Prologue

Until It's Gone

The atmosphere is tense in the dimly lit study room. The eldest member of the family is seated behind his work desk while his wife is seated on a couch with their daughter and daughter-in-law at her side. Their son is standing by the fireplace, while their son-in-law is seated between the youngest four of the family.

"We have a week to make a decision." The eldest weakly mumbles, watching his grandchildren carefully as they read over the contract he received just that afternoon.

"I'm sorry, my children. I didn't know Oh would actually bring this up. I truly am sorry about this." The elder sincerely apologizes.

"Father, please don't apologize, rather find a way to get my daughter out to this situation." His daughter-in-law calmly states.

"I agree with sister-in-law. We're not pushing our youngest to an arranged marriage, not when she-."

"Fine, should I ask them to consider Jia?"  The eldest raises an eyebrow, challenging his daughter to continue.

"Grandpa. I'll do it." His youngest granddaughter states, eyeing her glassy eyed cousin and the glint of silver on her fourth finger.

"There's no need. I'll contact the Oh's and see if there's any way we can go around this certain condition. I'm not using my daughter in a business deal." Her father states.

"Why not me? I have nothing to lose, if it helps the family I'm willing to step up." The second youngest stands up.

"I appreciate the thought son, but they want the union between our youngest daughter and their youngest son." Grandfather answers.

"I'll do it. They sent the proposal for me, so I'll do it, if I must. And that's final." The youngest shares a look with each person in the room.

"However, I think we should see if there's any way for us to go around it." She bows for the oldest members, but she's storming out the study room.

"Hui. Stop." Her siblings run to catch up to her.

"What are you doing?" The oldest yells at her.

"I have to do this ge. The proposal is for me, so it has to be me." A sad smile graces her face, tears lining her eyes.

"You're fine with sacrificing your happiness?" Her older cousin asks,

"We're not sure yet. I'm sure Baba and Uncle will find an alternative solution." She tries to smile through her tears.

"And if they can't?" Her brother asks, 

"What we've always been taught. Family first." That's the final straw, before she releases a loud sob, falling to her knees with her siblings quick to hold her.