Chapt. 05

Half Cursed Half Blessed

 


Dahyun was rather confused, yet happy at the same time. When she walked into school many students didn't have their eyes or their mouths talking about her, Dahyun was happy about that, she finally could get away from the attention. What confuses her though, was that everyone was focused in groups, they were louder in usual and they all seemed very excited. Was there an upcoming event that Dahyun doesn't know about?

Dahyun decided to brush it off and head towards her locker, she needed a few textbooks for the classes today. Dahyun opened her locker and started taking out and putting back in books.

"Did you hear about the brawl happening after school?"

"Ya, who are the people brawling?"

"Momo and Sana," Dahyun froze, Momo? Sana? Brawling? Why? Dahyun didn't mean to eavesdrop on the two girls currently a few meters beside her but she was now really curious.

"Why are they brawling?"

"I'm not sure, all I heard was that they were brawling for someone,"

"Really? And wait, Momo? The gladiator trait? And Sana? The cupid trait?"

"Yeah, believe it or not, they are brawling each other,"

"But isn't Momo one of the strongest Angels here?"

"Exactly, I just hope Sana has a plan to not get obliterated,"

"I hope so too, it's time for class, let's go,"

The two quickly left the lockers with a dumbfounded Dahyun froze at hers. Dahyun's mind was overflowing with questions, all needing an answer. Was this what everyone was talking about right now? Dahyun needed an explanation and the only way to get it was during lunch. Dahyun locked her locker and rushed to class, hoping that time will fly faster than Jeongyeon.
.
.
.
.
It was the first time students had seen Dahyun rush out of class that quick when lunch period started, running quickly towards the cafeteria. Dahyun quickly spotted the group and slowed down, composing herself before approaching them.

"Hey," Dahyun greeted quietly towards the group, the group returned the greeting and Dahyun sat beside Momo, confused on why Momo's head was down and why Sana wasn't here like usual. Dahyun noticed an uneasy tension between the group, Momo being the most obvious. Momo sighed before slowly turning towards Dahyun.

"So, I don't know if you've heard-"

"I heard, is it true?" Dahyun interrupted, Momo turned her head back and lowered it again.

"Yes," Momo answered quietly.

"Why the two of you? Why the sudden brawl?" Dahyun asked.

"Sana challenged me, not accepting no as an answer," Momo replied with a soft weak chuckle.

"Why did she challenge you?" Dahyun continued asking.

"I honestly don't know what happened to Sana, all of a sudden she was super mad at me and then challenged me," Momo lifted her head a little to look at Dahyun.

"What's the reason she was mad?" Dahyun turned her head too, to look at Momo.

"You,"

"M-Me?" Dahyun stuttered, feeling heat rushing to her cheeks.

"Whoever wins gets to have you," Momo smiled softly. Dahyun's mind went blank, unable to process, Dahyun tried to reboot her mind and there was still an error in processing. A brawl? Between Momo and Sana, because of her. Dahyun cursed to herself, she shouldn't have been so involved, this shouldn't have happened, she shouldn't have been with them. Dahyun kept quiet, thinking deeply to herself but was interrupted by another heavenly chuckle.

"If you're wondering why I would still be going to the brawl, I myself am not sure, maybe because I like you too, I honestly don't know. However, my goal here is to get Sana back, your heart is just a side mission that doesn't have a deadline," Dahyun could see Momo with a slight smirk from her peripheral vision. Dahyun started to panic, quickly bring her hands up to cover her face, hiding the deep crimson forming on her face. Dahyun started to get flustered and Momo finds it cute but decided to change the topic.

"Speaking of Sana, I haven't seen her all day, she isn't even here at lunch," Momo spoke towards the others. The others agreed too and found it rather strange, Sana loved lunch period, so was surprising how Sana skipped her favourite period.

"What my biggest concern right now is how the school knows about this already in just a day," Jeongyeon added.

"You know that news will break out really quickly here," Chaeyoung shrugged.

"But still, how did students here already know about it? Wasn't it supposed to be a secret or something? Unless one of us told someone," Mina frowned.

"Well we can't say for sure, all we know now is that Momo and Sana are going to have audiences," Jeongyeon said looking at Momo with concern. Momo sighed deeply and placed her head on the table,

"Great, just great," Momo mumbled, barely audible to the others.

"Don't worry Unnie, you'll do fine, just avoid Sana's attacks and don't attack Sana," Tzuyu reassured.

"Tzuyu is right, Momo, this brawl you're going defence, don't even try to attack Sana, you don't know your own strength, try to bargain with Sana and try to reason with her," Jeongyeon instructed. Momo nodded weakly, head still heavy on the table, Momo had no idea how all this would turn out, she knew there's no persuading Sana, she's insistent and sometimes stubborn in what she wants. Momo let out a groan as silently as she could, however, it didn't go unnoticed by Dahyun, who had been watching her the whole time. Dahyun's head started to hurt, she still had no idea why they would brawl over her, she really shouldn't have been so comfortable. At that point, Dahyun swore to herself she had to do something between the two and end this brawl before it gets too bad.
.
.
.
.
The time had finally arrived, students already gathering at the school's arena, sitting down on the benches and feeling excited. Momo didn't what this time to come, she didn't even want to step into the school's arena. Momo hadn't seen Sana all day, if she did it would only be a glimpse, Sana had been rushing around the whole day, maybe avoiding Momo? Who knows. Momo took a deep breath, entering the back of the arena and into the protected cell, where the group was already there, getting everything ready. Momo smiled weakly, putting down her things and stretching her limbs. Momo was beyond nervous, she and Sana had been in fights before, but rather the childish kinds. This was an entirely different story, Sana had never challenged her to a brawl before. What's worse was that Sana knew everything about Momo, her strengths and most of her weaknesses while Momo only knew Sana's strength. Sana wasn't the one to open about her weaknesses, she would hide it behind a smile, Momo did try and get it out of her by all means, unfortunately, it was easier said than done. Momo knew then that Sana was insistent and hard to persuade and now knowing she has to fight Sana had her break into a cold sweat.

Momo changed into lighter clothes, the ones she would use for training, she wasn't planning on fighting hard. After a few minutes, Momo was regretfully ready. Everyone wished her luck and stepped back, not before praying that everything will go well for the two.

Dahyun was confused on how they do brawls, missing years of the outside world she was sure she was the only one who didn't know.

"Can you explain to me what's going to happen?" Dahyun shyly asked Jeongyeon nodded and began.

"Right now, we're waiting for clearance, meaning there will be a whistle that signals that the arena and the two opponents are ready, once the whistle had been heard, the iron gates in front of the two opponents will raise," Jeongyeon explained. Dahyun could see the students from her standpoint, students where excited, jumping up and down, cheering. It was then the loud whistle was announced, the gates started to rise slowly, everyone saying their last good lucks to Momo. Momo nodded and hesitantly stepped forward and walking towards the centre point, meeting with Sana, who had deep visible anger in her eyes. Sana was more armoured up then Momo, Sana had a bow and quiver on her back and something visible in her left compartment.

"You see that person there on top?" Jeongyeon pointed, Dahyun looked up to see a woman in full white, with a mask on her face and her big wings slightly opened standing on a tall pillar or stand.

"That's Jihyo, the president of the current Student Council. It is said that she is part of the god bloodline, meaning her family is related to gods by blood. Not much is known about Jihyo or which god she was related to, for now, she is holding this brawl, meaning she will start it and end it with the winner." Jeongyeon explained. Jihyo lifted her arm and spread her wings, her wings illuminated the arena. Momo and Sana followed, opening their wings.

"What they are doing now is called 'Confirmation, Jihyo is asking the confirmation of the two brawlers, so she opens she wings to know if they accept the brawl, as you saw, Sana quickly opened her wings, meaning she is giving the confirmation that she accepts this brawl. While Momo was rather hesitant and opened her wings slower than Sana did. For this to be confirmed you must open your wings fully. For demons, their tail must be up straight with no curves and they must touch horns,"

Jihyo puts her arms together and opened them up quickly, a force field quickly appearing and sealed the surrounding around them, sealing them away from the audience.

"This is for the protection of students and to prevent any cheating, noises will be blocked from the audience for fair play, all electronic devices or machinery will be shut down due to the negative effect of the force field," Jeongyeon pointed out. "To officially start a brawl, the two must shake hands with each other and proceed to each of their sides. Sana is left and Momo is right. 2 whistles will be whistled, one to deploy any weapons and the second one to signal that the brawl had begun,"

Momo and Sana lifted their hands towards each other, shaking them. Momo felt the strong grip of Sana's hand and grew more nervous. The two then turned around and walked to their spots. The two waited for the whistle, when the first one sounded, Sana took out her bow and loaded an arrow.

Momo sighed, and opened her wings, Momo placed her two fingers on her forehead, causing a yellow lightning to spark, the lightning travelled towards her entire body, the small lighting soon turned to metal, giving Momo armour and a gladiator helmet on her head, the lightning went towards her left arm and formed a big round shield, securing tightly around Momo's arm. Momo withdrew back her fingers and a long sharp gladiator sword appeared in hand. This was how you activate a gladiator trait. Sana smirked, seeing the very familiar armour, shield and sword.

Jihyo gestured towards Sana, Sana giving a big nod, Jihyo then proceeded to gesture towards Momo, receiving a small nod from Momo. Jihyo nodded before placing her arms down and walking back slowly to sit down on her chair and sit down to watch the brawl.

"When you fight in a brawl, you each will take turns to attack while the other defends, for now, Momo is only going to fake attack, and aim away from Sana. It would be fairer. This will continue on until the other surrender or faints. It is said to not to call it a tie or else another brawl will be declared due to unfinished business," Jeongyeon explained further.

The second whistle was announced. The brawl had begun. Sana had the first move, Sana quickly launched an arrow towards Momo, Momo dodged it easily, what she didn't expect was that it would explode. It exploded on Momo, causing Momo to fly and hit the ground hard. Everyone was shocked while Sana smirked widely.

"Since when did you get explosive arrows?" Momo asked to herself, before she could do anything, she looked up to see a herd of arrows being launched in the air and directing down towards Momo. Momo luckily reacted quickly, instantly getting on her feet and flying up in the air, avoiding arrows.

"Must have gotten arrows from an archer," Momo mumbled to herself, looking down at Sana. Sana stopped as it was Momo's turn, Momo dove down towards Sana and aimed towards the ground in front of Sana's feet, Momo purposely swung her sword late, giving Sana a lot of time to dodge it. Sana jumped back before Momo hit the ground.

"Something wrong Momo? You aren't that slow," Sana laughed a little.

"Sana, you don't want to do this!" Momo pleaded, only making Sana laugh harder.

"Why? So that Dahyun could be yours? I don't think so, it's my turn," Sana smirked, Sana continued firing explosive arrows left and right, which were harder for Momo to dodge them fully without getting hurt.

"What you didn't know Dahyun, was that although they can't hear the audience, the audience can hear them, I'm not sure why it's only a one-way thing," Jeongyeon explained. Dahyun looked at the two, Momo trying to her best to avoid arrows while Sana was firing them endlessly, Dahyun had heard what Sana said, giving her an urge to come between them.

"Has anyone interrupted a brawl?" Dahyun asked.

"If one is to interrupt a brawl, that Angel or Demon has to be a more powerful one to be able to interrupt, if you are weaker than the two then the interruption will be called off and the brawl will continue. There must be a valid reason for the interruption, if the reason is invalid, the brawl will continue," Jeongyeon answered, Dahyun nodded and looked back. It was currently Momo's turn, Dahyun watched as Momo weakly swung her sword towards Sana, keeping a distance.

"This is not how you fight Momo! I know you, give me your full strength! Why are you holding back?!" Sana shouted in anger. This was a different Sana fighting Momo, a different Sana in the arena.

"I don't want to hurt you Sana!" Momo shouted back.

"Why? Because I'm your best friend? Or are you just weak? Because of Dahyun?" Sana shouted louder, approaching Momo.

"No! It's not about Dahyun!" Momo held her shield up, getting ready for an attack.

"Don't lie to me Momo! I know you like her! But you can't have her!" Sana shouted again, raising her bow towards Momo.

"Sana you don't want to do this!" Momo started to step back.

"And why not? Are you scared? Maybe it's because of your parents," Sana laughed.

"Oh no," Dahyun heard Mina muttered.

"Don't you dare bring them up! You know about this Sana!" Momo started to grip her sword tighter.

"Sorry, it's just you're as weak as them! They left you Momo, they neglected you!" Sana continued.

"Oh my god Sana, what have you done?!" Mina shouted.

Momo stood in place with her head down, not moving a muscle.

"Oh? Are you thinking about them? Face it Momo, you're just like them," Sana smirked.

"I'm not," Momo spoke softly.

"Then prove it," Sana deadpanned. "Right now it looks like you're like them,"

"This is not you Sana, what on earth happened to you?" Mina spoke softly.

Momo's breathing started to get heavy, she started to move forward, with heavy steps.

"I'm not like them..." She repeated, moving towards Sana. Sana smirked widely again, she fired an arrow towards Momo, Momo quickly swung her sword towards it and cut it in half.

"Yes," Sana said to herself. Momo started to walk towards her faster and chanting louder.

"Just like them," That was it for Momo, she snapped. Momo started to scream, screaming she was not, she ran towards Sana, cutting the fired arrows towards her in half. Momo jumped up in the air and landed hard in front of Sana, she swung quickly, Sana was barely able to dodge them, Sana wanted to draw an arrow, however, Momo quickly snatched the arrow away from Sana and snapped it in half, throwing it back to Sana. Momo kicked Sana down, Sana fell to the ground and crawled back as Momo came closer, Momo drew her sword up in the air. Before she swung it down towards Sana, Sana quickly took out something from her left compartment and aimed it towards Momo. Momo was hit in the face with so much force she was flung backwards, all the way to the other end of the arena.

Sana caught her breath and stood up, thinking there was a chance she had won, but it was thrown out the window when Momo painfully stood up, filled with anger. Momo glared at Sana, Sana had a staff hidden away.

"This is allowed?" Dahyun asked. Jeongyeon nodded.

"Yes, in every brawl you can bring up to two weapons only, however, you can only deploy your second weapon if you're first one can't be used or was destroyed, like Sana's," Jeongyeon explained.

"Does Momo have a second weapon?" Dahyun asked again.

"For a gladiator trait, no, Momo only has a main weapon and shield. Although, Momo has something else, which hopefully it won't be used," Jeongyeon answered.

"And what's that?" Dahyun scratched her head.

"I too am not sure, only Momo knows and maybe even Sana," Jeongyeon replied. Dahyun couldn't take it anymore, she turned around and reached for her pocket and pulled out a dark red potion.

Momo was too angered to think properly, she wasted no time charging at Sana, Sana continued firing what she fired before at Momo, Momo did her best to dodge it and also used her sword and shield to block them, Momo continued moving towards Sana. Sana smiled, pressing a button on it and charging at Momo too. The two were about to end it, they were about to end each other, but at the last minute a force pushed them away, a force so strong it paralyzed them as well, the force was sudden, causing dust and dirt to fly everywhere and fog the area. When the fog cleared everyone was shocked.

There stood Dahyun, kneeling on one knee and surrounded by a force field with electricity sparking in it. Dahyun took back in the electricity, along with the force field, but that was one of two that shocked everyone. Due to the impact and force, Dahyun's hood and cap were off along with her face mask, showing her full face to the public. Dahyun had a clear head with no horns and a clear mouth with no fangs.

"This brawl has to stop," Dahyun spoke sternly, the two were still paralyzed on the ground, Jihyo stood up from her seat and walked up.

"Reason?" Jihyo's voice echoed the entire arena.

"The two of them are brawling because of me, if I'm correct, they both have feelings for me. Instead of brawling each other, I would like to settle this problem with them together," Dahyun explained confidently.

"Very well, the brawl is off," Jihyo commenced. The force field soon evaporated into thin air, slowly, the paralysis effect wore off and Momo and Sana slowly got up. Dahyun went to Sana with a deep frown.

"Why Sana?" Dahyun asked calmly. Sana sighed, guessing she had to tell everyone what had happened.

"I'll tell you when we're not in public," Sana replied. Dahyun only nodded. Sana and Momo took in Dahyun's features, she was so beautiful yet they didn't see anything that would make her hide her face, she was perfect. Dahyun had around an hour felt before the potion wears off, and quickly gathered her cap and mask before joining the others.

Jeongyeon sighed in relief, thankful that the two and Dahyun were safe and the brawl was off. Jeongyeon smiled softly and turned around and took a step forward before accidentally kicking something on the ground. Jeongyeon looked down to see what she kicked, it was a small bottle. Jeongyeon bend down and picked it up, it's high resembled a potion bottle, the size and the cork was the same except the shape was a bit different from the Angel Potion. It was a cylindrical bottle, while the Angel potions are circular. Jeongyeon shrugged and placed it in her pocket, brushing off the thought till next time and joined the others exiting the arena.

-

"Today was an eventful day," Chaeyoung commented as they reached the gate.

"Sana, you still owe me and Momo an explanation," Dahyun reminded, the potion had worn off so Dahyun was wearing her cap and mask again, which confused the gang knowing there was nothing wrong with her face but Dahyun was insistent on wearing them.

"We'll come by your house tomorrow and I'll explain," Sana smiled softly.

"W-What?! Wait I-"

"Oh, it's late, we better head back, we still need to go grocery shopping," Mina said, checking the time.

"Alright, we all should go home," Jeongyeon gestured to everyone. Everyone agreed, bit their goodbyes and left.

Dahyun groaned, she had just dealt with a big problem, now she has to deal with an even bigger problem, cleaning her house and clear off all the Demon related things. That thought made Dahyun cursed again.

_______________

Author's note:
I'm terrible at writing fight scenes.