Chapter 1 : One Friday

[Exclusive] TERRIFIED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1 One Friday

 

Smile, this one stretch in their lips can cure a day’s pressure, the hassle and it can heal someone’s miseries, momentarily for the least. Melodious laugh and sweet giggles, these harmonious sounds that escape from their lips can turn a frown into a rhythm of laughter, light up a lonely soul and a pleasant conversation can be made possible. Doing whatever makes someone gratified to live a happy life every single day is one of the thousands, if not then million, best ways to lighten up a hazardous day, give that fire to a wavering resolve and most importantly, ease that terrified heart that has always doubted to break the cages.

 

Desserts such as cakes and pastries, a cup of good blended coffee in a good environment with good people of services, this is one of the thousand ways that most people found to start off their day, their busy working weekdays, that can put a stretch up their lips to seek comfort and relaxation before battling out to their own fields. Having sweets as a part of their day-to-day routine, it can never go wrong and this one of the ways they have found is enough for them to go through and survive a hectic day. Sugar to tingle their heart with a pinch of coffee’s bitterness to balance, isn’t it lovely to have this every single day?

 

The best time to enjoy a cup of coffee with a cake that melts in the mouth is this season of autumn, in a cold morning of a busy Friday. Under this clear blue sky is a vintage French style café being kissed by the needed sunlight under this cold weather located by the intersection of a town that’s welcoming a day busy as ever, standing amongst the other variety of shops such as apparels, specialty stores and convenience stores as some of it. Passed by and ignored by the rushing workers and students but definitely a worth of short stop for those who takes their time to relish a good sip and a bite.

 

“Welcome to JNK Cakes and Coffee.” A staff in his black shirt uniform with his name plate on his chest greeted customers coming in of the shop with the brightest smile they can exchange from each other.

 

Classy as it looks from the outside and its interior design that can match the millennials’ style with its ‘instagram worthy’ ambiance. The menu covers a wide variety of cakes for occasions and slices for a dine in displayed on the long line of racks, pastries for a quick delicious bite to add and of course, the best quality of coffee cannot be missed out, blended with the most skilled hands available under this business by a separate working station. However, despite of its good services and good tastes in their foods, this café can only render limited amount of customers with its small space that can only accommodate less than a hundred including the few staffs to render the goods and services.

 

“Good morning, Jennie. You’re looking as gorgeous as always in this busy morning. It’s as expected from you.” One of the customers greeted the lovely lady in her apron and black shirt uniform who just came out from a closed door that connects to the kitchen, now standing by the cashier area to take over the work.

 

The lady looks up from wiping her hands covered in flour and beams as soon as she recognizes the customer in her professional stylish get-up with a permed hair, “Alice! Good morning! Well, it’s not really busy for me right now since I’m done making the cakes for today and there are not many customers today. In fact, I was kind of late too because I overslept that’s why I just finished making the last batch.”

 

“You sure are working too hard, huh? Not only that you manage this business, you’re also the main patissier and now you even do the cashiering job. You’re always hands-on with almost everything, aren’t you? Don’t you get tired from doing all these perfect pastries and cakes at dawn then you even help out from morning to closing time?” Alice commented as she giggled at the flushing Jennie out of introversion and stayed standing by the area for there are no customers coming in yet for her to rush on placing her orders.

 

Jennie smiles reserved, “I do get a rest after making the cakes though but once we open, I don’t have much to do anymore unless we run out of cakes to sell then I have to go back on the kitchen and make new ones. However, that only happens during holiday seasons when cakes are highly in demand. The pastries now are usually done by my assistants since I taught them of the recipe already to lessen my workloads. Moreover, we only have few staffs so I have to be around all the time.”

 

“I see. That’s really admirable of you. This is why I love coming here almost every day to buy cakes and coffee, it’s because you always give your best and I always feel so much positive whenever I come here. It’s like your café has an uplifting mood in it. I wish people would come to realize that and come here often.” Alice once again praised with her sweet smile that can only make Jennie even shyer from the other side of the counter.

 

“Unnie, don’t compliment her too much. She’s going to melt.” The barista brewing her own cup of espresso beside the cashier area hooted at Jennie and she received a death glare in return.

 

“Hey, Jisoo-unnie, stop embarrassing me in front of a lawyer or else I’m going to fire you!” Jennie barked but how she cutely scrunched her face only caused chuckles from Alice.   

 

But the barista, Jisoo, teases back at her as she sticks her tongue out, “Oh yeah, let’s see if you can find a better barista than your best friend who has been here with you since you took over this business. I’m the best for you and just admit it. You cannot replace me because you love me that much.”

 

“You two, stop that. I think you’re forgetting there are some customers dining in that can hear you arguing here.” One of the staffs marched back to the counter after placing the orders to one of the tables and came in between the childishly arguing best friends.

 

The on standby customer Alice can only go on giggling as she witnesses their silliness, “The two of you should be thankful that you got Song Minho as your responsible manager or else the both of you would be a disaster handling this business. It’s good that you have this kind of bond but he’s right, tone it down with your bickers when there are people around. It may lead to a negative impression so keep it low.”

 

“Just call me Mino, please. I don’t like hearing my full name that much.” Mino cringed.

 

Feeling embarrassed, Jisoo awkwardly sips on her coffee and uttered looking away, “Well, sorry unnie. We’ll keep that in mind.”

 

Moving on, Jennie puts back the smile on her face as she asks her customer, “So, are you getting the usual chocolate mousse and Jisoo’s best espresso for take-out?”

 

“Yes please but I’ll have to get some macaroons and a slice of mango cheesecake for today too.” Alice ordered and pointed at the additional orders displayed at glass racks.

 

Jennie then wonders for it’s out of her usual orders she often packs for her, “Oh, you’re buying for a colleague of yours in the law firm? It’s unusual for you to order extras.”

 

But Alice corrects her, smiling wide as she tells, “My younger sister from Australia is arriving later on and I often tell her about your cakes, also Jisoo’s coffee sometimes since she loves Americano, so she asked me to buy cakes for her because she wants to have it as soon as she arrives. She loves foods so much, but sweets in particular, so she insisted me on buying one for her because she might be exhausted as soon as she arrives.”

 

“I didn’t know you have a younger sister. She must be just like you.” Jennie remarked while punching in Alice’s orders on the computer.  

 

Jisoo also butts in, “I can imagine her looking like a mini version of you unnie.”

 

“She’s just a year younger than Jennie and she’s a lot taller than us.” Alice stated and Jisoo choked on her coffee. Then she adds which caused instant silence, “And by the way, my sister is blind and she doesn’t really like being talked about ever since she lost her sight more than a year ago, that’s why I don’t speak about her too much.”

 

The silence turned heavy because of the unexpected revelation, even Jennie mistakenly encoded a wrong order that caused her to do it all over again; whereas Jisoo clumsily and pretentiously went back to cleaning her used materials left on the sink for they cannot find anything to retort. Same goes for Mino upon overhearing what was disclosed, the manager who was once named responsible going back on asking the dined-in customers for additional orders if any.

 

“Is that so… it must be difficult for her then to be in such a condition for that long already.” Jennie hardly uttered and proceeded on packing the slice of mango cheesecake on its box and held back herself from asking more.

 

Somehow, Alice expected their reactions and all she can return is a polite response while placing her payment, “She’s been depressed actually and she insisted on coming all the way here because she finds it tough still to be staying in Australia. So, I have to take care of her very well.”

 

“Excuse me but what’s her name?” Jennie asked and kept the box of cake in her hold.

 

Alice proudly tells, “Chaeyoung. Her name is Park Chaeyoung.”

 

Upon getting it, Jennie grabbed a pen and started jotting down on the box’s side. “You’re strong and beautiful, Chaeyoung. From: Jennie Kim…” She then spoke of what she wrote eligibly and added one more slice of mango cheesecake inside the box which garnered a confused look from Alice who is yet to get an answer from whatever Jennie is doing with her orders.

 

“What are you doing? I only ordered one cheesecake.” Alice questioned as Jennie finished her orders.

 

Jennie hands over the box and her other orders, saying, “Free one slice as a welcome present for your sister. I don’t exactly know how it feels like to be blind since I don’t have friends or any family who experience the same but I do know how it feels like to be depressed. So, please tell her that she’s strong and she may not see what I wrote so please speak it for her. I don’t know her personally but maybe my words would cheer her up a bit. I hope my cakes will make her smile too.”

 

“You’re really sweet, Jennie. I’m sure my sister will be happy with this. Thank you very much.” Alice bowed down, almost in the midst of tears but held it back for the sake of a peaceful morning.

 

Jisoo also suggests from her station, “You should bring her some time here unnie so she can try my specialties too and I don’t mind giving her a free Americano. My coffees are best when dined here so you should take her when you have time.”

 

Alice nodded eager, “I definitely will. So, I have to go to the airport now. It’s still hours of long drive there and she’s arriving in a few.”

 

They all paved goodbye to Alice as she dashed out of the place and surely she gathered enough attention not only from the staffs but also from the customers because of her long minutes of chitchats at the counter and also because of how young and beautiful she is wearing that badge of a lawyer in her collar. It’s already a customary thing for Jennie, Jisoo and also Mino for Alice to be looked at in awe by some of the people around the place but not for those who are new in the business.

 

“Who was that beautiful lady chatting with the owner earlier at the counter?” One of staffs asked his manager Mino for he is one of those new people around.

 

“You mean, Alice?” Mino asked and the staff nodded while they both wipe the tables used. And so he replies precise, “She’s a lawyer and she works for the one of the most popular international law firms. She’s from Australia but she was transferred here for work just last year. She’s gaining a lot of interest and attention from the experts because at such a young age, she passed her licensure exam in one go and even doing a great job. She’s a regular customer here and she loves Jennie’s cakes and Jisoo’s coffee so expect to see her more often.”

 

“Mino-oppa…” Jennie later interjected with their conversation as she approached the manager. “I’m sorry but can I exit early today? The doctor called me earlier and he told me that Mom just finished her chemotherapy. I want to visit her and ask the doctor too about the results.” She then disclosed in urgency.

 

To which Mino responds in a warm smile and a pat on her head, “Jennie, you know you don’t really have to ask permission from me. You’re the owner and I’m just a manager. You can go whenever you want to and you know that, right? Moreover, I’m like your brother already and whatever you tell me, I’ll say yes and I’ll support it. So, just go because your mother needs you. Family first more than anything, am I right Jisoo?”

 

“Sure it is. We’ll take care of things here and there’s nothing much for you to do as well. You’re done preparing all the cakes we can possibly sell out today and you have your assistants there who know how to make your basic pastries in case we run out. Also, it’s Friday anyway. You know how this day is often slow with customers until we close since they would prefer to go on clubs and bars before the weekends.” Jisoo assured with her thumbs up.

 

“Thank you, guys. I’ll just go upstairs then to fix myself. I don’t want my mom to see me a mess.” Jennie bowed down before jogging up to the second floor with huge smile on her lips.

 

The second floor is only occupied by a small and casual office, more of a personal space for the employees where they prepare themselves before facing the customers and before officially opening every day. There’s a narrow pantry area, enough for them to enjoy their quick breaks, cabinets to hide their personal belongings on the corners, a separated bathroom for male and female, and racks where trophies and awards are displayed with the name of Jennie’s mother engraved on it.   

 

Jennie reached one of these trophies which she can be so proud of. Though it’s not her name that’s on it but her mom’s, still she’s looking at it as proud as she caresses it, hissing to herself, “We’ve come a long way, mom.”

 

Meanwhile, after the long hours of drive, the stylish lawyer Alice finally reached the crowded airport after the traffic jam she had to fight and go through. Like a typical day at the airport, flights can be seen arriving, some departing and just in time that she stood there by the passengers’ exit area holding a placard with her sister’s name on it, the flight she’s been anticipating arrived. She’s lined with these people also waiting for the passengers to come out by the barricade.

 

Soon, the passengers started coming out from the glass door and their families and friends immediately rush to them for that warm embrace. Alice, however, is much more nervous than anyone else around her for her younger sister Chaeyoung hasn’t come out yet, adding the well-known fact that knowing she is blind and travelled on her own. Sweat beads forming all over, palms that are shaking and mind that’s restless, this is how Alice waits for her sister’s arrival.

 

“Oh! Chaeyoung! I’m here! I’m here!” Alice gasped and excitedly waved her banner as she farsighted her blonde sister walking so cautious with her crane and an attendant guiding her as she’s being held by the shoulders.

 

If Alice could only break the barricade and be the one to hold her sister and guide her, she already did but she has to wait in patience as the attendant carefully walks her sister towards her. Chaeyoung is in her lovely white dress and a black coat to protect herself from the cold and her favorite white sneakers that brought laughter into Alice’s mouth as she recalls her using it all the time. Her well-protected acoustic guitar that’s covered and hanging on her back cannot be left unnoticed too as even though Alice also knew she has it with her, the sight of her having it is so pleasing to her eyes.

 

“Welcome, Chaeyoung.” Alice warmly greeted her sister with a warm tight embrace as the attendant successfully guided her with baby steps.

 

Chaeyoung, being taller than her older sister, she engulfed her entirely with her body and buries her face onto her shoulder as she cries, “Unnie, I’m here.”

 

The attendant then speaks, handing Chaeyoung’s hand bags to Alice instead, “Miss Park Chaeyoung did a great job. She’s very brave travelling on her own and she’s amazing during the flight. There was a baby crying and she sang for her until the baby stopped crying. Miss Chaeyoung is truly wonderful.”

 

“You did that Chaeng? I thought you stopped singing already.” Alice gasped and Chaeyoung nodded timid.

 

“I felt sorry for the baby beside me and I just tried singing for her and thank God she liked my voice. The mother said that her baby fell asleep while I was singing. It’s been so long since I sang so I was worried my voice might not be good anymore but it seems like it’s still fine, I guess. I’ve been planning to practice singing again too so yeah…” Chaeyoung elaborated while Alice kept patting her head, proud and pleased for her.

 

The attendant also adds, “In fact, the passengers also liked her voice.”

 

Alice bows down at the attendant as she properly extends her gratitude, “Thank you so much for taking care of my sister during the entire flight. I know she’s a brave woman but I couldn’t take off my mind to be worried for her too especially that it’s her first time to be away from home as well. So, thank you.”

 

Chaeyoung may be seeing pure darkness and there’s nothing but black in her sight, but she isn’t naïve not to feel the sincerity in her sister’s voice and she isn’t that immature not to sense her sister’s genuine care for her. Her world before her eyes can be blank but she’s receiving her well-deserved love and care, the needed attention she needs which can be both a boost for her confidence to be positive but can also be a depressing thought for being a weight and a burden to people who should be doing more important things than looking after her.

 

As soon as the attendant left them, Alice offered her shoulders for Chaeyoung to hold on and said, “Let’s go. I cleaned my condo so well that you’ll love the smell of it.”

 

But Chaeyoung didn’t move as she spaced out, rather she questions in a frown, “Won’t I be a burden for you unnie? I mean, you have work. You’re a lawyer and not to mention you’re always booked. You already have a lot of responsibilities in your hands yet I came here just because I want to escape from home in Australia, hoping to distract my mind from everything that has happened there. Aren’t I just a weight being here with you? Is it really alright to come here?”

 

Alice cups her face and reassures her in a soothing tone of voice, “Chaeng, we already talked about this over the phone. You’re not a burden and you will not be a burden to me. You’re my sister and you’re my top priority. You know we’ll do anything that can help you, right? And it’s because we love you so much. Besides, I already made arrangements with my works. For the whole week, I filed my day-offs. I’ve talked to my boss and he agreed that I can work from home in the afternoon until night so I can be with you. Well, in the morning we’ll still have to think about that since I’ll be in the office but for now, don’t overthink and we can find ways soon, okay? We’re together and you know what happens whenever we’re together…”

 

“…we’re the best when we’re together.” Chaeyoung continued for she feels a lot better now, swatting her negativities that momentarily consumed her.

 

The sisters went on their way, cautious and small in their steps as Chaeyoung is adjusting to her unfamiliar surroundings and environment. With just the smell of the autumn coming from the dried leaves that fell on the ground, with just the mild cold brush of the air caressing her skin, Chaeyoung can certainly tell she’s already in a different place despite of not seeing anything at all. She feels so new that she feels reborn, feeling a lot more refreshed compared to when she’s back home that she can remember herself always locked in her room and isolated from almost everything and everyone.

 

“This is the second-hand red car that I decided to buy when dad and mom first told me you’re coming here. I have to buy it so it can be easier for us both and it’s a lot safer than letting you take the taxi.” Alice explained while carefully guiding Chaeyoung inside the red car, by the co-pilot seat in the front.

 

Once inside, and as Alice fixed her luggage at the back before going on the driver’s seat starting off the engine, Chaeyoung sniffed another aroma coming from an alluring scent of mango mixed with some chocolates and cream that’s way different from what she expected that a car would smell. It’s too strong that it keeps bothering her mind, too captivating that she cannot shake it off while letting Alice drive smoothly on the free road.

 

“Unnie, I’ve been noticing that smell for a while now. Is that your car’s perfume or I really do smell something sweet?” Chaeyoung asked as she contemplated.

 

Alice also inhaled sharp and soon she realized, laughing, “Oh yeah! Remember that café I always tell you that I visit? You know, the last time we talked, you told me to buy you cakes from there and so I bought some. I got my usual and I got you some mango cheesecake and macaroons too. You’ll love it, I promise.”

 

“Really? No wonder it smells so good!” Chaeyoung squealed. “Can I have some right now? Where is it?” She then demanded straightaway.

 

“Geez, you really love food, don’t you?” Alice sighed but still reached out for the boxes that are just resting in front of Chaeyoung while she goes on driving slower than before.

 

Chaeyoung helps herself as she searches the disposable spoon inside the bag, using her sense of touch to locate everything she needs. Slowly but surely, she managed to open the box and the aroma of the fresh mango fruit on top of it escaped stronger with the syrup she felt sticking on the box’s edges. It smells too good that Chaeyoung cannot let it last longer anymore, digging in just at the right spot that she scooped and let the cheesecake melt in .

 

“How is it? Is it good?” Alice asked for Chaeyoung isn’t saying a thing, instead she goes on savoring the cheesecake.

 

“Unnie! This is my style!” Chaeyoung groaned out of her delight as she keeps on chewing and gulping big, finishing the first slice and going immediately to the next one.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter