Episode 2- Reputation: Part Two

Still Waters Run Deep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Well, let's not get too hasty here, Miss Bae. I'll be back once I get your file."

Taking a deep breath to steel herself, Irene nodded and walked over to one of the empty pallets. It had required nearly all her self-control to step into the office, and to be honest, most of her just wanted to leave.

Irene had always been the kind of girl to go at it alone, to never ask for help. It had taken her years of being a Trainer to come to the realization that she didn't have to be alone. She'd made friends, both human and Pokémon. People like Moonbyul and Solar, and it killed her to not be able to go to them.

Whoa there, Irene, stop over-analyzing this. You miss Dante, these feelings are normal. So why does it feel like I'm falling apart inside?

Irene's thoughts were interrupted as the nurse came back clutching her folder.

"Miss Bae, you've certainly been through a lot these past few months. How have you been dealing with Dante's death?"

The Champion scoffed, "Peachy. I became Champion and then lost my best friend."

"Irene."

"What do you want me to say, doc? A part of me died that day along with him, and I haven't felt the same since. Hell, I can't even make myself go through with a simple photo-shoot because I know he isn't there. I keep reliving the memory of that awful phone call, when they told me my starter was dying. And every time I think things might be getting better, I freeze and wonder perhaps things aren't meant to."

The nurse listened patiently, pausing only to scribble down a few notes. "Miss Bae, I don't think anything's wrong with you. Losing a Pokémon is never an easy thing to experience. Considering the connection you shared with that Charizard, I can see where you're coming from."

Irene already regretted telling the nurse that much. "What do you propose I do about it then? My father's been nagging me to get back in the game. To him I'm just a cash cow, I'm not his daughter."

Clucking in disapproval, Ji-eun laid down her pen. "You need to let the grieving process take place. The entire region sees you as a celebrity, the Champion of the Kalos region, and I'm starting to think that's how you see yourself. You're human, Irene, and it's okay to feel sad. It's okay to feel angry. And it's okay to cry."

The Champion's entire body seemed to collapse inward on itself as she hung her head. Her voice broke slightly as she stood up. "Thank you. I need to think about…well, everything. I definitely needed to hear that. If you don't mind I'm…gonna head out."

As she left, feet shuffling slowly away, Ji-eun watched her go with concern. She'll eventually pull through, I can see her strength. It'll take time though, and I hope she's able to realize that.

From her pallet only a few feet away from the desk, Seulgi silently wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

XXX

By the time Seulgi got back to her dorm room, night had fallen. With a slight limp to her step, and a backpack full of homework, she staggered inside and shut the door, dumping her things on her desk and collapsing in her chair.

"Maybe I should just tape a sign to my back that says: Caution, Walking Disaster," she grumbled.

Seulgi looked over her shoulder and saw that Irene was already asleep. Guess I'll have to continue my complaining tomorrow.

She thought about walking over to ask the Champion about what she had overheard in the nurse's office but decided against it. It wasn't her place to pry, especially on a private conversation. But since Irene was asleep…

"Irene?" There was no response from the Champion, which she took as an invitation to continue. "Irene, you know it's okay to be sad about your partner. You feel hollow inside, as if something's been torn out. I…I should know, I lost a partner myself, long ago. It'll get better, I swear."

She jumped back in surprise when the covers shifted and a rather upset Irene growled at her. "Seulgi. Were you spying on my private conversation with the nurse earlier?"

Busted. "Uh…it's not my fault. I was in gym and then Taeyong was all aggressive, and then my ankle twisted and there's a gash over my eye and…yes. Yes I listened in."

Seulgi could tell that it was taking all of Irene's self-control not to leap out of bed and smack her. "You should know better than to listen in on private conversations."

"Are you going to kick me out again?"

Irene sighed heavily, looking like she was going to seriously consider the idea. "Moonbyul would likely kill me, she seems to have taken a liking to you. So no, I won't kick you out, but can you just….get out of here for a while? I need to be alone."

Well that's progress. Seulgi nodded, and grabbed her jacket, thankful that at least this time she had a bed to come back to. She could always rush through her homework during breakfast. As she reached for the doorknob, she turned around, "Irene, I apologize for intruding on your privacy like that, it won't happen again."

XXX

Seulgi looked up at the stars as she walked down the school's main road, past the outdoor arenas and contest stages. At least her roommate hadn't kicked her out again. She realized that spying had been wrong, but in her defense she thought the Champion was asleep. Oh well, the least I can do is give her some time.

Happy that she had made some progress with the prickly champion, she smiled. Small steps, Seulgi, small steps.

"Seulgi? What are you doing out here?" The brunette shook herself out of her thoughts about Irene and looked over to see Wendy jogging up to meet her. "Ice Princess didn't kick you out again, did she?"

Seulgi couldn't help but smile when she saw her friend’s angry expression. "No, she didn't kick me out. But I thought it would be good if I just gave her some alone time before I headed back."

Wendy's features softened and he fell into step next to the diva. "Good. If she had kicked you out, I would've gone to Moonbyul."

"I appreciate it Wendy, but I left on my own accord. Irene and I are…getting there. I never expected it to be easy."

They walked for a few moments in amicable silence, enjoying the chilly weather. "Hey, Seul, I have a question for you."

"What's on your mind?"

Wendy thought for a moment about what she wanted to ask her new friend. She already knew she was a hell of a Trainer, and tough despite all the recent injuries. Hell, she was even nice to people who didn't deserve her kindness. Wendy just wanted to get to know her better. "What made you decide to come to the Kalos Academy? I hear the one you went to in Alola was just as good."

Seulgi tilted her head, considering Wendy’s question. "I guess I wanted to experience something new. The Alola Academy was amazing, no question about that. But when I first stepped foot onto the Kalos grounds, something just clicked. It felt like I needed to be here. It hasn't been easy, with Irene and Taeyeong, but it's the others I've met, like you, Yeri, Joy, Moonbyul and Solar that have made it better."

Wendy grinned, and wrapped an arm around Seulgi's shoulders, bringing the taller girl in for a hug. "Good, glad I could make this place a little brighter. I haven't met many people who take me as I am, especially once they learn I'm the daughter of an Elite Four member. It's like they see the title and legacy I hold before they see me."

"Well all I see is someone I'm glad to call my first friend here at the Academy." Seulgi's phone buzzed and she looked at it to see a short message from Irene. "I should head back now, maybe I'll get a bit of my work done before I head to bed. Thank you for walking with me."

"Anytime, Seulgi, anytime. If Irene does give you any more trouble, don't hesitate to let me know. I may be short but so is she and I’m not afraid to kick her ." Wendy watched as Seulgi waved to her before heading back to her dorm. Reaching into her own jacket to check her phone, she decided to follow the other girl's lead and go back home.

Ooh, I hope Yeri saved me some of those nachos from dinner. I wonder if Seulgi likes nachos. Oh no. No. Bad Seungwan.

Seulgi's cute, and tough, and an awesome Trainer. I wonder where she met her Bewear, it's a massive Pokémon. Wait, we only just met. Do I really like her that much?

Wendy groaned and shuffled back to her room to beg Yeri for any leftover nachos. Great, I think I like Kang Seulgi.

XXX

Seulgi quietly opened the door and took off her jacket and shoes, padding softly to her loft and climbing into bed. Forget homework, she could always do it in the morning. She could hear Irene's soft breathing from below her and smiled.

She's kind of mean, but I can see th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter