Re:Mind

Playing Sherlock
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

“AMU! THANK GOD YOU’RE SAFE!”, Kim hugged the girl in front of her, not minding Kei and Daiki standing just behind. When Amu explained what happened to Kim over the phone, the older girl immediately came over to Inoo’s house after ensuring Ryosuke’s safety in the hospital. With much relief, she pulled her tighter and subconsciously checked her whole body for any signs of injury. It was not long when her gaze landed on one guy that didn’t fail to make her skin crawl – Kei Inoo.

 

“YOU! NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS WHEN I SEE YOU! WHY DID YOU KIDNAP AMU-CHAN?!”, Kim broke the hug and immediately Kei. Taken aback from her sudden outburst, Kei took a few steps back into his own living room, terrified of being devoured by the younger girl.

 

How did they know each other, you ask? Well, Kim and Kei went to the same college together and they usually drive each other CRAZY! Kim basically hates Kei’s guts for being such a playboy and a flirt, while the latter just enjoys teasing her in return.

 

 

“KIDNAP? What do you mean kidnap her? I’m the one who opened my home to your friend! Instead of blaming me, why don’t you try being… I don’t know, GRATEFUL?!”, Kei said sarcastically, making the girl glare back at him.

 

“Amu-chan, why in the world did you trust this Inuu (dog)?!”, Kim turned to Amu who seems to be having trouble calming the couple down. She wondered how these two will ever work together for Ryosuke's sake. They’re basically stabbing each other with their sharp stares and continually exchanged heated insults.

 

“I should ask Amu-chan the same question. Why did she ever become friends with a violent woman like you?”, Kei countered.

 

As the two “supposed to be adults” continued with their banters, Daiki thought it was best to stop them before they murder each other on the spot. They have a bigger problem to address and they must put their heads together to save their friend’s life.

 

-

 

“If wasn’t for Ryosuke being in hospital, I wouldn’t even think of working with this ert”, Daiki was thankful that Kim finally regained her senses and was able to focus, “I can’t believe this happened! Two years ago, it was his parents and now, him! You think this is all planned?”

 

“I know it is! The police report says the brakes on his car didn’t work and it was all an “accident” but that’s bullsh*t! He was with someone when he left the building so it may be that he was forced to drive knowing that the brakes are already tampered with”, frustrated, Daiki’s fist formed into a ball, fighting the urge to punch someone.

 

“But how can we prove that?”

 

“How about the CCTVs in the building? They might have caught something!”, Kei suggested. Amu, Daiki and Kim obviously thought it was a good idea since for the first time since Ryosuke’s accident, their faces lit up.

 

“I think I can get access to the security room. Leave that one to me”, Daiki volunteered.

 

“Also, I’m not 100% sure of Yama-chan’s safety in that hospital. Whoever did this obviously manipulated the police to give a false report. What if they do something to Yama-chan whilst he’s lying in that hospital bed alone and unable to fight back?”, Amu said in a weary voice.

 

“You’re right. What if their intention is not only for him to be hospitalised but actually kill him? Knowing that they haven’t finished the job, that means Yama-chan is still in danger”, with what Kei said, the three remaining people looked at him in worry. It was like he said the worst-case scenario, enough to send shivers up their spines. “That means we can’t trust anyone from the hospital at all. It kills me to say it, but I don’t think it’s wise to tell the police. We don’t know what they’ll do to us if we did. Especially we have no idea who could’ve done this”

 

“Well, thank you for that very disturbing thought, Inoo-chan! I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep thinking about what you said!”, Daiki buried his face on his palms while thinking about Ryosuke’s wellbeing. He is now cursing himself for not able to protect his own best friend when he had the chance.

 

Kim, Kei, Amu and Daiki fell in silence for a while. Their pounding heart beats rebelled against the sound of the ticking clock in Kei’s living room.

Only a few seconds had passed when suddenly…

 

“Ah! Rio-chan!”, Kei said almost in a shout, gaining all pairs of eyes in his direction.

 

“Is she one of your girls too?”, Kim rolled her eyes in sarcasm, annoyed at how inappropriate Kei is being, mentioning a ‘girl’ in the middle of fixing their dilemma. It might be jealousy talking, but knowing Kim, she’s never going to admit this to herself.

 

“No! She’s my childhood friend. I just remembered she works in the hospital Yama-chan is at. We can hire her privately as his personal doctor. She can make sure that no one unauthorised touches Yama-chan”, Kei explained and felt proud of his idea. Even Kim herself, was impressed.

 

 

“I hate to say it, but I guess I have to trust you and your lady-friend. I’m Yama-chan’s Next of Kin so I can arrange that. But for now, can we please visit him? It kills me not knowing if he’s okay!”, Kim demanded. She soon pulled Amu and prompted her to put her coat on.

 

“We’re coming too!”, itching to know Ryosuke’s condition, the two boys followed Amu’s actions and the four of them went their way to the hospital.

 

 

 

“Is it me or does he still look handsome despite having a cast and a large bandage on his head?”, Daiki tried to lighten up the mood while the four of them stared at Ryosuke’s face lying peacefully on the hospital bed. He is attached with several wires connecting to a cardiac monitor, alongside a few drips running through his veins.

 

“Dude, back off. Yama-chan is mine”, Kei joked and earned chuckles from his friends. It feels like it’s been while since they had a chance to laugh amongst themselves. Somehow, seeing Ryosuke safe and sound made them feel a bit relieved and forgot about the dangers ahead. He’s still unconscious, but for them, as long as he is alive and breathing, it’s as good as winning the lottery.

 

“Are you sure your ‘lady friend’ can take care of my cousin?”, Kim questioned. You can sense in her tone that she has doubts on Kei’s judge of character.

 

“Can't you trust me just for once?”

 

“Nope”, she teased, pushing the boy to his lim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter