My Guardian Duck [Yulyen]

Lean On Me || IZ*ONE One Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Whenever Yuri looked back into her past, she was always there. She always had been and she still was there for her.

 

As a young child with no siblings, seven year old Yuri was feeling as bored as ever. She was at the age where she wanted to go out and play around with her friends.

 

However, she came from a strict household that forbids her from going out. It didn't help that her parents were busy businessmen and couldn't pay much attention to her.

 

Walking around her massive mansion, young Yuri hopped over to the living room where a black grand piano situated.

 

With her small hands, she pushed up the cover and sat on the chair before playing 'Chopsticks'. As the soft cheerful sound echoed through the place, Yuri found herself humming along to it.

 

Playing the piano was the only way to keep herself out of boredom................ until something happened.

 

Once she finished playing the song, Yuri giggled to herself. However, she stopped abruptly when a clap sounded from the corner.

 

Looking like a surprised hamster, Yuri turned to the source of the sound, only to see a young woman with blonde hair smiling sweetly at her. Her white shirt was neatly tucked into her blue jeans, giving off a formal vibe.

 

"W-who are you?" Yuri asked as she stared frozen at the woman.

 

"Me?" The woman pointed at herself before grinning widely "I'm your guardian angel!!"

 

"Angel? But you look more like a duck" Yuri replied with an innocent look on her face.

 

"D-duck?!" The 'angel' exclaimed with her eyes opened in disbelief.

 

"Yena-ah you can't hit a child" She muttered to herself while closing her eyes.

 

She then approached young Yuri who was still stuck to her chair and looking at her with curious eyes.

 

"Nice to meet you! I'm Yena" The blonde woman gave out her hand for Yuri to shake.

 

However, Yuri didn't move at all and just looked at Yena. Being a child, the former had a lot of curiosity.

 

Out of instinct, Yuri raised her hand up.......

 

 

 

 

......... and squeezed Yena's lips.

 

"Yah what was that?!" Yena took a step back with a pout on her face.

 

But that anger subsided when she heard the child laugh heartily. 

 

Before she was sent to Yuri, Yena was already informed all about the girl. About how she always felt lonely and the lack of attention from her parents despite being born into a rich household.

 

"I'm Yuri!" Yuri cheerfully greeted as she jumped onto Yena happily and looked at her with excitement in her eyes "Since you're my guardian duck...... you will play with me right?"

 

"G-guardian duck?!"

 

Yuri only giggled at her expression before pulling Yena's hand and guiding her to her room.

 

That day, Yuri made Yena play together with her dolls and even jumped onto Yena's back while yelling 'I'm riding a duck!!!'

 

(All this while, Yena had only one thought in her mind.

 

"Eunbi-unnie..... You didn't tell me I had to babysit when you sent me here!" She cursed inside her mind while squeezing one of the dolls' neck.)

 

**************************************

"Yuri-ah!! We're home!!" Yuri's parents announced as they entered the house.

 

Yuri immediately dropped the dolls she was playing with and stood up.

 

"I'll introduce you to my parents!" She said as she pulled Yena along as well.

 

She ran to her parents, full of excitement, and hugged them.

 

"Mom! Dad! I made a new friend!" She beamed happily as she gestured to her side "This is Yena!!"

 

Yuri expected her parents to react but the only thing she got in return was their confused faces.

 

"Oh Yuri-ah So you were playing with your imaginary friend?" Her dad asked as she ruffled Yuri's head "We're tired so we're going back to our room okay? Continue playing with your friend"

 

"B-but" Before Yuri could finish her sentence, the door close shut and she was all alone again.

 

With tears b in her eyes, she turned to Yena and looked up at her.

 

"But you're real....."

 

Yena sighed as she saw the sad look on the girl's face. Despite not looking like it, Yena had a soft spot for children. She squatted down so that she was level with Yuri.

 

"Yuri-ah...... The thing is" She pauses before continuing "You're the only one who can see me"

 

At the age of seven years old, Yuri made her first friend. A very special friend whom she could only see. Her very own guardian duck.

 

****************************************

 

It was a peaceful morning. The sun rays were shining brightly through the windows and onto the figure sleeping soundly under the bed sheets.

 

The girl was smiling as she dreamt of jellies and candies flying around when she was woken up by a duck quaking into her ear.

 

"JOYULL WAKE UP" The duck quacked as she hurriedly shook the girl awake "IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL"

 

Hearing that, Yuri suddenly bolted up and ran to the bathroom, leaving Yena behind.

 

Jo Yuri was now sixteen and was about to enter high school. She brushed her teeth and quickly took a shower before she realized that she had forgotten her uniform outside.

 

Peeking her head out from the door, the girl was about to call for Yena when she came face to face with her uniform.

 

"Here. I knew you were gonna ask for it anyways" Yena shook her head as she handed Yuri her uniform "What are you going to do without me?"

 

Yuri chuckled slightly and took her uniform.

 

"Thanks ducky" She smiled, placing a soft kiss on Yena's cheek before disappearing back into the bathroom.

 

"W-what?" Yena froze as she brought her hand onto her cheek, the place Yuri had kissed. A blush creeped up onto her face.

 

"What was that?"

 

Soon after, Yuri emerged from the bathroom with a 'tadaaa' and a grin on her face, twirling around as she showed off her new uniform.

 

"How do I look?" She asked with high expectations.

 

Yena just stared at her emotionlessly. When had the young girl she knew grew up into a fine young lady. Despite the features which had became more defined, Yuri still had fluffy cheeks and the most adorable smile.

 

The guardian angel shook her head slightly to get the stuffy feeling off her chest. She shouldn't be feeling this way. It wasn't right.

 

"You look okay" Yena answered non-chalantly as she shrugged.

 

"Just okay?" Yuri pouted, holding the straps of her backpack and looking down. 

 

Yena knew that the girl was sulking.

 

"You look beautiful" Yena looked to her side and muttered softly before ruffling Yuri's hair.

 

Hearing Yena's words, Yuri looked up and broke out into a mischievous smile. She took a step towards her.

 

"What was that? I couldn't hear you"

 

"Don't make me repeat myself" Yena mumbled as she covered her face with her hand.

 

Her face was bright red in contrast to her blonde hair.

 

"What a tsundere" Yuri scoffed, pinching Yena's lips and jumping onto her back "Let's go ducky!!! Carry me to the front door hehe"

 

Yena groaned as she felt the weight on her back. No, Yuri wasn't heavy. Yena just liked to tease the younger girl by exaggerating her reactions.

 

"Yes yes" She gave in as she carried Yuri until they were at the front door of her mansion. 

 

Yuri's parents were still busy. If not, they were even busier than before that they couldn't even be present for their daughter's entrance ceremony.

 

But Yuri didn't mind it. As long as she had Yena, everything was going to be okay for her. After all, Yena had been there at all times. Yuri believed that she was going to be there in the future as well.

 

*****************************************

 

It was the entrance ceremony. All new students were gathered in the gymnasium, listening to the principal giving his speech.

 

From where she was standing, Yuri could see Yena up on the stage beside the principal as she mimicked the way he spoke.

 

Being invisible to others' sight gave Yena the opportunity to fool around however she wanted. Seeing Yena's actions, Yuri had to bite in a laugh from erupting.

 

Just then the principal announced something.

 

"I would like to invite freshman Jo Yuri to give a speech as a representative of all new students"

 

Yuri was surprised. She had been home schooled her entire life and the only friend she ever had was Yena. Now, she had to give a speech in front of the entire student body.

 

Standing up stiffly, Yuri rigidly walked onto the stage and stood in front of the mic.

 

She was having an internal breakdown. She had no idea what to talk about.

 

Just then, she felt someone tap her shoulder.

 

"Trust me and just copy whatever I say" Yena assured her with a wink.

 

At that moment, Yuri felt a wave of relief hit her. Her guardian duck sure was reliable.

 

"Good morning everyone I am Jo Yuri" Yena said, which Yuri copied and spoke into the mic.

 

"I am here to speak as the representative of all the new ducks here"

 

"I am here to speak as the representative of all the new du- students here"

 

Right. How could Yuri forget that Yena was a prankster. From the corner of her eyes, she could see Yena rolling on the floor laughing.

 

A duck was going be turned into barbecue soon.

 

***************************************

 

"Joyul~ I'm sworryyyy" Yena whined and apologized as she followed behind Yuri who was walking along the corridors to find her class. 

 

However, the younger girl just ignored her and instead gave polite smiles to the students who were in the corridors.

 

"Tsk it's the first day of school and I have a feeling she's going to be popular" Yena pouted as she folded her arms.

 

Sliding the door to her class open, Yuri spotted an empty seat beside the window and made her way over it.

 

She plopped down onto the chair and took off her bag, all the while still ignoring Yena.

 

The guardian angel sat on the empty seat beside the girl and continued to whine.

 

"Please don't be mad anymoreee" Yena shook Yuri's arm and pulled her cheek "My cutie baby Joyullll"

 

"Yah St-" Yuri was about to talk back when someone approached her.

 

"Hi! Is the seat here empty?" A girl with cute round glasses asked.

 

Yuri glanced at Yena sitting on the said seat and smirked.

 

"Yup. It is very empty"

 

The girl gave Yuri a smile and proceeded to sit into the seat........ squishing Yena under it.

 

Although others except Yuri cannot touch nor feel Yena, the duck could still feel pain and now, she was feeling immense pain.

 

"J-joyul h-help" She groaned as she tried to move out from the chair.

 

Yuri subtly glanced at Yena before sticking her tongue out.

 

"You deserve it" She mouthed and proceeded to talk with her new seat mate.

 

*****************************************

 

In the blink of an eye, the day was over and Yuri and Yena were back at Yuri's room.

 

Yuri was lying down on her back while texting with her new seat mate aka friend. Meanwhile, Yena was sitting in the desk while she looked at Yuri.

 

"Now that you have a new friend, you totally forgot about me" Yena dramatically places both hands onto the right side of her chest "My heart is in pain"

 

Yuri placed her phone down for a while and glanced at Yena.

 

"The heart's on the left side you dumb duck" Then she was back to texting.

 

Yena was dumbfounded. She wanted the girl's attention.

 

Making sure not to make a noise, she approached Yuri and jumped on top of her.

 

"Joyullll play with meeee" Yena whined like a baby.

 

The situation was quite ironic. Back in a few years ago, Yuri was the one who always asked Yena to play with her and now it's the opposite.

 

"Yah what's wrong with you" Yuri frowned in annoyance as she pushed Yena onto the floor "Yena! Time out now!"

 

And that was how Yena found herself facing the wall with her arms up like a student being reprimanded.

 

A pout was evident on her face as she sulked with her face down.

 

"Joyul is so mean" She mumbled to herself.

 

Just then, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist.

 

"Yena-ya" Yuri spoke softly "No matter how many friends I will have in the future, you'll always be my best friend okay?"

 

Yena muttered a soft 'okay' but deep in her mind, the word 'friend' left a bitter taste. 

 

*****************************************

 

A semester passed by in a flash. Yuri was voted as the student council president and was working in the student council room during lunch when something caught her eyes.

 

Yena was sleeping on the couch with open and a trail of drool. She looked so at peace.

 

Yuri chuckled at the state the girl was in and closed her book before going near the girl. 

 

She carefully observed her features. From the first moment Yuri saw Yena, the brunette knew that the woman was a beauty. She had attractive eyes and a boop-able nose.

 

Her pouty lips especially stood o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter