Confusion

How 21 Students Saved the World

Of course his alarm had to go off on Saturday, he must have forgotten to turn it off again. 

 

Mark grabbed his phone nearby the nightstand and pressed on it five times, desperately trying to hit the snooze button. 

 

“Peace and quiet,” he muttered to himself, pulling the blanket closer to his chest. 

 

“MARKKKKKKKKK!” Haechan slammed the door opened and set his bag down on the study, already kicking off his shoes. “I’m so excited to- what the heck? Mark, why are you asleep?”

 

Why was Donghyuck here? It wasn’t a school day. Or was it? Hold on, Monday was the 127 unit meeting, Tuesday they had the Dream unit meeting, Wednesday…..what did he do Wednesday? Was today Wednesday?

 

“, I’m going to be late for school!” Mark screeched, throwing his covers off him and tried to find his pants since he was only wearing boxers again-

 

, Donghyuck was in the room again!

 

Haechan only gave him a look. “What do you mean today is Wednesday? Today’s Saturday, dummy.”

 

Mark had his jeans halfway on and stopped, giving Haechan a look. “Then why did you wake me up?”

 

“Okay, first of all, you texted me last night that you were going to set an alarm at 10.” Donghyuck explained. “And it’s ten, I thought you were already awake, sorry to wake you, by the way.”

 

Mark shrugged. “At least we have no school today-wait, what are we doing today again? Sorry, I haven’t had my coffee yet.”

 

Haechan pouted. “For the last time, Mark, I told you that you really need to start cutting down your caffeine habits, you’re not even a senior yet.” He opened his bag that he had thrown on the study and took out some boxes. “And I didn’t tell you why I was coming, only to expect me.”

 

“But whyyyyy ,” Mark drawled out, eyes half closed. “I want to sleep.”

 

“You didn’t sleep at 2am, didn’t you,” Haechan said, setting the boxes down to put his hands on his hips ready to scold his friend. “See, this is why you always need coffee! You don’t have a good sleep schedule.”

 

“Haechan, even if you sleep over, you won’t be able to make me go to sleep,” Mark said. He got on his bed and sat down, still holding on to the jeans that had one of his feet in. “I’ll just wait till you’re asleep and then get on my phone.”

 

“Fine, because now I’m sleeping over today,” Haechan said. “And do you want to open your presents or not?”

 

That made Mark sit up straight. He looked over to where Haechan had set the boxes; what could possibly be in there? “Haechan, why did you get me presents, it’s not like it’s my birthday or anything?”

 

Haechan grabbed them off the floor and sighed. “Mark, you literally gave me bracelets yesterday, and no, I’ve had this gift planned since last week, I didn’t copy you. And maybeeeeee….” Haechan put the big boxes on Mark’s bed and took out an envelope from his jacket. “If you read the card I wrote you’ll understand.”

 

Mark sat back down on the bed, forgetting for a minute that he still had only boxers on. He grabbed the envelope and wanted to laugh; it was red but Haechan had hand drawn a bunch of random symbols on it; a balloon, congratulations! In english (spelled correctly, Mark noticed), stars everyone-

 

A heart. 

 

Mark opened the envelope and pulled out the card; it wasn’t the type of ones you buy from the store, no, this was also handmade. Haechan had folded a piece of cream-colored cardstock and had drawn a handful of stars on the front with Congratulations! again in big bold letters. Donghyuck had a really steady hand, compared to Mark who couldn’t sit still most of the time. And panicky. Yeah, Mark was always panicking. 

 

He opened the card and the entire two sides were filled with Korean writing. This was a long letter, and Mark bet ten bucks he was going to cry by the end of it. 

 

Usually he never read cards aloud, so they sat there for a good minute in silence as Mark read the letter. 

 

Dear Mark, 

 

I’m so happy that you have finally been able to create the Dream Unit here at school! I know you’ve been trying for two whole years and, even though you won’t be getting help like freshman and sophomores, it’s nice that you still wanted that opportunity for other people. Last year you also did so much work in your committee as well, you put so much effort into that. The way you’re always caring for people tears my heart so much, the way you’re so understanding, so compassionate, how you can always lend a shoulder for someone to cry on. You’re so a good person, a good classmate, an amazing friend, and I’m proud to call you my best friend. 

 

-Haechan

 

He could feel a tear dripping down his face and he couldn’t handle looking at Donghyuck. “Haechan-”

 

“Don’t deny any of it,” Haechan said, laying out the boxes in a nice formation on Mark’s bed. “I know what you’re going to say that it’s not true, that you’re not a good person, all lies by the way, now open the boxes!”

 

Mark grabbed his blanket and tried to dry his face before grabbing the biggest box. They were all a bit flat, but still pretty thick. He took off the tape and opened it for it to reveal-

 

“Oh my gosh, you got the police station Lego set!” Mark yelled, jumping out of the bed clutching the box to his chest. “My lego collection will be complete !!!”

 

Mark, indeed, has a lego collection that has started since he turned 10 years old (already friends with Haechan, he should add.) He has two large kitchen tables in the basement specifically for his legos, collecting from Lego City to Star Wars to Ninjago and everything in between.

 

The basement was pretty cool, unlike those in horror movies. It was almost like a second house, with a huge couch that spanned the entire area of the living room, with a giant television with three different gaming consoles. There was a small kitchen with snacks stacked up, and the free space was the kitchen tables that was already running out of room. Mark was going to have to save up more money. 

 

“Mark, it’s not the only one I got you, and we have all day to build them.” Haechan took out his flip flops from his bag, not liking to walk around barefoot. “Open the others and decide which one you want to build first, also, I think you’re going to need another table soon.”

 

Mark scrambled to grab the other boxes and was already out the door when he realized he didn’t have any jeans on. “ !” he screamed, going back to where his jeans were and throwing the boxes on his bed before putting them on. “The second time in a row!”

 

Donghyuck laughed and picked up the boxes when Mark went to put on a shirt. “Mark, it’s hot outside, of course you’re going to be !”

---

 

He was on his bed when he heard a ping. 

 

Taeyong was on his bed, wearing his normal white tanktop and boyshorts, watching some Korean drama on TV. He always got up at 7 am everyday, so after waking up and eating breakfast, he had already been watching TV for an hour. He hadn’t touched his phone for a while, so when he heard it make a sound, he was almost startled. 

 

He put down his cup of homemade raw cookie dough that he had been eating (beat that, Lucas) and picked up the phone. It was a message from Jaehyun. 

 

Hey

 

That’s all it said, hey. Frowning, Taeyong opened up the message app and replied back. 

 

hey to you too 

 

He paused the drama that was showing on the television to focus on his phone. Jaehyun always replied quickly so Taeyong could never do something else in the meantime. 

 

Another blue bubble appeared, signifying Jaehyun’s response. 

 

What r u doing right now?

 

Well, Taeyong wasn’t really doing anything, but was Jaehyun asking because he had something in mind?

 

I’m just watching a show in my room, u?

 

The bubbles appeared soon enough. Jaehyun was a really fast typer. 

 

Do you want to go out and eat ice cream soon? I mean only if u really want to go, I understand if you’re doing other stuff

 

Ice cream?

 

Looks like Jaehyun wanted to hang out today, that was a first. Taeyong never got invitations to go out with others, so Jaehyun was now forever going to be remembered as his first. 

 

He quickly sent out a text while he got up from his bed, heading towards his dresser. He was probably going to wear his favorite jeggings, the soft ones with the big pockets and light wash color, but…. It was too repetitive. 

 

There in the back of his closet were some jeans that he liked to wear but never got the chance. They were dark wash, with a low-rise waist and some rips, but they were prohibited at school and he didn’t want to get in trouble, although most students got away with it anyways. 

 

Good thing today was Saturday. 

 

---

 

The way Taeyong his ice cream was so cute. 

 

Jaehyun was usually called a psycho for biting his ice cream, but it’s not his fault! He just didn’t see the point in it if it was going to take longer AND the ice cream was going to melt. What was the point in all that? 

 

But now he has seen the light. Taeyong gave kitten and turned the ice cream cone around and his hand, his eyes filled with excitement as he took another . The way Taeyong was so enthusiastic about everything made Jaehyun’s heart turn. 

 

Taeyong arrived at the ice cream parlor, his usual hoodie on, but he had been wearing some jeans Jaehyun has never seen before. Taeyong always wears the same jeggings, but these ripped jeans? Man, they do Taeyong justice. 

 

Guys at school always joke about how Taeyong had no , but wearing those jeans help him make it up with his nice pretty legs. 

 

Jaehyun was in the mood for strawberry as soon as he saw Taeyong, so that’s what he got; his classic two scoops on top strawberry with a wafer stick on the side. Taeyong, however, didn’t get neopolitan; instead, he got a bubble gum scoop and a blueberry cheesecake scoop. 

 

Taeyong kept the ice cream when Jaehyun asked him, “I thought neopolitan was your favorite flavor?”

 

Jaehyun felt a bit guilty when he saw Taeyong look up apologetic. “Yeah, I know, it’s just I have a rule when my parents and I get ice cream,” Taeyong said. “I always try to get good-sounding flavors that you can’t get at the store."

 

Jaehyun nodded. “That’s a pretty good rule, really. I always get the same flavors."

 

“Oh, you can try this if you want,” Taeyong offered, holding his ice cream scoop towards Jaehyun.
 

Yo, did his crush just offer him an indirect kiss, technically?
 

Jaehyun was starting to internally freak out when he realized that Taeyong was still holding the ice cream cone towards him, so Jaehyun leaned over and took a bite.

 

It tasted funny, but had a nice tangy flavor to it. “It’s good,” he told Taeyong, “This is my first time trying blueberry cheesecake.”

 

“They also have strawberry cheesecake, since you like strawberry.” Taeyong took another , right where Jaehyun’s tongue had been. Gosh, he sounded like a 16-year-old- wait he’s 17…… 

 

“I’ll try it next time.” Jaehyun took a bite out of the wafer that was given to him. “Have you tried every flavor?”

 

“Here? No, but when I do, I’ll try to find another Mexican ice cream shop, that’s where they have all the eccentric flavors,” Taeyong explained. 

 

They ate some more of their ice cream in silence, Jaehyun having ate so much he already bit half the cone, while Taeyong had just finished the blueberry cheesecake scoop and going for the bubble gum scoop. That’s when Jaehyun asked him about the end-of-summer bash. 

 

Taeyong paused his . “What about it?”

 

“Are you going this year?” Jaehyun asked him. “This year Yuta is throwing it."

 

Taeyong shrugged. “I’m not invited.”

 

“Well, if you want to go, you can be my plus one,” Jaehyun offered. “It’s fun, they have like these extreme water slides, so much good food, okay, there’s some alcohol,” he explained, “but honestly, everyone has such a good time.”

 

Taeyong thought about it. He was planning on pulling an all-nighter tonight trying to come up with more ideas for Monday’s meeting, but summer was also his favorite season and he wanted to commemorate the end of it. 

 

He nodded. “Yeah, I’d love to come.”

 

---

 

Someone rang the doorbell, it must be Kun. They were assigned a short mini-project on Friday that must be completed with a partner, and as soon as the teacher said you could pick anyone, XIaojun mentally groaned inside. Five days into South Korea’s education system did not mean he suddenly felt comfortable in class asking someone to be his partner. Luckily Kun had saved him from that misery when he asked him later, so at least Xiaojun wasn’t stuck alone. 

 

Xiaojun jumped off the couch and ran towards the door, peering the peephole to reveal that, yes, it was Kun outside. Xiaojun removed the locks and opened the door, drawing in Kun’s attention. ‘Hey, you came,” he said in Mandarin.

 

“Yeah, I was scared of going to the wrong address,” Kun said. “But at least I made it here on time.”

 

Xiaojun opened the door wider to let Kun come in, the other walking slowly to admire the view of the house. “I like this place.”

 

“Um, thanks I guess?” Xiaojun said. Most of this stuff wasn’t his mothers, it was his aunt who had given it to her. The house was way smaller than the one they had back in China, but a house was a house, and Xiaojun felt bad complaining about it. His mother wasn’t even at home right now, she had asked for overtime hours at her new jobs. She had taken out some loans for this house, and it was critical that she paid them off straight away. 

 

“So, um, where do you want to work?” Xiaojun asked Kun. “Living room table, kitchen table, my bed, do you have a preference?”

 

“I guess the kitchen table,” Kun answered. “Larger and more steady.”

 

Xiaojun nodded and grabbed his book bag that he had on the couch and led Kun to the kitchen. The table probably wasn’t what Kun expected, but it still had room for the two of them. 

 

The table was always set with a different fruit; today, his mother had stacked kiwis to form a circle around three dragon fruit. 

 

“The fruit arrangement is pretty,” Kun commented, sitting at one of the three chairs. “I really like it.”

 

“Thanks, my mother did it.” Xiaojun pulled out the seat beside Kun and open his backpack, taking out his binder for Korean literature class. “She’s good at organization.”

 

Kun nodded in agreement. “And has good taste in fruit. Kiwis are so delicious.”

 

Xiaojun wanted to say that those were actually his kiwis, his mother hated them with a passion. She was more of a grape fan, but-

 

Wait, why was he arguing about fruit in his head?

 

For the next hour, they continued on doing their work, going off-topic here and there, mainly about where they were from and Kun being impressed with Xiaojun’s cantonese. Kun started about a party tonight where Lucas, Hendery and Yangyang were going to crash and promptly steal all the apples for a food war. 

 

“Oh, the bash or something?” Xiaojun asked him. “Some kids were talking about it in class, are you going?”

 

Kun shook his head. “Nah, not really. I like to stay in my room,” he said. “I don’t mind being alone."

 

This guy who actually had friends in this stupid school prefrred to be alone? What is wrong with him? Xiaojun would rather die than be alone for the rest of his life. Oh, if his mother ...no. He wouldn’t think of that. 

 

“What do you even do in your room?” Xiaojun asked. “Throw your own dance party with a good helping of nachos?”

 

“Why, what’s wrong with-wait, that’s overly specific.” Kun put down his pencil to look at Xiaojun. “Is that what you do?”

 

Wow, okay, Xiaojun needed to shut his mouth for once in his life. But why did he have to deny it? It’s not like people are going to watch him anyways. “Yeah, so? What’s wrong with dancing in your room by yourself?”

 

“Yeah, I like to sing along,” Kun said. “You should come to my house, we have these good speakers and a really good dance floor in the basement. I always have the time of my life there.”

---

 

Si Cheng never thought he’d get invited to this lit what-ever party this is. 

 

He was really surprised when Yuta asked him on Friday if he wanted to go as his plus one. Si Cheng had asked him if the person throwing it was okay with bringing extra people, to which Yuta said, “Si Cheng, that’s me, why do you think I asked?”

 

That shook him to no end. 

 

So he arrived early to Yuta’s place where the latter was setting it up with some of his friends. There were boxes and boxes of pizza on the counters, coolers lined up around the house to which Johnny was filling them up with some ice. Yuta carried up some boxes from the basement, for which Si Cheng had offered to help unload them.

 

“Si Cheng, I didn’t invite you to do labor,” Yuta said, trying to move Si Cheng’s hand away. “I invited you to have a good time.”

 

Si Cheng shrugged. “It’s no problem-oh,” he said when he saw the boxes name on front. It was a generic beer, with a low-amount of alcohol. “Really? Why this brand, this is disgusting."

 

Yuta laughed. “You drink?"

 

“Time to time with my parents,” Si Cheng said. “But they have good stuff, this? I hate this brand.” He opened the box and started unloading it into the cooler along with Yuta. “I’m not a lightweight, though, so I don’t drink to get drunk or whatever, only to eat with food.”

 

“Oh, I don’t drink at all,” Yuta said. “I’m a light-weight, plus, if you’re in sports you’re not allowed to,” he added. “I’m not risking it for, what, wheat juice?”

 

Yuta was the captain of the school’s soccer team, a recognized sports team in their school. They have won multiple awards in the country and globally, and Yuta is the one who lead them the victory cup in South Korea last year, hence why he was voted as captain. Yuta was really good, Si Cheng had noticed; he had gone to a few games last year, before Yuta was leader, and he did a lot of work on the field. He was really curious on how Yuta was going to be this year as captain. 

 

Yuta had been offering him to go to places together lately, however. A trip to the movies, checking out a new restaurant, going to a school event as friends. It was peculiar, but nonetheless, Yuta was still a good friend.

 

Now they just had to enjoy this party together. 

 

---

 

Two people were having a party of their own. 

 

Not really. Jihoon was at Soonyoung’s house playing Mario Kart again, with Jihoon winning this time. The two of them would get super competitive over the game and have almost lost their friendship twice. Good times. 

 

However, now when Soonyoung lifted a bowl, he tripped and got salsa inside his shirt, so he shouted for Jihoon to quickly pause the game while he went to the bathroom to wash up. 

 

Jihoon didn’t want to pause it; he was going to lose his winning flow when they jump back in the game. Even so, he did pause it, and while waiting for Soonyoung, decided to review the papers from work. 

 

Some were normal, some really well; they might be able to conclude the finding of ten new binary star systems. This was good news! He kept reviewing the papers until one caught his attention. 

 

It was an astronomical object, but he didn’t know how to quite define it. A planet, a star? No, it wasn’t a star, wasn’t composed of gases, but….

 

Something was wrong. 

 

The heat detected was in different spot; it would make sense if it was occurring volcanos or other weird . Some planets had geysers or pockets of hot gases. But this heat… was different... 

 

“Jihoon, are you doing work again?” Soonyoung asked, drying his bare chest with a towel. “You don’t have to stress about last week-”

 

“Hoshi,” Jihoon said, using their old childhood nicknames again. He lifted up the piece of paper that he was holding. “This is just like last week.”

 

Soonyoung frowned. “What do you mean? I’m confused.”

 

“It’s the same evidence,” Jihoon said. “I’m confused, too. This doesn’t make any sense.”