Chapter 3: The Friendly Neighborhood Drunk Man

Say My Name

"Mom mom! Can I marry Yerin now?!"  Sinb asks her mom Sowon.

Her mom was speechless, not because her daughter might like the little devil too much - NO, but because she didn't expect her daughter to ask her hand in marriage this soon.

Sowon lowered herself to her daughters height then hugged her.

"Darling, you are still young. I don't want you to make a VERY bad choice just because this (Sowon pointed to yerin) this here tempted you. Especially when there are lots to choose from." Sowon turned Sinb so she won't see Yerin and asked, "Is this what you want for your future?"

"Uhmm. . . What do you mean mom?"

"This!" Sowon said.

"The trashcan?" Sinb asks

"She could also be that but I was talking about the empty parking lot." Sowon shrugs and Yerin kicks her from behind.

"See that! She kicked me baby. She's a bad person, a very very bad person." Sowon and Yerin made faces at each other then Sowon focused on enlightening her daughter once again. Yerin, however, was feeling somewhat insulted and amused by their conversation so she just stood there listening to them.

"But there's nothing in the parking lot mom." Sinb whines cause she just couldn't understand what her mom was saying.

"That's exactly it baby. There is NO future with her. So take that idea off your cute beautiful head and burn it to the ground. Now lets go eat your favorite cookies that your mom just baked."

Sowon carried Sinb and entered the house. Yerin was still debating on following them or not when she saw a child with bruised knee hopping up to her. She met her half way and glared at her.

"Why can't you just sit still if it still hurts?" Yerin scolded the younger girl.

Sinb just stretched both her arms open and waited for the other girl to carry her. Yerin didn't respond to her and just turned her face away. Sinb didn't wait anymore so she just hopped to the other girls back and jumped onto her. Yerin could only just hold onto her so she won't fall down after what she did.

Sinb hugged Yerins neck and said, "Don't be too sad. I'll marry you even if you're a trashcan."

"Yaaaaaaahhhhhh! I'll throw you down you little squirt!" Yerin shouted to the little girl behind her back.

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

 

SOWON'S POV

 


You know what's great about when your daughter is obsessed with your arch nemesis?

Me scanning the living room for any unusual occurance.

 

BLAG!

 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

 

 

 

She's here!

 

She's here!

 

She's here!

 

She's here!


I put my laptop down and rush to the kitchen where Eunha (my Eunbi and Sinb's mom) is. I pull her into the backyard and we stay low. I can hear my daughter chanting in her high pitch cute voice inside our home.

 

"Yerin's here!!!! Yerin's here! Yerin's here!"

 

 

 

Then there was total silence.

 


Nope she wasn't mistaken. Yerin is really here. She was just too excited to talk while waiting for the door to open, showing her beloved spawn of the devil.


This is one of the things I realized about my daughter. She just seems to know whenever Yerin is comming without notice or just whenever she is near.


"Why are we hiding again?" Eunha said

"Cause Yerin is here." I whispered to her while trying to see what was happening inside.

"Oh Good! I was actually planning to talk to her about something." My wife said and suddenly stood up but I pulled her back down and gestured for her to follow me. Like a kid, she forgot what she was planning to do and followed me around the side of the house then out of the front gate. We felt like teenage kids trying to hide from our parents to have a date. We felt so much alive that we just couldn't pass the chance to have an actual impromptu date.

 

 

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

 

Some Years Later

 

"What are you doing here?" Sowon asked yerin who was playing on her phone, sitting on the stool, while listening to the chattering Eunha who was currently baking a pan of brownies.

Yerin looked at the tall woman and shrugged her shoulders and with a happy voice said, "BROWNIES".

"And where's Sinb?" Sowon asks again

"She's with her friends."

"And you left her all alone?!"

"I said she's with her FRIENDSSSSSS." Yerin repeated her answer. Sometimes she just can't understand this woman. She can't seem to understand if she's a doting parent or she's a lousy one. 'Cause so far as she can remember, Sinb's been left in her care since she was a baby. And sowon seems to be mad at her if she doesn't keep watch on their daughter, I repeat, THEIR DAUGHTER!

 

Yerin's a ten year old girl currently juggling her studies, love life that this woman keeps on sabotaging and last but not the least, taking care of their daughter . . . . . . Finnnnnnnnne, their cute daughter.

 

 

"So?!" Sowon said

"So what?! Arent you supposed to take care of her? She's your daughter, if you might have forgotten."

"Stop being a lazy kid and go keep watch." She pushed yerin off the stool and she sat on it while sporting a smirk.

Yerin grumbled but she still walked out of the house and went to the playground which is a block away. She kept on chastising herself for stupidly doing what she was told but when she saw the said child, her complaints were replaced with concern about the girl who was climbing up on the monkey bars.

"What are you doing there? Get down now. Thats not a place for you." Automatically without Yerin realizing it, she acted like sinb's mom again like any other day that they were together.

"Sinbs mom is angry again. Run!" Said the other children while laughing.

"Yah! How many times do I have to tell you, I'm not her mom!" Yerin corrected, again -__-

"Yeah! She's my wife!" Sinb shouted on top of the monkey bars.

"Yah! You keep quiet! And get down from there!" Yerin shouted at the cute child with puffed up cheeks glaring at the other children.

"Hey! She said keep that a secret!" Sinb shouted to her friends while yerin just couldnt help but sigh on what the younger girl was talking about. The fluffball genes are really in her blood that's for sure.


They played the whole afternoon and one by one, the other children went home. Yerin and Sinb were the only ones left at the park.

Yerin, "We should also go home."

"But I still want to play." Sinb said

"Its already dark we should go home."

Yerin moved closer to sinb to get her so that they can go home but the younger child slipped off her grasp and run back to the monkey bars. Yerin runs after her and got a hold of her there.

"We need to go home Sinb. Its dangerous for a child to stay out at night. Someone might come and get you." Yerin said in an animated voice.

Sinb listened to Yerin not because what she was saying was important but because she just loves how the other girl talks, like everything is so colorful. After listening she giggles then pinches the older girls cheek which earned her a knuckle to her head.

"Yah! I said we should go home! And stop climbing that thing, you might fall down." Yerin

 "You should climb too eonni. Its so beautiful up there. Come on!" Sinb told her protesting companion.

Yerin was whinning but she still helped the other girl to hold on to the bars, always keeping watch on where she holds on or steps on. Scolding her every now and then when the younger one tries to play around while climbing.

"Eonni, come on! Its beautiful here!"

"Nah, I'll stay here in case you might fall down. I need to be ready to catch you whenever you fall." She said and just waited for her to come down. After some time, Sinb got bored looking at the older girl down below so she went down. Sinb likes it better if her eonni is beside her.

It was now past 7:30 in the evening and they were still at the park.

"I wonder when your mom would remember to call me asking where you are." Yerin said while looking at her silent phone. She was waiting for Sinb when she realized that sinb seemed to be talking to someone.

"Is it a ghost?!" Yerin thought to herself then turned around to see her talking to a tall unknown man in a Black long coat and also wearing a black hat like in the movies with spies, like those types of spies. Adrenaline rushed in Yerin's body and she run to the other girl. She pulled her behind her and backed off from the man, keeping the man in front of her to be sure to see whatever he might do next.

The man moved closer slowly and Yerins mind went in hyper mode. "Curse you Sowon!" Yerin said in her mind. Why could they not call to check on their daughter and curse herself because she gave in to Sinb's request to stay longer.

"What do you want?" Yerin asked the man.

"She just reminded me of my daughter. I just want to offer her an ice cream if she wants one." The man said. The man's voice sounded sincere but she could never take chances. Suddenly Sinb went infront of yerin and beemed at the man.

"Yeah, I love ice cream!" Sinb said

Yerin facepalmed herself and turned sinb to face her and started to lecture her about LIFE.

"You cant just accept anything that is being offered to you. That's dangerous!" Yerin started

"Mommy Eunha said that giving is good." Sinb reasoned out.

"Not everyone is a nice person Sinb. You need to choose who to mingle with." Yerin said with her arms showing an X sign.

"Mommy Eunha said that everyone is a friend so we should be good to them." Sinb reiterated what her mom said.

"Your mommy Eunha is a fluffball and fluffballs should not be taken seriously. You should listen to your mommy Sowon." Yerin said

"Mommy Sowon always says that Mommy Eunha is always right." Sinb said again

Yerin's patience is dangerously getting close to none.

"Erase what I said. Never listen to both of your mothers cause I'm the one taking care of you. Repeat after me, Never accept anything from strangers."

"Even if its ice cream?" Pouting sinb asked

"Especially when its ice cream."

"Ok."

"Good, now say it." Yerin ordered

"I wont accept anything that a stranger offers, especially when it is ice cream." Sinb said with a sad voice.

"What a nice kid." A voice cut through our conversation. Then did they just remember the man in the coat smilling at them.

"Sinb repeat after me, do not get close to any man especially the drunk men like him." Yerin pointed to the man who was apparently drunk.

"Are you drunk Mr. Man?" Sinb innocently asks the stranger.

"I said do not talk to him." Yerin said

"But you said not to get close. I did not get close." The young Sinb says again

"The first rule should be do not talk to strangers young lady." The man told sinb while crouched down.

"And why is that Mr. Man?" Sinb asks again.

"Because like your friend here said, there are lots of bad people around us. You can never tell what they are thinking. For example, I might be a bad guy and I might be planning to take you away. . Rour!" The man annimatedly said to the younger child. Yerin pulled sinb backwards while the other girl giggled.

"Why are you laughing?" Yerin asks her

"Because he sounded like you. And I like you." Sinb said

"You look so cute together, are you sisters?" The man asks

"Dont answer that." Yerin told Sinb but the latter already said her piece, "She's my wife!" Sinb beaming with all her heart.

Frustrated Yerin went into another bout of lecture in LIFE. Talking about what Sinb should do, what she shouldn't do, What she should avoid, what she should not say and other things more.

The man apparently ammused by them, stayed with them throughout the session and even sharring important tips too.

"What about. . . ." Sinb could not continue her question because Yerin remembered the time and its already more than an hour since they planned to go home.

Yerin stood up, took sinb's hand and started to walk home. Before leaving, Sinb said goodbye to the man and the man said fairwell too. Yerin was still skeptical about the man but she still gave a nod to him as a saying of goodbye. The man smiled at her and gave her a salute. Yerin rolled her eyes at him then started to run so that the man won't have a chance to catch up to them and so that he won't know where they live.

The next day, Sinb was riding their car going to the mall with her mom, she looked at the park which they were passing by and did not see the man. She thought, maybe the man was a ghost and he just appears when it is dark. That was her thought throughout the day.