I can handle!

DubChaeng Story

(ed: from an article about exams in South Korea)

Every year in November in South Korea, a day comes when life freezes almost completely: electric trains are postponed, the exchange opens trading later, planes can not take off and land.

This is the day of the Unified Exam - the college eligibility test (), the "X-day" for every student who wants to go to a good university.

The most radical measure on the day of the exam is a ban on take-off and landing of all aircraft except in emergency cases.

It is valid for 35 minutes while students pass the listening : listen to the text in English and answer questions. This part of the exam requires complete silence, and it reigns across the country.

By order of the Ministry of Transport, airliners, which were in the air at these minutes, had no right to decrease to a height of less than 3 km. Passengers of 62 domestic and 36 international flights had to wait.

Seoul officially notifies all aviators of these restrictions through NOTAM ( Notice to Airmen ) - a system of operational international alerts about the air navigation situation.

The student must have time to go to the examination center before the moment the doors are closed and the text of the tasks is opened. The order is being monitored by tens of thousands of police and firefighters. But they are called not so much to stop violations as to help students.

In case one of the schoolchildren gets lost along the way, forgets at home or loses somewhere a receipt with notification of registration for the exam (identifying the student), on the morning before the exam, the traffic police provides a special car unit: the patrols are ready to take the person in trouble schoolchild home for a document or quickly deliver to the exam site.

***

On November 24th she waited with trepidation in her heart. After all, it is on this day that she must pass the state exam. This day will determine which university she will enter. She prepared wherever the moment was free: in the morning, while traveling to re-record a musical performance, during a snack, when preparing for the show, on the way in the car for a photo shoot.

8 members created for her as much space as possible, muffled their voices to a minimum so as not to interfere with preparation. They carefully looked after her, brought food, even had to feed her by hand, served a bottle of water, talked to the fans themselves, explaining why Kim DaHyun could not talk to them. Tofu fans understood, accepted and wished them luck on the exam.

With what love and care they prepared the food for the examination day was shown in one episode of TWICE TV . At that time, their child was cramming, re-reading his notes, preparing for tomorrow.

In front of her lay a lot of different subject books, scribbled notebooks, in one hand she held a pen, gifted for such an event by Jeongyeon. Next to the notebooks lay pencils, sharpened to a sharp point; the set was presented by Sana. New eraser and pencil case - from Momo. Nayeon gave her a talisman in the form of a paper man, with wishes, she made it with her own hands, putting her love and support there.

JiHyo recorded some encouraging songs and Mina a penguin keychain. The precious gifts from her members meant a lot to her. So she was not alone, and knew that to cope with any difficulties. From Tzuyu she received the strongest hugs that can be obtained from their maknae. The only one who has not gifted something yet was Chaeyeong, her best friend, the most beloved and closest of the members.

DaHyun was confident that Chaeyeong would find time to give or somehow cheer her up before the exam. Now all her thoughts were occupied with numbers, text, etc. The members didn’t enter the maknae-line room , they didn’t disturb, only when the clock struck 22:00, they decided to disturb them. To say that she went to bed earlier, because she has to get up early tomorrow, she needs to sleep well.

When Chaeyeong and Tzuyu opened the door to their room, they found that the light was off, but their leader was not in the bed. They did not make a fuss, knowing full well where their girlfriend might sleep. Chaeyeong climbed onto her bed, smiled to herself, near the wall, clutching the toy to her, DaHyun was sleeping. Tzuyu also smiled, silently, wished good night, and went to her bed. Moved so quietly that Chaeyeong didn't hear anything.

Chaeyeong lay down next to him, covered herself with a blanket, covered her eyes. But as soon as she fell into a dream, she felt a shift in bed, then she was hugged tightly around her waist. Having opened one eye, Chaeyeong confirmed her assumptions. DaHyun clung to her, laying her head on her chest level, as if she were her baby and was asking for protection in her arms. Chaeyeong carefully and gently hugged in response, allowing her to dive head under her chin, almost squeeze into her body. She heard a satisfied sigh from DaHyun, smiled, gently ran her back:

“You will definitely come out victorious tomorrow, unnie,” Chaeyeong whispered, pressing her lips somewhere in the crown.

“Chaeyeong, tomorrow, after the exam, will you go somewhere with me?” - I heard a muffled question.

“Of course, Tzuyu and I will definitely go away,” said Chaeyeong.

“After we get away with Tzuyu?” Only you and me?

“Of course,” the girl agreed. “Now sleep, you have to get up early tomorrow.” Need to sleep. Good night, DaHyuni.

- Good night, Chae - then she was silent for a while, she added very quietly. “I can handle it, right, Chaeng-Chaeng?”

-You can do it, Dubu-unnie,” said Chaeyeong, quietly, falling asleep in the warm embrace of her older friend.

***

Day - X.

Eating in her car early in the morning for her exam, DaHyun nervously tugged at the edges of the school uniform she had decided to wear for the last time. She looked lonely out the window, watching how the street landscape flickered, changing beauty one by one. Next to her was only a driver, no one else.

Her members were still at home, in the hostel, she left earlier when they woke up. Beside her, in one seat, was a packed meal prepared by the girls. DaHyun often glanced at the boxes, reading Sana's even handwriting, smiling at cute penguins, admiring the drawings from Chaeyeong and seeing many, many hearts from the rest with wishes to pass the exam well.

At such moments, DaHyun was happy, because she knew that she was loved and appreciated as a friend, a member. She sighed heavily, noticing the familiar outline of the building where she would take it. Cars gathered there, there were motorcycles, people walked, someone ran across the road. Faced with nerves, scared eyes. Yes, if not for her fair skin, then everyone would have seen the same pallor and nervousness.

“Thank you for bringing me safe and sound,” she thanked with a nervous smile on her driver’s face as she got out of the car.

Holding a bag of food in one hand, supporting the bag with her other hand, she bowed to the driver, and went towards the building.

- DaHyun, good luck! You will surely manage! - Seeing her began to encourage younger students . She even saw her fans among them, waved her hand, gratefully taking attention. “We will hold your fists for you, DaHooney!”

“Thank you, thank you,” she thanked, feeling her heart overflow with the kindness of her fans.

Her tread was kind of light, as if a load had been thrown off her shoulders. She really felt better with every step, and when she sat at her desk, spreading the donated items from the members, she finally managed to smile in relief. Opening one of the notebooks donated, DaHyun found inside a note from senior onni and the leader:

“We will be waiting for you from the exam.

We know that you can handle everything.

You are smart, and we believe in you.

We will be here for you.

And I will be for you, when you confess to her today - it was attributed with a hand from Sana. "

She reread the note until the examiner came in and said, hide everything and leave only a pen.

I can do it!