The Greatest Con Man (1)

The Greatest Con Man

After exchanging his ticket with that man, Jongwoon's flight was changed to seven in the evening instead. The man's ticket was a first-class seat, so he was allowed to wait at the VIP lounge. Having nothing better to do, he watched some movies on his phone to kill time. However, he fell asleep in the middle of it. Dozing off while sitting on the comfortable sofa, he woke up when he felt someone poking his arms. Waking up with a tired yawn, he saw two kids standing in front of him, a boy and a girl. Their heights barely reached his waist so he guessed that they were younger than Donghae and Hyukjae. Fully awake, he noticed that they wore matching outfits and their faces were an exact copy of each other, a twin?

 

"Mister, you drop this," The boy said while handing his boarding pass to him.

"This one too," The girl handed him his phone.

"Oh, thank you!"

 

Jongwoon smiled at them and took his belongings back. The twin beamed at him and walked back to a man sitting not far from him, probably their father. He cursed his stupidity when he found out that his phone's battery had run out because he fell asleep while watching a movie. Great, he had yet to call Ahra noona and informed his brothers that he would be late, and now he couldn't even call them. Luckily, the VIP lounge had a battery charging zone so he could just charge his phone there. He was about to head to that zone but a voice from speakers stopped him. It was an announcement calling passengers to board the plane. Jongwoon sighed. Well, he might as well head to the villa as soon as he arrived at Jeju, before Donghae and Hyukjae got too anxious and exposed his surprise visit to Kyuhyun.

 

**********************

 

Jongwoon was surprised to find the twin and their father at the first-class cabin, sitting at the seat just in front of him. The twin smiled and happily waved at him which he happily waved back. They went to their seats and fastened the seat belt. Soon, the plane took off and he did his best not to look out of the window. He was too excited about confessing to Kyuhyun that he practically forgot about his fear of height. No wonder his brothers insisted that Kyuhyun flew back to Seoul instead of him flying to Jeju alone. The light above his head turned green, signaling that he could take off his seat belt now. However, he continued to sit frozen in his seat, his face paper pale.

 

"Mister, are you alright? Your face is really white," The boy came to his seat and asked him with a genuinely concerning tone.

"Are you sick? Appa is a doctor so he can help you if you're sick!" The girl joined her twin and smiled at him.

"You two are really kind. I'm fine, just feel a bit nervous because this is my first time on a plane."

"Oh! I know how you feel! I was scared too during my first time riding the plane!" The girl said while lightly patting his arm.

"Umma taught us to sing a song when that happens! She said the song will chase your fear away. Why don't we sing it together?"

 

The boy said and began to sing some nursery songs. His twin sister quickly sang along. Both kids' lively voices and friendly smiles cheered Jongwoon up a great degree. They reminded him so much of Donghae and Hyukjae when they were young. Back in their time in the orphanage, when Jongwoon was tired from his part-time jobs, Donghae and Hyukjae often sang him a song to help relieve his stress too. Jongwoon smiled and began to sing along with the twin. However, as soon as he sang, the twin immediately stopped singing. In fact, the entire first-class cabin suddenly fell into silence. It took him some time to realize that, but when he did, he also stopped singing too. He looked around nervously and wondered what happened.

 

"Wow! Oppa, your voice is really good!"

"Sing more! Sing more!"

 

Jongwoon still wasn't sure if he should sing more, but the twin's father spoke up with a small smile.

 

"We were just stunned by your beautiful voice. You really should sing more."

 

Looking at the twin's father and the other passengers, Jongwoon received an approval nod from everyone. He felt a bit shy, but the twin's puppy eyes completely melted his heart. He sang again, quietly at first, but when the twin smiled at him, he sang more confidently. In the end, Jongwoon serenaded everyone in the first-class cabin with his voice throughout the one-hour flight.

.

.

.

"Seulmi, Seulhyun, you should let him go now."

"But I wanna hear Jongwoon oppa sing more!"

"I want to hear Jongwoon hyung sing more too!"

 

Jongwoon apologized to the twin's father through his defeated smile. The twin wouldn't stop clinging on him at all, even though they had already arrived at Jeju. Even their father couldn't separate them from him. Sighing again, the man tried to reason with his children.

 

"You shouldn't bother him like this. What if he had something important to do or someone to meet?"

"Oppa, do you have to go somewhere?"

"Well... I do have to meet my... Friend?"

"I know! Appa, let Jongwoon hyung ride our car and send him to where he has to go!"

"What? No, I don't think I should do that..."

"Jongwoon-ssi, I'm sorry for my children's tantrum, but could you let us give you a ride?"

 

In the end, Jongwoon agreed to go with the man and his twin children. When a luxurious car stopped in front of them and the driver came out to open the door for them, he couldn't help but think that both the car and the driver looked somewhat familiar.

 

************

 

Jongwoon had them drop him off at the city square rather than went directly to the villa. He felt bad for thinking this, but he didn't trust them enough to tell them the direction to Kyuhyun family's villa. There was one problem though, he forgot that today was the year-end day. A carnival was held in the city square and the place was crowded with people. He couldn't find any taxi and buses were full of people that he couldn't get on. In the end, he had to walk instead. It was eight-thirty in the evening now but he was still nowhere near the villa, worst of all, he hadn't contacted his brothers yet. At first, he planned to call Ahra noona as soon as he arrived at Jeju. Problem was, he couldn't remember her phone number. While he did remember Kyuhyun's phone number to his heart, he didn't want to ruin the surprise so he didn't call Kyuhyun too. He stubbornly walked even though he began to feel tired now. After a while, his legs protested and he had no choice but to take a short rest. Sitting down on a bench, he took out the tarot deck and looked at it to cheer himself up. He was going to confess to Kyuhyun and nothing could stop him!

 

"Excuse me, Mister, could it be that you know how to read tarot cards?"

 

Startled, Jongwoon looked up and saw a woman dressed in black suit standing in front of him. Her expression was full of expectation.

 

"Yes, I do know the basics of it, though I'm just an amateur."

"That alone is enough! Please, could you be a substitute fortune teller just for tonight? We'll pay you handsomely too!"

"I'm sorry, a what?"

"A substitute fortune teller. I'm the organizer of this carnival. Initially, we hire a famous fortune-teller specifically for this event. However, something came up and she couldn't make it to Jeju tonight. The event will be held until the end of January's first week though, so she can just come tomorrow. However, we have already publicized that she would be here tonight. We have to find a substitute just for tonight! Could you please help us? Pretty please?"

"But I already have a plan for tonight... Actually, I'm kinda late for it too..."

"It's just from nine to eleven, only three hours! I beg of you, please help us! You're the only one who can do it!"

"I..."

"Please!"

"Sigh... Just three hours, right?"

"Yes! Yes, it's just three hours only! Thank you! Thank you very much! I'll prepare a dress and a wig now!"

"Wait a sec, a dress... And a wig...?"

"Yes, I did tell you that the famous fortune-teller we hired is a she, right? That's why you have to cross-dress!"

"W-What!? But I'm a man!"

 

The woman swept her gaze up and down Jongwoon's body. She nodded in approval and smirked.

 

"Trust me, you can definitely pull it off!"

 

************************

 

2 hours ago...

 

"It's six in the evening now. Didn't Woonie hyung say that he'll be here around two? Should we tell Kyuhyun hyung already?"

"... Let's wait a bit more. It's the holiday season now. Jongwoon hyung's flight probably gets delayed or something."

 

 

 

1 hour ago...

 

"It's seven in the evening now... Even if the flight was delayed, it should only take one hour from Seoul to Jeju. Woonie hyung called us at noon, seven hours have passed but he still hasn't contacted us again. Should we tell Kyuhyun hyung already?"

"... We'll call him again in one hour. If Jongwoon hyung still isn't here, we'll tell him."

.

.

.

.

It was eight in the evening now. The Cho family was having a barbeque party by the beach. Kyuhyun noticed that Donghae and Hyukjae barely touched the meal so he asked them in concern. Hyukjae looked like he wanted to say something but he was disrupted by Donghae who suddenly cried out loud.

 

"K-Kyuhyun hyung, what should we do!? Woonie hyung is gone!"

 

The entire table immediately fell into chaos. Hyukjae tried to calm Donghae down but soon cried along instead. The kids got off their seats and ran to Kyuhyun. They jumped at him, hugged him tightly, and cried. It took Kyuhyun and Ahra ten whole minutes to calm them down enough to speak properly. Because Donghae still sobbed softly, Hyukjae took it upon himself to explain what happened. The boy told everyone about Jongwoon's surprise visit plan, how he told them that he would be here around two but still hadn't shown up even now, and how they weren't able to contact him at all. Still hugging Donghae who sat on his lap, Kyuhyun tried to call Jongwoon but it only took him to a voicemail. After several more attempts but he still couldn't contact Jongwoon, he began to feel worried too. His father contacted an acquaintance who worked at the Jeju airport and, after some investigation, one staff told them that he saw someone who looked like Jongwoon walked out of the airport with a stranger man...

.

.

.

"Stupid Jongwoon hyung!" Hyukjae shouted and cried, "Why did you follow a stranger!"

"Kyuhyun hyung! You have to hurry up and find Woonie hyung! What if someone kidnapped him or hurt him!" Donghae cried even louder now.

"Don't worry, I'll definitely find him. You two stay here with noona and umma." Kyuhyun ruffled the kids' heads to reassure them.

"Who gets kidnapped? Did we miss something?"

 

Donghae and Hyukjae turned to where the unfamiliar voice came from. They saw a middle-age man walked toward them, a twin boy and girl younger than them by his sides. The twin squealed in joy and ran to hug Ahra as soon as they saw her, while the man came to greet Mr. Cho and Mrs. Cho The twin ran to hug Kyuhyun next. After pulling away, they stared at Donghae and Hyukjae, their eyes filled with curiosity. Ahra smiled and introduced them to each other.

 

"Seulmi, Seulhyun, this is Donghae and Hyukjae. They're your new big brothers. Donghae-ah, Hyukjae-ah, they're my twin son and daughter, and that man over there is my husband. Seulmi and Seulhyun just turn six this year, so I hope you'll be their good brothers."

"Donghae oppa, Hyukjae oppa, why did you cry?" Seulmi asked as she grabbed the hem of both boys' shirts.

"That's because we can't find our big brother," Donghae replied with a hiccup.

"Big brother? There is one more new big brother apart from Donghae hyung and Hyukjae hyung?" Seulhyun asked as he tilted his head.

"Yes, he is my boyfriend. Do you want to see his picture?" Kyuhyun asked and, after he got eager nods from the twin, took his phone out to show them one of Jongwoon's pictures that he secretly took awhile ago.

.

.

.

While Ahra introduced her children to Donghae and Hyukjae, her husband was talking with her parents.

 

"Appa, umma, what were you talking about? Why did the atmosphere look so solemn?"

"Kyuhyun's boyfriend supposed to come to Jeju since the afternoon but we couldn't contact him. Appa asked his friend and someone told us that he followed some stranger out of the airport, so we plan to go search for him now."

"You arrive at the perfect timing. I know you might be tired from all the flights but I want you to come with me and Kyuhyun to look for him. Umma and Ahra will stay here and take care of the kids."

"Of course, I'll go wi-"

 

The adults' talk was disrupted by a joyful squealing from the twin.

 

"It's Jongwoon oppa!"

"Will Jongwoon hyung be our new brother too!?"

 

The twin jumped up and down excitedly when they saw the picture on Kyuhyun's phone. Kyuhyun quickly kneeled down and asked his niece and nephew how did they know Jongwoon. The adults also joined them. Ahra handed Kyuhyun's phone to her husband. His eyes grew bigger as soon as he saw the picture.

 

"We met him at the airport. Jongwoon hyung fell asleep and dropped his stuff and we picked them up for him!"

"Jongwoon oppa also sang many songs for us while we were on the plane! His voice is really good!"

"Ah, this is your boyfriend? What a small world!"

"Hyung, did you meet Jongwoon? When and where?"

"We were on the same flight and sat in the same cabin. The kids really like him so we offered him a ride. We last seen him just not long ago when he told us to drop him at the city square. He's probably still there."

"So, the stranger who was with Jongwoon is you? What a small world indeed! Kyu, do you want us to go with you?"

"No, noona, I'll go find him myself."

 

Kyuhyun didn't listen to whatever his sister said next. As soon as he knew where Jongwoon might be now, he quickly grabbed his coat and the car key and ran off.

 

***************

 

15 minutes before the new year...

 

 

"Jongwoon-ssi, thank you so much again for everything! We really can't do it without you! By the way, are you interested to be our fortune teller for the whole event? People really love you and your fortune-telling!"

"N-No, I think I have had enough of cross-dressing now..."

"Is that so? What a shame, you look absolutely gorgeous tonight that I think it's a shame to just let it go to waste, but, if you don't want to do it then that's that. Here, a payment for tonight."

 

Jongwoon, still in drag, smiled and thanked the woman. He supposed to work until eleven according to the plan, but his fortune-telling was a big hit and people wouldn't stop lining in front of the tent. In the end, the closing time was prolonged to eleven forty-five instead. Because it was almost time to count down now, people finally stopped visiting his tent. He came out of the tent to stretch his tired body and got fresh air. However, his heart almost jumped out of his chest when he saw Kyuhyun striding through the crowd of people, his face full of worry. He was about to hide in the tent but then remembered that he was in drag now so Kyuhyun shouldn't recognize him. Then, a brilliant idea popped in his head. He smiled confidently and strode to where Kyuhyun was.

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun was looking everywhere for Jongwoon when a mysterious woman looking to be around his age approached him. She wore a one-piece, long-sleeves pink dress that flowing to her knees. Her fluffy bubble gum pink hair that perfectly framed around her oval face reminded him of a cotton candy he used to buy for Donghae and Hyukjae. Her almond-shaped eyes were as dark as the night sky above his head. Her chubby cheeks were painted in pale pink contrasting to her bright dress. Her full pink lips formed a beautiful smile that almost made his heart skip a beat. Just almost, because he already had Jongwoon. Though he had to admit that he might fall for her if he hadn't already fallen for Jongwoon. The woman spoke up, and Kyuhyun wanted to hit himself for thinking that her voice was very beautiful, almost as beautiful as Jongwoon's.

 

"Handsome, do you have some free time?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry now."

"Oh, come on! I can answer whatever questions you want to know with my amazing fortune telling skill!"

"You're a fortune-teller?"

 

For some reason, the woman fidgeted under his curious stare.

 

"Y-Yes, not just any fortune teller too, I'm the best when it comes to fortune telling!"

 

She replied and, after that, her lips and tilted her head unconsciously. Kyuhyun's eyes grew bigger. Then, he secretly swept his gaze up and down her body while she was playing with her fingers. He stared at her hands and almost laughed out loud when he saw a pair of somewhat familiar small hands.

 

"I changed my mind now. Maybe you really can help me answer some questions I have kept to myself for a while."

"Really!? I mean, that's wonderful! I promise I won't let you down! Follow me to my tent then!"

"Wait a sec, do you mind if I tell my sister first that I'm here? I don't want to worry her."

"Of course not, go ahead,"

 

Kyuhyun sneakily took a picture of the 'woman' and sent it to his sister.

 

 

Bratty Kyu: Noona, I found him.

Bratty Kyu: *send a picture of the woman dressed in pink*

Awesome Ahra: IS THAT

Awesome Ahra: ACGEJKFEUKDRUIFSHH

Bratty Kyu: Noona, calm down!

Bratty Kyu: Btw, can you ask appa to tell whoever in charge of this event not to let anyone come near the fortune teller tent?

Awesome Ahra: Gotcha

Awesome Ahra: Take more photos while you're at it too.

Bratty Kyu: Absolutely   :)

 

 

Putting his phone back in his coat pocket, Kyuhyun followed the 'woman' to the white tent. His smirk almost reached his ears as he kept his eyes on the 'woman' all the time.

 

 

My beloved Jongwoon, you seriously never fails to amuse me.

 

 

Chuckling to himself, Kyuhyun secretly took another photo while the 'woman' wasn't aware of it.