Bang!!! Culinary War Story: 1

The Universe of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bang!!! Culinary War Story

 

*******

 

Chapter 1: Beginnings

 

*******

 

Tokyo, Japan. 20XX. Tokyo International Academy.

 

*RING*

 

The sound of a school bell rang loudly in the hallway, blaring forth as the squeaks of sneakers came afterwards in waves upon waves….along with chatter of course. Now gearing into the beginning of May, it was now weeks into the school year where students already formed cliques here and there, whether they’ve been to the school from years before or being freshly minted High Schoolers. Within the timeframe between classes, there was always gossiping…..always. From whispering about hooking up with other students, borrowing notes from classmates, talking about the latest shows or what not….the latest gossip was about a certain contest that the school held every year.

 

One student, a long haired raven beauty, stood at her locker as she was entering the combination of her lock while hearing the gossip that was going on beside her. She didn’t care about it personally but what could she do if it was right beside her? She didn’t bother to look at them since it was none of her business anyway.

 

"Hey Yuuka, you heard about that one student who’s going to enter the Summer Cooking Contest?" a female voice questioned, waiting for a reply. Another female next to her was heard, humming a ‘mmm hmmm’ in reply.

 

"You mean that new kid who started a challenge against the cooking rivals Eunbi and Chaeyeon?"

 

"Yeah! She was saying all sorts of stuff to rile and hype the contest up!" the first girl babbled loudly with excitement.

 

The raven-haired student stopped after hearing the names of the two since she was a part of Eunbi’s group of friends but was also acquainted with Chaeyeon as well. Her ears perked up as she went slower in what she was doing so that she could hear them better.

 

"You sure? I heard it was more like bullying them or something? Either way, being a new kid who challenges those 2 is asking for a death wish in this school. Both of them have so many fans because of their rivalry that I hope that they don’t go after her...." The second girl’s voice grew worried, knowing that popular students always had followers that would defend their student idols just like any other kind of idol.

 

"I was there when it happened and it was definitely not bullying, she doesn’t even know the 2 of them. She just hyped up her skills and basically said ‘I’m the best, whoever enters better step their game up!’ and that’s the whole truth. But anyway, just thinking about it pumps me up for some reason!” The raven-haired student could hear the quick rustling of the first student’s uniform as if she was quickly moving her arms in excitement.

 

*CLUNK* *Clunk* *CLUNK*

 

“These darn lockers! *siiiiiiighhhh* Also, why does it pump you up anyway?” the second girl questioned as she finally closed her locker.

 

"I mean why not? What if she's a really good cook and manages to break their heated rivalry into a 3 way battle royale? It'll be the old guard versus the new blood and it'll add life to the competition!" she said vigorly and full of excitement. The raven-haired girl beside them nodded in agreement even if she couldn’t see them. Being a Junior, the first year Eunbi and Chaeyeon had their rivalry didn’t get huge until the 2nd year when people spread word about how great their first year of battle was.

 

"Why don't we count the other student cooks?"

 

The first girl laughed at the question for a bit as if it was absurd.

 

"Because nobody even came close to challenging those 2 these past few years, seriously! They’ve been the only ones who’ve been taking over ever since Shiraishi Mai graduated 4 years ago. This girl though, she's got spunk and I know she’ll give them competition! Also don’t take it from me but…..she’s actually pretty beautiful."

 

*TSK*

 

“I bet she’s no Kim Minju…..” she then whispered. “Or Kang Hyewon who’s right beside us.”

 

A silent but noticeable giggle came forth from the first girl. “Well I’ve seen her and I can attest that she’s beautiful. Heck, I’d say it’s a 3 way tie honestly.” the first girl whispered despite not knowing Hyewon could still hear them. “…..now let’s hurry and get to class, we’re gonna be late if we stay any longer.”

 

With a few clunks and clangs of the locker doors being shut beside her, Hyewon took a quick peek at the 2 girls who were leaving her with questions now in her mind.

 

“Someone’s challenging Eunbi unnie and Chaeyeon huh?” Her voice was low in tone yet was still interested in the gossip that she heard.

 

Gathering the things she needed, she finally closed her locker and wondered how the next few weeks will be since the Summer Cooking Contest starts in a week and a half.

 

“Interesting...”

 

-----------

 

The “Culinary Contest of the 4 Seasons”

 

A contest at the prestigious Tokyo International Academy that lasts for the whole school year, from the start in April, all the way to the end of it in March of the next year. The contest is split into seasons with the Summer contest being the first and the Spring contest being the last. For those who win one season of the contest, they'll win ¥270,000 (roughly $2500) along with the trophy of that season. If a student manages to score at least 3 wins by the Spring Contest, they’ll get a hefty bonus: a ¥1,600,000 check (roughly $15,000) and the renowned prized Golden Culinary Trophy. Those who win the whole 4 seasons will win a ¥2,600,000 check (roughly $25,000) alongside the rare and most valuable, Platinum Culinary Trophy.

 

Only one student has been able to claim the prize so far and that was 4 years ago. Her name? Shiraishi Mai. 2 students, Senior Kwon Eunbi, and Junior Lee Chaeyeon, always came close but never had back to back wins as they snatched wins from each other between the seasons. 3 years ago, ever since the then Freshmen Chaeyeon issued a challenge to Sophomore Eunbi, it sparked a rivalry between the two and made the contest become a popular subject among the school students every year, leading to an almost celebrity-like situation for the two and the contest itself.

 

Since school starts in April and ends in March in Japan, the Summer Contest ends in the middle of June, The Autumn Contest ends in late September, The Winter Contest Ends in late December and The Spring Contest ends in mid March, right before the end of school.

 

Being weeks after the start of school already, flyers were being lined around the hallways here and there promoting the event. Students from years before started to hype up the event to Freshmen and transfer students like it was a new tradition, which it was nowadays. As the Summer Cooking Contest registration came close a week before the actual contest, participants who entered were told to promote themselves through short videos to promote themselves and hype up the contest, which was quite popular among most of the school crowd since it showed their distinct personalities like the world of idols would.

 

A special section in the school auditorium is used to promote the students through PR videos for 2 weeks of the contest where students could vote on their favorite promo for raffle tickets to become judges for the contest itself. This was new this year and was highly debated in the School Council but they went ahead and put it forth for this year despite protests here and there just to test it out. The videos are shared through the internet via a social media account created by the school and while the videos never were huge hits before, there was one new student in particular that has been causing a huge stir, going viral within the school and causing a bit of controversy in the process. Students wondered how the promo video even got through but since the contest was becoming so popular, it created hype that only grew bigger and bigger that it became the main gossip of the school. The 9th contestant in the contest out of 10 contestants, “Feisty 9th Chan” nicknamed her that as she started to gain notoriety because of her video.

 

-----------

 

Promo Video: First Contestant. Video name: “The Last Fire Burns Bright.”

 

The video opened up with a beautiful crimson-haired woman standing behind a podium in the middle of a classroom. She was dressed neatly in her grey and red colored school uniform as she smiled in front of the camera, showing a set of pearly whites that even the Sun would envy in it’s brightness. She clasped her hands and put it on the podium in front of her, giving a vibe of a confident leader in her stance and aura.

 

"Hello, I'm Kwon Eunbi of Senior Class: 4A.” She bowed deeply towards the camera and as she rose back up, her demeanor changed into something more serious….almost intimidating in a way.

 

“I, Kwon Eunbi, stand here to proclaim that I will ‘reclaim’ my throne after my loss last Spring to my rival, the talented dancer and fierce cook, Lee Chaeyeon.”

 

She stepped to the side and raised her hand to present a poster of an elaborate gold trophy that was shown on the white board behind the podium.

 

“Losing to her caused me to lose the prize, the prestigious Golden Culinary Trophy and that caused a fire to ignite within me, a fire that burns even brighter than before.”

 

Oddly, some really well done special effects were added of a fire burning through the screen, enveloping the whole of it until everything grew dark. A gust of wind was heard along with a snap of a finger. A small flame grew in the darkness at the center of the screen where Eunbi’s hand was seen. She held it and flicked it with another snap of her fingers, showing herself in the classroom again. She was there at the podium, now with eyes growing fierce as she unclasped her hands, placed it on the edges of the podium and leaned forward. The camera zoomed in a bit on her face, showing off her determination to win.

 

“Since I'm a Senior now, this will be my final year at Tokyo International Academy so I'll be sure to turn up the heat for this competition and give it my all.” she addressed as she rose one fist in front of her.

 

“To those who’ve supported me these past few years, look forward to seeing my progress during the Summer Contest and beyond. Thank you all for watching and may the best competitor win."

 

She bowed again to end the video as it faded into black with a single flame coming back, burning brightly in the center. Short, to the point as always and now with a little bit of special effects, her promo was straightforward just as the past few years she’s done it but now symbolized her hope to win.

 

-----------

 

Promo Video: Second Contestant. Video name: “Bring it!”

 

As the video started, the scenery was that of a brightly lit dance studio. A long haired blonde woman was seen goofing around as she danced into view, being cheerful all the way as she captured the camera with her charms in her casual black sweatpants and sporty tank top. Her movements were slick and smooth, rotating her arms, spinning her legs and every other part imaginable in expert fashion as she ended her dance in a twist of her body, hair following behind in mesmerising fashion. She began moonwalking towards the camera and bowed. She looked off camera towards someone off screen.

 

"Hehehehe...is it okay to start now?”

 

After confirmation, she gave a thumbs up to the person and towards the camera, flashing a huge grin as she started her speech.

 

“Great! For those who’re watching, I’m sorry that I’m always busy and can’t make a better promo but hey everyone, it's me, the one and only dancing feather Lee Chaeyeon of Junior Class: 3C!” She flashed a quick peace sign before coming closer to the camera.

 

“I've heard things circulating here and there but I'm here to show you that the Cooking Queen shall stay reigning! I’m aiming to start this year off with a win so old challengers or new, bring it!” she gestured towards the camera with a c’mon with her hands, shooting another wide grin for the camera.

 

“I know it will be a difficult battle between Eunbi unnie and I but considering how far we pushed each other for these past 3 years, I hope we can make it a memorable event...one that students will talk about for years to come!” She raised both her hands and shook them in front of her.

 

“So thanks to my friends and fans for always supporting me through the years and hopefully I'll keep you entertained in the contest! Love you all, Chaeyeon out~!!! PEACE!!"

 

She ended her video blowing some kisses towards the camera and waved goodbye before moonwalking back out as it shut off when she went off screen. For those who’ve known her, they said it was very Chaeyeon-like and suited her fun yet hardworking personality.

 

-----------

 

Promo Video: Ninth Contestant. Video name: “I don’t care, just name it something.”

 

The start of the video began with the shot of the camera facing downwards to the concrete on the ground. Despite facing down, it looked to be outside in the morning since the rays of the sun pierced the ground with it’s bright glow.

 

"This is my 5th take already…...and why can’t we use my 3rd one since it was the best one?” a voice, feminine yet deep, stated with a hint of annoyance in her tone.

 

Off screen voices were heard besides the primary voice as the screen started to shake a little.

 

“Because of excessive cursing? S########, you can take the gal outta the neighborhood but ya can’t take the neighborhood outta the gal, aite? Please, just put one of these videos through for goodness sake and just blur that s### out or something. I mean, do I really have to do this dumb promo? It makes me feel like a politician scrounging for votes or somethin’.”

 

The camera finally pulled up on the contestant herself but it was a bit blurry.

 

“Really? Jeez...fine. Should just keep it simple honestly...it’s just a cooking contest.”

 

The cameraman finally got the camera to focus, showing a short haired brunette sitting outside on a school bench as she leaned her elbows on the top part of the table behind her. She had her school uniform on but it was a bit unkempt and covered by a varsity jacket that didn’t belong to the school since it said “Majisuka High Rollers” on the side of it’s sleeves. She had a lollipop in and her legs were crossed, showing a covered but generous amount of her nicely toned legs. Her posture gave her a cocky yet confident aura as she let an annoyed sigh out, watching someone from off camera with her piercing brown orbs.

 

She pointed at them. “Wait….is that a mic? Does it work and can I use it as a prop……...really? Nice. Could you also put a good amount of cloth on the ground in front of me..……...a reason? Heh….don’t worry about it, baby.”

 

A girl came and gave her a mic and placed a piece of cloth on the floor as she asked. She let a smile grow on her face as she finally faced the camera for the first time.

 

“The name’s Sakura. Miya-waki Saku-ra...Miyawaki Sakura. Junior Class: 3A.” her voice echoed loudly in the open outside area thanks to the mic, startling a few people in the back and grabbing the attention of passersby along the way.

 

Her eyes shifted off camera as if she was watching people off screen. Not a few moments later, some random students passed by, looking at her interest as they stopped a few meters away while standing in the back like background characters. Sakura lost interest in them and finally looked back, holding the mic like she was about to spit some sick rhymes or the like.

 

“As you all know, I’m the new bit-….s###..….the new ’witch’ around here….and I’m here to make a name for myself. I don't know who is entering in this contest, nor do I friggin’ care, but I'm comin' for that cookin’ trophy.”

 

She leaned forward, tilting her head upwards a bit and showing a very noticeable Adam's apple, which also helps explain her deep voice.

 

"I've been hearing about these top 2 contestants and their rivalry for the past few weeks since this started so I thought, 'A pair? Why not a ?’. A lit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter