S1 | The Tryouts. [PART 1]

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Have you guys spoken to your father yet?"

"No."

"Nope."

I sighed. It had been almost a week since the incident with Tzuyu. Today was saturday and the triplets had a sleep over in my room because we had the tryouts for the Capture the Flag early this morning. Tzuyu was reading on the sofa, curled beside Mina who was looking throught a magazine. Nayeon and I sat at the table eating breakfast.

"Have you ever seen him?" I asked.

"Not since I'm living with Jeongyeon," Nayeon answered.

"And Tzuyu and I rented an apartament. So no, not at all," Mina finished. "And we have not gone home since."

"That really ." I told them.

"If Dad wants to lose his family by being a prejudice then let him," Nayeon sneered. "Where are you doing?" She asked Tzuyu who had gotten up from her spot. We were still keeping an eye on her every move.

"To the bathroom. I can leave the door open if you want."

"And see you in the toilet? No, thanks." Nayeon made a face. "You better be quick."

"Yes, your highness."

I stared at her and waited that she closed the door before I turned my attention to the girls.

"Quick change the subject; I want to take Tzuyu out on monday after the tryouts, but I have no idea what to do. What does she like?" They both stared at me.

"Uh..." Nayeon mumbled.

"Come on, I know she's not the talking type but you are her sisters. You should know something that she likes." I pressed.

"Count me out," Nayeon raised her hands. "I haven't had a decent conversation with her in six years."

"I spent more time getting her back on her feet and out of trouble. It always depended on her mood swing whether she liked to do one thing or another. Plus, what she used to like was either dangerous or illegal."

"Great, I have no idea what to do but we are certainly not going to do something illegal!"

"Hey, I know," Mina exclaimed. "Do something active. And don't go to the cinema, because she will have time to sulk in her misery."

"Thanks," I said as Tzuyu made her way back to us. I looked at the clock and got up. "We have to go if we want to make it in time for the tryouts." The sisters followed my movements and we set out towards the arena.

 

 

We arrived at the arena and were immediately swarmed by noises from the other students who showed up from the tryouts. There were about fifty people hanging and talking excitedly around the bleachers. We saw Jeongyeon in the crowd with her friends and made our way towards her to drop our gym bags. Everyone, including us was dressed in t-shirts and shorts for the upcoming event. Except for Tzuyu who, of course, kept her black hoodie and sweat pants.

"You are nervous baby?" Jeongyeon asked her mate. Nayeon shook her head.

"I'm so excited. I can't wait for it to start."

"I'm nervous." Mina said. I hugged her with one arm and grinned.

"You're going to be fine." I encouraged her.

"I'm scared for Tzuyu," She whispered low enough that only I could hear. We both looked at her sister who had lost any interest to her environment and played on her phone.

"We'll keep an eye on her." I said. From the corner of my eye I saw Kasumi and Taecyeon making their way towards us. Kasumi smiled while Taecyeon frowned at Tzuyu.

"Hello Sana, Jeongyeon. It's good to have you back this year." Kasumi said. "And hello Nayeon, Mina and Tzuyu. We are glad you made it here, Taecyeon and I are very interested in what you can provide today."

"Thank you," Mina replied. "We are very eager to be here."

"It doesn't look like it," Taecyeon grumbled staring at Tzuyu. "What's with the sweater, kid? Is this not good enough for you to put a shirt on?"

"There was no dress code in the regulations. I fail to see your point." Tzuyu said when she raised her head to meet Taecyeon's gaze.

"Coach Taecyeon, please. Tzuyu likes to dress that way but do not judge her for it. You would be bery surprised in what she can do during the tryouts." Mina said. To my left, I head Jeongyeon snort her disagreement. Of course she didn't see her dismember a guy with her magic or saw her drive her hand in someone's chest and rip his heart out but I was not going to say anything.

Showing nothing to the opponent so they believe she is weak and vulnerable and become overconfident with themselves is a nice strategy. She would use that confidence to create a surprise attack and hit them when they least expect.

There was a bong sound that echoed through the arena. All the students bundled up together while Taecyeon, Kasumi and Jihyo made their way to the front.

"Welcome students, to the first day of tryout for our Capture the Flag team." Taecyeon's voice beamed through the arena. "This is how it's going to work; Kasumi and I will be evaluating you during the day. We only take fifteen students to join the team, plus three rookies who will not be playing but will be training with the team while the rest of you will watch from the side lines. We will cut some of you on this first day and that means you can't come back. Every year there are some who try and fit in after we kicked them out of the arena and every year is the same results. We will not have poor sportsmanship either.

Remember, this sport depends on teamwork. If you cannot function with other people then you do not belong here and you can leave right now." He looked at Tzuyu when he said that but she stared back at him without flinching, "Today, we are going to look at your basic skills. We look at your strenghts and weaknesses, magic and combat. It will mostly be individual work and tomorrow will be teamwork and tactics. This year, our dear Jihyo is going to be helping Kasumi and I coach this team. She is our apprentice so if she tells you to do something, you shut up and do it.*" He screamed at the top of his lungs, "Now for the warmup, give me twenty laps around the arena."

Everyone started running at once like a stampede. Most of the students ran hard and strong, trying to show how fast they were. They were all most likely going to be cut because they waist too much energy within the first five minutes, they will not last the day.

Mina and I ran at a decent speed and unlock our muscles. We were in the middle of the group while Nayeon and Jeongyeon were in front of us talking animatedly together. I looked behind me and saw Tzuyu at the back of the group. She didn't seem enthusiastic to run.

"How did you make Tzuyu come?" I asked my friend.

"I told her it was this or I banned her coffee," We laughed. "There were a few more threats, but she caved in. I think this is a good rehab for her. She gets to fight, socialize (kind of) and I can watch her at all time."

Once we finished our run, the coaches made us do some push ups, sit ups, chin ups and squats. That was the end of our warm up. 

"The first task you must do is an obstacle course. You have 2 hours to finish it or you are out," Kasumi told us. "You are not allowed to slow down your opponents. That means no hitting or tripping and no magic against each other." She came closer to me and whispered, "You are not allowed to use your wings. Consider this early training." And to the crowd she roaned, "Begin!"

All fifty of us started to run. I ran through the field trying not to push people out of my way. It was not a sprint, but I run fast because I didn't want to waste my energy at the beginning. Without slowing down I spend into the forest. All we knew before the run was that she finishing line was at the top of a mountain. It doesn't matter how we get there as long as we do.

I dodged the blurry trees and tried not to trip on their roots. Before me, in between trees, were ropes tied up together creating a web barrier. Some students were climbing the ropes but I knew they weren't stable enough. I would spend too much time trying to keep my balance than actually passing through. Instead, I climbed one of the trees that were holding the ropes.

There were many branches where I could grab and I jumped down once I was at the top of it. Then I started running again. I couldn't see the mountain from inside the forest but I knew in which directions it was.

I skidded to a stop when I saw what I had to go through next. The river was not wide, but it was active. The runners tried to jump from rock to rock but it was either too slippery or too small. I felt a presence beside me and turned my head. Nayeon was standing beside me.

"You're not with Jeongyeon?" I asked her.

"We're competing against each other. The loser has to do everything the other says for a whole day," She grinned. "Imagine her at my mercy for one entire day?" I laughed because I couldn't see Jeongyeon doing that.

"Did you lready saw Jeongyeon in her wolf form?" I asked and Nayeon shook her head.

"No, why?" She asked and I smiled at her.

"Oh well, it's gonna be really interesting. She is a rare specie of wolf, It should be the first thing you ask her to show it if you win." Nayeon looked at me with a curious frown.

"Come on," I said and she ran alongside the river following me closely. We arrived at a wider part of the river but it was no longer in the rapids. We glanced at each other before we jumped into the water. Did I mention it was freezing cold? Nayeon and I swam our way across at a good pace and soon enough we were on the other side. We dashed around the trees again following each other. There were a lot less students around us by that time.

We made it to the bottom of the mountain. Now, for the hard part, we had to climb a rocky wall without any security. There was an easier trail but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter