chapter 2

noche oscura [discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

okay there's a tiny bit of plot weaved in this chapter. kinda, but not really

When they reach the house Hyukjae’s servants all have their heads bowed and even though Donghae is mud-soaked stinky there is a certain air of confidence and certainty that comes with him that’s not like any others.

Hyukjae keeps a friendly distance from Donghae and rolls his eyes when he sees a few girls gathered together at the back of the kitchen and giggling with their faces in their hands, gushing over Donghae’s good looks. He knows instantly these girls are new because those who have been here a long time know never to ogle at Donghae’s good looks, at least not when Hyukjae is here too.

It’s never been explicitly told to the public that the two men are an item, but even the blind can tell there’s something more than good ol’ friendship between them.

If not from the way they’re practically glued together every moment they can find, then at least from the way Hyukjae looks at Donghae and the way Donghae looks at Hyukjae; even amidst the glitz and glamour they are still the best thing the other has ever laid eyes on.

They head straight for Hyukjae’s room and Hyukjae stops Leeteuk in his tracks before he can move to enter the room.

“Can’t we get some time alone?” Hyukjae whines as he sees Leeteuk shifting to get behind the door.

“Hyukjae-ssi, there is an event that you must attend tomorrow and I need to brief you on it. It won’t take long if you’d just cooperate,” Leeteuk says in the usual professional tone of his. Today it sounds a little patronising, but Hyukjae could be just sensitive because Donghae is right here and they haven’t been together for 3 months. That’s 3 months too long.

Donghae puts down his duffel bag by the laundry basket and comes around to kiss Hyukjae on the side of his head.

“It’s okay, you do your thing Hyukkie. I’ll just take a shower first.”

Leeteuk sends Donghae a grateful gaze and Hyukjae sighs as he opens the door a little to let Leeteuk into the room.

Hyukjae moves to sit on the lounge chair and accepts the folder Leeteuk passes to him. He hears the shower starts in the bathroom.

He flips through the documents absent-mindedly as he runs his finger down the smooth pages. Seeing the formal dress code and the location, he already knows what the conversation is going to be about.

As if on cue, Leeteuk asks, “You know it’s the big fundraising gala tomorrow night, right?”

Hyukjae scoffs a little as he says, “It’s a little difficult not to. My father talks about it at every meal. And I’ve only eaten with him twice this week.”

“Anyway, the biggest investors and entrepreneurs will all show up tomorrow. And he needs you there to charm them onto his side, especially the younger ones who can barely stand to hold a conversation with him. You know how important tomorrow is for him, don’t you? It’s the best chance for your father to score the network that he needs for his re-election campaign,” Leeteuk informs him.

Hyukjae sits in silence and stares at a spot on the vast white wall in front of him.

He worries his bottom lip between his teeth as his heart picks up while his brain replays the words ‘investors’ and ‘entrepreneurs’ and ‘network’.

“Hyung, is he… going to be there?” Hyukjae mumbles under his breath and feels his heartbeat getting out of control. His vision starts to blur and he tries to take in a few deep breaths to stop the panic attack he knows is well on its way.

Leeteuk shifts to place a hand on Hyukjae’s shoulder in a bid to comfort him. “Mr Kang runs the biggest company in the manufacturing industry now. Your father needs to-”

Hyukjae grabs the hand Leeteuk left on his shoulder and holds on to it earnestly. “Hyung, please, I can’t be in the same room as him.”

Leeteuk feels his heart clench at the sight of Hyukjae cowering up like a little boy the way he never used to, but hears the running shower in the bathroom stop and so he says, “I promise to protect you. I am sworn to that duty, Hyukjae-ssi.”

The panic in Hyukjae’s eyes doesn’t cease but Leeteuk glances at the bathroom to warn Hyukjae that Donghae may make his way out any time now.

Hyukjae closes his eyes and tries to focus on steadying his breathing. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

The bathroom door clicks and Leeteuk stands as Donghae walks out of the bathroom.

“That’s all I have for now, sir. The rest of the details for the fundraising gala can be found in the document. If you need me, you know where to find me,” Leeteuk says and makes a move to leave the room.

He stops in his tracks all of a sudden as if remembering something, before turning back to say to Donghae, “Congratulations on your promotion, Donghae-ssi. And welcome home.”

Donghae sends him a smile as he mutters a soft ‘thank you’ shyly.

Leeteuk gives him a clipped nod before turning to look at Hyukjae, who still hasn’t looked up and is fiddling with the string on the folder. He decides to leave the room and closes the door behind him to give them some privacy.

Hyukjae feels Donghae’s gaze on him but doesn’t have the courage in him just yet to look up at Donghae who’s standing in front of him and smelling a little like sandalwood and very much like home.

“You okay?” Donghae asks as he tilts Hyukjae’s head upwards gently for him to meet his eyes.

Hyukjae looks away and sighs a little. “Just a little stressed out, is all.” He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter