TWO

SUNRISE (GFRIEND)

“Umji-yah…” her voice sounds raspy as soon as she cut the colorful surroundings from that brittle connection she initiated. She tucked my hair on my ears. “I love you…I’m sorry if I did that. Guess you have learned very well. Truly a fast learner eh?” She’s still centimeters away and I’m getting drown into her eyes, I slapped her shoulder and giggled but she directly kissed my forehead. I pulled her closer for a hug.

“Shut up unnie.” Still hugging her tightly while blushing, but I can’t hide the smiles that inevitably goes out from my blissful soul. “I miss you…so much” I pouted and even hug her tightly.

“Yeah, obviously. Because you’re trying to c--crush my bones at the moment. But I missed you more, Yewon-ah.” I automatically retracted from her when I realized I’m kinda hurting her, she laughed at me.

“Hahahaha! It’s fine. I’m just kidding. Come here!” She dropped her Korean accent and talked in English. But before she can pull me for another hug, I avoided her and stepped back to start picking up my materials which dropped, including my figurative underwear when she impulsively eradicated that partial innocence in me.

“You’re too…abusive Choi Yuna. Do you think I’ll make this easy for you? No. No…You need to compensate for those days when you’re not on my side.” I sounded like a whining child while complaining. I just really missed her.

She pouted. “But it wasn’t easy for me as well. I did not even know that would happen!” She whined and protested.

“Nah, I’m just kidding.” I entwined my fingers on hers, lightly squeezing it. This time, I was the one leaning on her shoulders.

“But if you really need that compensation…I’ll make it up to you. Everyday. As long as... you’re gonna date me and let me court you in the way I know, and I want.” My heart isn’t in a proper state, I think I should consult to my doctor as soon as possible. Man, it’s beating really fast. If my heart was racing in a horse track, believe me, bet on it and we’ll surely win. I did a mental face palm. I let my action respond on her question. I lightly squeeze her hand when I felt that it’s quite turning cold as she anticipates on my answer.

“Hmm.” I nodded and smiled. That’s the only thing I can respond for losing all the words I can utter to answer her. This moment, I only know about how happy I am knowing she’s here again and she never stopped finding me again. All I thought is you already forget about me. 

“Thank you Yewon. I thought you’re gonna be mad at me.” It is the only time I heard her voice cracked and sounded broken for longing all these years that we’re apart from each other.

“I can’t.” I faced her and wipe those tears that keep on  her cute cheeks. “Stop crying, please. Ulgosipeoyo, eonnie.” I smiled at her as she gave me a sweetest one in return, when she hushed on sobbing. I looked at my wrist watch and found out we can still attend remaining classes.

“You still have class? It’s just 8:21, I guess we can still attend the remaining classes?” I asked her.

“Hmm, yeah. I still have, but not in photography. I’m already taking up music degree right now.” She smiled and stood up. “Let’s go?”

“Wow. But what about photography? I thought it was your dream…” I continued prying about the sudden change of career.

“About that. I already finished my degree in photography because I got accelerated, doing athletics and photography at the same time on US. Well, music is still under fine arts, so we really have the same school. It was under my plan, assuming I’ll meet you at the Korean National University of Arts. I guess…luck is with me this time? My plan worked.” She smiled again and held my hand. While we walked through the sidewalk on the way to the University. It’s quite near at the park though. 

“Wow. You must be really successful this time. And, I really want to thank you, for not giving up…and I’m sorry if I thought you already forgot me.” I commended and apologized remorsefully, she nodded.

“No... No matter what happen, that will always be my choice. If I didn’t look for you, maybe I’m still going to be incomplete. For 6 years, Yewon-ah. You never left my mind, not even my heart.” I stopped from walking.

“You never left mine too, Yuna.”

From what I’ve uttered, her smiles were too evident to be hidden. It pulled my giggles out from my throat that I haven’t experience for a very long time after her obscure disappearance. She’s really cute when she smiles that shows all her teeth. 

“Don’t make me hug you here Umji-yah.” She let out chortles again as we continued walking. We fell in comfortable silence until we reached the gate of the university that requires us to scan our RFID-based card from the scanner that will let us enter the premises of the school.

As we’re half way to our own department building, I can sense that everyone seems throwing nosy or curious glances. I look to the tall woman beside me, wondering if she have something to say about it, and what I assumed was right as she explain why.

“If you’ll date me Umji-yah…I’m sorry but you have to keep unbothered with those stares. I wonder, why you don’t know why they are looking at us.” She murmured and went closer to my ears. “Yewon-ah…I’m ahh…well, some kind of a famous Youtuber.” She whispered and run to the direction on the way to the music department’s location. But she turned back and shouted, “Let’s meet at the park. We’re gonna have a lunch together!” That caught the attention of the students even more, before she turned back again she threw a wink on my direction. Does my jaw reached the ground? C’mon. Fry an egg on my cheeks, I’m certain that you’ll get it in less than 30 seconds. 

I never get embarrassed this hard in my entire life. I swear! She’s a girl beyond the customary expectation, and that thought eventually made me shook my head in disbelief about her utter weirdness. Yuna-yah, I can’t believe I fell on your trap that fast. Even your way of teaching me about how to love is surreal. 

That is the moment I picked up the mortified pieces of myself and act nonchalantly as I walk the pavements on the way to my class. I felt a boiling sensation unceasingly rising up to my cheeks, but still acted like nothing happened. I can’t prevent to touch my lips with my right hand that is free from holding my equipment for my art class. I’m missing it already--- WHAT THE HECK.

“Aish! What have you done-” I didn’t continue uttering it before someone send me to the guidance counselor for being psychologically unstable for an artist. I tightened the grip on the strap of my bag. Half of me regretted that you came back to find and confessed to me with sudden attack of unspoken passionate hormonal act. But half of me is currently battling that I shouldn’t be thinking this way because I’m just betraying myself because of what I truly feel for my weirdo best friend, I mean, a rash level up for us.

---

I finished the whole class. Fortunately, the prof on the first period was summoned for an emergency orientation and meeting. The clock already tick at 12, synchronizing with the loud ringing of the bells on the whole campus as a sign of lunch break. I didn’t wait for another minute to be wasted and stood up to go outside of this well-ventilated human anatomy lab. But before I reach the door, I was already being dragged by her. I wasn’t pertaining to Yuju. But it’s her. 

Jung Eunbi.