Hufflepuff vs. Ravenclaw

I Just Fell [DISCONTINUED]

“Ready?” Sana was grinning. Her light hair shone. 

Dahyun really loved her hair like that. Dark brown suited her, naturally, but the blonde was also an incredible fit. She was curious to see how pink would look. 

“Yep,” Dahyun smiled, “but it does look like there’ll be bad weather.” She didn’t know how Allison would manage. Surely better than her with the rain. 

When Allison had asked her for help in the past weeks, much of what Dahyun could say just involved not looking at the seeker, the beaters, and definitely not the score. Self-explanatory, but Dahyun had forgotten that in her first matches. 

“Come on.” Sana gently pulled on her arm. “The others went ahead to find a spot. Ideally by the goal posts? Your one.”

“There’s the quidditch captain in you,” Dahyun let herself be pulled outside. 

“It never leaves.” Sana let go. “Guess you can’t use your nice blanket?”

“We technically could,” she replied. “Like you can charm goggles to repel water. I could do it, but it feels weird.” She dug in her bag and pulled out a jar. “But I can still keep us all warm.” 

Sana didn’t say anything, but she smiled. 

“What’s that look on your face?” Dahyun put the jar back in her bag. 

“Nothing." The smile grew. 

“Now that’s not fair.” She elbowed the Slytherin. 

Sana pouted, rubbing her arm. “Fine,” she sighed. “i was gonna say you’re cute.”

“Really?” Dahyun felt the warmth rise up her neck. A just a tiny comment. 

“It’s still true,” she laughed, “but no.” A small pause. “You always know how to make everyone comfortable and happy.” She glanced at her. “It’s great.” 

Dahyun’s blush strengthened. How was she supposed to respond to that? 

She spent a good few minutes trying to figure out what to say. The words meant so much for her to hear. They told her she was doing something right. Even if everything else seemed to go to at every turn. 

“Thank you,” Dahyun whispered. 

“Hm?” Sana fell into step beside her. Her eyes sparkled with a smile that hadn’t appeared yet. It was an image that was otherwise very simple, but Dahyun was almost in awe. Sana was beautiful 

Then the first drops of rain came along. Dahyun opened her umbrella and grabbed Sana’s arm. She was wearing a thick jacket. She didn’t know wizards wore down. 

“Come here,” Dahyun said, angling it her way. 

Sana looked up. “Already bright yellow?” She closed the distance between them. 

“Of course!” Dahyun said. “I’m pulling out all the stocks. 

“And proving my point.” Sana nudged her shoulder. 

“About?” They were going down the hill now. 

“The umbrella,” she said. “You’re not letting me get soaked and the colour’s as bright as it could be.” She laughed. 

“Dahyun fought a smile. “So what you’re saying is,” she started, “you’re comfortable and happy?” 

Sana nodded. 

The stadium was coming into view. 

“Decided if you’re going to Hogsmeade yet?” Sana asked. 

“Yeah,” Dahyun said. “I’m not ready.” It surprised her how easily she could say that. 

“Can I stay with you?” 

She looked at Sana. “Uh, sure thing,” she said. “But don’t you want to go shopping? There’s a bunch of cool sales and new stocks coming out.” 

Sana pouted. “So you don’t want me there?” 

“I don’t wanna hold you back from finally getting out of school, but,” Dahyun shook her head, “I’d love it if you were there.”

The Slytherin was silent. She stared down at her. Dahyun had no idea what it was. Was Sana thinking it over? Did she feel bad about saying no? 

Dahyun then added, maybe a bit hastily, “but don’t feel the need to stay! I’ve got everything handled here. Maybe I’ll even take a nap tomorrow.” 

“I’ll stay with you,” Sana said. Then mouth opened, then closed. Twice. “Keep you company and stuff, make sure you take the breaks you probably never take.” Her eyes moved forward as they walked towards the stairs to the stands. . 

Dahyun unlinked their arms so she could close the umbrella. She’d open it again when they were up. Granted there was no wind. She really liked the umbrella. 

“You sure you’re not just saying that?” Dahyun asked. “I can be alone in school, you know.” 

“I know,” Sana replied. “But I’m staying.” 

Something about her tone made Dahyun stop before going up the steps. 

“And it’s not because you’ll be alone,” the Slytherin smiled at her, “but because I wanna stay.” 

Dahyun returned the smile. “Alright.” 

They made it to the Hufflepuff goal posts where the three were waiting. Momo sat on one side, then Nayeon and Mina. 

Dahyun moved to where Mina sat. She didn’t want to interfere with anything between a certain Gryffindor and Slytherin. 

“Good morning,” she said as she sat down. 

“Hey.” Mina gave her a gummy smile. She was rubbing her arms already. 

Dahyun made a bluebell flame and placed it in the jar. She set it on its side so the rain wouldn’t flow into it. 

“Better?” 

“Much!” Nayeon said. “Momo was saying we had to wait until you came. Apparently she always melts the glass.”

Dahyun chuckled. “It was just a few times.” 

“Exactly!” Momo cried. 

“Liquid glass really does a number on your robes,” she elbowed Mina, “doesn’t look too good for your hair either.”

Momo pouted as the others laughed. “Did we have to tell everyone?” 

“There’re plenty of stories each of us can share,” Sana said. “Which we should,” she murmured to Dahyun, “tonight.”

Dahyun felt the blood rise to her cheeks once again. The words shouldn’t have even caused that kind of reaction. 

Then the team were on the pitch and the game started. Allison was at her position. As she should have, she wasn’t looking around at the rest, just at where the quaffle was. Dahyun was tempted to shout words of encouragement, but at this stage, she didn’t want to break her concentration. 

“Sana!” A new voice rose above the sound of rain and cheers. 

Dahyun turned to see Eunha rushing down the stands. 

“Hey,” she grinned at Dahyun, “loving the house spirit.” She waved a hand to the others. 

Dahyun laughed. “I converted everyone but one!” She elbowed Mina lightly. 

“Just you wait,” Eunha sat down beside Sana, “we’ll get her on our side.” 

Mina just rolled her eyes. “I thought Hufflepuffs value loyalty,” she muttered. 

Dahyun laughed again. “Touché.” 

The first goal was scored. Allison had almost gotten it, but Wheein had been too fast. Of course. Dahyun always got a small surge of panic whenever she was up against the Ravenclaw’s main chaser. 

Beside her, she vaguely heard Sana and Eunha chatting away about something. A part of her wanted to listen, but she knew that wouldn’t help anything. She tuned them out. She also wanted to focus on the match. 

Jihyo had scored twice and was well on her way to scoring another. Then the bludger caught her in the back. 

Dahyun tensed. 

“Ouch!” Eric cried. “Park loses the ball, Terry seizes it, passes it to Jung who passes it to Ha. She shoots!” Then he groaned. “Oakes blocks it—I mean, great save by Oakes! She’s doing great at this.” 

He’d no doubt been slapped on the head for his reaction. Dahyun couldn’t really blame him. All announcers for their quidditch games were biased in some way. 

Dahyun cheered for Allison, knowing she was probably outrageously loud. She’d come out from under the umbrella, waving her arms with two thumbs up. 

Yet the Hufflepuff keeper looked over with a shy smile. Then she turned her attention back on the match. 

“You sound like a proud mother,” Mina said when Dahyun sat down again. Sana and Eunha had the yellow umbrella, so Dahyun was under Mina’s black one. 

She nodded. “I am proud.” She was slightly soaked. 

The score was 60:30. Ravenclaw was in the lead, but Allison had still made some good saves. That was what mattered here. 

“So,” Dahyun drew out the word, “what’s Chaeng been doing?” 

Mina whipped her head to the side. “What do you mean?”

She could only smile. “Well, you did bet money on Ravenclaw. That’s got nothing to do with your support of their seeker?” 

The Slytherin glanced at the pitch. Her eyes went up above the stands where both seekers circled. “Fine,” a sigh, “she’s made two fake grabs for it. Lisa fell for the second one.” 

“Ah ha,” Nayeon leaned forward, a broad smile on her face, “so you were watching.” 

Just then, the Hufflepuff seeker spotted Dahyun and blew her a kiss. She laughed and blew one back. 

It was 80:50. 

“So you went back to blonde?” Dahyun heard Eunha ask. “It looks good on you.”

She wasn’t so dumb that she didn’t recognise the tone. It was almost annoying, though she had nothing against Eunha. She was a good friend. They were usually in the same study groups. She also took Ancient Runes, making them one of the many minorities in the school. 

But right now, Dahyun wished the girl hadn’t come over to them. 

Sana chuckled. “You should be complimenting the artist.” 

There was a poke at her side. 

Dahyun looked over. Sana smiled at her, still holding the yellow umbrella above her and the other Hufflepuff. 

She swallowed her jealousy. “Artist?” 

Eunha nodded. “It’s really cool. You do that a lot with the black at the roots,” she said. “Is that a muggle thing?”

Dahyun smiled. Wizards really could be oblivious. “Yep. There they dye their hair. It doesn’t just stay in.” 

Sana frowned. “They don’t just put it back in?” 

“Not that easy,” Dahyun replied. “Your hair grows out, showing at the roots, the colour fades, and its overall not great for you.” She was glad to have illusions for that. Otherwise her scalp would’ve been in big trouble. 

Eunha’s brow raised. “No wonder you guys made that spell.” Then she turned back to Sana. “You’re coming to the party tonight, right?”

Dahyun looked back at the pitch. 

The rain was pouring down harder.

120:70. If Lisa caught the snitch, they’d be fine, but they were steadily falling behind.  

“Nervous?” Mina nudged her with her shoulder. 

“Not at all,” Dahyun got to her feet, “but I’m gonna go for moral support.” 

“Without an umbrella?” 

“Probably not for too long,” she replied. “Plus I’ve got a hood.” She put it up.

The walk down got her a couple of looks, but she couldn’t still. Especially not back there. Who would have thought she'd be uncomfortable among those Slytherins (plus a Gryffindor, and another Hufflepuff)?

The next goal was scored by Wheein. She could see it getting to Allison. Her shoulders were drooped. 

Dahyun put down her hood. “We’re still fine! Just keep focusing on the ball!” she yelled over the rain and other cheers. “You’ve been doing so great already!” 

It really was cold today. Dahyun hugged her arms. 

“Park scores the next one!” Eric’s voice blared out across the stands. “She’s really on a roll today, but will it be enough?”

Dahyun caught a fast movement above her. Blue robes being chased by yellow. Neither stopped. Chaeyoung had seen the snitch. 

She was caught between the urge to cheer and sigh. 

“Son’s caught the snitch!” Eric roared. “Ravenclaw wins. 300 to 100!” 

Then the rain on Dahyun’s head stopped. A yellow umbrella was above her. 

“Aren’t you supposed to avoid more trips to the Hospital Wing?” Sana asked. 

“A cold won’t get me there,” Dahyun replied. 

“Sure,” she patted her head, “you got a little something there.” She poked her cheek. “And here.” 

“Dahyun-ah!” Lisa was in front of them, also thoroughly soaked. “I’m so sorry I lost.”

“Don’t apologise to me!” Dahyun protested. “It happens.” 

She bit her lip. “Anyway, can you come with? We’re doing a cheer up for Allison.” 

“I’ll be right down.” Dahyun turned.

“Come on up, we’ll be faster.” Lisa had landed, and was patting the spot behind her. 

Dahyun looked to Sana who wore an unreadable expression. “Keep the umbrella,” she said. “I’ll see you at the party?” She got on the broom behind Lisa, securing her arms around her. She didn't want her next injury to be falling from a broom. 

“See you,” Sana said quietly. 

Then they were off. 

“She looks more bummed than I am at the match,” Lisa chuckled, “but we made up our minds. More practices are coming up.” She dove down the pitch. Dahyun was relieved to feel some of the speed of the broom. It felt so much better if she wasn’t dizzy. “You ready to join yet?” 

“I will be.” She had to. Things were healing. And the threat, hopefully, was put on pause for a while. "How're things with Jennie?"

Lisa was quiet for a moment. "I think she's interested in someone else." 

Not too long ago, Dahyun had thought Lisa was interested in someone else. She couldn't have been more wrong. "I doubt it."

"You're just saying that." She angled the broom upwards as they landed. 

"Nope," Dahyun said. 

"Well she's never showed me that," Lisa huffed, wiping rain from her eyes. 

"Maybe she just needs a prompt?" she suggested. "I'd say you just go up to her and tell her, but," she trailed off as they ran to get somewhere dry. 

"Not gonna happen." 

Dahyun laughed. "Thought so." 

Lisa crossed her arms. "Does it make me a bad person if I try making her jealous?"

"Just as long as the person you're doing everything with knows you're not interested in them." 

Her eyes lit up. "Wanna help me?"

Dahyun winked. "Ouch." 

"That's not what I mean," she linked their arms, "but you'd know I'm not doing anything. And it's just for a little bit? I won't even overdo it." 

"If Jennie gets mad at me, I blame you." 

"She won't," Lisa said immediately. "She's not petty." 

Dahyun saw then that Lisa's feelings was a little more than a crush. "Alright then."

"Do you think it'll work?" They were still outside of the changing rooms. Dahyun could hear the voices of Jihyo and Joshua as they reassured Allison. 

Dahyun nodded. "Her friends'll probably notice if it's working. Ask them if you want," she said. "But I think it will." Jealousy could be very effective, even if the person wasn't immediately aware of their feelings at first. "Let's go to Allison." She pushed open the door. The first thing she did was give Allison a tight hug. 

_______

“Where’d Dahyun go?” Nayeon asked. Her arms were linked with Momo’s as they stood beneath an umbrella. 

“On a broom with Lisa,” Sana closed the umbrella, feeling the rain wet her hair until she joined Mina, “the sub keeper’s feeling bad about the match.” 

Mina slipped an arm through hers. “Well, what do we do now?” 

“You don’t wanna congratulate the successful seeker?” 

“We can do that at the party,” Mina said, a blush colouring her cheeks. “Have you and Dahyun discussed this?” 

“What?” Sana wondered if she’d been that obvious during the match. 

“You both asked me about Chaeyoung, as if you’re on the same sort of brainwave or whatever muggles call it,” Mina sniffed, “you make a very good team.” 

Sana grinned at that. “We both have a point.” 

She sighed. “Shush. Or I’ll leave you without an umbrella.”

Sana pulled her closer. “No you won’t.” 

Another sigh. "Only because it’s wet and I don’t want you to land in the Hospital Wing again.”

“I said the same thing to her.” 

A small silence. 

“You sure you’re down because of the match?” Nayeon asked. “Or because she flew away with someone?” 

Sana glanced at the couple beside them. “I,” she started. 

“Don’t even try to deny it,” Momo smirked, “I saw it in your eyes when you came up to us.”

“Your shoulders were slumped and you basically poured,” Nayeon added. 

Sana stuck out her tongue. “Shut up or I’ll turn your hair yellow.” 

“Like she did for you?” Both waggled their eyebrows. 

Sana drew out her wand. “You’re testing me.” 

“Do one of us,” Momo smiled, “I’ll volunteer.” 

Beside her, Nayeon frowned. “You’ve never gone blonde in your life.” 

Sana waved her wand and Momo’s brown hair turned blonde. 

Nayeon’s eyes widened. 

Momo was looking at her, confusion apparent in her eyes. “That bad?”

As if, Sana thought. Momo was a good blonde. 

“Um,” Nayeon looked away, “no, it’s fine.” Sana couldn't see it, but she was sure her skin was turning red. 

“Mirror?” Momo looked to Mina and Sana. 

Sana made a small one appear in front of her. 

She grabbed it and shrugged. “I think I look hot.” 

“I never said you didn’t,” Nayeon replied. Pretty quickly. Then she closed her eyes, definitely cursing herself. 

Mina and Sana laughed beneath their umbrella all the way back to the school. Nayeon and Momo were both oddly silent. 

____

Chaeyoung sighed. She’d lost another game of Exploding Snap. Not for the first time, her sleeve was burning. 

“Stop staring at it,” Dahyun laughed, whipping out her wand, “it’ll just get worse.” Without a word, she extinguished the flames. 

“We’d do better if you were as good as you are at charms.” Chaeyoung handed over two sickles. 

She just smiled. “You’ll have to choose another teammate.” She nodded to the Slytherins. “I have an idea for who your buddy should be.”

Her face flushed. It shouldn’t have affected her so easily. “Not happening”

Dahyun gave her a look. “I heard she bet for Ravenclaw. And she was focusing a lot on the seekers.” 

“Great,” Chaeyoung groaned, “so she saw me almost slip off my broom a couple times.”

Her brow rose. “What?” She'd been so focused on Allison that she hadn't paid much attention to anything else. 

“Nevermind.” She straightened. “I’ll go?” 

Dahyun grinned before nodding. 

“You’re coming with me.” Chaeyoung grabbed her wrist.

“Wait,” Dahyun started, but she’d already been dragged over. 

Chaeyoung smiled. She had a buddy in mind for Dahyun too. 

Mina looked up at them and broke into a breathtaking smile. “Great job on your win!” Her eyes slid to Dahyun. “Better luck next time?”

Dahyun stuck out her tongue. “We’ll wipe the floor with Gryffindor.”

Sana’s brow rose then. “Right, and then you’re playing us next.” 

She shrugged with her hands. "The same thing'll probably happen." 

“Can’t wait.” Hwasa gave her a wink, her arms having probably let go of Wheein once today. Chaeyoung was pretty sure it had something to do with the bludger that’d hit her in the shoulder today. 

“Come on,” Nayeon waved an arm, “sit.” She then scooted over, leaving a very obvious spot next to Sana.

Chaeyoung lightly pushed Dahyun in that direction before sitting down beside Mina. A spot had also been opened there. It was starting to look like people were working behind the scenes here. 

“What are you doing?” Dahyun asked, looking at the table. “Another wizard game?”

“You don’t know it?” Jennie looked incredulous. Then her brow rose. “Sorry, right." At the very least, she looked apologetic. 

Dahyun didn’t skip a beat. “No worries.” But Chaeyoung could see a little hesitance there. All things considered, it struck a nerve. 

She knew Jennie didn’t mean it like that, but blood had always been a sensitive topic. Especially if it was supposed to not make any difference, but it still did. And Dahyun had been shown that before. A few times too many. Especially this year. And those reminders had been horrible. 

“So teach us,” the Hufflepuff leaned forward, eyes filled with interest, “it looks weird.”

Chaeyoung saw Sana frown. She looked at Dahyun, an edge of concern to her eyes. Dahyun didn’t notice, but Chaeyoung knew she’d hate seeing that look. Chaeyoung was actually happy to see it. It meant that Sana was conscious of that stuff and didn't just ignore it. 

The game was pretty straightforward. Different spells being cast at the right time in the right sequence. And there was drinking added to it. 

“We can’t,” Sana said. “Selen’s orders.” Her hand was on the sofa, near to Dahyun’s leg, as though she wanted to reach out and hold her hand. 

“Tired?” Mina asked, breaking Chaeyoung from her thoughts. “I’m surprised you don’t all come down with colds.”

Chaeyoung shook her head. “Selen makes sure we take something right after the match against that.” 

“Are you sure you can drink then?” 

"Not get drunk," she replied. "But Selen always says that." She also didn't like drinking too much. She never liked the way she lost control over how the way she walked or how she spoke. And if Mina was next to her, she had to avoid a dumb tongue at all costs. 

In that moment, the block of wood on the table burst into flames. Then it was doused by water in the next second. Someone laughed. You were supposed to make the flame bigger. 

Jackson sighed and drank. 

“Dubu!” Lisa had come over, she set her hands on Dahyun’s shoulders. “We need you.” She leaned her head on the top of Dahyun’s. “We’re gonna get the win we should’ve gotten.”

“At?” Dahyun placed her hands over Lisa’s. “Because I’m not good at a lot of this.”

“You’re great at moral support,” she hauled her up, “so we need you.” With that, she dragged Dahyun away. 

“And so the jealousy begins,” Mina whispered. “Look at Jennie too.” 

Said girl was looking after the Hufflepuffs, her typical cold expression was like ice now. Sana just looked dejected. 

She knew that Lisa and Dahyun were close, but also that Lisa was just touchy. And Chaeyoung suspected she’d been crushing on Jennie for a while. She was pretty sure this was a little ploy on her part, Dahyun might’ve been in on it, because she’d been fancying herself a matchmaker lately. Little did she know that everyone else was trying to be one for her. 

The game continued, until someone’s eyebrows got singed, a glass exploded, and the next object, a frisbee (something Chaeyoung had summoned to throw off the rest), had been transfigured into a a very angry pigeon. That last one was the sign they had to stop. 

Chaeyoung leaned back on the comfortable Ravenclaw cushions, sighing in relief now that the pigeon was once again a simple frisbee. A few of the rest dispersed, leaving Jennie, Sana, and Nayeon. The former two still looked put out. The Hufflepuff team were cheering on Allison. What she was doing, Chaeyoung wasn’t sure, but it was probably helping to boost her confidence. 

She saw Mina looking around, slightly bored. 

Then she got an idea. “Wanna see the view from the tower?” Chaeyoung asked. “Exclusive to Ravenclaws.” She got to her feet. 

“Exclusive?” Mina repeated, but she stood as well. 

“Come on.” Chaeyoung grabbed her hand, ignoring the winks and looks the Slytherin girls were giving Mina. They went up the stairs. “Honorary Ravenclaws are included.” She tapped her hand on both of Mina’s shoulders. “It’s official. You're in the club.”

She laughed softly. “What was that?” 

“Technically, I just knighted you. Made you Sir Mina and all,” Chaeyoung felt a blush coming again, “but this is my invention of letting you see this.” She kept going up the stairs until they passed several doors. The last one was the one she opened. The cold air rushed in. 

Thankfully, there was no couple up here. It also wasn’t raining. Perfect. 

“I came up here a lot in the first few years,” Chaeyoung said. “A lot of the time I had to come right back down, but I figured out the times when no one was here.”

“So the door is always open?” Mina frowned. 

She conjured up a ping-pong ball and threw it at the place above the balcony. It bounced back. “There’s a barrier.” 

The Slytherin visibly relaxed. “Good,” she said, as they walked towards the edge. “Same for the Astronomy tower. And I’m quite sure we have something in the dungeons so that the mermen, the squid, or dumb students don’t break it down.”

“Do you see a lot of stuff in those windows?” 

Mina nodded. “Sometimes it gets really spooky. I’ve seen things that aren’t in Hogwarts: A History say. Other books talk about stuff I’ve never seen,” she shuddered, “and never want to see.” 

Chaeyoung wanted to go down to the Slytherin common room now. She’d seen hints of the giant squid before, but never it in its entirety. She wanted to draw it. 

“I think I know that look,” she laughed, “don’t go diving to see them.” 

Chaeyoung raised her hands. “Wasn’t planning on it, honest.”

Mina gave her a look. “You looked like you wanted to go straight to the lake now.”

She shrugged. “Might do that in the spring. They say the creatures at the bottom are a little nicer then.”

The green-clad girl sat down cross-legged in front of the balcony. “It’s beautiful,” she murmured. 

It was dark, but there was still some sort of glow over the Hogwarts grounds. Out here, probably because there was so little use of cars and electricity here, there were swathes of stars that showed through the clouds above them. It was quiet, save for the faint music and cheers from the party. It was also pretty windy. 

Chaeyoung summoned a bluebell flame, letting it hover in front of them. She sat down beside her. Their knees brushed together. 

“Put it in here?” Mina took out her wand and a glass bowl appeared. “I don’t want my first visit here to end in flames.” Her gums appeared when she smiled.

Illuminated by the blue light, Chaeyoung was momentarily starstruck. 

“Uh yeah,” she put the flame in, “me neither.” 

They sat there for a bit, enjoying the view from one of the tallest points of Hogwarts. 

The silence made Chaeyoung both restless and calm. She wanted to say something to avoid being boring company, but she also didn’t. Mina wasn’t filling the silence with small talk. Every time Chaeyoung peeked over, her eyes were searching the outside world, half wide with awe. There was a small smile on her face, as if she were happy staying there forever. 

To her relief, Mina broke the silence first. “Thank you for bringing me up here,” she said. “It must be amazing at sunrise and sunset too.” 

Chaeyoung nodded. “It’s amazing. Almost every time I come here it’s different.” With the weather here, it was almost always cloudy. And unless the clouds covered the sky completely, there was always something different with how the clouds arranged themselves there.

“I'm pretty sure you've recreated the view?” Mina shuffled so that she faced Chaeyoung fully. 

It was weird having the girl’s undivided attention on her, but she couldn’t say she disliked it. 

“Tried to,” she admitted. “With a modified camera or magical paint, you can do what videos only dream of.” She’d been able to catch how the rising or falling sun changed.

Some of her best work had been from the Ravenclaw tower. She almost wondered if Rowena Ravenclaw had intended it for the artists of her house. With the way the tower looked in certain places, especially stone carvings, Chaeyoung was sure she’d been an artist.

“Those are the moving and speaking pictures, right?” Mina asked. “But they work without magic? I saw that stuff in the TVs when I was in London.” Her eyes lit up. 

“Yep, those.” Chaeyoung had to smile. Mina only saw that when she visited, but Chaeyoung had seen it all the time. 

Then Mina frowned. “You probably think we’re all idiots sometimes, right?”

“Idiots?” Chaeyoung repeated. “Maybe uninformed and all that, but not dumb.” She frowned. “Why would you say that?”

“I try to keep it down, but I don’t have a lot of tact I think.” She sighed. “There’ll be things I say, but Tzuyu just has no idea what I’m getting at and for a moment, I’ll be surprised, then remember the different worlds we come from.” 

“And how does that make you an idiot? It’s not even insensitive,” Chaeyoung said. “I mean, I say things all the time where you purebloods are pretty confused.” She chuckled slightly. “Last week I made a Game of Thrones reference and no one recognised it in my class.” Granted, it'd been a small class, but the reference had been so broad. Even a half-blood should’ve known. 

“I think Dahyun was debating that with Tzuyu a few times?” Mina tilted her head. “It’s something with dragons and swords.”

“Exactly that,” she laughed, “I’m pretty sure they were talking about the last season?” Then she added, “last part of the story.”

A nod. “Dahyun was alright with it, Tzuyu hated it, and a few of the rest around them took sides.” Her brow rose. “They got pretty passionate about it.”

“So,” Chaeyoung spread her hands, “aren’t we pretty daft for leaving the rest of you out for it?”

“Well,” she bit her lip, “no.”

“Exactly. It’s not bad if you forget we don’t know as much as you do.” What was she gonna say next? That you shouldn’t be a about it? Maybe without the language. “What I hate is when I’m quizzed about stuff I’m not gonna know. I had a professor, he’s gone, thank Merlin, but he kept asking Dahyun and me about Harry Potter and Voldemort.” She still remembered being mortified at being put on the spot in front of so many strangers, and essentially being mocked by a teacher. "We were lucky we knew a couple of things, but he started asking us about what Godric's Hollow was and who the Marauders were." 

Something in Mina’s eyes had hardened. “Was that Professor Avery?”

“The one and only,” Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, “an absolute .” She let out a laugh. “I might have learned a lot of new spells in those years, so I guess he was good for something.” Her and Dahyun had either snuck in or gotten one of their house leaders to write them a note to get in to the Restricted Section. Once or twice, but they’d poured over as many books as they could without getting caught.

To this day, Chaeyoung was convinced they’d been their own Charms teachers for the first two years at Hogwarts. 

Her gaze softened. “Were you the one who made his birds sing those Korean songs?” 

“Those Korean songs are classic K-pop,” Chaeyoung grinned, “when you’re next in a muggle place, or even on the internet, you should check it out.” 

“I might,” Mina nodded, “though I have to say I always liked the classical as well.” 

She chuckled. “Of course you would.”

“Of course?” The corner of her lip tugged up. 

“You’re posh, remember? Classical music really fits in there.” 

Mina laughed. “I’m slowly becoming a stereotype, aren’t I?”

“It’s not a bad thing,” Chaeyoung shrugged, “wizards may not say Ravenclaws are the artistic type, but when I’m like I am at home, everyone would say I’m a hipster.” 

“A what?” She looked completely perplexed. 

“Artsy, I guess? Weird in a non-terrible way, but some people don’t like those types of people.” It was like she was googling for an official definition. “And those people dress weird, or so they say.”

“And what would they say to our clothes?” 

“You wouldn’t be hipsters, but people’d definitely say you’re weird.” Chaeyoung didn’t even know what they’d say if someone wore the pointed hat. 

Her gummy smile appeared. “On equal footing then.” 

Then the door opened. It was Luke and Isabelle, both flushed. 

“Oh!” Isabelle’s eyes widened. “Were we interrupting something?”

Mina and Chaeyoung both got to their feet. 

“No,” both said. As if acting as the same person, they rushed for the door. 

Chaeyoung fought the urge to lock the door behind them. 

“We left the bowl of fire there,” Mina sighed, “too cozy.” 

“With any luck, it’ll start raining,” Chaeyoung patted her arm, “because the barrier does not keep that out.”

Another one of her beautiful smiles. It made Chaeyoung irrationally happy to be on the receiving end. 

Then Mina sighed, her eyes going to the floor. “I feel bad saying it like this, because I’m not the one who was on the pitch, but,” she trailed off. 

“You’re tired?” Chaeyoung realised then how much she was as well. It was perfect really, she could go straight to the dorm and crash. But she also didn’t want to go, at least not if Mina was staying. 

“You’re going to Hogsmeade, right?” Mina asked. “Sana’s staying, probably because of you-know-who,” then she sighed, “sorry, poor phrasing.” 

It was a fleeting thought, but Chaeyoung remembered that Mina had probably only heard distant stories of the Second Wizarding War. A bit more than she had, but still not that much. She wondered how the different countries had seen it. She’d have to ask her another time. 

“No problem,” Chaeyoung said. “But yeah, I’m going.” 

“Want to go together?” Then she added hastily, “if you wanna split up afterwards, that’s perfectly fine. I bet you’ll want to see the Weasley’s stuff, but, I, well—”

“You’re not interested in what they’ll have?” Chaeyoung raised her brow. 

“I didn’t say that,” Mina shot back, a glint in her eyes. 

“Then we’ll go there together,” she said. “Just come to the Ravenclaw table or wherever we are then.” 

The full smile came again. “Great.” Her cheeks were slightly pink. “Thanks again for taking me with you up here,” she said. “It’s a great spot.” 

“Anytime,” Chaeyoung replied. She meant it too. There were a lot of times when she wanted to gush about what she saw with words instead of pictures and she wanted Mina see how gorgeous Hogwarts could really get. 

The smile grew. “Well,” Mina leaned forward and pressed a sweet kiss to Chaeyoung’s cheek, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” 

“See you.” Chaeyoung's voice sounded hopelessly small to her ears. “Have, um, have a good night.” It sounded more like a question than anything. She hoped Mina would get going soon or she’d really make a fool of herself. 

Mina waved, an graceful gesture in and of itself, before going down the stairs. 

Chaeyoung stood there for a good three minutes. Her heart rate had doubled and her mind was working at twice that speed. Could she count this as a date? Could she count that kiss as a move Mina made? Was she delusional for thinking into any of this? 

She hurried to her room then. Whatever it was, she was grinning wildly. 

____

Sana had counted the times Lisa had kept her hands to herself. It was a lot less than the amount of times that she hadn’t. 

Sana wouldn’t have cared if Jihyo did that. She wouldn’t have bothered at all if Jisoo had slung an arm around her for the entire game. Same for Joshua or Allison. She felt bad, but something about the way Lisa hung around Dahyun rubbed her the wrong way. Completely. 

“Don’t start burning a hole in her head,” Momo murmured, leaning a head on her shoulder. She was exhausted. She hadn't drunk much either. Something was bothering her. 

“I’m not,” Sana grumbled. Then she realised her tone. 

Momo gave her a teasing grin to rub it in. 

“Not a word,” she leaned her head back, looking at the ceiling, “we’re not going there.” They were speaking Japanese. Thank Merlin.

“I think we’re already there, Satang.” Momo chuckled. “You didn’t like her flying off today with Lisa. That’s kinda your thing. And you’d like to be having fun with her and—”

Sana covered . “I said not a word. And not here.” 

The Gryffindor just winked. 

Sana took her hand away and sighed. It wasn’t as if she’d hidden her feelings from her friends. They’d known before she had. It was infuriating not being able to say anything about it to the person the feelings were directed at. It was so easy if she was interested in another. She could walk right up to them, flirting as much as she wanted to, making that interest known. But she couldn’t do it with Dahyun. And the excuse of timing actually didn’t matter. She hadn’t been able to do it before and if she’d said something, Dahyun wasn’t exactly acknowledging that. Sana didn’t know if it was because she was oblivious or that she just didn’t want to acknowledge that. 

You were never a target.

Then what was I? 

Sana had answered that question. Or at least she thought she had. Maybe not well enough? 

“You should tell her the truth,” Momo said then. “Don’t dance around it expecting her to figure it out, because she won’t.” Her eyes softened, no longer as teasing. “She’s got a lot of other stuff in her head right now.” 

“Which is exactly why I shouldn’t say anything right now,” Sana replied. “It’s not fair.” 

“Why isn’t it fair?” She looked at her, a frown growing on her face. “It’s better than if you’re hiding what you’re feeling.” 

Sana squinted at her. “Are you sure you’re right one to talk to me about this?” She nodded in the direction of Nayeon. 

Momo bit her lip. “That’s—”

“It’s not different,” she elbowed her, “it’s actually even better.” Because Sana knew exactly that Nayeon liked Momo back. 

“Hm,”the Gryffindor sat up, “what if I tell her right now. Would you do the same?” She pointed to the Hufflepuffs. Where Lisa had just wrapped her arms around Dahyun’s waist. 

Sana shoved Momo’s hand down. “Could you be any more obvious?” 

She laughed. “Yep.” Then she looked at her expectantly. 

“No guarantees,” Sana said. “But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s time you two talk.” 

Momo winked at her. “Take notes.” She got to her feet and walked off. 

Sana watched, not quite believing her eyes. Yes, she’d meant that Momo should tell Nayeon, but she would have never guessed she’d do it now. 

Was Momo going to pretend? Tell Nayeon that she was testing Sana? She couldn’t believe that Momo would do that. 

And it didn’t look like it at all. 

Nayeon didn’t even glance at Sana. She just stared as Momo drew her away to one of the many bookshelves of the common room. She stared as Momo spoke, eyes locked on the now blonde Gryffindor’s face. Then, slowly, she broke into a broad grin. She said something with a sparkle in her eye. There was a contagious enthusiasm in her. 

And then they were hugging. Nayeon’s eyes were closed, a blissful smile on her face. Sana knew exactly that she’d been waiting for this. 

In that embrace, one, or both, turned their heads. Sana looked away. That moment was private. Someone might see it and the gossip would fly around the school faster than a Firebolt, but it wouldn’t matter. Not to Momo, nor Nayeon. 

Sana smiled. Her gaze was now on one person. Someone she wanted to take aside and tell her everything. 

Except this was someone who probably didn’t like her back. This was someone who was emotionally vulnerable even if she didn’t show it. This was someone who was still healing. 

This was also someone who was laughing, her eyes forming crescents, while her hearty laugh rose above the music and chatter of others. This was someone whose laughter made Sana smile wider. 

She looked away. Without having much to do now at the party, her matchmaking also finished, she was ready to go to bed. She was tired. 

Sana stood. She glanced once at Nayeon and Momo who were playing another round of Charm, Counter, Change? They were standing close, holding hands, but not showing it to the group. Even so, she saw Jennie and Hwasa exchange looks and smile. Then Jennie looked over somewhere else, looking put out the moment she found what she was looking for. 

Sana knew where she was looking, but didn’t do the same. She just went to the main door and walked out. According to her parents, parties got less exciting when you got older, but Sana was pretty sure it was just because she was tired and there wasn’t anything to keep her there. Well, there was, but that person was busy somewhere else—with someone else. 

She went down the stairs, drawing out her wand as she did. Even though Raven wasn’t in school anymore, she still didn’t feel completely safe. At least this was she’d have some kind of defence. She even cast a counter-illusion charm, making sure she didn’t accidentally change her hair back to brown. She really liked how it looked. 

No one popped out or was revealed. Sana kept her wand out. 

Then she heard a sound. That of a door opening. Then quick footsteps.

Sana whirled around, half raising her wand, half knowing it was just some partygoer. Maybe two. 

She immediately put her wand down when she saw who it was. 

“You were going to go back alone?” Dahyun looked miffed, but mostly concerned. looked like it was prepared to say something, while her brow was lightly furrowed. 

Sana just nodded. “There wasn’t any of that table game to keep me involved.” 

A small smile. “No game you could dominate, you mean.” 

“Maybe.” 

Then Dahyun’s smile faded, replaced by that look again. “Tired?” 

One word. That was all it took. Sana was able to see the slouch in Dahyun’s shoulders, as well as the edge of fatigue in her eyes. It’d probably been there the whole evening, but Sana had just focused on Lisa’s arms around those shoulders. She felt guilty for not seeing it sooner. 

Dahyun walking over until she was just beside her. Her eyes scanned across the Grand Staircase, as her hand reached for the banister. “I think I’m going to bed too,” she said. “Can we go together?”

Sana could only nod. “Sure.” 

They started walking.

There were two options for why Dahyun was here. Either she didn’t want Sana walking down alone, or she was jumping at the chance to get to bed. She was just as tired as Sana, probably even more. 

“You’re sneaky at that game, you know,” Dahyun laughed slightly, “turning it into a spider when you know no one’ll want to make it bigger.” 

“It takes skill and creativity,” Sana replied. “You get the hang of it.” 

“Not the transfiguring part.” 

The Hufflepuff had turned the wooden block into a water. It had let her win that round, but she clearly hadn’t wanted to make that transformation. Again and again, Dahyun proved she was better at tranation than transfiguration. 

They were on the fourth floor now. Dahyun wasn’t showing any sign that she was getting tired from it. 

“We don’t have to study tomorrow,” Dahyun said. “You should sleep in, take the day off properly. Selen would jump at letting you take Monday off, probably even Tuesday.” 

“And what about you?” Sana asked. “Would you take a break too?”

She shook her head. 

“But you’re tired too, aren’t you?” When Dahyun didn’t respond, she continued. “And it’s not about needing the break, if you want it, then just take it. Rest a bit.”

“I don’t want to,” Dahyun muttered. Her eyes flicked around the stairs again, her free hand near her pocket. She was wearing a big cozy jumper again. Nothing that drew attention, but Sana liked it. “It hits me at the end of the day, but I’m already going to bed. So I don’t need it either.” 

“But,” Sana began. 

“I mean it.” She looked at her, a smile on her face. It was genuine, but all Sana could think of were the bags under her eyes, now hidden by illusions. “What I need is something normal, remember? Friends, quidditch practice, patrol, and school.” A small sigh. “But that’s my thing. It’s pretty dumb, but it helps.” She took Sana’s hand. “And just because I’m sticking to normal, doesn’t mean you have to.” 

They kept walking, now hand in hand. Sana couldn’t help but dwell on how nice it was.

“And do you really not want to go to Hogsmeade?” Dahyun asked. “Do you really want to be inside all day and study?” She frowned slightly. 

“This sounds like you don’t want me there.” Sana squeezed her hand, though she did wonder if there was some truth to that. 

“I told you I do.” She stopped walking. They were on the third floor. The faulty step would be coming up. They’d step over it. Like they were supposed to. “But if you’re doing it for the same reason I ran after you, you don’t have to stay in school.”

“What's the reason?” Sana was half in shock at where this conversation had gone. Dahyun wasn’t hiding things. She wasn’t giving her false smiles or excuses either. 

Dahyun raised an eyebrow at her. “Would you have let me go down these stairs alone?”

It was an easy answer. “Nope.”

She laughed. “Exactly.” She stepped over the faulty step then, pulling Sana along to do the same. They were still holding hands. “Like it or not, we’ve got a system for this. No one goes somewhere alone if they can help it, because the other one sure as hell won’t want them to.” 

“Didn’t you do that yesterday?” Sana asked. “When you went around to get my homework?” Something she still couldn’t believe Dahyun had done. Everything had been organised too, not like Sana’s scrawls on different pieces of parchment. “And went to the Owlery?”

A blush had started to grow. “Maybe.” 

“I’m staying in tomorrow,” Sana said. “One, because I don’t want you to be alone all day, even if you’re fine with that,” she squeezed her hand again, “but also because I’m exhausted. Spending the whole day out will be worse than staying in.” She then lowered her voice to a whisper. “Plus, I’m not gonna study all day.”

Dahyun grinned. “And here I was thinking you were going to be the dutiful student, the image of a girl during N.E.W.T preparations.”

Sana giggled. “I’ll be that for half the time you are.” 

“Alright,” she shrugged, “works with me.” 

They walked in silence again until they passed by the Great Hall. 

“By the way,” Sana started, “I’m an official matchmaker.” 

“Me too.” 

Sana looked at her. “Wanna go first?” 

“Only because I think yours’ll be more exciting,” Dahyun winked, “Mina and Chaeyoung are beyond awkward ‘hi’s’ and questions about yesterday’s homework.” 

“You’re right,” Sana laughed, “mine's way more exciting.” She paused. “Nayeon and Momo kissed.”

Her eyes widened. “When?” 

Of course she hadn’t been paying attention. “At the party.”

“Today’s party?”

Sana rolled her eyes. “Last year’s.” As she said it, she wanted to kick herself. “Anyway, I made it happen.” She would not be telling her about the conversation leading up to it. 

“Well,” Dahyun smiled, “it’s about time.” Her brow furrowed. “Now Jeong’ll have to warm up to it.” 

“She’s still against it?” She frowned. Couldn’t the girl let it go? It had been a good year or so since the fallout. 

Dahyun shook her head. “She may be over it, but that doesn’t mean she’ll accept it.” Then she straightened, as if remembering something. “But it’s just because she thinks Momo’ll get hurt.”

“That’s not going to happen,” Sana said. “Not like that.”

“I know,” Dahyun said. “But Jeongyeon probably won’t believe it until she sees it. And when she sees it, she’ll not accept it right off the bat.” 

“Will she try to,” she cut herself off. Should she say that? Jeongyeon was still one of Momo’s closest friends.

“She’ll want it to end,” Dahyun sighed, “but she won’t go that far.”

Sana disagreed, but she didn’t want to say it. Even if they had forgiven Sana, which she appreciated to no end, their friend groups were still on shaky ground.

“But still,” the Hufflepuff smiled, “a Slytherin and a Gryffindor is quite the poetic pairing.” 

Sana nodded. Her mind went to a different sort of inter-house pairing. She suggested another. "Same for the Slytherin and a Ravenclaw. They’ll be a cute one.” 

Dahyun snorted. “When it finally happens, you mean.” 

“Hey,” Sana raised a hand, “you helped them take a baby step. That’s what matters.” 

She stuck her tongue out. “Well excuse me if I can’t make them kiss at a party.” Then she coughed. “I mean, well,” she bit her lip, “you win.” She didn't meet Sana's eyes. 

The next silence was more than a bit awkward. 

Sana broke it quickly this time. “Kitchens this time.”

Dahyun just nodded. 

Neither had let go of the other’s hand, but they were both walking at a bit of a distance. Sana fought a sigh. There was the awkwardness again. Did that mean Dahyun was just embarrassed about the kiss? Probably. 

The thought made her feel worse than she had earlier. It was worse than jealousy. 

Dahyun tapping on the barrels broke Sana from her thoughts. She looked at the other girl, at her blonde hair, her oversized jumper, and her tired eyes. Sana felt a pang in her chest. Words bubbled up in . Words that could get rid of the questions bouncing around in her mind. She just had to say them. 

Then Dahyun looked up at her as the entrance opened. She gave her a sweet smile, one that Sana fought the urge to stare at. 

“I guarantee you I will not be offended if you go to Hogsmeade, or just do whatever tomorrow,” she said. “But I’m definitely okay with the other option.” She squeezed her hand once before letting go. 

“Dahyun.”

The Hufflepuff stopped in mid turn. Her dark eyes became expectant, her head tilted ever so slightly to the sound.

Sana wondered if she should say the words. 

You should tell her the truth

But she couldn’t. Not after what had happened. The week wasn’t even over.

“Sleep well,” Sana said. 

“Oh,” Dahyun nodded, “you too.” She smiled. It was strained. “Goodnight, Sana.”

Then she was gone. She didn't look back to wave at her. 

_____

Author's Note

Well, this is certainly a chapter for our couples. A few were mentioned fleetingly, while two were our 'prime examples'. It was a much needed break when it comes to everything that has happened so far. 

First we had Michaeng, who're on their way to being one of my cutest couples, as well as Namo, a bit of a background couple, but they're still sweet. Things aren't all paradise there, but that'll come a bit later.

Lastly, we have Saida. Looking back, I love where they are now. However, it's still slow going. I hope you'll forgive me for the slow burn I've got. I may be having a lot of fun writing them, but reading them might be a tad infuriating now and then :D 

Regardless, let me know what you thought! Questions or concerns are more than welcome in addition to general comments :) Thank you all for the support of this story. This story is both an outlet for both my Once and Potterhead heart and I'm so happy to be able to share it with you!

I hope you're all doing well! See you next chapter.