Mirage

Broken Flower: Lily
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dahyun appearance from behind the stage brings forth great applause. With the flamboyancy, he is known for around the world after his first composition---Warmth of Summer, Depth of Winter won Graweyer Award for piano and orchestra.
He flips the coat tail of his black suit behind him and sits on the bench. With a bright smile and encouragement from the audience, he heaves a deep sigh. He had performed in a bigger stage yet, this affected him the most. After all, the music piece played an account. He swore to bury the music piece deep inside him and never listen to it. Yet, he couldn't avoid this solo performance.
 

 

For once and for this only, he will pour all of him, all emotions, all memories. Willingly drowned himself to the sea of nostalgia. With final breathes out, his fingers---adorned with a beautiful wedding ring---flying across the keys. Presenting a lonely and mellow tune of Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi. Every note of that tone is weaved with such beauty as it enchants everyone's attention.
 

 

It isn't a performance, rather story-telling. After all, it was the first piece they shared, the first piece he saw her playing, the piece that caught him mesmerized by her. He turns to the crowds before playing the second verse, eyes automatically searching for the seat on row 21, number 4. 'Her favourite seat'. His breath hitches when his gaze locked into a woman, silently watching him as she sits on the specific coordination. It's oddly fascinating when the crowd suddenly goes blurred whilst her face reflected on his orb. He remembers every single feature; her thin lips, her chubby cheeks, her eye smile.
 

 

Dahyun wonders if it's his hallucination. Of course, it must be. He could only feel thankful that she wanted to appear before him again, even though just as a mirage. The weight on his chest added and the burns on his throat fuelled. The pain in the back of his mind comes forward by the slightest reminder. A small token of sorrow, misery and lost love.
 

 

A single tear slides down from his warm, butterscotch eyes, follows by another one, and another one, until soon, a steady stream of salty tears flows it's way down his pale cheek, releasing the sadness and longing that has been held inside of him for all this time but still he does not make a sound. Refusing to looks away because this can be the last time he could see her. He remembers every detail of their memories, every shared conversation, every action and every word he uttered.
 

 

27 March, November. Their first encounter. The sun brighter than it had been in months; winter was over. He decided to cycle around the park while at the same time on the way to his music tutor's house to present his new project composition. He had the music sheet inside a brown kraft and placed the envelope in the bicycle front basket. His gaze wandering from bush to bush, tree to tree before he shut his eyes, feeling the breeze of gentle touch against his face. When he brought his vision back, he couldn't avoid the coming bicycle that was a meter away, approaching on the opposite side. The owner was a girl. They shared a panic look for a second before they collided to each other. Both wincing in pain. 
 

 

"Oh! I'm sorry. Are you okay?"
 

 

He worriedly asked, offering a hand. As she lifted her face, she was cute and as she slowly stood, she was tall. She gave a small apologetic smile while he was shyly tried to avoid eye contact. Cute and tall, his ideal type. She explained that she was in a hurry then bowed before picking up her own brown kraft on the ground, then went away. Not giving him a chance to say anything further. Shrugging in disappointment, he continued cycling to his tutor's house only to get scolded because of his supposed to be a music sheet was an engineering thesis. A composition that he had worked for months, just disappeared but weirdly he was happy. He ran back to the park where they had collied, and as he'd expected, the girl was there. Waiting.
 

 

"Hey, I supposed this is yours. Our envelope seemed to got swapped when we bumped earlier"
 

 

He said. The girl chuckled as they exchanged the brown kraft. There was an awkward silence as they stood, waiting for any of them to bid goodbye which certainly wasn't going to be him. She smiled sweetly seeing him flustered. After a minute, she bowed and was about to leave when he finally gathered his courage and shouted.
 

 

"What's your name!?"
 

 

He grinned widely as she said her name, then disappeared. If ever they meet again, he was sure, he wouldn't let her go and watch stupidly as she walked away. One day, one moment, he walked on the hallway of his tutor's house. It was his third time seeing her. The graceful instrument rested between her knees, her arm holding the bow just above the four strings spanning the length of the cello. When she finally allowed herself the pleasure of dragging the bow across the C string, a deep resounding hum filled the room; full and satisfying. He leaned on the door frame, carefully listening. Nuvole Bianche. Without hesitation, he approached her. He learned that she was his tutor's daughter but lived with her mother since her parents were divorced. She rarely came and that explained the reason he only saw her now.
 

 

"Do you want to hang out tomorrow, in a friendly way haha"
 

 

As the day passed on, followed by months, an autumn lullaby drifted in from the east bringing a flurry of change. The pace of life quickened, rain thickened and they walk on streets of gold. Spending time with each other, joking around, sharing their thoughts. Whilst he grew more and more attached to her. When he had sent her home to her mother's house, as they stood silently, none of them seemed wanting to end their meeting. Finally, she smiled and bowed before turning around. Summoning every bit of his bravery, he reached out and caught her pinky finger before intertwining their hands.
 

 

"I like you a lot. Would you like to go on a date with me?...in a romantic way"
 

 

He counted, it was exactly fifty-seven second as they exchange meaningful gaze. He had thought she will refuse when suddenly she nodded, causing him to jump in happiness. Unfortunately, due to her mother's strictness, the girl's schedule was watched and controlled. They kept their relationship a secret and rarely met, yet both were happy.
 

 

Every weekend was bliss to him, he would run and skipped happily as he went to his tutor's house. And the girl had stayed there quite frequently, although her mother would sometimes come in between them. They would secretly hide or sneak out, sharing glances and mouthed sweet talks. Everything went well, at least that was what he thought. Until she stopped appearing, stopped answering his call. He was confused for weeks before she suddenly texted and asked to meet. He was joyed and relieved, not until she asked for a break-up.
 

 

"I don't understand. We've been just fine. Why are you suddenly pushing me away? At least give me a reason. Please"
 

 

He begged. But nothing. How pitiful it was? He didn't even deserve an explanation. She didn't even cry, only emptiness filled her eyes. As if she was expecting the scenario, as if she was ready for it. And he could do nothing except stupidly watching her walked away, something he vowed he will never do. He was left bewildered and hurt. Unexpectedly, someone held a hand to him, Momo. He smiled bitterly and reached her hand, helping him to stand again. He knew, accepting Momo's love whilst still broken was wrong. He knew, he was using her to mend himself. He knew it wasn't right. But Momo's sincerity and pureness convinced him. And he promised to slowly but surely learn to love her.
 

 

Yet, every relationship went through a bump. They had their first fight, Momo found his first love's picture hidden inside a box and worse, he had lied by hiding the girl's identity. Pure coincidence brought Momo and his first love to meet which caused huge damage to all of them. It was a misunderstanding, and he admitted partly his fault. He took a break to consider his future action then made a decision. Determined to earn Momo's trust, he proposed to her. He burned the old pictures of his first love and wanted to commit himself to one and only woman. But, a hard truth came uncalled and unseen when he crossed path with his first love again. Bringing him to the dark where she had hidden her secret and unfairly fate. Leaving him consumed by regret and grief.
 

 

"Was this the reason? Why didn't you tell me? Now what am I supposed to do, how am I supposed to live?"
 

 

He whispered. And she smiled sweetly. The kind of grin she always gave him. He wondered how can she afford to smile, how come she not cry, angry and frustrated. Soon, he discovered. When alone she let her face, so deeply etched with the lines of laughter and love, fall with gravity, reserving her strength to smile for him. He leaned against the door when he heard muffled sobs from inside the room. Hiding her pain, hiding her fear. Both were trying to appear strong whilst with each other then broke down when alone.
 

 

They were given only a week. The clock ticked, time was limited. And he never left her side. Not in this precious moment. He gave all that was him. His heart, his mind. Every day was a battle not to lose and he was there, fighting with her. Sometimes, he would pick up a book and read it to her until sh

Please log in to read the full chapter