Momenatre Gallery

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mina feels strangely peaceful in Chaeyoung's room. As if she's found a place where her nightmares are gone, her terror stop, her grief is consoled. Through the crack in the curtains Mina could see the outside world, blanketed in white, still and beautiful. Inside it is warm and silent, only the odd tick and hiss of the central heating to interrupt her thoughts.
There, she could almost hear ber heartbeat. She realizes, to her surprise, that she quite liked it. How fast it beating.

 

In the corner is an old leather armchair with a reading light, and Mina curls upon it with Chaeyoung's medical records. She read, and occasionally glances up and checks Chaeyoung sleeping peacefully. She suddenly stops in a chart and points a finger on a paper, "Lung cancer? First diagnosis in September 2nd 2017." 'That was when we were in middle school. How come I didn't know anything?' Mina thoughts. She looks over the record, staring straight at him. 'Did you hide it all this time? Why, why did you chose to suffer alone?'

 

Mina perches on the side of his bed and feels his forehead, her fingers soon carefully trail over his features. He is still a little warm, but nothing like he has been. Her brow's raises when she notices his mouth quiver in a mutter. She leans forward but fails to catch his words. Mina watches as Chaeyoung's eyes flutter open and close, then he curves another huge smile on his face while curling his fingers into her right hand. She smiles and hums as she leans closer again and this time, she heard it, clearly.

 

"Rene-ah" He calls in a heavy breath and falls into slumber again.

 

Mina's eyes twitch hearing the name. She slowly draws away and freed her hands off his grips, weaving slightly to the bedside chair. She stays unmoved for a while before standing up and roams her eyes around the room. When she caught a photo frame hangs in the left corner of the wall, she trudges towards it. She didn't notice the photos before as she was too preoccupied with Chaeyoung and the bed lamp is the only source of light, it's hard to recognize who's inside the frame. Now, upon realising, she takes one and brings it to the light. The shadows clear away and the photo frames hold a picture of him in his wheelchair and a girl with arms wraps around his shoulder, hugging him for behind. It was a snapshot of Chaeyoung and Irene, the day he was discharged from the hospital after his chemotherapy.

 

Focusing on Chaeyoung, there is something that Mina finds fascinating in his smiles and in his eyes. Her gaze lifts to the next person and she wonders, 'Is it Irene-unnie, who had been by your side?' Her eyes closed, squeezing shut for a moment. She is suddenly reminded by the pictures she found, five years ago. Mina raised herself up with unexpected strength for one piercing gaze and moves to the bed. A wincing, pained expression plastered on her face, 'I don't want to doubt your love, I wanted to believe in you. Even if your heart changed, I wouldn't blame you either.'

 

Mina squeezed his hands and smiles "Chaeyoungie, my letter. Do you remember the promise I wrote in it? I suppose you couldn't forgive me. I'm sorry. If only I had known what you've been through. I would've come sooner." She stands and fixes the duvet, admiring his face for one last time. "Still, I hope you trust what I wrote in the letter, because for every word, I mean it"

 

Only an hour ago the blackness is absolute, but now the mist is visible, silvery. The sky has softened to a blue and the clouds are blushed like a ripe mango. Mina decides it is time to leave. The snow is still falling, lightly. Where it caught the porch glow through the window it is bathed in a pale-gold as the sunlight gently kisses Chaeyoung's face. He stirs, and Mina leapt out of the chair to draw the curtains closed, afraid it'll disturb his sleep.

 

Mina turns to the radio and listens to the morning news about the weather. The snowfall warning has ended. She packs her stuff, leaving no traces and quietly walks out of the room.

 

"Are you leaving now Miss?" Mr Kang chimes in as Mina slide the door behind her close. She turns to the butler and nods. "Why don't you stay for breakfast?" Mr Kang adds, gesturing to the dining room direction.

 

The rich aroma coming from the kitchen is promising a delightful taste, but Mina has no appetite to even consider eating now. Besides, she wanted to leave as soon as possible and not dragging her time here. She shakes her head, declining the offer. "I'm okay. Thank you Mr Kang, instead can you do me a favour?"

 

"Sure, it would be my pleasure" Mr Kang smiles.

 

Mina steps closer hesitantly, knowing her favour might hard to fulfilled "Chaeyoung medical records..can I have a copy of it?" She examines the butler's reaction, who's avoiding her eyes and purses his lips. "I'm sorry, I crossed the line. Just please don't tell anyone I visited here." Mina adds, sighing. She's about to excuse herself when the butler suddenly steps forward.

 

"If Miss could give me an email address, I'll send young master's chart in documents" He smiles softly. Mr Kang ponders a while for Mina's second request as he thinks Chaeyoung has to know who had helped them and takes care of him over the night. But, noticing the desperation looks in Mina's face, he agreed. "Rest assured. I wouldn't tell anyone."

 

They exchange farewell greeting in the living room as Mina insist not be send to the gate. She clutches the strap of her purse as she pushes the main door open, sparing another look on the wooden slides door. Mina drops her gaze then caught the sight of the maids bringing fresh vegetables and fruits in a glass bowl. Her eyes glued to a particular eggplant. She smiles.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Chaeyoung's eyes open, his eyelashes faintly batting against his lids when he blinks. He groggily lifts his head from the pillow, his curly hair tumbling down. The suns vibrant rays send a glossy, gold sheen all around the room blurring his vision.

 

"Rene-ah" He smiles as the drowsiness left and his sight cleared.

 

Irene hums and lightly push him back to the soft mattress. She sits on the bed and brushes a strand of dark brown hair away from his face, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead. "How're your feelings?"

 

"Great" He convinces.

 

"Kyun Sang came and did a checked up on you while you were asleep. Thankfully, there's nothing serious." Irene expresses, positioning herself beside him and lay down. Her head rests against his chest while her fingers curls into the fabric of his shirt, not clasping it tightly, but just enough to reassure him she is there. "Mother is also stable now." She sighs in relief.

 

Chaeyoung wanted to scoop her up, to give her a hug of his own, but he knows that would never do. He couldn't even move by himself. "That's nice to hear. You should spend more time with her. I'll be alright on my own. Don't worry." He assures. His attention diverts as thoughts of the visions last night in his sleep come and go in waves, clinging on to the very last memory of the night but with little success. Chaeyoung smiles and rubs Irene's hand that lay on his chest."Anyways, thank you for taking care of me last night"

 

Irene raises her chin and stares at him. Her phone runs out of battery last night and she couldn't contact either Chaeyoung's or the home telephone. Because of the snow, the street is closed and she just arrives this early morning same as Kyun Sang. She's about to ask when a knock interrupts her. Irene sits up and waits for the maids. She knows they are bringing breakfast for Chaeyoung.

 

Irene sets up the tray table on the bed and places the dish. Chaeyoung tilts his head when he sees his salad plate and the decoration on top of it. "Carved penguin eggplant?" His smiles fade as he remembers the resemblance, but hastily shakes it off "The maids develop new hobby it seems" He forces a chuckle, showing it to Irene.

 

Irene stares at it and smiles "That's cute" She mumbles, thinking where she has seen it before. 'It was Chaeyoung's. He made it as decoration on Mina's meals, back then when she was pregnant. Does that mean..'

 

"Rene-ah?"

 

Irene lifts her eyes and stares at Chaeyoung, questioning while the Cub smiles and directed his gaze to the food. Irene understands the signal and laughs apologetically before she continues spoon-feeding him. Indeed, because of his condition, he had to be fed forkful by forkful which is rather embarrassing and awkward for both of them but it has been years, and they have passed that phase. "What are you thinking so hard?" Chaeyoung asks, munching a berry.

 

"Nothing" Irene assures, shaking her head. She feed him another berry then wipes the corner of his lips. The action continue before Irene reminded of something. "Ah, I heard Momo Unnie and Dahyun Oppa spend their honeymoon in Italy. That must be great." She awed.

 

"Yeah, at first they planned to go to Bali but the date overlaps with Hyung's piano concert in Venice. He wanted to cancel his performance but Momo Noona said she's fine with it." Chaeyoung explains and gives a deadpan looks as Irene starts to devour his food.

 

"How long will they stay there?"

 

"Around a week, they'll return to Seoul by then. We also have to resettle there, I've received a call regarding the gallery. We have to reschedule the opening date, they did great in managing. Now, we only have to move the art" Chaeyoung stares at her empty bowl of berry and sigh.

 

Irene nods then brings in another bowl of berry "Then, hold your first exhibition." She excitedly says and feed the happy Chaeyoung.

 

The happiness brought by the berry doesn't stay for a long time as the guy pursed his lips in pure regret "Your mom will be very sad if we have to move. She really likes the nursery home here. It still bothers me that she wants to be there instead of with us, so when we are in Seoul, can you convince her to live with us? Isn't it filial piety to take care of elderly parents? I'm worried about her"

 

Irene smiles, thankful of the concern he is showing "I know, I also don't like the idea of her living there. But, it's what she wanted. Seeing her casually talking and spending her time with the other elders, she looks truly happy. Besides, it is safer since she's being watched medically. It's okay, I'll visit her time to time" she assures.

 

Continuing their conversation without no sense of doubt, both unaware of the freedom they no longer possessed. Chaeyoung's artwork hangs on the far left of the wall whereas behind the painting, hidden a secret camera with sounds recording. Through the tiny rounded equipment, sits a man in his hotel observing every single move, every single voice.

 

"Art gallery. A week. Venice" Jeongyeon murmurs while tapping his index fingers against the wooden table. His eyes glued to the laptop screen in front of him. A smile crept across his face as he watches the couple on the monitor. 'It will be easier if everyone gathers in one place. Since you'll bring forward the opening of your gallery, then I also should hurry is it?' He pulls out his earpiece and grabs his cup of coffee. He slips his hands insi

Please log in to read the full chapter