Learn to Love

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

"How do you do that?" I asked, staring at her who was skiming a stone. The stone bounced few times acroos the lake before it disappearing. I stood beside her and grabbed a handful of pebbles, enthusiastic to try it. I mimicked her body position and angle then threw it just like she did at the lake's even surface. However, it immediately sank into the water sending ripples radiating out from the spot. Underterred, I grabbed another stone and threw it, with the exact same result.

 

"The perfect pebble. Angle. Velocity. Spin. Throw" She said, chuckling at my defeated sigh. She walked behind me, picked the flattest pebbles and put it inside my palm. My body paused due to her closeness and her breath fanning my neck. I could feel my heart beat, every single pound in my chest. "Look upfront" She lightly push my chin, facing the lake. She guided me through the perfect pabbles to choose, the right angle, the velocity and power I'm comfortable with, how to flick the wrist to create a spin and lastly throw it.

 

"Ok, so flat and underarms, twenty degree angle, power, flick and go" I tried again. The pebble still sank, but this time it felt more like the motion I had seen her demonstrate. I repeated the movement, and this time the stone jumped once off the surface of the lake before sinking.

 

"You did it!" She cheered, back hugging me.

 

I shrieked "Did you see that? It bounced. I'm a champion"
 

She laughed, her bubbly voice rings musically in my ears, "Yes, you are a champion"

 

Green pine and leaf mould from the forest, whilst the lake itself, the reassuring scents of pondweed and fern. Shimmers moves across the deep green surface as if light itself could be blown by the wind. Dahyun dip his feet in at the shore and feel the coldness seeps in. The opaque waters are icy even in the shallows. He thought the place won't be the same because it has been years, but it seems like nothing change. The lake is beautiful as he remembers it was.

 

He bent down and trails his gaze towards the stones, finding the flattest pebbles. He then take a deep breath of the refreshing air,"The perfect pebble. Angle. Velocity. Spin. Throw" He mutters, feeling the smooth stone in his palm before he throw it. He watches the stone dances across the water and look out for the rippled circles it leaves behind. "Just like how you taught me" He smiles weakly.

 

"I don't think you call me to watch you talking to yourself like a maniac" A voice interrupt.

 

Dahyun turns around and chuckles seeing his little brother hugging himself with his arms while annoyingly stares at him. Despite the cold weather, especially around that area, he still comes. "No, I'm not. I want to talk to you, Tzu"

 

Tzuyu walks few step forwards and stand beside him. Shifting his weight from one foot to the others, he stares at Dahyun impatiently, "What is it about and why do you want to meet here. Do you want us to froze?" Dahyun let the silence lingers a little while longer. The soft breeze whispers causing their hair to ruffles along. Tzuyu sense the unusual tension and aura that surround the older. Knowing Dahyun always a bright person, this situation doesn't suit his personality. Tzuyu loosens her crossed arms and wait. Whatever it is Dahyun has to say, he assumes it must be something important. 

 

"I meet someone. A woman who looks just like her."

 

Tzuyu's ear perked. He frowns and glances to his brother who still has his gaze on the lake. "What do you mean?" He asks, to him it makes zero sense. That even makes less sense than it did after Dahyun elaborate.

 

The older shut his eyes momentarily, reminiscing. "Too similar. Her habit, her face, her likes and dislikes, her interest, her instruments, her words. Everything about her resembles Jisu. So much that I---I'm confused and scared" His voice is getting thick, sad and heavy. Dahyun's eyes shoot to the younger, making sure to look at him, so he can hear his next words.
"What should I do Tzu? What should I do?" His voice gives out, pleading. Tzuyu catch a glimpse of big fat tears before Dahyun avert his gaze and stares at his hands, running them over each other. His breathing hitches and he shakes a little.

 

"Hyung, you have to know she just someone who looks alike and not her. Besides, it doesn't really matter. You are a married man and you love Momo noona." Tzuyu says rather lightly, not because he ignores and doesn't care about his brother's problem. It is because he is confident that the older love his wife and this issues won't harm any of them.  However, he's proven wrong when Dahyun falls silence. "Wait, hyung. Don't tell me you..." He trails off, balling his fist and stares intently at the red-haired guy. Dahyun raise his head and look at him with an apologetic expression. It instantly gives him a definite answer.

 

Out of rage, his clenched fist collides with Dahyun's cheekbone, flaying his neck backward like a willow caught in the wind. As he stumbles, he nearly fall into the lake before Tzuyu pulls him by the collar and lands another punch. Dahyun staggers backwards as he receives the attack. He isn't defending himself nor avoiding it, but allowing himself to feel the blunt-force as it hits his jaw then a sharp pain as it hits the bridge of his nose. "Why do you propose to her if you don't love her! Why do you even marry her?!" Tzuyu raises his voice as he pushes him roughly. He falls backward to the ground in loud thud; blood cuts on his lips and swollen face.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter