The Timing

Love In Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Am I being punished for something I have done?

I’m the worst mother in the world for being in this situation.

I have savings but that’s going to be zero before I get a new job.

Why am I such an idiot? Why am I never good enough?

Negativity flutters inside her head as she exits her now former office. Their Seoul Branch is shutting down next year and they’re starting to lay off people. Unfortunately to Kwon Yerin, she was included on the first list that was announced privately yesterday. She came only to gather her things. Also, it’s easier to do it today because it’s a Saturday, she won’t be as embarrassed as she would be if her former co-workers were present to send her off like a failure. Nuri, her friend, will be transferred to their other Bucheon branch so she was able to keep the position. That makes Yerin lose a friend too. She would be willing to move that far for such stable job but her daughter’s life is where they are now; her school, her friends, her grandparents and most especially, her father. She can never do that to Inyoung. “You’re a hard-working employee my . If I was, you wouldn’t choose me that easily.” She grunted while walking towards her car.

She’s been laid off a few times in her life but this job had been her longest-running job so far. She really thought she’d get old working there as one of the associates. The first people she had told this about was, of course, her parents. They offered to help her with anything for the mean time until she finds a new job. She hasn’t told Kyungsoo yet because she’s not ready to hear his classic, “See how finishing university actually matters?” rant every time she loses her job.

But she needs to tell him, she has got to. It’s his right to know because they’re co-parenting. And her not having a job for a little while affects that.

Finally, a smile reached her lips when she saw a text message from Baekhyun. She hasn’t genuinely smiled since she exited the Human Resources office yesterday.

I’m here with Inyoung now, we’re starting soon. She said you went to work, on a Saturday? That’s not fun. ☹

Yerin sighed. She’d honestly rather be working right now. Just as when she thought her life’s slowly going the smooth-sailing way, this happens. Just when she finally meets someone who’s willing to get to know her and her daughter on a deeper level, potentially building her dream relationship with, she loses a job. Like her mother always told her, “Family, love life, career – one of them will always be bad. When the bad one finally becomes good, another one of the three turns sour. It’s the cycle of life.” She never used to believe it but she’s starting to. 

I will tell you when I get home, on my way! 😊

She sent the text before starting her engine. Her drive home was quick, she barely felt it despite that she drove carefully. All the thoughts in her head were filling up with anxiety. She wanted to panic but she knew there was no point in doing so, it’s just going to make her decision-making worse. “I should tell Kyungsoo—, I don’t want to fight today. I’m not in the mood.” She argued with herself knowing that she might share another fight with Kyungsoo if he finds out the she doesn’t have a job anymore. She breathed in and out, heavily, carefully, before pressing the call button. She nervously takes small glimpses to her phone on its mount. As soon as he answered, she let out a last deep sigh before speaking. “H-hey, Kyungsoo. Are you feeling better now? Do you still take your shots? I hope not. Inyoung didn’t get the cold, thank God, right?” She started off lively to not surprise him too much.

“What’s this about?”

, she could only curse in her mind right now but Kyungsoo for being way too smart on that. “What do you mean? Silly. Just concerned.” She laughed it off, unknowingly showing even more discomfort in her tone. “That was five days ago, of course I’ll be better. Is there something wrong?” The man straight-up asked without hesitating. “Ugh—fine, why are you so smart for no reason.” Yerin gave in with a frustrated grunt. “Please tell me fast, I’m actually on hold in a Skype meeting, so if it’s possible, tell me quick. If it’s not, text me and I will read it later.” His tone was rather kind, kinder than the usual when she interrupts him during work. She was quite surprised by that.

“N-no—just. . . Kyungsoo, I. . . I got laid off again.” As soon as she let it out to him, she burst out of tears. She told her parents and she didn’t even cry but every time she tells this news to him, she can’t help but cry like a lunatic. “Oh.” She heard Kyungsoo’s heavy sigh on the other end making her sob even louder, like a scared little child. “First, stop crying. You seem to be driving, I can hear the honks. Don’t cry while driving, that’s not safe.” He calmed her down with a monotone voice, something that has always worked for her despite of his aloofness.

Yerin breathed heavily before crying back. “But Kyungsoo, I know what you’re going to say. This has happened too many times but this job is something I actually love doing and so I don’t want to hear your classi—” She paused to wipe her tears quickly to keep her vision clear. “Yerin, we will figure it out together, just relax for now.” Kyungsoo simply said. As if it was a rattle toy to a baby, she stopped crying instantly. That was a first. She has never heard him say something like that and worse, to declare such thing as the two of them. “R-really?” She asked in between small sobs. For the first time, she felt like she can actually rely on him. She’s never felt that before. He’s never shown that side of him before, it’s confusing her so much. “Okay, the people I’m Skyping with are starting to look pissed to I need to end this call. I will call you back as soon as I can. Okay, bye.” He ended the call immediately leaving Yerin totally dumbfounded.

Did he just talk to her nicely for the entire one minute and eighteen seconds of their phone call?

Is she dreaming? If she was. . .  is she still laid off from her job though?

When she arrived home, she has already calmed down and there was no sign of tears left on her face. “Hey.” She shyly smiled once she finally met eyes with Baekhyun. They were on their usual tutoring spot, on their dining table, papers and books scattered around the table. “Eomma, did you buy me gummies?” Inyoung asked with a big grin on her face, she pleaded for gummies before Yerin left. “Of course, here you go baby.” She walked towards the table and handed a bag of gummies to the kid. “Alright, take a five-minute break and eat your gummies.” Baekhyun let the kid go who sprinted fast into the kitchen leaving the two adults on the table. Yerin slumped down the chair where Inyoung was sitting on and looked at Baekhyun, showing her exhausted face. “Well, I hope you’re paid for to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter