fin.

of detention and bicycle rides

“Hwang Eunbi? Your name isn’t on the list today-”

Eunbi interrupts the familiar teacher with a deep bow at the door, “Annyeonghaseyo,” hearing the snickers she can identify as the friends she has made from her many times in the detention room. 

Eunbi sees as a certain twelfth-grader looks up from the table with puzzled, concerned eyes. “Hwang Eunbi?” the name leaves her lips softly.

Eunbi breaks into a small smile. “Unnie,” she cheerily calls in her soft voice. 

“Hwang Eunbi! Turning over a new leaf but you miss being in detention? Heol!” a certain Jeon Jungkook says from behind Eunbi in a projected voice. Bursts of laughter follow. 

Eunbi turns around and sticks her tongue out.

When she takes a seat beside the twelfth-grader by the name of Choi Yuna, the teacher at the podium hides a smug from emerging on her lips.

 

“And are the teachers going to be fine with it?” the adult at home isn’t amused. 

“She’ll be fine. You know how that girl is, everyone is her friend,” the older Eunbi shows no sign of worry. 

"Of all the days she doesn't have detention," Sojung heaves a sigh through her nostrils, partly troubled, partly relieved.

"Besides, she was there all the time only because of her late submissions and dozing in lessons."

Her hands remain folded, but her lips seem to form a small smile. “At least she knows what she’s doing,” Sojung mutters, giving small nods of her head. 

“Oh she doesn’t! She likes Yuna so much she doesn’t know!” Eunbi’s lips slowly creep up into a playful smile. “She calls her ‘Unnie’ so differently from how she calls us!”

Sojung suppresses a laughter. She whispers to herself, “Youths are just good at being reckless, but also cute.”

 

“ShinB yah, why are you here?” Yuna’s lips remain in a small frown. 

Eunbi shows a satisfied smile. “Don’t worry, just get done with your lines, I’ll just be here and not disturb you.”

“ShinB, you know I’m not worried about you disturbing me, I just don’t understand why you’re here.”

“Don’t worry about me. Also, we’ll go for tomorrow’s dance class together. After school, you’ll be able to make it right?”

Their hushed conversation is interrupted from the front of the classroom. “Choi Yuna, finish the second reflection question and you can go. Fill up at least a third of the page-” the voice pauses as an uproar from the boys behind them erupts, “and hand it up to me.”

“Ssaem!” Eunbi is first to respond, with a gleam.

Yuna keeps her smile from growing too wide. She stands up and gives a bow, “Thank you!”

Yuna pens her sincere apologies about having a bad sense of direction and estimation of the time she would take on this detour that she now takes to school. In the meantime, Eunbi completes two math questions out of four in the assignment to be handed in tomorrow. 

 

When the girls walk out of school together, Yuna offers, out of gratitude, to cycle the long way home, first accompanying Eunbi home before going back to her own. 

“Don’t! You might get lost, and don’t feel sorry, I just didn’t want to be alone.”

“Ay, I know the way from your place to mine. And besides, I enjoy your company too,” Yuna grins. 

Completely not expecting the words to come from Yuna, Eunbi is stumped. “What?” 

Yuna turns to the younger and releases a short chuckle. “You’re cute, kid,” she says and gives Eunbi’s hair a light ruffle. She takes a breath. “I like you.”

Wait what?! 

Yuna laughs again, despite the heavy thumping of her heart. “Let’s go before it gets dark,” Yuna says before climbing onto her bicycle and starts to cycle off. 

First of all, I’m not a kid! Eunbi protests in her head when she returns to her senses. Hurriedly, she climbs onto her bicycle and follows after Yuna. 

Yuna remains ahead of Eunbi throughout the trip until they arrive at the Eunbis’ home. Eunbi stumbles upon getting off her bicycle, the myriad thoughts in her head after Yuna’s confession not giving her a break. 

Wait, was that actually a confession?

“That was a confession, pabo yah,” Yuna softly says. Realising that Eunbi is not going to give a favourable response until she spells it out clearly, Yuna repeats herself, “I like you,” putting her hands on Eunbi’s shoulders, closing their distance, which shakes Eunbi slightly. 

Eunbi doesn’t know for how long her cheeks have been red, but she can definitely feel the heat now. 

“Me… too,” Eunbi’s lips barely move as she mutters.

“You too?” Yuna probes. 

Eunbi musters the courage to look straight back at Yuna, whose sparkling brown orbs are looking right into her own eyes. The excitement in her heart starts to grow. “I like you too, Yuna unnie. I like you a lot,” Eunbi gains confidence as she hears her feelings clearly in her own voice. “For a long time, unnie, I really like you.”

Yuna doesn’t know where her courage for the past twenty minutes had come from, not feeling like herself. She starts to feel embarrassed upon registering Eunbi’s words. Her grip on Eunbi’s shoulders loosen, and her arms start to drop. 

Eunbi puts her head down and releases an anxious giggle, one that Yuna finds adorable.

“If you’re willing…” Eunbi mumbles, but Yuna catches it. 

“Of course,” Yuna smiles. 

Eunbi gives a few slow nods as a smile finds a way to her lips.

Yuna, too, beams as she watches Eunbi lift her head. 

“Oh, unnie look, it’s a nice sunset,” Eunbi is momentarily distracted. 

Yuna is warmed to witness the younger girl in fascination. She brings hand up and gently caresses the back of Eunbi’s head. 

Encouraged, Eunbi takes a step and embraces Yuna, who is first taken aback but accepts the hug soon after. Eunbi relishes the scent of Yuna’s hair and the warmth of her arms, under the pink and orange hues set ablaze in the sky. 

When they awkwardly pull away from the hug a few moments later, both girls are flushing red. 

“Yahh! Hwang Eunbi! If you’re home hurry come on up, Sojung unnie’s done cooking!” a loud call startles them from above. 

Eunbi jumps. “Unnie!”

Yuna looks up in confusion, “Eunha?”

“Unnie! Yuna’s here too, shall she eat with us?” the new couple below hears the distant request upstairs. 

The voice returns again in a while, “Unnie says she’s cooked enough for all of us. Yuna, come up too,” Jung Eunbi smiles looking down. 

Yuna shakes her head, “It’s alright! My umma cooked too.”

Jung Eunbi wrinkles her nose for a brief moment. “Okay. Yahh, you, come on up,” she gives a last instruction before heading in. 

Eunbi and Yuna share a small chuckle. 

Eunbi’s shoulders rise as she inhales, her eyes angled upwards towards Yuna. “See you tomorrow,” she shyly says, before giving Yuna’s cheek a quick peck and running up the stairs at the rate at which her cheeks are reddening. 

Yuna brings a hand up to her cheek. 

“See you tomorrow!” she hollers a response when she regains her senses.

 

a/n: im not very good with highschool fluff so im not too satisfied with this. wasnt sure how it was going to end anw hOW DO HIGHSCHOOLERS EVEN DATE??? anw the 2eunbi as sisters thing came naturally in the conversation in the foreword i decided to just go back to my old trope of sojung being their guardian. for more of guardian kim sojung x orphan eunbis, check out 꽃길 / gift, the first one where the idea came about, or flowers with the colours of happiness which is another fic centred on sorin/unnieline! you can take this fic to be part of the second one, or a completely different universe. was nice writing that again,, i have a thing for 2eunbi as sisters bc they literally do share one single brain cell. asdfghjkl HAHAHA i love it when they're paired up in choreos like in mgt and tftmn these two are so irresistably adorable ;-; anw i hope you enjoyed the sinju even tho i dont find it an amazing job???