Suburbia - Troye Sivan

The Art of War

I was halfway to finishing my salad when the first attack on the capitol started but the actual war didn't start until around twelve noon on my birthday, which is actually also today. I wasn't very panicked though. In my world, this is my everyday. Especially, if your father and siblings (more like your entire clan) are in the military.

My sister is a medic and a major in the air force, my baby brother just enlisted, and of course, my twin is a colonel. Our father serves as a general of the marines and doubles as the chief of staff. He didn't force us into joining the armed forces, maybe because it was the default already. My mom was a medic too, like Jisoo. There was an attempted attack on the first family; she went to to check if the first lady was okay when a sniper got her. Some fathers might go all papa bear or go berserk when something like that happens however, my dad wasn't one of them. He grew up with battle in his blood, he has long accepted that sometimes sacrifice is necessary. He has been long adjusted to war. They all have. 

 

Except for me.

 

------------‐-----------------

 

On the third month of the war of the rocks (honestly, who names these things) the government asked (more like issued an a law) for volunteers to help with the war. And the better the liar your head of state is the bigger the turnout, guess my father's boss is the better liar. Our army outnumbered yours 5:1.

 

My brother led the attack that will result into your capture. (Their commanding officer startled your squadron while you were on your way to dinner.) We were nearing the end of the second year of the war when these happened and I'm just glad you weren't a body count when I found you, Sooyoung and Yerim thoug,  I'm having second thoughts about. Thise two are EVIL.

You were the opinionated one in your squad. My dad told me about the brilliant tactician who doesn't let a day go by without laughing at how pathetic our strategy was. Which is so ironic since we caught you without a sweat. (You argued that we were for not respecting meal tjmes, you idiot. I didn't know wars had rules. Mahbe because the only rules it has are "Kill the enemies." and  "Don't die."

The war already took the lives of almost fifteen hundred men and destroyed over 23 million in properties from both sides.

 

You spent your twenty fifth birthday behind bars which also marked the seventh month after your arrest. That makes me older than you by over 3 years. My dad brought some files about what happened on that particular August day, you were to be questioned the very next day.

 

The investigation went like a family reunion for me, most of my relatives and cousins were there. My brothers and sister was in attendance too, when I asked Junmyeon why was he was there when there is clearly something more important going on (the war obviously) he said his ears were ringing from all the loud gun shot shockwaves so they sent him home. Eunwoo was more or less dragged to this so he was just napping the entire time. Jisoo on other hand was ogling you and your squad the entire time, a mischievous grin was across her face.

"Hey unnie, the blonde one keeps on glancing at you." 

"What are you talking about? Why are you here anyway you hate interrogations." I should've known that in that moment the little demon was scheming something.

"Meh. I was bored. She's cute though."

And indeed you were. What was I doing there you might ask? Well, I was curious on what excuse do you have do you have on taking part in this chaos.

 

Most of your buddies were questioned before you, they were asked why they were doing this they just answered that your country was in shambles and it was their duty to protect it as its citizens. How noble  i almost applauded them for such patriotic nationalism. Almost. If only no lives were taken an no blood was shed. When it was your turn and they asked you the same question, you just rolled your eyes and said, "I just signed my name on that piece of paper they were giving. We were told it was for rations but here we are. If you think whatever this is symbolizes how much we care about our country, you need to get checked. Destruction and murder is not something to be proud of. Your buddies needed to answer a few more questions after that, you did too, although you never spoke again. You sat there playing with the cuffs on your wrists, a smirk hiding behind droopy eyes.