Step 5. Harmony

Achieve Success

A little later that day, after a deliciously prepared dinner, after DaHyun entered the room to do homework for tomorrow, the girl left the house, telling her sister:

- I’ll go, go for a walk; I want to air out a bit, cool my head.

-Not later than 22:00, - her older sister warned, checking her watch. -Three hours is enough for you to walk up.

- In full - closing behind itself, said DaHyun.

Fastening a sports jacket on herself, checking if the purse she put in her inner pocket was in place, the girl quickly went down the steps. Warm and friendly weather met her, the sun hid for a long time behind the horizon, but the clouds painted in the heavenly expanses did not portend anything bad. Although, when she went out, she checked the weather, and there were drawn thunderclouds with lightning for the evening. She didn’t take the umbrella; she decided she would wait somewhere if she went.

She took a deep breath, filling her lungs with fresh evening air, raised her face to the sky, admired the dark blue sky and gray clouds. Then she squared her shoulders, with her hands in her jeans pockets, and went toward the center. She did not take headphones and music with her, for today there was so much music, and to be honest, her ears were a little rooted in volume.

She had no idea where to go, she simply walked in the evening streets, admiring the city lights, which had just begun to shine. Humming cars, rushing passers-by, bright shop windows, everything attracted attention, everything was interesting. Her legs carried her past the central park, where with lateral vision she saw the couples in love walking slowly. Looking at them, at their joined palms, shining faces with a happy or shy smile, she imagined that someday she would be so lucky.

Not stopping in the park, the girl passed by, turned up the path to the first kiosk with food, sold hot dogs, his stomach rumbled, asking the hostess to pamper him. But having relocated, having persuaded him that further awaits him more tasty, the girl quickly passed by. Yes, there were such plans, not just going out, but maybe going somewhere in a cafe, being alone, absorbing the atmosphere of peace and quiet.

Even such a thought flashed through, the opportunity to go to the cinema, watch a movie, maybe thanks to watching, something would respond in her soul, would push her to become bolder in her desires. Set her up on Thursday when she meets her dream in the face of a girl named Chaeyoung.

DaHyun crossed a small bridge that connected the two banks of a small stream running under it, which then flowed into the Han River, the main river of Seoul. Immediately after the bridge, a central entertainment zone opened, where a movie theater stood between game and music stores.

The girl smiled to herself, accelerated a little step, but immediately slowed down when she heard the gentle melody of guitar strings and piano keys. She could not pass by and simply did not want, the music attracted to her, and DaHyun stopped, along with the same attracted listeners near the street trio.

The boy owned the piano, no older than herself, he all merged into the melody that his fingers played. The girl standing next to the piano attracted attention not only with multi-colored hair, but also with quick fingers the strings of the guitar. Another girl stood in front of the audience, and her voice penetrated into the hearts, filling the space with her soft sound. They did a cover of the famous song, and they did it almost perfectly.

She obeyed, covering her eyes, completely penetrated the voices of music and timbre, when she heard an uncertain exclamation beside her. She opened and looked at the one who stood next to her, and smiled happily:

- Ms. Son , is that you? What are you doing here?

- Oh, thank god it's you DaHyun! And then I already thought that I was mistaken - the woman sighed freely, smiling through the eyes of the girl. - I was just going from work when I was attracted to the melody, I decided to listen a little. I approached, I look, my back is familiar and my hair color, I decided to make sure. I called you, but you apparently did not hear me, was completely absorbed in music.

- Are you so late coming home, unnie - shook her head DaHyun , then drew attention to the fact that the woman was holding a package, but it does not seem to have been the products of the store, because the pen does not draw down the package. - Why the husband does not come to meet you?

-He works until late. And today he called, said he would have to linger - a woman complained, listening to the next tune played by young people.

- What about your daughter? Would call her to meet you, and you would return home together - DaHyun asked , taking a step back so as not to interfere with the audience with their conversation.

-My daughter has her own life. She is very busy now, making her dream a reality. Therefore, that dinner was a rare opportunity to see your daughter. By the way, she really enjoyed our dinner. Praised the only way.

-I'm glad to hear. So, it turns out that you will now come to an empty and dark house? - the thought that came to her mind immediately found her voice, DaHyun decided to immediately make the evening pleasant for the woman, which somehow reminded her of her mother. - Uh, no, I don't like that. I offer you another option, and I do not want to hear from you, no.

- What do you mean? - became interested in the girl’s excited voice, those eyes burned with the idea that she had visited.

-Come on a date with me, - she suggested, nervously clenching and unclenching her fists on either side.

- DaHyun! - Embarrassedly hit on the shoulder, closing her palms from the cheerful look of the girl.

- And what is so here? I will organize the most colorful date for you, you will not forget about him and you will tease your husband with him - I persuaded him, showing her the sweetest side of yourself. Then pointing to herself, twirled in place, and with all the bravado, added. - Plus, look at me, unnie, I'm the most unique date option!

The woman laughed at her, but did not refuse. For a long time she had no date, and interest was breaking through what will now be. Her cheeks were pink, her eyes sparkled with emotion, she was mesmerized, to which DaHyun noticed:

-You are so charming now, my heart quivers, looking at you - and as if confirming her words, the girl’s voice singing a cover of the song by Kim Taeyeon sounded in their ears, emphasizing“ I saw your smile ”. You see, even Taeyeon gives you a compliment.”

- Ha-ha-ha - shyly hiding her eyes and face, the woman laughed softly.

- I like the way they sing Taeyeon. They have the harmony that I constantly look for - DaHyun said thoughtfully , again plunging into the melody of the song, listening to the words and sound.

She remembered how she played at home when she first heard the Taeyeon song, remembered how her family got together then, praised her, asked her to play again. Those times surged over her with such power that her heart could not stand it, and her fingers fluttered, asking to play the piano.

- Our date begins now, unnie - the voice sounded inspired, but the expression on her face became somehow dreamy sad.

DaHyun went to the pianist, bowed, leaned towards him and whispered something in his ear. Then she waited for him to give her request to the others, and when they nodded in approval, she took the place of a pianist and began to play the familiar tune. The woman heard how they began to whisper around her:

“This is that eagle girl ...”

- Her name is DaHyun, right?

“Yes, she, I didn’t think that I would see her here.”

“Is she with them?”

- Wow, she plays Kim Taeyeon "Set me free."

- Are you shooting?

- Yes, I’m renting.

But all the whispers disappeared instantly, as soon as the girl began to sing, her soft and sweet voice filled the street. Her voice gradually filled the void of the soul, penetrating and populating the hearts of the audience. A gentle melody, tenderness in the voice, a quiet and gentle immersion in the story that the girl wanted to convey. The string sounds of the guitar joined the sound of the piano, now they had complete harmony with nature and the melody that surrounded them.

Loud applause was the reward for DaHyun, she bowed with all gratitude:

-I will never be perfect, but I will try to embody the harmonious sound of my playing the piano and my voice in the future. Thank you for letting you hears.

- If I were a man, I would have confessed my love to you, DaHyun - the woman admired the game with admiration, then she was shy of her own words and waved it off.

- Okay, now send some fun - making a sign forward with the index finger, I took a wide step. - We are waiting for an amazing adventure in the evening streets of the city! But before we begin to really hang out , wait for me here a minute, I am now - exclaimed DaHyun , tore off and ran away somewhere.

True, she later returned after 15 minutes with a beautiful bouquet of flowers, gallantly bowed and presented them to the woman:

- For my lady.

-Aigoo, DaHyun, you make me blush constantly. Why do I need a bouquet of flowers?

-Then what kind of gentleman am I if my lady does not have a flower? - smiling broadly, said DaHyun, carefully picking up the package and bag from her hands. - A beautiful girl should not overwork today. I will take care of you, my dear unnie.

-I'm counting on you, my gentleman, - the woman joked, lowering her hand to DaHyun's outstretched hand. She grinned proudly and rather, importantly went with her through the streets of Seoul.

***

The next morning, and it was Wednesday, Eunji was trying to wake her sister so that she would not be late for the bus. Yesterday, her Dubu arrived later than the usual time, but explaining the reason for her delay, Eunji decided to skip the punishment. She had heard about some woman whom she had once helped with bags. She would like to see her, is she exactly like their mother, or not? So far, only the words of the younger sister have to be believed.

-Consider that you had a test date with this woman, and take into account your mistakes the next time you finally dare to invite Chaeyoung for a date - after listening to all the adventures, the elder sister instructively advised.

She could only agree, although she herself thought that the date was excellent. Ms. Son will definitely not forget him for a long time. DaHyun hoped that she would tell everything to her husband, maybe he will remember that not a wife but a woman lives with him.

Towards the end of their date, DaHyun finally saw the result of her labors, from a tormented woman, Ms. Son turned into a charming butterfly. Yes, her efforts soared. DaHyun was glad and proud of herself.

When she managed to wake a disagreeable sister, she gathered her to school, kissed her on the cheek and wished good luck. Today she will need luck; they will check their homework, which consists of several items, not just playing the piano. Last night, while DaHyun was absent, the teacher called home and asked her to tell her sister what to prepare for. So, having come home, DaHyun went to bed only after 02:00 a.m., when she prepared for tomorrow's test.

***

- Chaeyoung why are you such a beech? You’ve been walking like this since yesterday evening - all morning Tzuyu tried to find out from the frowning girl that she had now gone to the center of the rehearsal room and stood near the mirror, looking at one point.

- Did you fight with mom? Nayeon asked worriedly, keeping the door open so that everyone else could enter. - Be careful, don’t forget the little nut here, don’t catch it - warned everyone who approached the hall.

-She went on a date yesterday,” Chaeyoung muttered, tilted her head down, and looked at everyone from under the sun.

- With your father? So it's wonderful, they also sometimes need to remember that they are married and in love - Nayeon immediately calmed down, not seeing anything serious.

-Not with my father. With someone else. And she doesn’t admit to anyone - the voice of Chaeyoung was still displeased.

-And you didn't tell your father either? - approached her Sana, gently hugged, caressed on the head.

-No, father knows, but when I ask, he teases. It's not fair! I want to know too! - She didn’t calculate her strength, or maybe she just forgot that she was hugged by Sana, kicked her head and hit her chin.

- Aw! Cried Sana, clutching at the bruised place, Chaeyoung immediately began to console unnie , asking her for forgiveness. “Nothing, nothing, everything is fine,” Sana assured her, although she was still rubbing that place.

“In the end, your mom or dad will give up, and you will know the whole truth, Chaeyoung.” Let’s forget about home absurdities for today, and prepare for our task for the vocals. We won’t matter what you chose yesterday, Chaeyoung - again, said Tzuyu, glancing at her roommate. - With rap everything is fine, but with dancing...

“I repeat again, there will be no dancing,” Chaeyoung said, sighing tiredly . “You just listen to me and everything will work out for us.” We will look cooler than our unnie .

- Who will look cooler than unnie? - Asked Jeongyeon, who overheard them. -You will be the cutest, not the coolest. Especially with the song F (x) of your choice - sombenim “Chu”. That we, our trinity, will be at the highest level, right, Nabongs? - turned to her elder girlfriend, that at the moment she was twisting the watched video over and over again, not just their prepared song, but the video from the street.

“Did you ask something, Jeong?” - raising an unfocused look at her friend, but did not stop at her, lowered her down again, pressed her lower lip with two front teeth, focused on the video.

- Apparently not, ha ha ha - Chaeyoung laughed, Tzuyu just smiled nearby.

- Unnie, what are you watching there? Something interesting? - squatting down, asked Tzuyu curiously , throwing her chic black hair behind her back so that they would not interfere with her look.

- Yes, I think, and it will be interesting for you to see it too. Here, a new video was posted, and the main character is Kim DaHyun, our vocal teacher.

-Nayeon-unnie, she repeated the word harmony several times, - JiHyo sat thoughtfully , sitting on the floor, hugging Nayeon's knees .

-She has such a pleasant voice, - Sana said dreamily, looking at her phone screen, Momo, hugging her from behind, also muttered something under her breath.

-She sings a cover of the Taeyeon-sombenim song of “Set me free” - Mina commented, shyly straightening her hair by the ear.

- Her voice is somewhat similar to yours, yes, Minari? - Mina just shook her head, disagreeing. She was interested in how smoothly her fingers fly along the keys, and how she completely surrenders to the music.

-Okay, that's enough, let's try and be 100% prepared so that tomorrow we all get A + - clapped her hands, decidedly turned off the video, put the phone in her bag, got up, and called Jeongyeon / JiHyo in the left corner of the room.

The girls followed her example, except for one, and everyone with an understanding look looked at each other. Chaeyoung froze with the phone in her hands, looking at the video that played from different angles. parted a little, the tip of her tongue leaned out, and everything indicated that the girl was focused.

Then, apparently, some kind of mechanism worked in her head, the girl suddenly laughed out loud and openly, put down the phone, took Tzuyu by the hand and dragged him to the other end of the rehearsal room, began to whisper something quickly, gesturing violently. Soon, several musical compositions sounded through a small rehearsal room, all the girls plunged into studying their homework on vocals.

True, the study had to be postponed for a while, since one of the main managers approached them and reported the latest news from the producer.

- Today we decided to record the rest of the songs for your debut album. Now, Park JinYong is asking you to join him in the recording room.

Joy knew no bounds. They were so waiting for this moment. Everyone thought and wondered when they would continue to record songs for the album. And now, Wednesday, turned out to be that very day.

***

Kim DaHyun worked hard in the music class, nervously the keys of the piano. The master warned her couple of minutes ago that after the guy who came to him, it would be her turn to show her talents.

- I hope that I will see the same zeal for donations ie homework, as yesterday during the street performances - his eyes were kind, like his voice, but a shiver ran over the skin of his pat on the back.

I’m finished, he will not leave me alone until I make a mistake, and he will have a reason to scold me. Oh god, I hear his footsteps! That's all; he let that guy go, now he’s coming for me! Please save me somebody!

- DaHyun -ssi, you are free - no voice sounded joyfully from the teacher. “Consider yourself lucky since you work for Pak Jin-yong himself.” But do not think that I have forgotten, prepare more diligently.

-I'm sorry I don’t understand, - DaHyun said discouraged, not understanding where such happiness came from.

- Your employer called, he asks you to come to the company now. Your help is required. Or do you not believe your teacher? - Here her mobile phone sounded, the teacher nodded for her to understand, and when she put her ear to the telephone receiver, she heard:

- DaHyun- ssi? Hello, the sound engineer of company L and Song is bothering you, I took your phone number from the director ...

- Yes, I am listening to you - I apologize smiling, DaHyun came from the audience, saying goodbye to the teacher. She did not believe in what was happening, someone heard her prayers and saved.

- Excuse me, but could you come to the company and help with the recording for the album? - finished the voice in the receiver, waiting for an answer.

- Of course, only I will be there no later than in half an hour, probably. My school is not so close to the company, so ...

“We will wait for you.” Sorry to bother you on your day off.

-To be honest, you helped me out, ha ha ha, okay, see you later.

***

Lee Song-gi turned off, looked at the producer, who showed him a thumb, smiling pretty:

“She really is as smart as I hear everywhere?” Or another upstart that wants to show how cool it is? - The man skeptically raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, you will like her, Lee!” The girl knows a lot about music. It will definitely help us to record the sound that will appeal to the majority of fans of our babies ’creativity, assured Park JinYong, joyfully greeting 8 members of the TWICE band entering the recording room. - Well, then, girls begin to perform a miracle?

- Yes! - clapped their hands.

The recording scheme was familiar to everyone: first you sing the whole song, and then work out the part that suits you personally.

The first two songs went easily, without a hitch. But on the next song, they are stuck. They tried this way and that, but it didn't work out. The girls were upset, they apologized all the time, tried to make them softer, softer, on the contrary, stronger and louder. But everything is empty . It seems that the words are simple, catchy, but the text itself did not go to the voice. They were given time to relax, taken again, and all to no avail. Nobody knew what to do in such a situation, and Kim DaHyun arrived at their prayers, knocking softly on the door, entering after she heard:

- Come in.

- Hello, I'm Kim DaHyun, you called me and asked me to come - a girl crammed her bow. - My bus broke down on the road, I had to walk here. I didn’t want to waste your time for my expectation. Oh hello, unnie, Chaeyoung, Tzuyu! - waved a palm in their direction.

Their eyes needed to be seen! They did not expect to see her before Thursday. DaHyun smiled affably, and no matter how strange it sounded, the room became brighter and happier with her arrival. The girls somehow cheered up.

- Yes, I called you - he held out his hand to shake, she answered the same. - Sit down, DaHyun -ssi, I want you to listen to a couple of songs - handed her the headphones, those songs that they recorded recently.

DaHyun listened to every note, the singer’s voice, trying with her instinct to understand that she did not like it there. She bit her lips, ran her hand through her hair, then, without listening to the song, she freed her ears from the headphones:

“Sorry, but it was terrible,” she admitted honestly, glancing guilty towards the girls sitting on the couch. - Too loud, sharp sound and swallowing letters.

- Who didn’t like it? - I looked closely with interest at a young girl whose fair skin turned pink when they showed such direct attention to her.

- I heard each separately, there was no cohesion - I did not point to a specific person. - As if each of them wanted to stand out, show how good and best she is. You are the best, I do not argue, so the fans chose you - I decided to turn around and meet the eyes of her wards. - But I think that you better rewrite them, make them even cooler than they are at the initial stage.

- I agree - the man smiled in the affirmative, scratching his chin, respectfully looking at DaHyun . - Sorry, I wanted to check you, and gave you the first version of their execution. Now, no kidding, listen and tell your opinion, DaHyun -ssi .

“You deceived me, and I had to say a lot of bad words to my unnie, ” DaHyun took offense , beaming with a smile, as if saying that she had guessed for a long time.

-Maybe you don’t like the next option, DaHyun, -Nayeon said, - fanning her with a sheet of written text, - then you won’t have to apologize.

-And if you like me, I’ll tell you exactly what I expect from you tomorrow. How I will evaluate your homework - flashed a smile receiving in response a giggle and a cute dimple from Chaeyoung.

- Deal!

After listening, DaHyun shook her head negatively:

-Better, but still not suitable. You take the note too high, JiHyo is unnie. And you, Nayeon - unnie turns out harshly when you try to lower the tone. I like the sound of Jeongyeon - unnie, but you still need to work on the lower timbre, sometimes it seems like you swallow words. Mina, Sana and Momo - well done! Chaeyoung is your rap , oh my heart melts when he hears a voice, but it would be even cooler if in this line I sat down to her, bent over the text, finding the right word, underlined with a pencil - you sing as if you want to let him understand that he is not worth you. You know that I have in view? - looked up and froze, they were so close to each other, a little more and...

-I see, DaHyun — unnie — cut off their connection, clearing , blushing sweetly.

- Um, fine, the way Tzuyu sings to me has no complaints - reluctantly moving away from the girl, DaHyun said, returning to her place, near L and Song-gi.

After the recommendations, the song really began to sound better. So they sang those songs that they recorded before. Now the moment has come that has been gagging from the very beginning.

Again, JiHyo went first, after she sang, looked inquiringly at the man and at DaHyun . The man exchanged glances with the girl, who shrugged, biting the end of the pen:

-Bad, - she finally decided, - very bad. Hmm, but I know what the reason is. Only I can’t explain everything without my musical instrument. May we move to the piano and I will explain what I mean?

“Do whatever you see fit,” the man nodded. “But before you leave, can you listen to the others?” Maybe, besides JiHyo, some of them will have to explain?

- Let's - agreeing with his arguments.

Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Mina, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu .

Of these, all the vocalists of the group plus Mina were selected, but decided to go all out to listen to an unplanned lesson from the vocal teacher.

***

Piano. An interim vocal teacher was preparing to show a lesson that she herself had recently learned at her school. Remembering what the master explained to them in the lesson, DaHyun tried to pass everything on to the girls.

- Now I will play two fragments of the same work. You listen to him, and then tell me what the difference is - without waiting for an answer, she began to play.

The melody sounded soft, gentle, affectionate. Then it abruptly interrupted, and sounded rude and somehow extravagant, chaotic.

-You mean that my voice sounded like that? The second part of the passage? Do I need to sing, as in the first part? - asked JiHyo, guessing instantly after listening.

-I knew you were smart JiHyo - unnie! Well done! Yes, that is what I had in mind. And Nayeon is unnie, now listen, after I play Jeongyeon for you, unnie, and for you Mina , unnie . Attentively, I will not interrupt.

With a touch of the piano, the girl could explain how their song should sound. After the recording was faster than before. Everything seemed so simple, and not at all painful.

Saying goodbye, DaHyun, looking at her students, said:

-That's what I was looking for in you this time. Harmony. I like it when a song and a melody sound in unison, the only way to convey the full meaning of the written text. I hope today's lesson has benefited you. I look forward to tomorrow, see you.