FRIENDS! Or...?

No One Can Find Out (About Us)

How did it start, anyway? Momo can’t remember. One minute the group’s holding her birthday party at Jihyo’s house and the next—well, she and Mina are at the bathroom, with Mina giving her the best birthday present of the night. They both agreed that it was a one-time thing but when Mina came to Momo’s dorm room days later, they couldn’t help themselves. It was too good, the onset of an addiction.

 

“Are you sure about this?” Mina asks Momo as they lie on the latter’s bed.

 

“Yeah, of course,” Momo replies, still catching her breath. “This is fun, isn’t it?”

 

Mina nods, letting out a small giggle. “It is. But Momo, no one can know about this, okay?”

 

Of course, about two weeks later Jihyo found out about their little arrangement. When they did it on Mina’s bed one time, Momo left one of her earrings under the pillow. Mina couldn’t have said it was hers because it was those Boo earrings Momo kept showing off to everyone the day she bought them. So when Jihyo confronted them about it, they couldn’t really deny it. And they made her swear that she wouldn’t tell a single soul. So even if she didn’t agree on their situation, Jihyo didn’t bother them afterwards, and Momo and Mina continued their “fun”.

 

Until the day that Jihyo told everyone she was dating Kang Daniel.

 

For Mina, it had already been some time now. As she and Momo started to sleep around more, the more she realized that she was having actual feelings for her. But she knew that if she showed Momo those feelings, the older girl would run away and their friendship would be broken forever. Even without all the (amazing) Momo is one of Mina’s closest and most precious friends; she wouldn’t want to risk that, even if it means getting hurt in the long run.

 

And she was fine with it, really—Momo hasn’t dated anyone since they started this thing they have. And Mina would hope that it’s because Momo has some feelings for her, but no: Momo quickly assured Mina that she wasn’t ready to have a relationship. So Mina convinced herself that she was the same, not wanting commitment and just casual fun. But it hit her hard seeing one of her best friends in an actual, mature, and real relationship.

 

Seeing the way Daniel looks at Jihyo, and how Jihyo smiles when Daniel told them about his competitions, made Mina realize that she wants them, too. Bad. And if Momo couldn’t give that to her… then this would be the end for them.

 

“Hey, roomie. You okay?”

 

Mina doesn’t realize she’d been spacing out as they get out of the diner. It’s Jihyo’s voice and Momo’s soft squeeze on her hand that brings her back. “Yeah, sorry.”

 

“Look, I just want to say thank you to you and Momo. You know, for keeping it a secret, me and Daniel.”

 

“Hey, it’s only fair,” Momo quips with a nervous chuckle.

 

“Well, Daniel and I are going somewhere for a while so you guys can have the room to yourselves until nighttime.” Jihyo winks. “Consider it as a thank-you gift.”

 

And that’s how Mina and Momo both end up in the former’s room, on the bed. But just sitting… and no talking.

 

Maybe Momo knows what Mina’s thinking. She was always good at that. Which benefited their relationship because Mina isn’t always good with words.

 

And if Momo knows what Mina’s thinking now, then…

 

“Mitang… I think we need to talk.”

 

Mina gulps. She doesn’t know what to say now. Is Momo mad at her? Does Momo know that Mina had been secretly in love with her? If she does, then does that mean that she and Momo won’t be friends anymore?

 

“Mina,” Momo says in the most loving voice, holding the younger girl’s hands. “You’re one of my closest friends and I want to be honest with you. And the truth is… seeing Jihyo and Daniel today, it’s just… made me realize that I… I’m in love with you.”

 

Wait, what?

 

“Wait, what?”

 

“Look, Mina, I’m sorry, I know this was supposed to be a casual thing but I—I can’t help it!” Momo puts her hands on her face, about to cry. “You’re just too easy to fall in love with. You’re sweet and caring and lovable… You know what I like, and not just in bed—in food, too.”

 

Mina chuckles, suddenly gaining confidence. “Well, aren’t I your food in bed, too?”

 

“Well, yes—I mean, no! I mean, yes, I want to!” Momo sighs. “But only if you like me back. Even though you probably don’t. I just… I just want to be honest with you.”

 

“Momo.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Mina pulls the other girl in for a long, sweet kiss before saying, “I like you, too.”

 

 

Aside from Momo and Mina, Jihyo is absolutely thrilled with the news. “I really wanted you to end up together,” she admitted when the new couple confessed. It was a short celebration at Mina and Jihyo’s room, but the two girls once again had to beg Jihyo to keep this new relationship a secret. “We’re still figuring things out on our own,” Momo said. “And we just feel like that would be hard if the group was breathing down our backs or something.” And, well, Jihyo couldn’t disagree with that.

 

What comes next is a series of secret dates, stolen kisses, and knowing looks when everybody else is around. To some degree it was just like their arrangement before but more frequent—and their friends are starting to feel the consequences.

 

One time it was at the cafeteria with Jeongyeon, Sana, Momo, and Mina. And it all started with Jeongyeon asking a simple question: “So, what’d you guys do last night?”

 

“Play Legend of Zelda,” both Mina and Momo say at the same time. Mina shoots Momo an outraged look.

 

“What?” Sana snorts. “Momo, you don’t even have a Switch.”

 

“Well, I don’t, but…”

 

“So you were playing with Mina?” Jeongyeon asks. “Last night you said you were coming home late because you had a date.”

 

It was true; Mina planned a date for her and Momo—one where they stayed in bed all day and played games on Mina’s Switch. Then watched some series on Netflix while eating food. Then they ate each other.

 

“Well—I—” Momo stutters trying to formulate an excuse in her head, “I wasn’t really playing. I was watching this, um, streamer I’m following. Yeah. She’s a really good player, too!”

 

Sana narrows her eyes. “You’re not a gamer.”

 

“I recommended it to her,” Mina steps in to the rescue. “See, I was playing it last night and thought that Momo should watch it, too.”

 

“Um, yeah. T-That Zelda girl’s pretty hot.” Momo tries to hide her nervousness with a chuckle.

 

“So you were watching a video that Mina recommended to you while you were on a date?” Jeongyeon asks, still suspicious.

 

“Yeah. I-I mean no, I watched it on the way back to our room.”

 

Jeongyeon scoffs. “Oh, Momo. You are so not ready for a relationship,” she says with a cackle.

 

Mina laughs along with Jeongyeon. “She’s right, Momo. You can’t be in a relationship yet.”

 

She apologizes to Momo in bed later.

 

 

Midterms season approaches, and the libraries start filling up. For the week leading up to the midterm exams, all Mina had to do was study her brains out until she and Momo could see each other again.

 

“Stupid rule that I made,” she mutters to Jihyo at the library.

 

Jihyo looks at her amusedly. “You two are so clingy, it’s cute.”

 

“I just made that rule because I wanted to do well on my exams,” Mina mumbles.

 

“Mina, what are you talking about? You always do well on your exams.”

 

“Well, I just… I wanted to be on Momo’s level,” she confesses. “Momo may seem like a klutz most of the time but when it’s on the subjects she really likes, it’s like she doesn’t even need to study for exams. She’s so natural at it, I… I’m just afraid I won’t get to her level.”

 

At that, Jihyo chuckles at her roommate. “You really are whipped, aren’t you? Look, Mina, Momo adores you. Believe me when I say that she thinks you’re smarter than her—I mean, we all do. Not that Momo is stupid, though, what you said was also correct… I’m just trying to say that you two are equals and you should start seeing yourselves as that in a relationship if you want to grow together.”

 

Mina lets out a sigh. “You’re right. I think I just miss her, too, you know?” She gives Jihyo a smile. “Look at you. You’re giving out couple advice now. How are things with you and Daniel?”

 

Jihyo scoffs. “As if I’m telling you about my dating life.”

 

“Wha—Well that’s not fair!”

 

“What’s not fair?” Chaeyoung’s voice startles the roommates, who see Dahyun and Tzuyu following closely behind.

 

“Hey, it’s the maknaes!” Jihyo greets them.

 

“So, midterms season, huh?” says Dahyun as she pulls up a chair. “Do you guys mind if we sit here?”

 

“Of course not. Go ahead.”

 

The next hour is spent in silence save for Chaeyoung asking Tzuyu about their Sociology 101 class from time to time.

 

“Mina,” Dahyun calls her attention.

 

“You’re a Biology major, right?”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“Can you explain to me what the difference between mitosis and meiosis is?”

 

And so Mina does, to the best of her ability, explain it in layman’s terms, using gestures here and there for a better description. And then…

 

“Oh my gosh, she totally does sound like Momo these days!” Tzuyu exclaims.

 

Mina feels her cheeks heat up. “W-What?”

 

“See, I told you,” Chaeyoung tells Tzuyu smugly.

 

“Guys, what are you talking about?”

 

Chaeyoung stifles a chuckle. “Didn’t you hear yourself? You were saying ‘monji alji’ and you kept doing that circle thing with your hands. That’s like a classic Momo.”

 

“I was?”

 

“Seems like you’ve been hanging out with Momo more than usual these days huh,” says Dahyun.

 

“What? Pfft no I’m not!” Mina scoffs. “I’ve been hanging out with her the regular amount! You’re hanging out with her more than usual!”

 

“Geez, relax, Mina,” Chaeyoung mutters. “We just thought it was funny.” She turns to Tzuyu. “And I thought Nayeon was the weird one in our group.”

 

 

“Are you sure Sana’s not gonna be here for another hour?” Mina asks Momo as they lie on the latter’s bed, , with Momo spooning Mina. They were meeting up with Sana for the day to catch up but since Jeongyeon is on field duty for a couple of days, the two love birds decide to make the most out of the gifted private time.

 

“Yeah, she texted me earlier, said she just woke up,” Momo assures her, pressing a kiss to her cheek. “And if you ask me, I bet she’ll be here in two hours because of how long she takes to prepare.”

 

Mina chuckles for a moment but clicks her tongue as she turns to face Momo. “Hey, she’s your best friend.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. I just wanna have more y time with you, babe.”

 

“Babe?” Mina scoffs, making Momo laugh.

 

“Yeah, it’s too weird. I still prefer Mitang, anyway.”

 

Mina lets out a soft giggle that makes Momo’s heart leap. “Me too.”

 

“So, Mitang…” Momo does her best to say her girlfriend’s name seductively, “wanna make out?”

 

“Oh, Momoring. I thought you’d never ask.”

 

At the other side of the door stands someone who has heard the whole exchange. “Oh my god!” Sana exclaims through herself, as quietly as she can. So they have been sneaking out under my nose! She thinks back to all those times they made excuses not to go with the group. Rage settling in her mind now, Sana’s about to storm in with the spare key Momo gave her—

 

“Ow! Ow!” Sana yelps when someone yanks her out of the hallway. A few seconds later Momo comes out to see who was outside. “No one’s there,” Momo tells Mina as she closes the door again. “It was probably just some freshmen fighting or something. You know how kids are these days.”

 

“Jihyo!” Sana gasps when she sees her attacker. “You know about this? About Momo and Mina?”

 

“Yes, and you’re not supposed to know!”

 

“Well, how come you know?”

 

Jihyo shrugs. “I’m Mina’s roommate. Plus, they weren’t really good at hiding things especially when they were just buddies.”

 

“They were buddies?!”

 

“Sshh!!!” Jihyo frantically tries to cover Sana’s mouth with her hands.

 

“If you’re Mina’s roommate and you know, then… does Jeongyeon know?”

 

Jihyo shakes her head. “No, I don’t think so. Hey look, you’re not supposed to know about this, alright? I don’t know why but they’re really weird about that.”

 

Sana raises an eyebrow. “Really? They’re weird about that? Says the girl who kept her own dating life hidden from us for who knows how long—”

 

“Okay, fine, I get it! But Daniel and I were only dating for a month when everyone found out. Those two, however, have been at it for 5 or 6 months—”

 

“5 or 6 months?!?!?!”

 

 

It goes on for a few more weeks, but then one day…

 

“Hey Mina,” Nayeon starts, “you know who I bumped into the other day?”

 

“Who?”

 

“Bambam.”

 

“Who’s he?”

 

“Actually, I think Momo might know him.” Nayeon turns to Momo. “He’s in the same major as you. Bambam told me he sees you with Mina sometimes at your building.”

 

“Huh,” Sana mutters. “That’s weird. Now why would Mina, a Biology major, be seen at Momo’s building, the Engineering department?”

 

“That is weird,” says Chaeyoung. Jihyo shoots Sana a dirty look, but thankfully Mina and Momo are too busy worrying about Sana’s question to notice that exchange.

 

“Well, anyway, he’s wondering if he could get your number,” Nayeon continues, facing Mina. “He wants to go out with you sometime.”

 

Before Mina could even answer, Momo lets out a snort—a loud one at that. Everyone’s attention becomes focused on her.

 

“Now, see, Nayeon, how would you even know this Bambam guy? You’re a Film major and you know some guy from Engineering?” Momo laughs nervously.

 

“Honey, most guys here are from Engineering,” Nayeon deadpans. “It’s not my fault we still live in a patriarchal society. And besides, I know him from my and Jeongyeon’s childhood friend, Jackson. Anyway, Mina. He seems to really like you.”

 

“Well… I…”

 

“Oh, come on. You’re single, anyway, so what’s the harm in going out on a date with the guy?”

 

Mina tries to glance at Momo who’s just looking down now. She’s not even playing with her food! Mina thinks to herself. This is bad!

 

“So?” Nayeon nudges her again. “What do you say, Mina?”

 

“I-I’ll think about it.”

 

 

“You think this is really gonna work?” Jeongyeon asks Nayeon.

 

“Yes, of course!” Nayeon replies proudly. “That Bambam guy is gay, you know. Jackson told me.”

 

Jeongyeon narrows her eyes. “So Jackson—and Bambam—??”

 

Nayeon nods excitedly. “Yes!”

 

“Wow! I’m so happy for Jackson!”

 

“Wait, wait.” Tzuyu’s voice makes the murmurs—especially of the eldest ones—stop. “Can we recap here? What’s the plan again?”

 

“Okay.” Nayeon takes a deep breath. “I’m gonna tell Mina in front of Momo that a guy named Bambam wants to go out with her. That’ll freak out the both of them so badly that they’d have to confess their dirty deeds to us!”

 

Tzuyu nods while putting a hand on her chin. “Uh-huh. And, uh, why exactly do we want them to ‘confess their dirty deeds to us’?”

 

“And how come some guy is involved here?” Chaeyoung adds. “Why not someone from within our group to freak them out even more?” She hears Tzuyu snicker beside her but ignores it for now. “Oh, and why aren’t Sana and Jihyo included in this meeting?”

 

Nayeon groans. “Do I really have to repeat this again?”

 

That’s when Jeongyeon steps in. “I’ll do it.” She faces the younger girls. “Nayeon and I think that Jihyo already knows because, duh, she knows everything about every single one of us. So she can’t know about this plan or else she’ll ruin it.”

 

“Because she knows that this is insane,” Dahyun remarks after keeping quiet since the meeting started.

 

Jeongyeon turns to Dahyun. “And Sana isn’t here because you two are being weird with this fight you have.”

 

Dahyun gasps. “It was a—”

 

Jeongyeon holds up her hand to Dahyun. “We’ll discuss about that some other time.”

 

“Fine,” Dahyun sighs.

 

“Besides, we think Sana knows, too, anyway. She’s Momo’s best friend.”

 

“Oh yeah, Jeongyeon’s totally not jealous that Mina’s roommate found out but she, Momo’s roommate, didn’t,” Nayeon jeers.

 

“Well I caught them in the act, too! And it was in my room. My room!”

 

“And I couldn’t do it,” Nayeon tells them. “I mean flirting with Momo would be my best bet, but you know how competitive Mina can get. I don’t want to die at this age.”

 

“Okay.” Chaeyoung nods. “I see your point. But how about Tzuyu? Or me?”

 

Nayeon scoffs. “Oh please. Chaeng, you couldn’t flirt or do anything without laughing; and Mina and Momo wouldn’t know if Tzuyu was flirting even if she offered Gucci to one of them.”

 

“Hey, I can flirt!” Chaeyoung huffs. Hoping no one would notice, she steals a glance at Tzuyu as she says, “If I really like the person, that is.”

 

“So what do you guys say?” Nayeon looks smug. “Operation: MiMo is a go?”

 

 

“Okay, are you ready to do this?”

 

Momo chuckles. “Mina, you’re the one going on a date, not me.”

 

“I know. That’s why I’m asking you if you’re ready for this.”

 

“What? Oh, yeah, of course. We already talked about this. We’re not the type to be jealous or possessive with each other. Well, at least I’m not jealous.”

 

Mina scoffs. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Remember 2 weeks ago when Nayeon and I were dancing? Yeah, it’s like winter came early that day.”

 

Mina rolls her eyes. “Whatever, I’m going on a date now.” She takes a step away but Momo grabs her by the arm.

 

“No, Mina, wait, I’m sorry. I was just trying to calm your nerves but it was the wrong to do it. Please forgive me?”

 

“…Yeah, okay.”

 

Momo gives Mina a hug. “Have fun out there, and let him down gently.”

 

“Geez, what is taking so long?” Nayeon groans. “Momo, is Mina your daughter or something? Are you sending her off?”

 

“Nayeon, relax, I’m going!” Mina turns to Momo. “I’ll see you later?”

 

Momo nods. “Yeah. And Mina?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“I…” Six months. Six months and she hasn’t said it yet. Neither of them have. But Momo knows it. Momo knows she feels it for Mina. She just can’t say it. Not like this, at least.

 

“…Nothing. I’ll see you later, or else Nayeon is really gonna kill us now.”

 

“Hi, Mina,” Bambam greets the girl. He pretends not to notice Momo staring daggers into him. “Shall we go?”

 

“Yeah, sure.”

 

The girls approach Momo who stands there quietly watching her girlfriend leave with some guy for a date. “I think I’m gonna just stay in bed all day,” Momo tells them, trying to mask the sadness in her voice.

 

“Oh come on, Momo,” Jeongyeon chides. “How long has it been since all of us went out as a group, huh? We should go and at least eat somewhere!”

 

“But Mina’s not here.”

 

“She can meet us later,” Nayeon brushes her off. “Let’s go to that barbecue place that just opened!”

 

Momo sighs, but she knows that Jeongyeon has a point. “Okay, fine.”

 

Momo and Mina agreed not to text each other while the date was going on, so imagine their surprise when they see each other there—Mina with Bambam, Momo with the 7 other girls. The big group takes the table next to Mina, with Nayeon and Jeongyeon making it so that Momo has a clear view of them. Now Bambam, having instructed by Nayeon about the plan, knew what to do and put on a great show—he starts by wiping the sauce off Mina’s face, then proceeds to putting the meat on her plate, and holds Mina’s hand even if the girl keeps retracting from him.

 

“Nayeon,” Jeongyeon whispers, “it’s not working!”

 

“I know!” Nayeon groans. “Do they even like each other?”

 

“You set this up?” Jihyo, who heard the mini-conversation right beside them, asks.

 

“!” Jeongyeon hisses. “We’re in trouble!”

 

“We’ll discuss this later,” says Jihyo.

 

“Alright, I’m gonna have to go with Plan B,” says a determined Nayeon.

 

“What’s Plan B?” Jihyo asks. When Nayeon doesn’t answer and scooches over to sit next to Momo, Jihyo turns to Jeongyeon. “What’s Plan B?”

 

“I honestly don’t know.”

 

“Hey, Momo,” Nayeon greets the girl, putting an arm around her shoulder. God help me if Mina kills me for this, she silently prays. “So, how have you been recently?”

 

“Well, not fine right now,” Momo mutters as she shoves a piece of meat into .

 

“Oh, great, want me to kiss you?”

 

“What?” Momo says, turning to her.

 

“What?” Mina also says at the same time as Momo—but in a loud voice, louder than her usual, soft one, that Bambam and the other girls look at her. Upon seeing the unwarranted attention, Mina clears and turns back to Bambam. “I-I mean, what did you say your major was again, Bambam?”

 

“So,” Nayeon calls back Momo’s attention, “what do you say?” She presses a kiss to her cheek.

 

“Oh my god,” Jihyo mumbles. “Mina is going to kill Nayeon.”

 

“Not if I kill her first,” Jeongyeon says beside her.

 

“N-Nayeon, w-what are you talking about?” Momo gulps. “I can’t kiss you.”

 

“Why not?” Nayeon pouts. “Look, I’m just trying to make Jeongyeon jealous. We’ll just make out for like five seconds.”

 

“WHAT!”

 

“Fine, just a simple peck.” Nayeon groans. “Come on, Momo. It’s not like you have a girlfriend or something. It’s a win-win. You can use me as practice for other girls.”

 

“No!” Momo slams the table. “I don’t want to!”

 

Nayeon smirks. Here it goes. “Why not?”

 

“I can’t believe this is actually gonna work,” Tzuyu sighs.

 

Sana turns to her. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Sana,” says Chaeyoung, “just watch.”

 

“Why don’t you want to kiss me, Momo?” Nayeon asks again.

 

“Because I love Mina!”

 

A collective gasp is heard before complete silence, and this prompts Momo to stand up from her seat, going towards Mina.

 

“Yes, I am in love with her. I love her. Mina, I know we haven’t said that to each other and I hope I don’t freak you out but I love you so much. A-And I hope it’s okay that I’m letting the girls find out about this way.”

 

Mina lets out a soft giggle before giving Momo a kiss. “Momoring, I love you too. And it’s okay, I think it’s about time they found out, anyway.”

 

“Oh, we already know,” Tzuyu deadpans, with Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Dahyun, and Chaeyoung nodding along.

 

“YOU DO?” This shocks Momo, Mina, Sana, and Jihyo.

 

“Wait!” Momo turns to Sana. “You knew?!?!?!”

 

“Remember that time that you, me, and Mina went out and I said I just woke up? Yeah, I was planning to prank you that time but I just heard you two making out instead.” Sana rolls her eyes.

 

“At least you just heard them,” Jeongyeon grumbles. “She’s my roommate. And I have eyes.”

 

“Sorry, Jeongyeon,” Mina apologizes with a sheepish smile.

 

“So, wait, Sana… are you mad at us? That we didn’t tell you?” asks Momo.

 

“Well… at first I was, but how could I stay mad? You’re so in love with each other it’s disgustingly cute.”

 

“Yeah, we thought you were just having at first,” Chaeyoung admits.

 

“Oh, actually, we were,” Momo says with a chuckle. “Yeah, I guess we have to tell this story, huh…”

 

“Oh, and Bambam, I’m sorry for this whole mess,” Mina tells him. “You’re a nice guy, but I’m in love with my best friend.”

 

“No worries, Mina, I’m in love with my best friend, too.” Bambam stands up. “I just agreed to do it for Nayeon’s plan.”

 

Mina blinks her eyes and slowly turns to Nayeon. “Your plan?”

 

“L-Listen, Mina, we don’t need to talk about this… I mean, look how well it all turned out! Let’s just celebrate the fact that you and Momo are—Okay please don’t kill me!”