This Christmas

The Jung Family Holiday Stories
Please log in to read the full chapter

The clocks ticked throughout the house. The ticks echoed in each quiet room in anticipation. It was only 6 in the morning, but it was almost time to wake up soon.

Daehyun was the first to pop out of his sleep. “Jaehyun! Jaehyun! Jaehyun!” he shook the sleeping boy next to him. “What?” the 9-year-old groaned. His eyes shot wide in realization. A large grin grew on his lips as he and Daehyun looked at each other. “Appa!!” They jumped out of the bed out the room.

“Appa!” “Appa!” They ran down the stars. “Daehyun look!” Jaehyun stopped his brother and pointed to the Christmas tree. There were presents piled underneath the festive tree. Daehyun’s eyes lit up.

“Appa! Appa!” They boys burst into their parents’ room. “Appa! It’s Christmas!” They jumped onto the large bed.

Jaejoong was the first one to wake up, removing his eye mask. “What are you two doing?” He asked still half asleep. “Merry Christmas Appa!” Jaehyun greeted him with a hug and kiss. Jaejoong smiled at this. “Merry Christmas Jae.” He returned the affectionate hug and planted a kiss on his cheeks.

“Wake up Appa. It’s Christmas.” Daehyun shook his father who was still fast asleep. “how are you still sleeping?” Daehyun shook him harder. “Wake u-,” Daehyun was cut off when he was suddenly put into a headlock. “Aaaah!!” he screamed.

“Yah. Why did you wake me up?” Yunho questioned, not releasing his hold. “B-Because it’s Ch-Christmas.” Daehyun struggled to break free from his father’s hold. “Do you know what time it is? I was having a good dream too.” “L-Let...let go.” Daehyun grabbed at his father’s arms. “Oh? You’re trying to break free, huh?” Yunho raised an eyebrow. “No!!” Daehyun shouted as the two of them broke out into wrestling. Jaejoong immediately pulled himself and Jaehyun off the bed to avoid getting hit from the other two.

It wasn’t until another 5 minutes when Yunho and Daehyun finished their wrestling match and the family of 4 made their way to living room to open gifts. Jaejoong pulled out his camera to capture everyone opening their first few presents.

“Whoa! No way!” Jaehyun exclaimed when he pulled out one of the action figures he’s been wanting all year. “Daehyun picked it out.” Jaejoong told him. “Thank you hyung!!” Jaehyun hugged his brother. “You’re welcome.” Daehyun smiled proudly.

“Appa open this one.” Jaehyun handed Jaejoong one of the larger boxes. “This is for me?” Jaejoong asked surprised. Jaehyun nodded, “I picked it out.” He smiled. Jaejoong carefully unwrapped the gift and laughed when he saw what it was. “This is the blender I saw on TV a while ago.”

Jaehyun nodded.

“You remembered I wanted this?” Jaejoong asked a bit surprised. The 9-year-old nodded once more. “Awe thank you.” Jaejoong hugged him followed by a kiss.

Yunho laughed when he opened one of the gifts from Jaejoong. It was a large vitamin kit. “How did you know I wanted this?” “How could I not? You were raving about it when it came out.” Jaejoong said. Yunho chuckled a little, “Thanks.” “Why would you want that for Christmas?” Daehyun peaked over Yunho’s shoulder. “Because, it keeps you healthy and makes you big and strong.” Yunho explained.

Daehyun looked at him, not convinced. “Here. Open this.” Yunho said, handing him a large box. Daehyun’s eyes widened in delight as he tore open the wrapping paper. “A motorcycle!” He exclaimed, lifting up the toy vehicle. “This is so cool!” He said, already pressing the buttons. “Jaehyun told me that you were into motorcycles. I couldn’t get you a real one, but I found this.” Yunho winked at him. “Thank you Appa!” Daehyun hugged his father’s neck. “You’re welcome Dae.” Yunho patted his back.

 

They opened the rest of the gifts that they received from each other and from other family and friends. When they finished, they cleaned up the trash from the wrapping and prepared for a large Christmas breakfast.

“Mmmm~, this is delicious.” Daehyun hummed as they ate. “Thank you. Jaehyun helped me out with breakfast.” Jaejoong said. “Wow Jaehyun, you’re really good at cooking.” Daehyun complimented, his face stuffed with food. “Thank you.” Jaehyun smiled, pleased by the compliment. “Keep this up and you might become a better chef than Appa.” Yunho told him.

“Really?!” Jaehyun perked. “Mm hm.” Yunho nodded. “If you do that. I’ll eat your food forever!” Daehyun exclaimed.

Jaejoong only laughed, not having much to say on the subject. Yunho shook his head, knowing what was going on in his husband’s mind. Jaejoong took a lot of pride in his cooking. Jaejoong didn’t want to discourage his son, so he opted in saying nothing and laughing instead.

 

After breakfast, the boys went off to play with their new toys until it was time for their next feast. Daehyun stole the opportunity to eat as many candy canes as he pleased since it was Christmas. But his parents limited him to only 5. For they knew that he’d end up eating every candy cane that caught his eye if given the chance.

“Appa~!” Daehyun ran into the kitchen where Jaejoong and Yunho were preparing for dinner. “Yes Dae. What is it?” Jaejoong asked. “Jaehyun said that we’re not having Christmas dinner here.” Daehyun said.

“We’re not. We’re having dinner at Uncle Heechul’s.” Jaejoong confirmed. Daehyun frowned at this. “No~…” He whined. “Why? What’s wrong?” Jaejoong asked. “We can’t go to Uncle Heechul’s because Youngjae is supposed to come over.” Daehyun explained.

Jaejoong looked at Yunho in confusion, but Yunho shrugged, not knowing about it either. “Dae, Youngjae isn’t coming over. He’s spending time with his family.” Jaejoong told him.

“But he is. He said he will.” Daehyun told him.

“Daehyun. Listen. It’s Christmas. I’m sure he wants to spend it with his family. He didn’t get to spend Thanksgiving with them. So, he’s probably looking forward to spending the day with his family. If you want, maybe you can see if you two can hang out tomorrow. But not today.” Jaejoong told him.

Daehyun frowned, but he knew better than to keep going on about it. Something behind Jaejoong’s tone told him not to.

Daehyun ran out the kitchen with much urgency. He needed to tell Youngjae that he wasn’t going to be home that night. He tried to call his house phone, but no one picked up. He called over and over again, but no one ever answered.

Daehyun groaned, unsure of what to do. He couldn’t go to his house. His parents won’t let him. He couldn’t sneak out, for he’d surely get caught. “Maybe he’s on his way now.” Jaehyun suggested. “You’re right!” Daehyun perked. They never said what time they’d see each other, so he could come at any time. Daehyun grabbed his toy motorcycle and sat in front of the front door. As soon as Youngjae comes, he wanted to show him his new toy.

 

Daehyun waited for hours in front of the door, playing with his motorcycle. He waited and waited. He only left once to change out of his pajamas. He waited until it was time to leave for his uncle’s house.

“Can we wait just a little longer?” Daehyun pleaded. “No. We’re already late. Let’s go.” Jaejoong shut down.

Daehyun frowned once more, before reluctantly putting on his shoes and coat. “Don’t worry. You’ll be able to see him tomorrow. For now, just have fun. Okay?” Yunho encouraged him, helping him put on his scarf. “Okay.” Daehyun said, not convinced. “Good. Now can I get a smile?” His father said. Daehyun gave a small smile. “Is that what you call a smile?” Daehyun forced another smile but was smaller than the first one. “yah. Do I have to force it out of you?” Yunho said, tickling his son.

Daehyun bursted into laughter. “S-Stop…Please. I

Please log in to read the full chapter