Prologue

Ashes of Dreams

"We have heard the statement of Mr. Oh Sehun, which is clearly in the favor of the divorce. Now do you have anything else to say about the case, Mrs. Oh?" 

"I don't want a divorce, my Lord."

As soon as the words flew out of Yun Hee's mouth, she saw the shocked faces of her family, friends and in-laws. But there was one face that was starting at her most intensely, showing the feeling of betrayal along with shock. Those eyes, that she used to love tremendously, seemed to haunt her.

She placed her right hand on the bump of her stomach to fondle it and felt determined words flowing out of nonstop.

"I know that my words contradict the situation since I am the one who filed for the divorce, but my Lord, I am someone who has always believed in second chances. Then how could I end my marriage without giving it a second chance? How could I face my unborn children after giving up on their father without a single fight? Filing this divorce was necessary to keep me reminded of the fact that the chance I am willing to give is the last. I hope you understand my situation."

She found her mother crying profusely, her father rubbing his forehead tiredly and her sister wiping her own quiet tears while caressing the hair of her beautiful daughter, Park Ara. She also saw her in-laws giving her teary smiles out of gratitude. But what caused her to halt was the hatred filled eyes of her husband, telling her silently that those hard feelings were all for her.

"Mrs. Oh Yun Hee, I hope you know that you have insulted the court by using it for your personal conflicts. But the court has decided to neglect it, letting you off with just a warning since you are expecting. Regarding the case, the court has decided to halt the divorce for six months since only one of the 2 parties is ready for it. By the end of the period, if both the cannot come to a mutual decision, then the divorce will be granted, deciding that the marriage is beyond saving. The processing of this case ends here today. The court is adjourned."

Her eyes travelled to where he was and saw him bolting out of the courtroom, as if even breathing in the same air as her suffocates him. She felt her eyes watering as they rested upon the retreating figure of her husband. A thought appeared in her mind like a flashing light, blinding all her previous willpower. "Is he worth it?"

Then she thought about the two growing lives inside her and shrugged off the thought while trying to wipe away her tears and plaster a fake smile on her face.