Sneaking In

Playing Sherlock
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Let’s stay in close communication with each other with these Bluetooth mics”, Kei handed Daiki a small device that looks like an earphone bud and placed it on his right ear. They tested the piece of equipment to make sure that they could hear each other and set everything according to what they planned earlier this morning, “Remember… the goal is to check the CCTV footages on the day of Ryosuke’s accident. If you see yourself in any brink of danger, get yourself out!”

 

“I feel anxious about this”, Kim mumbled. It’s the first time one of them is going back to the office to get more clues on who the perpetrator was, and Daiki is the chosen one. Kei patted the shorter boy's shoulder and soon watched him get inside his car.

 

-

 

Daiki took a deep breath before pulling his own seatbelt on. He wiggled himself forward before hearing someone open the passenger seat’s door, “Amu-chan?”

 

“If you think I’m going to let you go back there alone, then you’re mistaken! I’m coming with you whether you like it or not”, Amu abruptly said while avoiding direct eye contact. She sounded like she wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer and even Daiki was surprised by her sudden outburst. She acted like she was a little kid begging for her parents to take her to Disney Land. It is indeed so unlike her to boss anyone around, “Let’s go!"

 

“B-But Amu-chan…”

 

“I don’t want to stay at home while my friends do all the work and get themselves in danger, so please, Dai-chan… let me come with you”, she continued without even letting Daiki protest.

 

Amu was expecting Daiki to argue back but the latter just chuckled, “If you’re gonna pull a cute face like that then, how can I refuse?”, he couldn’t stop a smile form on his face after seeing Amu pout, “But before we go…”

 

The girl stayed still and felt her heart rate increase as soon as she saw Daiki leaning sideward towards her direction and reached something on her left. Amu’s mind played tricks on her and thought Daiki was giving her a hug. Her eyes widened after seeing the guy’s neck only a few centimetres from her face, making her almost get a full whiff from his perfume. “I need to put your seatbelt on”, she heard him say. Her heart almost sank and told herself to calm down before Daiki notices her flustered face. She was lucky that Daiki immediately drove off after ensuring her belt was securely fastened.

 

 

Amu and Daiki walked in a steady pace towards the building’s ground floor where the main security office is located. The couple acted naturally to avoid anyone notice that they’re sneaking in.

 

“We’re nearly at the security office”, Daiki whispered at his earpiece to update Kim and Kei who were listening in at the other end of the line. Amu followed him from behind and waited for the security guards to clear the targeted room. The two then sneakily went in front of the security office and attempted to open the door.

 

“As far as I remember, the code is 28831”, he tried to punch in the said number, but the reader beeped twice, indicating that it was the wrong passcode. Daiki tried it three times, but the number failed again. He was almost sure that it was right since he had access to every room in the building when he became Ryosuke’s right hand man. “They must’ve changed all the passcodes across the building! I can’t get in”, he cursed.

 

“This is NOT good. Is there another way to open it?”, he heard Kei’s voice from his earpiece.

 

“It’s either the passcode or one of the security guard’s finger prints”, he replied and thought of an alternative way to enter the room.

 

“This idea may sound crazy, but we need Amu for this”, Kei replied. Amu fixed her own earpiece and listened diligently to Kei’s plan, “I need you to be friendly to one of the security guards and make them tell you the passcode”.

 

“WHAT?! NO WAY!”, Daiki answered, almost in a shout.

 

“Calm down, Arioka! I asked Amu to flirt with the guards, not you!”

 

“There’s no way I’ll let Amu-chan get close to those erts!”

 

“Do you have a better idea?!”

 

“I’ll do it!”, it was as if facing his own nightmare, Daiki heard Amu answer. The poor girl gathered all her strength and courage to get this mission done. She felt Daiki grabbing her arm as if begging her not to go but she was so determined to help her friends out that she went her way outside her comfort zone to undertake Kei’s plan. Soon, Daiki found himself frustrated in the side lines while the girl he likes go and get close to another guy.

 

 

“Anou… Kitamura-san?”, Amu gulped before gaining the attention of one of the security guards on parole. She had a glimpse at the guy’s name plate and aimed to be as friendly as possible. The man around late twenties looked at her in awe and admired how innocent Amu looked, “I was wondering if you can help me out? I lost my necklace somewhere. It was given by my late grandmother and had sentimental value. I was wondering if we can have a look at the CCTVs on where I might’ve dropped it?”.

 

“Uhm… Sure”, the guy cluelessly agreed to Amu’s wishes. Hearing all this, Kim and Kei were amazed on how Amu easily got him to agree, while our poor jealous penguin fought the urge punch someone on the face (mainly Kei Inoo for coming up with the idea).

 

Daiki hid himself behind one of the pillars and watched as Amu and the guard enter the Security Office.

 

Kitamura punched in the passcode and Amu tried to watch him as he did so. She tried her best to pay attention, but he pressed the numbers too quickly for the girl to catch. “Was it 29651? Or 27861? Yabai!”, she whispered to herself. By this time, she felt cold sweat running through the back of her neck.

 

The guard then went through the CCTV footages while Amu acted like she really lost her imaginary necklace. They took awhile to rampage through a day’s worth of recordings and the guy finally gave up, “I’m sorry Miss Kitagawa. I can’t seem to find anyone that might’ve picked up your necklace”.

 

“Eh? Uhmm… It’s okay. At least we tried. Thank you so much for your help, Kitamura-san”, she beamed a fake smile and held his hand like they’ve known each other for a long time, “I really appreciate your help”, Amu held his thumb and caressed it for a few seconds, making the guy blush from the cute girl’s sudden actions. The man then led Amu outside, not knowing what the girl is planning.

 

 

“Did you get the passcode?”, Daiki asked after ensuring that the security guard is nowhere in sight.

 

“No…”, Amu replied, making her friends’ hearts sink, “But… I have his finger print”.

 

“Eh? How?”

 

“I watched this in detective shows. I placed a scotch tape on his thumb”, she pulled out a piece of tape she preserved carefully on her right hand. She firmly pressed the said tape on the sensor of the finger print reader, hoping that her plan will work. Amu and Daiki held their breaths before hearing whirling of the locks and a green light indicating grant of access.

 

“Amu-chan, you’re a genius!”, Kim said excitedly over her mic. The couple then went inside and immediately rampaged the computer. Amu watched Daiki work his magic onto the system, going through each file as quickly as possible to prevent getting caught.

 

“November 17 at 13:19 in the afternoon”, he mumbled to himself while figuring out the right file name of the footage. He clicked at the exact date and time when Ryosuke was held against his will. However, Amu and Daiki’s hopes hit rock bottom after playing the said videos.

 

“Guys! What’s wrong? Why aren’t you talking? Tell us what you see!”, Kim demanded, itching to know what is recorded.

 

“T-The cameras were disabled that day”, Amu replied after seeing a grey and static screen in front.

 

“What do you me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter