Step 10. Misunderstanding

Achieve Success

Free day, he was always expected and always gladdened when he heard these few words from the manager or director of the company. Having heard them a couple of minutes ago, the girls left the training hall without saying a word, after a preliminary recording of their dance. After making sure the video had been forwarded, they discussed where they wanted to go along the way. First of all, everyone agreed to a small snack, although breakfast was just recently. They all had a hearty breakfast, but no one canceled the snack. Having fun talking, the girls walked around the city, not hiding their faces, not muffling their voices. Nayeon took them to a cafe that opened a couple of months ago but became mega popular for its delicious and varied menu.

-This cafe sells the most delicious pastries and pastries, - Nayeon said confidently, leading her friends to that place.

- Where does this information come from? - Glancing at the satisfied Nayeon, asked Mina.

- They gave me a try, they sent me a parcel - the elder unnie smiled at the memory, - I was ready to eat the box then, it was so delicious - she laughed.

- Wow! If Nabongs says so, then it's really delicious. Come on, faster, I was already drooling - JiHyo hurried them, running up to the slowly walking Nayeon, looked with the best puppy look.

- Don't look at her like that, JiHyo, - Jeongyeon, walking behind her, laughed, holding Sana's hand, who, in turn, was telling Momo something, hugging her around the waist. - You know, our "old lady", she doesn't like to rush ...

- Hey! - Feigned indignation Nayeon, turning, and lightly hit on the shoulder. - I'm not an old woman! I just don’t like to walk fast - she pouted, although after a minute she returned a cute expression that turned into a cocky grin in a second, when Nayeon insinuatingly asked Jeongyeon: “By the way, how do you know that I “don't like to rush”? Can Momo share with you that, hmm?

- Fu! No! Unnie! - Jeongyeon crossed herself, realizing the meaning of her friend's words, the rest, except for maknae-line, laughed, and blushing deeply. - Away, away from me these thoughts!

- Nayeon-unnie is better off keeping quiet about it,- Momo whispered softly, looking at Sana and JiHyo. - Our private life is a secret - she added even more quietly, looking at the ground.

- Hahaha - Jeongyeon did not stop, JiHyo joined in the loud laughter, by some miracle she heard a quiet request from Momo. Sana smiled nervously, Mina embarrassedly bit her lower lip, looking away, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu shrugged their shoulders, not understanding anything.

Nayeon was calmly silent, lifting her head up, speeding up her step, but she was betrayed by her burgundy red ears.

The jokes and teasing continued all the way to the cafe, they only had to cross the road, when Tzuyu suddenly pointed somewhere and asked:

- Isn't that DaHyun-unnie by any chance?

Following the index finger of Tzuyu's right hand, the girls saw DaHyun walking next to a beautiful black-haired girl.

- Who is she with? So that's why DaHyun rescheduled our meeting, she has a date! Girls went to spy - winking cheerfully, hurried to switch to the green light. The others, succumbing to the enthusiasm of their older friend, followed her, walking a decent distance from DaHyun with her date.

- Why did you decide they had a date? - the question was rhetorically asked, because the answer came by itself in the form of how DaHyun's hand hugged the girl's waist and pressed against her, kissing her on the cheek.

The girls looked at Chaeyoung sympathetically, her face expressionless.

-Maybe it's not a date, maybe it's just a meeting of best friends ...- Tzuyu began uncertainly, seeking support from the others; Sana was the first to respond:

- Yes, anything can be - hastened to say, hugging Chaeyoung from the back.

-They are just friends, - Mina continued quietly, but she was interrupted by the sweet laugh of a stranger after DaHyun whispered something to her.

- I don’t care,- Chaeyoung said with a frown, - DaHyun-unnie can have a date, she’s a free person.

- When we get to that vaunted cafe - I tried to change the subject of JiHyo.

- We are already here - said Nayeon regretfully, showing the correspondence of the name of the cafe with the telephone and the inscription on the cafe. DaHyun and a stranger just entered there.

- Since we are here, we went inside - resolutely took a step towards the door of Jeongyeon cafe.

- Yes, let's not spoil our time - just as resolutely Sana.

- We didn't know we'd meet DaHyun here, did we? - Momo, Mina, silently, nodded her head, agreeing with everyone, only Nayeon and JiHyo were left to the side.

-We didn't know, but now we know, so let's watch. I'm curious, and don't say you're not curious. - Nayeon chuckled, nodding her head to the side, JiHyo quickly found where to sneak a peek.

- Eh, curious - Jeongyeon gave up quickly, comforting, patted Chaeyoung on the shoulder, walked over to Nayeon, squatted down next to JiHyo.

-But we won't hear anything here,- Sana complained in a loud whisper, joining Jeongyeon, dragging Momo and Mina with her.

- But we'll see - shrugged Tzuyu, trying to hide her tall height outside the window.

They all silently watched as the girls sat down at the table, as another beautiful blonde girl approached them a little later (10 minutes later).

And that's how they got into this position when DaHyun called them.

**

DaHyun, on the other hand, felt uncomfortable feeling the tension at the table where she sat next to her sister and Sooyoung. Therefore, accidentally looking outside the window, seeing 8 very familiar girls, I was delighted to myself. This silent, oppressive atmosphere spoiled her mood. At first she did not even have a question why the girls were hiding there and not going inside. DaHyun was just very happy, although inside she was nervous to see Chaeyoung. That kiss flashed through my thoughts again, my soul took wings again, she wanted to be closer to her again, to communicate, to see a smile, kindness...

Hey hey stop stop DaHyun! Have you forgotten that you are here for your unnie? EunJi needs help, Chaeyoung ... You can talk to Chaeyoung later. But ... but this is a great chance to communicate, that is, to conduct a lesson here, and not in a stuffy room. By the way ... I heard something come to me in the mail. I'll check it out now.

As discreetly as possible, DaHyun opened her phone and checked the message. The videos from the dance practice really came, without shelving; DaHyun cleared , drawing attention to herself:

-Forgive me, ladies, I’ll be away for a little while, - she smiled, squeezed her elder sister's hand under the table, and stood up. - I saw a couple of friends, and besides, I need to check my work.

- Will you come back? EunJi asked hopefully, looking fearfully into her little sister's eyes.

-I’m next to you, don’t worry, unnie, - she bent down, kissed her temple, smiled lightly. Sooyoung walked away.

I'm not running away, just going away. Maybe if I'm not there, that girl will start a dialogue. But, if I notice that she offends my sister ... it is better for her not to see me in protective anger.

**

- Nayeon-unnie girls, maybe you better go inside. I am sure that you will hear everything perfectly there - DaHyun welcomed them, smiling broadly at them.

Nayeon scratched the back of her head, letting out an awkward laugh, waved her hand to the girl, approaching her:

-We didn’t run away because we saw you there with another girl. We originally wanted to go to a cafe and try their pastries.

- Nabongs was praising and we came here to spend our free time - Jeongyeon helped her out, after hearing her excuse, JiHyo also added from the other side of Nayeon:

- The manager said that we are free today because you canceled classes. But we recorded our dance video, and she had to send it to you.

- I just got them; I thought it would be a good opportunity to watch the video now. What an unexpected coincidence will meet in this cafe, I was lucky - simply said DaHyun, completely ignoring the words about "another girl". - Let's go in now; talk about your assignment - opening the doors, letting them go ahead, invited DaHyun.

-Why not, since we're here, - JiHyo sighed, taking Chaeyoung's hand with Tzuyu, leading them inside the cafe.

As they passed the table where "DaHyun's possible date" was sitting, DaHyun stopped next to that girl, whispered something quickly with a surprised look. Then she took them to the nearest table, called the waiter, he came up, she ordered:

- Bring, please, your signature dessert, for 8 servings, as well as coffee - raised an eyebrow inquiringly, NaMoSa nodded, - green tea - Mina, Chaeyoung with Tzuyu - the rest of the cocktails. They are very tasty, you will like it - assured the girls. - To me, please repeat. I ordered exactly what you came here for. Snack first, then work.

So it was said, but in reality it turned out differently. As soon as the order was brought, DaHyun, who was constantly following the dialogue of the neighboring table (it was conducted in a raised tone, from the blonde, the black-haired girl was silent, almost crying), suddenly got up, without telling where and why, went to a "date". She hugged her, wiping away the tears that had accumulated in her eyes, then sparkling her eyes, looked at the sitting girl:

- You came here to listen, asking questions, and not to mock what happened before - by not using respectful speech, DaHyun angered. - Respect my EunJi's feelings. You're acting childish, Sooyoung. If you can't or don't want to, then you'd better leave.

- Where is your respectful speech? I am older than you! Sooyoung raised her voice, offended by the younger girl's words. - Apologize to me - DaHyun grimaced, turned away.

- Dubu, please - quietly came the response from the drooping EunJi.

- I don't want to, unnie! She insults you - she was indignant, folding her arms over her chest and frowning.

- Apologize or I'll leave! Sooyoung insisted. Not so I thought the meeting would take place. DaHyun was right that Sooyoung came here to make fun of her, to hurt her, to show all her hatred to the one who once wounded her heart, who still bleeds. But instead of punishing EunJi, they put me in my place. What the hell! Why is EunJi's little sister here at all? It's none of her business!

- Dubu - quietly, gently, trying to reason with EunJi's little sister, - Sooyoung didn't do anything, it's me, just ...

- No, not you, unnie. She didn’t give you a word to say; only insult sounded from her lips - she didn’t give up her position to DaHyun, with her hands on her hips. “I couldn't take it any longer. Nobody has the right to humiliate you like that! - lowered her tone a little, defending DaHyun.

- Nobody humiliates, Dubu, as long as everything goes well. When it gets worse, I'll call you myself. You promised me, remember? - holding her sister around the waist EunJi reminded gently.

- I remember - DaHyun surrendered, - but, I'm watching you, Sooyoung-unnie - she warned, returning back to her table, where she was being watched.

- Is everything ok, DaHyun? - Chaeyoung, who was sitting next to her, timidly asked, she nodded silently, smiled lightly:

- Forgive me for jumping up so abruptly - ran her hand through her hair - let's watch the video? - asked, in order to distract something, everyone understood her perfectly, so they quickly agreed.

Chaeyoung squeezed her hand reassuringly, smiling softly. Chaeyoung didn’t know who the girl was, but if DaHyun was protecting her like that, then it’s a very close person to DaHyun.

The girls grouped around DaHyun in a semicircle when the girl opened the first video titled MoSaMi SNSD Mr. Taxi. Sana was immediately embarrassed as soon as they showed up in front of the camera. Momo and Mina shrank nervously as they awaited a verdict from the vocal coach.

- By the way, I wanted to tell you that I gave you a choice of songs for a reason. The thing is that these songs are my favorite, and I am an ardent fan of their work. Therefore, each performance will be evaluated on a 100-point scale - just in case, DaHyun warned them, noticing the pallor on the faces of all 8 girls. - Well, let's see - taking a deep breath, pressing the play button with her finger, I focused on completing the homework from the first J-Line.

MoSaMi

They sat quietly next to DaHyun, trying to read on an unreadable face. For all the minutes that the video lasted, she never said anything, made no remarks, absolute silence.

The Japanese trio were nervous, especially Sana, because for her this song, and the dance itself, was difficult. She had to show it again, remember those embarrassing hip movements, remember the first disastrous performance before the director of the company. That dance and choice of song became fatal, she then so desperately wanted to go along with Momo, her best friend.

Sana bit her lower lip, fiddled with the hem of her shirt, tapped her foot on the floor. Momo put her hand on her lower back to support her friend, while Mina hugged her shoulders, whispering words of comfort.

Momo and Mina also sat restlessly, but they showed less emotion, keeping everything in themselves.

They just waited.

When the last chord of the song sounded, they froze in anticipation, seeing the girl open to say:

- I was bored - yawned revealingly, covering with her hand DaHyun. - Here I enjoyed only the voices of Soshi, remembering the moment when they first touched my soul. Your dance, hmm, if you can even call this dance a dance? Boring - DaHyun repeated, turning to the Japanese trio. - I expected more from what is called the “dance machine” Momo-chan. You all disappointed me, so on a scale of 1 to 100, I put 30. That is 10 Momo, 10 Mine and 10 Sane.

- Wh..why? - Sana asked stammering, plucking up the courage to say anything at all. - We learned the whole dance and I finally got those hip movements. Why are there so few points?

- You yourself told us the improvisation; we decided that we would just dance, as our Korean pronunciation is still lame - bravely stood up for Momo's friends, while hiding her reddened face behind her hair.

-We can't be SNSD sombenim, no matter how much you want, DaHyun,- Mina said quietly, then realizing what was said, the girl quickly apologized.

The rest of the girls were silent, they did not interfere, knowing full well that they were next, and perhaps their words would be worse than those of the Japanese trio.

DaHyun was sitting, leaning on the back of a chair, making warm coffee from a cup, listening attentively to every word they said. She gave them a chance to speak, then asked:

- Do you think you coped with your homework? - three of them nodded their heads in the affirmative. - Then why was I so bored? I almost fell asleep. Do you know why I gave you 10 points? After all, I could give 1 point or even give 0 points - again opening that very video, beckoning the trio to me. - Do you want me to explain to you why I am dissatisfied with you?

- Yes, we must know what to fix in our dance - the girls sat down closer, the rest had to step aside.

- Firstly, I am not criticizing the dance itself; here you copied it perfectly, so I gave you 10 points. Now that we know our grades, let's watch the video again. Keep a close eye on faces and body movements - including re-video, DaHyun said.

Momo, Mina and Sana, as well as Jeongyeon, who was sitting next to Sana (out of the corner of her eye) watched the performance again, carefully trying to figure out what the mistake was. But after watching the video, they shrugged their shoulders and looked up at DaHyun in bewilderment.

- Everything seems to be fine - Sana replied, to the girl's silent question, she sighed heavily, rewinding the video again and turning it on again.

This was repeated 5 more times, but no one saw a single mistake, they really didn't know what to answer DaHyun's question.

- How can you not see that you are dancing like robots, without emotion? You are not attracting the viewer to you! Nothing at all! Even your natural beauty does not play here! You just don't look attractive! - exclaimed DaHyun in annoyance, getting up from the table to walk a little back and forth between the tables of other visitors, not forgetting to take a closer look at EunJi (to make sure that no help is needed). But surprisingly, they had a fairly calm conversation, although the conversation was mainly conducted by EunJi (apparently talking about the past). With a satisfied sigh, having calmed down a little, DaHyun came back, sat down, and smiled at the sad three, said cheerfully:

- If there was flirting in your dance, I would give more points, but don't worry too much, you still did a great job, in such a short time. Although there was plenty of time for the dancers. Okay - clapped her hands, scaring Mina a little that she was sitting next to her, - who's next?

- We - dramatically raised her hand up Nayeon, then took each of her friends by the hands, dragged them closer to the vocal coach, formidable Kim DaHyun.

- Oh, the main vocal of the group! Great, I look forward to hearing your lovely voices. ”DaHyun whispered excitedly as she found their practice video and turned it on.

“We've changed a few things, I hope you like it,” she warned her as she nervously swallowed Jeongyeon.

- Now let's see - smiled DaHyun, completely immersed in the performance with the song T-ARA Day by Day.

NaJeongJi.

Jeongyeon hoped that all the kind words in the note were true and not false. It was clearly written: Homework is not an exam. Based on these words, the girls trained, thinking over new ideas for implementation. So there was a new arrangement of the melody, a little altered lyrics and almost no dance.

Jeongyeon flashed worriedly with the same worried looks of her teammates. From the first second the song started, DaHyun asked:

- Oh, it's strange, why can't I hear ... ah, did you remake the introduction? - Quickly looked at JiHyo, DaHyun returned to watching. A couple more seconds passed, DaHyun paused the video, scratched her chin thoughtfully, looking at Nayeon strangely. - You changed the dance, hmm, that's enough… - She mumbled the rest of the dance under her breath.

The song was almost over, the girl muttered to herself “interesting”, “unexpectedly”, “why”, when it was all over, took out the headphones, made a sign “quiet”, turned it on again and now plunged into the voices of NaJeongJi.

They waited for a verdict after the third listening, but the girl was silent, she was silent when she put the headphones on the table, closed her eyes, throwing her head back. Nayeon nodded to JiHyo, she shook her head negatively, she nodded to Jeongyeon, she made a “no” sign with her hands, Nayeon had to clear his throat, ask:

- And how do you, DaHyun?

- I don't know what to criticize here, since I hear a completely new song. Of course, it is commendable that you went with such a decision, but this is not exactly what I asked to do. I assumed that you can change the song, because you are the main vocalists of the group. To be honest, I'm shocked girls. I don't know what to say, I need to think.

- So ... - stretched Jeongyeon, fidgeting in her chair, - while you think, maybe watch the video of our maknae - imperceptibly looking at the clock, the time has passed twelve long ago, the free day is slowly disappearing.

- Good idea,- DaHyun agreed, sighing, opening her eyes, lazily shifting her gaze to the next table, noticing a familiar gesture from her sister's head. - Sorry girls, I just got up from my seat, went up to EunJi, holding her ear to whisper:

We're going for a walk. Don't worry about me, enjoy your time with your Chaeyoung. And be nice to them, Dubu, okay?

DaHyun looked at the calm Sooyoung in disbelief, looked at her sister, then sighed in surrender. DaHyun smiled at her, mechanically kissed her temple, said goodbye to them, returned to the table.

- Um, DaHyun, may I ask? If you don't want to, you don't have to answer, just ... - Nayeon hesitated, but then bravely asked: - Is she your girlfriend?

- Who? - did not understand DaHyun.

- She - pointed to EunJi that, passing by their table, said goodbye to her sister.

- EunJi-unnie? Ha-ha-ha - laughed loudly, completely surrendering herself in laughter, the others were silent, not joining her laugh. Calming down, wiping away a non-existent tear, DaHyun took a deep breath, said, “EunJi is my older sister, she was dating her friend, well, ex-girlfriend. In general, everything is complicated. I'm here for moral support.

- Your older sister - everyone breathed freely, especially Chaeyoung, who relieved her heart.

All the time, it was like a cat's nails were sharpening in her soul, Chaeyoung did not want to be there and see DaHyun constantly glancing at another girl at the next table. Chaeyoung didn't like her attention being distracted. She tensed when she saw those gentle and affectionate gestures. She wanted to get up and take DaHyun away from that girl and ... do something else.

DaHyun, who had been following Chaeyoung's eyes the entire time, saw her frowning, not noticing what she was doing, reaching out her hand and smoothing her eyebrows with her fingers. Their faces were very close, and something might have happened if it hadn't been for Tzuyu's cough.

Both girls blushed and pulled back sharply. Jeongyeon and Sana wanted to tease the embarrassed Chaeyoung, but Nayeon and JiHyo stopped by covering their mouths with their palms.

DaHyun cleared , shrugged her shoulders shyly to hide her flushed cheeks, and turned to her phone screen to reveal her final homework video.

ChaengTzu

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu chose the song F (x) Chu, completely remaking the rap part in their own words. Chaeyoung swallowed a nervous lump that had gathered in as she awaited criticism from DaHyun. The words for the previous teams were still ringing in her mind; she remembered how DaHyun didn't like that the Nayeon-unnie team had remade the whole song.

Probably now we will hear the same words. I only want to hear the praise from DaHyun-unnie.

DaHyun singled out their performance, barely heard their voices, merging together, pleasantly harmonious to the ear. She immediately drew attention to how the song was reworked; the new lyrics in the rap parts complemented the song, and did not spoil it. Quite interesting to the ear, she wanted to compliment. The song ended, DaHyun looked at the waiting maknae with a smile, clapped her hands:

- Finally, I heard what I wanted. You have completed it; you have managed to make even more interesting material than before. Thanks for your hard work, girls.

- Did you like it? True? - They exhaled with a joyful smile (before that they held their breath in the lungs) maknae-line.

- Highly. There were of course a couple of inaccuracies in pronunciation and you are not there. Where it should be stressed, but your rap, with new lyrics, playful remark for the guy, ah ... - put her hand on her heart, bowed her head, - my heart just melted. I am so pleased with you, my students - clapped my hands again.

- Chaeyoung came up with the idea to combine the past lyrics with the new rap lyrics, I honestly doubted, but I had to agree, because we are a team - she sincerely thanked her friend Tzuyu, her hair.

- Did you rap, Chaeyoung? By herself without prompts? What a fine fellow you are - complimenting DaHyun, for a while, forgetting that she was in love with her, and not shy in front of her, hugged her tightly, hugged her.

- I wasn't the only one doing all the work - Chaeyoung was completely embarrassed, making no attempt to break free from DaHyun's embrace.

I wish I could stay here longer – a thought flashed through her head, and when the thought became clear to herself, Chaeyoung moved away from DaHyun (almost having a heart attack).

- We thought that the younger ones would get high marks - unnie sighed dejectedly, jokingly looking at their friends. - DaHyun, now we know for sure that you have favorites.

- Yes, there is - the girl did not hide, still partially hugging Chaeyoung by the waist, - and to earn my favor, work hard, correct yourself. Now Chaeyoung and Tzuyu are getting higher marks than you. So, girls, you have 80 points in total. The Nayeon-unnie team has 65 points and the Momo-unnie team has 30 points.

- We got 65 points? - heard her name, roused Nayeon. - Why only 65 points?

- It takes a long time to explain, but I'm already tired, and I want to spend my free time with benefit, and you also want to end our meeting - sipping stiff muscles, DaHyun yawned tiredly, calling on the waiter to pay. - I'll just say: for the performance - 55 points, I liked how your voices smoothly transitioned from strong vocals to gentle whispers. The remaining 10 points for your work and diligence, but mostly due to the fact that I am in love with T-ARA and especially with this song Day by Day - the waiter brought the bill, DaHyun paid the required amount, refusing all unnie sitting at the table in advance what they will pay. Leaving the cafe with the girls, she smiled for the last time, waved her hand goodbye, went in the opposite direction.

- DaHyun-unnie, we're going to the amusement park, do you want to come with us? Chaeyoung asked after Tzuyu nudged her with her shoulder and JiHyo-unnie jokingly hinted, "Don't let your girlfriend go so easy."

-Sorry, Chaeyoung, but not today,- DaHyun smiled half-turned, - but thanks for the offer. See you next week, girls. Enjoy the rest of your free day.

-Bad luck, baby, but don't worry, you still have time. - Putting her hand on Chaeyoung's shoulders, Jeongyeon said, leading her away after the other girls.

- What time, what are you talking about, Jeongyeon-unnie? - noticing some sad notes in the tone of an older friend.

- Time until our debut, Chaeyoung. You need to decide what emotions live in your heart, so as not to make a mistake later, - Jeongyeon answered ambiguously, speeding up her pace, catching up with the others.

The next questions faded away on Chaeyoung's lips, the next steps they took to the park, the girl was silent, thinking about the words of unnie.

Everything is not clear to me yet, I seem to be walking along a foggy road. I don't know the way, but I see a warm glow ahead. I strive for it, for this light. When I get to him, I will understand my feelings.

- Hey, little animal, you are completely immersed in your thoughts and do not hear that we are communicating - breaking the thread of Chaeyoung's thoughts, she gently scolded Nayeon. - We are waiting for your answer, where would you like to go first?

- Oh, sorry, I want to ...