String

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

The cafe is close to empty, with one old lady sitting at a table near the counter and a suited man quietly sipping his coffee at the corner. She sits nervously inside a booth in its own alcove at the back of the cafe. The thick silence made her blood as cold as the winter air that creeps through an open window. Mina knows tensing against the shaking of her limbs is useless but she does it instinctively. She's slightly relief that he doesn't disclose her secret and acts normal. He only texts her to meet him and sends an address. A moment later, he appears and sits across her. Mina lowers her head, as she feels intimidated by his darkened eyes.

 

"I see, you come instead of running away." He quips, arching his brows. "You know me, noona. I'm not kind and gentle like my brothers. I'm just going to say this for everyone's benefit. Don't come near Chaeyoung Hyung or by any means necessary, I'll make sure you'll leave the country again. For Sana's sake, I've forgiven you but that doesn't mean I have forgotten what you did. I'll ignore what happened, you taking advantages of his disorder and lied about your identity. I'll talk to Kyun-Sang myself. You don't have to come tomorrow Noona, someone else will take your place."

 

Tzuyu straightforwardly says what he needs. He's about to stand but the girl quickly stops him by the wrist. He throws a glare, uninterested to whatever excuse or explanation he expected. Mina bites her lower lips and meets his gaze. "Tzuyu please" she pleads.

 

However, the sight only infuriated Tzuyu more. He doesn't understand why she has to appear now and make things complicated than it already is. He sighs and asks, "Why? Why are you doing this? Is it for closure? Guilt or Pity? Whatever it is Chaeyoung doesn't need it. He's happy now. This will only hurt both of you, Noona and if there is someone that has to beg than it should be me. I beg you to stop, stop inflicting pain in him, you've done enough."

 

Mina shakes her head lightly. She knows herself, it's not because of any of those reasons. It's purely out of love and longing. Tzuyu's words struck harder than he probably intended. He drags her to reality and made her realise she has no right to returns to Chaeyoung's embrace and imagining them living happily together is just her stupid fantasies. But, she can't let him go yet, not when they just meet. Mina looks up and blinks, her dark lashes brimmed heavy with tears, "Three months. Just, let me stay beside him for three months. After that, I'll return to Norway" She waits and hopes tzuyu would allow her but the guy hasn't said anything for a few minutes. "Please" Mina adds, begging as she tightens her hold around his wrist.

 

"Fine" The younger sighs then add "But never tell him who you really are and keep the doctor-patient relationship. Since you already lied, keep that identity and don't let him knows. I hope you are not that selfish to ruin his happiness for your own and stoop that low as to crawl back to him.  He already has someone else, someone he loves and someone who loves him. I'm saying this is for your own good too, Noona. You shouldn't let yourself drown in the past but move forward, let him go. Irene Noona will return from LA after three months and during that time, I hope you already left. I don't want any conflict to rise in their relationship, they are going to get married soon"

 

Mina loosens her grip and bows. Perhaps, it's a bad idea to come back here. She thought he'll open his arms and hug her, anticipating her returns. It's a selfish thought after she just disappeared and left, but she really wished he will understand the content of her letter. After all, she poured all of her in that piece of paper. Now, nothing seems left. Mina forces a smile, she decides to treat this little time preciously and be happy with him. Then, without any remorse, guilt and anymore feelings, she'll leave and never returns. That's the best, for her, him and everyone.

 

Tzuyu stands and sits beside the girl, hugging her sideways, "Noona, some people and relationships are simply not meant to be, as much as you try. You are very well aware of the intensity of the emotions you feel for someone but you simply have to choose yourself over that person. You can't let those emotions take over you noona. The only way to free yourself is to walk away, despite all the love that might exist....between you two"

 

"I understand"

 

"Let me take you home, Noona"

 

"No, I'm okay Tzu" Mina declines and nods to convince the guy. In fact, she just wants to be alone now. Tzuyu hugs her for the last time and leaves. Once he is gone from her sight, Mina heaves a deep sigh and keep the masked smile showcased. She blankly stares into nothing without zero thinking. Seconds, minutes, and hours passed, she finally moves and walks out. Outside are the sleeping tower blocks, peaceful parks, street lamps twinkling in the night. She walks through the peaceful streets, mindlessly follows where her feet guiding her.

 

Mina's smiles slowly turn wobbly as she bites her quivering lips. And if one listens intently and watches closely, one could hear small sniffs and see two infinitesimal drops of water from her butterscotch eyes.
She hastily wipes it before it falls to the ground. However, another step leads to another pair of salty beads racing down her cheeks and she tries to erase the trace, but to no avail. The steady stream just won't stop flowing. There is the burning in her lungs surface as she desperately tries to draw in enough air to sustain functionality. She's physically tired—her muscles are giving out and she just can't anymore. She leans against the nearest wall and uses it for support to walks forwards. No matter how weak her legs feel, she keeps walking as her shoulders convulsed with each wretched cry.

 

This feels extremely familiar. Mina remembers the day of the assault. The morning after, where she found out it was him who did it. Her heart was pierced with sharps pins and she walked out, leaning on the wall while crying. Every step costed the pins to push deeper and it hurt more, yet she needed to walk away. Away for him.

 

Unbeknownst to Mina, a man watches her figure and guards her until she finally reaches home. He looks up to the apartment building, specifically towards her balcony and waits until the lamp goes off. He digs out a phone and calls, "Young Master, she got home safely" He informs before walking away.







 

*  *  *  *

Tzuyu stares blankly outside the window wall. He returns to Chaeyoung's place after the short meeting with Mina. He gazes upon the moon as it struggles to shine through the thick clouds that cover its glow. His minds darts back to his conversation with Mina, he feels guilty and thought perhaps he'd gone too far with his words. Like the thick clouds that preventing the moon to shine, he might unknowingly be a hindrance to their shared happiness and possible future. However, he doesn't regret what he had said. Simply, he loses trust in Mina. He can't entrust Chaeyoung, his selfless brother to her.

 

"Something bothering you?"

 

Tzuyu turns around and watches as Chaeyoung wheels to his side, joining him as they stare upwards. Chaeyoung has just lull his little boy to sleep and come back to his room, just to be greeted by the younger's presence. It's silence for a while as Tzuyu glances towards his brother and sigh. "I'm listening Tzuyu-yah." Chaeyoung softly utters, knowing the younger has something to say to him 

 

Tzuyu lowers his head and asks, "Hyung, what if...just if Mina Noona returns, what will you do?"

 

"Nothing"

 

It's firm and sharp. He's taken aback as how the answer from Chaeyoung slips so certainly without any hesitant. It's evident to him about Mina's feelings, from what Sana had told him and from his own eyes. But with his brother, with Chaeyoung, he doesn't know if Chaeyoung already gets over her, if there is still lingering feelings. He knows better how important the latter is to him. She used to be his everything. And when Chaeyoung lost the relationship, especially one central to his everyday life, he also loses that associated meaning. And to lose meaning is to lose a part of himself. All of these things are intimately connected — his relationships, his sense of meaning and purpose, and his perception of who he really are.

 

That's why Chaeyoung isolated himself from his family and everyone after the car accident, after he lost every single thing that meant the world to him. He's looking for another source of meaning, a reason to hold on to life, to figure his needs and who he really is. But Tzuyu doesn't know if all those time succeeds in completely erasing his feelings for Mina.

 

"Do you still have feelings for her?" Tzuyu asks, rather straight-forwardly. He wants a confirmation and the truth.

 

Chaeyoung's lips form a small smile as he expects the question to arise from the younger, "I understand your concern, Tzu. But it won't happen. I'll never leave Irene for another woman, whoever she is. I'm devoted to her and I choose her."

 

Tzuyu decides not to push the topic further. He has his answer. Chaeyoung never says something he doesn't mean. The older is a man with words. He should've believed in his brother. There's nothing he needs to worry about, because he's sure now, Chaeyoung has built his own wall and boundaries that consist of mental, emotional, spiritual and relational limits on who and what kind of influences he accepts into his life. He able to stands up for his rights, feelings, beliefs and needs. He is being assertive which is far from his old self. Brave and certain. Tzuyu should've known, that Chaeyoung survives all the hardships life thrown at him and he's still breathing and alive. That itself already proves a lot.

 

Tzuyu smiles sincerely and nods. "I don't think I've said this but thank you Hyung, for not giving up, for keep fighting despite everything that had happened, for returning back to us, your family. Mom will be so proud of you."

Please log in to read the full chapter