Soulmate

DubChaeng Story

You never know where and under what circumstances you will meet your other half.

I could not imagine that I would look right now in her eyes and ask:

“Do you sleep with me today?”

And she, as if nothing had happened, will answer me:

- Of course, I’ll only hand over books. Will you wait for me?

From simple words, without a hint that she is in love with me, or at least feels something for me besides friendship, I freeze and my heart answers her question:

- I will go with you. Still, nothing to do.

She shrugs, throwing her backpack over her back, walking toward the library. I am walking nearby, admiring her profile. Actually she is so beautiful.

“You will burn a hole in me, unnie,” she smiles shyly, looking askance at me. “I know what you will tell me.” You keep repeating that I'm beautiful. Did you mean to say that?

I just smile at the answer.

Yes, my smile, she can hide any emotions, and now apparently she helped me.

She smiles at me too, in silence we go all the way, we go into the library, turning off the phones. She quietly asks me to stay at the entrance, and she quickly enters the reading room.

I don’t know how much time passes, to take her wait, I just looked out the window and dawdled.

Suddenly I hear cautious coughing nearby, and then I distinguish the familiar strawberry aroma from the dampness of the room.

“I'm sorry you had to wait so long.” I'm ready, let's go?

I turn to my voice and start laughing, seeing in her hand a bag of books:

- We came here to pass them, not to take

“Don’t laugh, unnie,” she asks, the attempt to hide behind her has failed, as the packet suddenly breaks and all the books fall to the floor.

I laugh louder, although then I cover my mouth with my palm to muffle him. I squat down next to her, helping to assemble them in one pile. Then I take a bag from my bag, put it there. Not all, some, I leave, then to carry them in my arms.

- I myself will inform them - she wanted to pick them up, but I did not allow.

“Let's get out of here until you change your mind and decide to take something else.” And why do you need so many romantic books? - my gaze stops at one of the names. “What is love?” Really ?! - raise an eyebrow, look at her.

“There is nothing strange here,” she pursed her lips, offended. - I like to read any genres.

- Okay, let's not argue again, let's go already - she hastened her, gently her head, then took her hand and led to the exit.

She shyly removed her hand, hid it in her jeans pocket, and went forward a little.

“Chaeyeong, what is your habit of overtaking your unnie all the time?” - I asked, again making a jerk to go next to her. “Actually, your unnie is too tired today to run after you,” she sighed tiredly, stopping, waiting for her to stop too.

But she continued to walk, as if not hearing me at all.

I was offended.

Part of me wanted to catch up with her, but the second part, where my pride was hiding, won, and I sat on the nearest bench, put books next to it, just looking at her back that was removing.

And why did I decide that she was my soulmate?

Why did my heart suddenly poke so strangely this morning?

Why did my eyes rest on her?

Why not the girl you saw at the supermarket yesterday? She was divinely beautiful, so tender and vulnerable, and her voice fascinated. I almost invited her to go on a date when at that moment Chaeyeong called me and asked me to come and help with her homework. So, as I am my best friend, partaking unnie, she agreed without delay and came to her. We only worked out for a couple of hours, and then spent the whole evening watching a melodrama, watching some cartoons, and finally fell asleep tightly hugging under one blanket.

When I woke up, I looked at her in the sunlight, and then my heart behaved strangely.

It was overwhelmed with tenderness towards the sweet girl lying next to me. She squinted her nose from the sunlight, my favorite dimples appeared on her cheeks, and her mole stood out even more.

At that moment it seemed to me that an angel was lying next to me, not a girl.

And then she opened one look, smiled sleepily at me, and spoke in a hoarse voice from a dream:

“Good morning, Dahyun.”

The way she spoke my name in the morning, that's why my heart gave me trembling rhythms in the morning.

From morning until noon I was overwhelmed with admiration.

And not just them.

At that moment, when I was waiting in the library, the thought came: In my opinion, I love her.

And now, in an offended state, I looked at her retreating back and thought:

Why did I fall in love with her?

- Unnie! - I heard Chaeyeong excited voice, saw how she looked around in alarm, around, trying to find me.

Then she noticed me sitting on a bench, ran up, stood opposite, looked at me for a long time, then cautiously sat next to me, looked again, our gaze was held.

“Don't scare me like that anymore, Dahyun,” she asked, resting her head on my shoulder. “I thought you were not interested in me, and you left.”

“I called you, you did not hear, Chaengi.” That's all.

- Truth? She asked softly, twisting our fingers together.

- Of course, today was a busy day, and I'm tired. And you, as always in a hurry, Chaeyeong - scolded her, but in response I received the brightest smile and a radiant look from her. - If you do not mind, now we will sit a bit, then let's go, okay?

***

You never know where and under what circumstances you will meet your other half.

I met her in high school first grade when I heard her play the piano.

The first time I heard, I could not forget the sound. It penetrated and lured me. Since then, this feeling has only grown in me.

I wanted to be with her constantly.

Hear her voice, see the stupid side, laugh at different jokes.

She lured me, and I just followed her.

The time came when I decided to take the first step, dare to tell about my feelings. I was going to ask her, but she got ahead of me by asking:

“Do you sleep with me today?”

I replied, as simple as possible, so that she could not hear the nervousness in my voice:

- Of course, I’ll only hand over books. Will you wait for me?

I did not plan to take them, because I just took them. But I needed an excuse to recover a little, to be alone with myself, to prepare. And again, fate decided to check my tender heart, my ears heard the sweet voice of Dahyun-unnie:

- I will go with you. Still, nothing to do.

Oh my God! She is coming with me. I can see her profile with one eye. But I can’t look, because her gaze burns through me. Intensively, as if he wants to swallow.

The rescue reading room closed the doors behind me, and I plunged into the book atmosphere of peace and quiet. So I thought, until my backpack fell crashing to the floor and they poked on me. I was all shaking. Thoughts swarmed in my brain, I did not know what to do. In order to somehow calm her nerves, she began to type books, woke up from the fog when she noticed a beautiful profile by the window.

Actually my unnie was incredibly beautiful. I wanted to stay here forever. Stand and admire. Only when unnie laughed and began to tease about books, I almost groaned in my voice: Why do I need so many romantic books? I don’t read them!

But because of obstinacy, she began to prove the opposite.

Dahyun-unnie did not argue with me, took my hand and led me out of the library to the street.

I did not let go of her hand because I wanted to let go, because at that moment it seemed to me that my heart would explode into a million pieces. After all, it was then that I remembered our morning today. That sunny morning, where our faces almost touched each other. That morning when I saw love in her eyes.

Again, she repeated to herself once again: I'm so in love with you, Dahyun. Please let this day be ours only.

Thought, left forward.

I didn’t want to be silent anymore, so I decided to say:

“Unnie, I like you for a long time.” More precisely, I'm in love with you, Dahyun-ni.

Waiting for an answer. Silence was my answer.

Honestly, I was scared when I did not see DaHyun walking nearby.

Frightened heart pounded: Has she really left? Did she not like my confession? Are we not friends now?

She began to look around, exhaled only when she found her sitting on a bench. She looked so lost and alone.

Slowly approached. Cautiously sat down beside her. Her gaze looked offended at me. She crossed her arms over her chest.

Precisely offended.

For what? To my words? No. Here is something else.

I didn’t ask, on the contrary, I said something else:

“Don't scare me like that anymore, DaHyuni.” I thought you were not interested with me, and you left.

Her answer pleased me and gave me hope.

So, if I say those words again a couple of minutes ago, can she reciprocate?

***

Everything is decided in a moment.

Little cupid will fly past you, his arrow will reach the goal, your heart will accelerate the pace, thoughts will arise.

You ask yourself: Why?

The answer will not come immediately, gradually you will understand the answer.

And when the time comes, when the real question comes up, you can give the right answer.

And it will be happiness if your answer matches.

After all, you never know where and under what circumstances you will meet your other half.