II

Drawn to Darkness, Blinded by Light

Seungkwan was once again sitting at the edge of land where the forest became meadow. Nothing about the land in front of him was different from before and yet everything had changed since that night. The night when he had been drawn to an unknown presence. A presence belonging to a demon by the name of Mingyu. Now no longer unfamiliar to him. Now kissing him good night as they said goodbye.

 

It had all started innocent enough. A simple desire to quench their mutual curiosities, to learn things that no-one in their respective worlds was willing to teach them. But curiosity turned into a true desire to spend time with the other and as the nights grew colder, they grew closer.

 

“It's getting cold. I'd better return home.” These were the words Seungkwan spoke right before Mingyu wrapped his arms around him for the first time. He felt his heartbeat rise. His face close to Mingyu's body, his hands awkwardly held in front of his own. The quiet of the night more present than ever.

 

“Here, I'm warm. Now you don't have to go.” Mingyu whispered. Seungkwan wrapped his own arms around the tall figure holding him and pressed his ear against his chest. His heart was beating fast too. This embrace was something neither of them realized how much they had craved until it happened. Seungkwan tightened his grip. He didn't want to let go. He didn't want to be let go. But he knew he had to. If he didn't go home soon someone might notice he wasn't there. He knew the same was true for Mingyu.

 

So, slowly, unwillingly, he pulled away slightly. Just enough to be able to look up and meet his eyes. His heartbeat that had calmed down started to rise again under Mingyu's gaze. As he stared at the demon's handsome features and his gentle eyes a strange feeling washed over him. The feeling, the desire, to feel Mingyu's lips on his own. The intensity of it so overwhelming that Seungkwan feared he might collapse if it wasn't for the strong arms still holding him. An almost unbearable moment filled with immobility was ended when Mingyu leaned his head down. Their lips locked together in perfect harmony. Seungkwan parted his lips to grant entrance and his head was ablaze with emotions. Some familiar to him, such as affection, perhaps even love. But there was something in this kiss that was new to him as well. Something strong, powerful. Lust.

 

Never before had Seungkwan felt this way about anyone. Never before had he wanted to be close to someone in the way that he wanted to be close to the one kissing him in that moment. A small voice in the back of his mind reminded him of who, what, he was kissing. A demon. But when he pulled back and looked at the shy smile on Mingyu's face all of his worries were driven into a small box in an unlit corner of his thoughts.

 

When the nights became too cold to sit outside for hours, even with their bodies close together, they sought out shelter within the forest of their meetings. They found it in the shape of a small cottage, long abandoned by its owners. It was there that they first shared the most intimate parts of themselves with each other.

 

A bead of sweat ran down the side of Mingyu's face as he looked down at Seungkwan's face, beautifully lit up by the light coming from the fire they had made in the old fireplace. Their eyes were caught in a mesmerizing gaze neither one of them could break free from. Neither of them wanted to anyway.

 

“I love you.” Mingyu said with a voice filled with heavy breaths. Seungkwan placed his hands on the back of Mingyu's head and tangled his fingers in his hair.

 

“I love you too.” He pulled him down so their mouths could meet. Mingyu gently reached for Seungkwan's hands and pushed them down on the floor on the sides of his head. He placed his own hands on top and their fingers joined together. Their kisses and their breathing joined together in a kind of erratic unity, strengthened with every .

 

This time it wasn't just Seungkwan's mind that was ablaze. His whole body felt like it was on fire. Consumed by the flames of love. Love and the insatiable desire for Mingyu's touch. He closed his eyes and let it all wash over him. He was sure he would rise from the ashes. For where they had both come looking for solitude, they had found a sense of belonging in each other instead.

 

Afterward they lay in front of the fire. Mingyu's arms wrapped around Seungkwan. Seungkwan's head buried in Mingu's chest.

 

“Do you think that what we did was wrong?” Seungkwan asked with a small voice.

 

Mingyu lazily his hair, “Did it feel wrong?” he asked calmly. He could feel Seungkwan shake his head against his chest.

 

“No. More than anything I have ever done in my life it felt right.”

 

“Then why would it be wrong?” Mingyu's voice was gentle. He understood why Seungkwan had these worries. Unlike demons and other creatures of the dark, being intimidate with someone, in the way they had just been, was a very serious thing in the world of light. Something sacred. Seungkwan was shaking lightly and Mingyu felt the wetness of his tears on his chest. He held him tighter. “I love you, Seungkwan.”

 

Everytime they had lain together since that first night, the part of Seungkwan that told him he was doing something wrong grew more quiet until it completely died out. Along with that, he slowly started to question the supposed morality and the rules, written and unwritten, of the society he had grown up in. His relationship with Mingyu had become so important to him, to who he was and to who he was becoming. And yet he couldn't share it with even his closest friends out of fear that they wouldn't understand. But it was pressing on him. More and more with each passing day. So when the night came that he was sneaking back into his room and Hansol was there waiting for him, he made the decision to trust in his friend. To trust in their friendship.