. “Don’t do love, don’t do friends, I’m only after success.”

 

Mark would be heartbroken if Haechan actually meant that, but Donghyuck didn’t know the translation, even though Mark had explained it to him many times. Maybe he could write it out for his friend, he thought, yeah, Haechan would gladly appreciate it. 

 

“Don’t want cash! Don’t want car! Want it fast! Want it hard!” Haechan always ended each sentence with an exclamation, one of the cutest things Mark has ever seen. 

 

His favorite part, though, was the chorus. Haechan always did a dramatic jump of the couch to the ground and would start dancing to the beat, to which Mark always, always recorded it. 

 

Haechan never understood why Mark wouldn’t dance along with him, but it’s because Mark loved to see his friend dance, the way Haechan’s eyes would gleam, the way his body moved-

 

Okay, he need to stay out of that territory. 

 

“I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANT AND WHO I WANT TO BE! I KNOW EXACTLY WHY I WALK AND TALK LIKE A MACHINE-Mark! You have to say the OH NO part!” Haechan turned to look at Mark, who already had his phone out. “Are you going to blackmail me again?”

 

“No I’m not-” he wanted to argue, but then the two of them shouted, “Oh! Oh No! Oh No! Oh no oh~”

 

Mark let Haechan do the rest of the song, watching him do his quirky dances over and over-Donghyuck was that body roll really necessary?

 

When the song finished, Donghyuck threw the microphone onto the couch next to Mark. “It’s your turn now!”

 

“Nah, I’m fine,” Mark said. When he saw Haechan give him a squint, though, he got up. “Fine, it’s not in English though.”

 

“Mark, I speak Korean, I can handle it,” Haechan rolled his eyes at his dumb best friend. “I know my English was too good for me to not be a fluent speaker. 

 

“Your English was actually really good, though,” Mark said, typing in Glam’s “I Like That” on the TV. “You have been practicing.”

 

“Duh, I never lie,” Haechan said. He fluttered his eyelashes at Haechan. “I’m the best and you know it.”

 

When the song started playing on the screen, Mark started to sing along to it in Korean. 

 

“When I’m sitting alone at a BBQ restaurant, and ordering a 2 person meal and cooking the meat by myself-”

 

“This song is making me hungry,” Haechan admitted.

 

“Come dance with me, you punk!” Mark grabbed Haechan’s wrist out of habit and pulled him closer to him, until their noses bumped into each other. 

 

They stared at each other with wide eyes, confused on what happened, the song slowly playing in the background. Mark was going to say something when the song said-

 

“Fell in love and break up, sometimes crying, smiling or just living life-”

 

“This song is sad,” Haechan said, pulling away from Mark. “Put a happier one, XXO, I like that one.”

 

Mark slowly got out of shock, reaching for the remote to put Party, the lyrics slowly filling the room. 

 

“Nanananananana-”

 

“Thank you,” Haechan said, before grabbing Mark’s hands and moving them. “I love dancing.”

 

I love you. “Me too.”

 

***

 

Next day in Korean history, Kun told him about WayV’s meeting today. 

 

“I’m thinking to hold something Friday,” Kun said. “Hold a Chinese movie night. Have you seen Sixteen?”

 

Xiaojun shook his head. “Not that I recall.”

 

“Well, I saw it, and I think you would like it,” Kun said. He grabbed his backpack and ped it, pulling out a DVD with two guys and a girl on the front. “It had Hangeng and Kris Wu, it’s really good, you should watch.” He handed the DVD to Xiaojun. 

 

“Oh, I can’t take this,” Xiaojun said.

 

Kun shrugged. “You can borrow it and return it anytime, if you want. Please, I have to talk to someone about it but I don’t want to spoil it.”

 

Xiaojun gave him a short nod, slowly taking the dvd from Kun. “I’ll watch it tonight. Wait, what movie do you have planned for Friday?”

 

Kun took out another DVD from his backpack. “The Love O2O movie. I’ve only seen the drama, never the movie, so I thought we can all watch it together.”

 

“I love the drama!” Xiaojun exclaimed. “Remember when Bei Wei Wei’s friend ruined that camera? Highlight of my day.”

 

“The couple was really cute,” Kun agreed. “Do you think people will be down to watch it?”

 

Xiaojun nodded. “Absolutely.”
 

***

 

Early Wednesday morning, Soonyoung and the other departmental leaders had a meeting.

 

Long story short, they were going to send Soonyoung and two of his workers to Korea to work at an agency there for investigation, which helped since Soonyoung spoke Korean and they wouldn’t need to hire a translator.

 

The problem was, Soonyoung didn’t want to leave Jihoon in America. He needed to keep an eye out for his friend, what if Jihoon-

 

He had to figure out a way for Jihoon to come with him. 

 

When the meeting finished and everyone was leaving, Soonyoung went up to Connor and told him his dilemma. 

 

“Sir, I know you said I can pick two people from my department, but is there anyway I can bring Jihoon with me instead?”

 

Connor looked at him all weird. “Jihoon’s done a lot of work and we need him here-”

 

“Like you guys are going to give him any credit,” Soonyoung argued. He knew he had no right to argue with a higher up but he didn’t give a damn anymore. “I have evidence on how he solved the meteor problem a few weeks back and you guys didn’t list him. And there’s a lot more where that came from.” He took out a USB from his pocket and waved it. “It’s all in here. And yes, I have copies, you guys will never be able to erase it.”

 

Connor sigh. “Send the two works to work in Sungsoo’s department for now. As for Jihoon and you, we’re sending you guys to South Korea tonight at 9:00 pm, Michael will give you guys information about your flight, and you know the rest.” Connor walked away, mumbling to himself, probably talking about Soonyoung but-

 

Who cares? Soonyoung and Jihoon were going to South Korea!

 

Soonyoung had been there two times, both times when his adopted parents took him there since, even though he is from Korean descent, having been born and become an orphan in the US, his parents wanted him to at least have that memory. Jihoon has never been; he never got adopted and he has a ton of loans to pay off from his university schooling, and no matter how much Soonyoung offered to help him out, Jihoon refused. 

 

Now he just had to tell his friend the news.