Sesquipedalian (part 2)

Duality: Mamamoo & What Is To Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A trail of mud created by the dragged legs, along with footprints that steps heavily in a rain. It was not going very far as a scream was ripping through the air, stopping that very set of footprints. She can feel herself being pushed to the ground, her sight becoming blurry but still good enough to catch a glance of a shadow that steps closer… She recognize that dirty rag, and the porcelain skin that does not seem as bright as before… The golden tresses covered her eyes entirely as her ebony lips moving vigorously, creating shapes that she cannot quite read…

 

“Miss?”

 

Her eyes are getting wider, seeming to go back from a trance. She scans her surroundings with a confused look.

 

“Still want me to do the readings for you?”

 

That’s right, she was walking just around the corner and happen to slip inside this box of a prophet. It was all shiny, full of trinkets and items that were spilled all over the place, every bit of it seems as cliche as the paranormal stuff you want it to be.

 

And now, the prophet, or at least the bogus that dressed as convincingly as he can as a prophet is holding Hyejin’s right palm upward, something about this hand-reading that supposedly the most accurate way to foretell your future.

 

“Uh… Yes, please.” She will not going to pay for nothing.

 

“Let’s see…AH! This line is jagged!”

 

“What does that mean?”

 

“You won’t be able to get married like, ever! Even going into a relationship will bring you agony! No, Nada, Nope! You were destined to be single forever, at least in this lifetime!”

 

Maybe this was a bad idea in the first place.

 

 

The steps on the small puddles creating ripples that almost stain her black Converse as she run towards the shabby part of the building and open the gray door with a creaky sound. Suddenly her vision is bombarded by bright colors and feathers hanging all over the place. She put her backpack on one of the table that is not messy with cosmetics all over the place as she flashed a smile to one of the performers.

 

“Hyejin-ah… I’m so sorry! One of our dancers is sick, and…”

 

“It’s fine, unnie…”

 

“You sure you are done with your class assignment today?”

 

Hyejin rolled her eyes. “Yes mom I have done it! Now which costume should I wear today?”

 

--

 

“Today will be your lucky day! For the first time ever, a performer that is making a comeback… !”

 

The cheering and clapping are getting louder as every eyes were focused on the red curtain, which slowly reveals a carefully manicured nails that going in a slow, almost teasing motion, before it was snapped to the side, causing gasps that can be heard from the seats. A woman in tight-clad red spandex, complete with red long boots and a hat with an insignia of a bird. “Please welcome, the one and only, Tia Maria, The Little Swallowwwww!”

 

The woman strut confidently along the stage in a sensual motion before grabbing a man in the necktie and blows him a goodbye kiss, causing shrieks and sighs from men and women equally. The intro of After Hours is filling the air as she steps gracefully along with the rhythm.

 

I’m falling into deep

Without you I can’t sleep

Cause my heart belongs to you

 

Her hips gyrating to left and right, creating some sort of a trance as the song is getting into the chorus, one that is so catchy she almost hums it across the room.

My darkest hours
Girl I felt so alone in this crowded room’

 

She steps down the stage easily with the helping hand of the audience and slowly making its way to the table of the bar, creating movements that is almost theatrical as if to tease the audience and leave everything to the imagination, intricate shapes came from her finger under the neon lights, producing a satisfying ambience that is almost to the point of erse. She look at her audience, her smile was starting to get out of character before her eyes caught on the door.

 

The golden tresses.

 

Hyejin manage her expressions carefully, trying not to look shocked and continue her dancing while fixating her attention to the door. Black shirt with equally black pants that creating a dapper look that suits her but mismatched white sneakers that looks like it was going to rip apart at any given moment, the skin that is so pale and bright like… a lamp?

 

What is this dejavu feeling she’s having?

 

The song is almost over. Thundering claps and compliments can be heard all over the room as Hyejin smile politely and bowing before walking in steps that are getting quicker as she grab the stranger by the wrist. It was creating a pause moment as neither were starting the conversation. Okay, this is awkward! She kind of expects this person to just escape…

 

“Are you a regular?”

 

The blonde woman tilt her head to the side, simply staring at Hyejin with a confused expression.

 

“I mean… did you come here often? Or first timer? I swear I have never seen you before…” Okay, she didn’t perform as often here since last month, but… “You should be sitting down with the others, I mean, with the audience, which are strangers, not like others others…” This is so not what she has in mind… Why is she rambling again?

 

The blonde gives her a small smile.

 

“I can see better from here, that’s all.” She look at her wrist. “Mind letting go now?”

 

“As long as you promise not to go away. Wait here. I’ll change for a bit.”

 

--

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting. I…”

 

She was just almost done putting crumpled bills inside her wallet as she look around, searching for certain someone that did not keep her promise. The frown was getting deeper as the last part of the song strumming across the room.

 

Oh baby,

Where are you now when I need you the most

Sorry that I break your heart
This time, I won’t break your heart


She should have keep her somewhere before this… is what she thought as she scouring the street, running tirelessly and before her legs gave up on her, she stops and almost crouching at the pedestal, catching her breath. Why is she chasing her? Who is she anyway? She was just a stranger.

 

A stranger that always haunting her dreams.

 

Like this night, as another dream jolt her awake again, this time much clearer than any dream she had ever experience. She was taken somewhere, and that golden, blinding light… Why can’t she remember anything? Hyejin decides that she couldn’t just go back to sleep another blink after this, taking a warm shower, wrapping herself in a bathrobe, water dripping off her hair as she sip a glass of tea, sitting at her balcony, waiting for the sun to rise.

 

As the orange slit split the sky, a loud clanking sound ripping through the air. Hyejin grip the handrail as she look over and before saying anything, rush downstairs and getting to a body that fell over a trash bin.

 

“Hey are you al…”

 

This woman. That golden tresses that seems to be longer since the last time they meet, the same black shirt that looks like it hasn’t seen better days… As Hyejin turn her over, the woman’s hand clutching her chest, her breathing ragged. Hyejin scramble through her pocket to find that phone before a hand stop her.

 

“Please, don’t.”

 

And she fainted.

 

--

The alarm’s beeping sound woken her from the slumber. There is nothing she can do except to force her body to wake up as the very movement create a stinging sensation that almost ends in a shout. This is a room, but whose? Her golden tresses dangling in a curled, unruly mess as she steps down the bed and open the door, letting her legs to take her everywhere.

 

“Yes, I will join you there once I am done with all these formalities and whatnot. Yes, yes, I am almost finished with my thesis, god, sometimes I forgot how naggy you are at times…”

 

Hyejin ends her call before checking her email, sending a file under the name ‘Design Proposal for Egypt’ before closing it, brushing her black hair with fingers while facing backward, and their eyes come into contact.

 

That pairs of blue sapphires that is so obvious even with those slanted eyes. Hyejin have to admit that she was almost lost in it before the conscience pull back. She gets up from her chair, her bare thighs creating small steps to the woman as she offer her right hand. “My name is Hyejin. Yours?”

 

The woman seems to have no qualms as she return the gesture.

 

“Moon Byulyi. Please, just call me Byul.”

 

“Please, take a seat.” Hyejin make a gesture, almost unconsciously pull the other chair as the situation becomes awkward all of a sudden. “Let me just cut to the chase. We have met before… And why were you fainted near my flat this morning?”

 

“I could have ask you the same.” The small smile she wears again so flawlessly almost throw Hyejin off. “Why did you come to me before?” She smiles as Hyejin getting speechless.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter